3 points or cup progression?

SNSUN

Ok it's been touched on before, but I thought I'd post this to gauge opinions. Of course we all want to beat Stoke twice this week. And we hope it happens. But, hypothetically, next Thursday comes and we've won one and lost one.

So which game would you rather us win? League or cup?

For me, I'd like us to keep up the pressure in the league, so 3 points please, in the hope we can make a dent in the FA Cup instead.

Sorry but even to suggest us losing 3 points or the League Cup game to Stoke is OUT OF THE QUESTION under the WEMARCHON mentality Koeman is asking for us all. If we supporters can't raise our optimism and hopes, how the hell do we expect it of our players. This is Stoke afterall and on October this month Sunderland beat Stoke 3-1.

It was all the negative thinking amongst supporters that led to end of last seasons walkout by Shaw. Lallana, Lovren, Lambert, Chambers, not to mention Rickie Lambert. Scheiderlin says it was the depressing stories cooked up by the supporters that was behind him wanting to leave.

This right here is why the Stoke fans are annoyed with us :lol:

I didn't say we would definitely win both games but for example... Stoke are 5/1 to win tomorrow, I don't think its unreasonable to say we have a good chance of winning.

This might annoy them however... how many of their players would you want in our starting XI? None imo (possibly Begovic).

They'd likely say Begovic and Shawcross. Begovic vs Forster is debatable, but Shawcross really wouldn't suit our style of play compared to Alderweireld or Fonte as ball playing centre backs.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Some people don't seem to understand what a hypothetical question is. Of course we want to win both.

Things are looking good in the league but fact is we won't finish top 4 and it's unlikely that we will be top 6 come May so a cup win would be great.

Yes, indeed.

tumblr_m643u2dYIn1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

Comes down to one question.... Where do we think we are headed in the league?

Top 6? In which case, we may qualify for europe directly... Do you want to risk that for a cup exit to chelsea etc before the final and give up 3 points in the league.

Outside the top 6 - I'd take the cup win...

Dare I mention the remote outside chance of top 4 (we'll know better in december ^_^), in which case I'd take the league all day bloody long!

Its a pointless question as there is a good chance Saints will win both.

Agreed it is an utterly pointless discussion which by its very nature has a negative slant to it. Stop bl00dy worrying about "if I had a choice which one would I lose" question and full steam ahead for our league and cup run. No reason whatsoever why one is at the expense of the other.

Do you think Chelsea fans sit there worrying oh if we beat Maribor I hope we don't lose to Man Utd, oh I'd much rather lose the cup game oh deary me"

Chances are we'll see a fair few Stoke changes for the cup game and we'll certainty see defensive changes for us with Targett in and Gardos / Toby switching.

If it really was down to a choice of one or the other, I'd have to plump for a chance at a bit of silverware and a trip to wembley.

But I very much doubt RK is even remotely thinking along those lines, and I can only see us going hell for leather to win both games. A changed side for the cup game certainly, but a strong one.

Agreed it is an utterly pointless discussion which by its very nature has a negative slant to it. Stop bl00dy worrying about "if I had a choice which one would I lose" question and full steam ahead for our league and cup run. No reason whatsoever why one is at the expense of the other.

Do you think Chelsea fans sit there worrying oh if we beat Maribor I hope we don't lose to Man Utd, oh I'd much rather lose the cup game oh deary me"

Chances are we'll see a fair few Stoke changes for the cup game and we'll certainty see defensive changes for us with Targett in and Gardos / Toby switching.

Would you rather lose an arm and win on Saturday but lose on Tuesday or go blind and win both?

Points on the board every time. The League Cup is not worth half as much as the F.A. Cup. If we have a decent amount of points on the board by January, go for the Cup by all means. Until then, we need as many points as possible. Never take Premier safety for granted.

Paddy Power have us at 8/1 for a top 4 finish, 7/4 for a top 6 finish and 12/1 for a League Cup win. To me those are surprisingly short odds for Top 4 and Top 6 and surprisingly long odds for the League Cup.

Anyway, back to the original question, I'd take the cup game win - that would leave us only 3 wins away from silverware.

At least I am confident that we will give it a go this year. Last year's limp effort against Sunderland still rankles.

Agreed it is an utterly pointless discussion

Do you think Chelsea fans sit there worrying oh if we beat Maribor I hope we don't lose to Man Utd, oh I'd much rather lose the cup game oh deary me.

Have you thought the question may have been posed to stimulate debate over which competition holds most value? Given the responses there is not consensus. Few seem to be 'worried'

Kneecap every time especially as winter is coming

A sensible choice. Should you have a sudden headache or be struck down with flu symptoms it would be handy to have a supply of paracetamol on tap to fight off the onset. Even more so if it came about during your enjoyment of what would be two excellent victories.