Stoke 2 Saints 3 - Match & Reactions

Wiggles31

MotM vs Stoke (Away 2014/15 League Cup)  

243 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Stoke (Away 2014/15 League Cup)

• Forster
    • Targett
    • Clyne
    • Gardos
    • Fonte
    • Schneiderlin
    • Wanyama
    • Davis, S
    • Long
    • Tadic
    • Pelle
    • Cork
    • Alderweireld

Driving up with the nipper for this one ... what's the parking like near/around the ground?

Not great - it's very easy to get to the ground but parking can be a pain. I always park on Sir Stanley Matthews Way - there are several manufacturing / industrial organisations based on that road who charge the public to use their car park and also some wasteland which can be parked on. It can get busy and be a pain getting out but it's the best place I've found to park over the years. I always enter that road via the A5035 as well as it gets very busy around the ground.

It is our best chance of success. People saying "wait for the FA Cup" are ridiculous as we can be in the semis of this before we kick a ball in the FA Cup, that's two legs away from Wembley.

I will be gutted if we go out, but I doubt RK will treat the cups with the contempt that Argentine did. We'll be giving it a go.

You will be gutted if we lose so I take it you are going to this game to support the team? Quite a close one for you isn't it?

I'd like to see Reed get a runout in this game.

I was expecting to see more of this bro, not because I particularly think he's anywhere near Morgan+Cork+Wanyama+Davies, or even JWP at the mo, but he was talked up a lot in pre-season, and though it smacks a bit of nepotism in his particular case it is the Southampton Way to give such bros a chance.

There seem to be two schools of thought going into this one.

1) Pick the best available team because the Cup matters and we don't want a repeat of last year's Sunderland.

2) Bring on the changes.

I think 2 is the right answer here... for two reasons:

--> Unlike Sunderland last year it really is all to play for still in the League. We could end up top six, conceivably top four. We can't compromise that main goal. In terms of building for Saints future, 6th + no cup, is probably better than 8th + cup. (I know some will disagree.)

--> We have far, far better depth of squad than last year. There are many spectacular players who need game time. Rotating them in will boost their confidence and ability for the time when we will need them in the middle of the winter.

Therefore I personally would support a fair number of changes for this one. Certainly all those the OP recommends (Long, Gardos, Wanyama) but also Targett, Reed and maybe even Yoshida. The three people it's dangerous to rest are Pelle, Tadic, and Schneiderlin (in that order). They are at the heart of the engine that has powered us to 2nd place. Not sure how well the team will function without any one of them, let alone all 3. But for that very reason, if they are showing signs of tiredness, we need to look out for them. Maybe rest Tadic for this one, but have him ready to come in 2nd half if it's not working w/o him. I'd also love to see Isgrove coming in as a sub if he's fit again (anyone know?)

The other riddle is whether Fonte could use a rest game. He's turned out to be an amazing leader, but was looking wobbly by the end on Sat. Maybe he could lead from the bench on this one. Yoshida has been impressive this season. And Clyne is such a key player for us... but I wonder if he too is in danger of being overstretched.

I don't think it would be crazy to go with:

Forster

Toby, Yoshida, Gardos, Targett

Wanyama, Morgan ©, Reed

Long, Pelle, Mane

Bench: K Davis, Tadic, S Davis, Fonte, Clyne, Isgrove, Cork

That tier 2 defense would probably ship a goal, but I still think we'd come away 3-1. It's amazing that we could make 6 changes and still put out a fantastic team.

p.s. One final reason to welcome some changes. It will screw up Stoke's planning. They have just had 90 minutes of one team. Why not surprise them?

Edited by NewYorkSaint
late add

I thought I read somewhere that Ron had already said he would not make more than three changes because the cup is so important. So Long and Wanyama I see coming in for Cork and Mane, Tadic or Pelle. Personally I think Tadic is OK. He got a dead leg but should be fine for Wednesday. Similarly I think Pelle is not 100% and resting his foot might not be a bad idea but gven how improtant their link up play is, I suspect it is Mane that will step down to the bench.

It will be interesting because I think the second half changes on Saturday worked better for Stoke than for us. If that trend continues into a game where they have home advantage we will be lucky to get anything out of this tie. That said, I think Koeman will learn fro Saturday and has the tactical superiority. Never rated Hughes as a manager (or a Saints player) but he does seem to be getting better as he matures in age!

Because we won

I think we will win anyway

But will anyone have the hump if we don't and we make 4/5 changes?

My comment was attempting to highlight that some people seem to think that making "4 or 5 changes" is a negative thing to do in principle.

What you've highlight is correct: People will always say: "Changes were a good thing" if we win, but "changes were bad thing" if we lose, regardless of the fact that we could make zero changes and the could be exactly the same (not that we'd ever know).

To me, we should judge changes on their merit before the game, not on whether we happened to win or lose, as we'll never know whether it was the changes that caused us to lose. In other words, we could make 4 - 5 changes and lose 1-0 or make no changes and lose 2-0.

That said, I do appreciate I'm in danger of talking nonsense by thinking out loud on this subject matter :)

Edited by trousers

Agree with last.

What also hasn't been mentioned yet, but which imo is quite important is integrating some of the fringe players into the starting line up, not just to rest some men but so that when they are called up (not if) during the busy Dec Jan window they are better established.

It's all well and good saying we have cover, but getting them to step up and perform when we desperately need them and they haven't any game time is a big ask.

Targett has played both cup games so far, and, having been at them both, has looked very impressive. I thought at the Arsenal game he built on a solid performance vs Millwal.

Think Gardos will come in at the back, as he did with the Arsenal game where he looked very solid and I also think that Vic will start, as he was effective against Stoke when he came on against them on saturday. I think Pelle, Long and Mane will make up the front three with Tadic probably replacing Long at some point in the second half.

My team, for what it's worth, would be:

Forster

Clyne Fonte Gardos Targett

Cork Morgan Victor

Long Pelle Mane

I reckon we could beat Stoke for the second time this week, although being ignorant to their squad and how they play, I'm not sure what changes they are likely to make and what effect they would have. If Arnautavic or Assaidi start they could hurt us, I think that they are both very good players who have a good eye for goal, and I'm sure Bojan will want to get some game time. I wonder if the "next messi" can do it on a cold wednesday night in Stoke...

Alright Lads,

I think I'm going to go to this so does anyone know if I'll be able to buy a ticket up there or have I got to go through Saints ticket office?

I'm sure the info is all available if I bothered looking for it but thought I'd stick it on here and hope someone replies.

Today's U21 line up

@SouthamptonFC: #SaintsFCU21s team v @SunderlandAFC: Gazzaniga, Flannigan, McCarthy, Wood, Debayo, Gape, Reed, Hesketh, Sims, Rowe, Seager. #saintsfc

@SouthamptonFC: #SaintsFCU21s substitutes: Mugabi, Britt, Little, Willard, Barnes. #saintsfc

1st time I saw some of our lads tired on Saturday, as a result and with a deeper squad we must rest a few IMO.

REST

MORGAN, TADIC, FONTE, BERTRAND, PELLE.

TEAM

FORSTER

TARGETT

GARDOS

YOSHIDA

ALDERWIERELD (RB)

WANYAMA

CORK

DAVIS

MANE

LONG (CF)

MAYUKA

BENCH

RESTED PLAYERS

IMO

I'm traveling up with 3 more in the car. Let's bloody go for this!

For me, taking both Clyne AND Bertrand out of the lineup would take too much away from our wing play. The impact of their runs and overlaps can't be overstated.

Today's U21 line up

@SouthamptonFC: #SaintsFCU21s team v @SunderlandAFC: Gazzaniga, Flannigan, McCarthy, Wood, Debayo, Gape, Reed, Hesketh, Sims, Rowe, Seager. #saintsfc

@SouthamptonFC: #SaintsFCU21s substitutes: Mugabi, Britt, Little, Willard, Barnes. #saintsfc

Looks like Reed won't be involved on Wednesday then.

I'd go for: Forster, Targett, Fonte, Gardos, Clyne, Wanyama, Morgan, Davis, Tadic, Long, Pelle.

Bench: K. Davis, Alderweireld, Yoshida, Cork, Isgrove, Gallagher, Mane

Alright Lads,

I think I'm going to go to this so does anyone know if I'll be able to buy a ticket up there or have I got to go through Saints ticket office?

I'm sure the info is all available if I bothered looking for it but thought I'd stick it on here and hope someone replies.

Pay on the gate tomorrow confirmed

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20141027-stoke-city-cup-tickets-pay-on-the-day-2044044.aspx

Got a feeling there will be quite a few making a late decision and travelling up to pay on the day with it being half term, half of the group i'm travelling with are going to buy their tickets once we get up there , and i notice above we have already sold 3 blocks based on block numbers people are getting, we'll have more up there midweek in the cup then they brought to us in the league (and had free coach travel), good support from us.

Personally would play this:

Forster

Alderweireld, Gardos, Yoshida, Targett

Wanyama, Cork, Reed? Or Davis

Mayuka, Long, Isgrove

Really good pace up top, and Tadic, Pelle and Schneiderlin to come on when needed :)

Defence should be solid plus we have Wanyama and Cork who are great defensive shields. Reed for game time tbh, but Davis would be great.

The post I quoted which you wrote stated

"Will depend on how we lose and the team put out."

if that does not say we will lose I do not know what does?

Well it doesn't. How about reading the post I replied to before you read my reply.

(Lickle Hint: the post before by Batman talks about fan reaction if we lose, which I then comment on).

Happy to help. Christ.

Well it doesn't. How about reading the post I replied to before you read my reply.

(Lickle Hint: the post before by Batman talks about fan reaction if we lose, which I then comment on).

Happy to help. Christ.

I know it is nearly November and Pantomime season but this is getting ridiculous for the life of me did you or did you not state

We all know the answer to that is Yes

in my befuddled mind that actually says by you "will depend on how we lose"

so how in any state of affairs is that not saying we will lose ?

harping back to previous posts does not alter the fact of your statement.

I know it is nearly November and Pantomime season but this is getting ridiculous for the life of me did you or did you not state

English isn't your first language, I get it.

Still no word from CB Fry on whether he's making the relatively short trip to tomorrow's game. You'd think someone who spends a lot of time on a football forum would jump at the chance to see his team play in a game which he deems so important, a game that isn't much of a journey for him.

Strange.

Odd. He was clearly referring to Batman's hypothetical "what if we lose" post.

Personally would play this:

Forster

Alderweireld, Gardos, Yoshida, Targett

Wanyama, Cork, Reed? Or Davis

Mayuka, Long, Isgrove

Really good pace up top, and Tadic, Pelle and Schneiderlin to come on when needed :)

Defence should be solid plus we have Wanyama and Cork who are great defensive shields. Reed for game time tbh, but Davis would be great.

What was the point in putting out a very strong side vs Millwall and Arsenal if you then go and rest a lot of players in the 4th round? It appears Koeman is taking the cup seriously, which is a good thing.

Still no word from CB Fry on whether he's making the relatively short trip to tomorrow's game. You'd think someone who spends a lot of time on a football forum would jump at the chance to see his team play in a game which he deems so important, a game that isn't much of a journey for him.

Strange.

No one gives a sh*t. Other than you, evidently.

Driving up with the nipper for this one ... what's the parking like near/around the ground?

BMW Mini Garage on the trading park below the Britannia have parking on Saturdays round the back so hopefully midweek too (only a well spent £5 2 years ago), and its a short walk up the hill to the ground, best of all after the game whoosh you are out on the open road before most have even gotten near the exit gates of closer parking.

Just had a chat with a 'Potter' neighbour.He and his mates don't care if they lose this one because "It's league points we need unlike you lucky buggers who are flying" Let's hope Hughes is of the same frame of mind!

probably right. They are home to West Ham at the weekend, who are flying themselves.

They have a run of the big boys in a few weeks and they currently sit 3 points above the bottom 3.

Maybe, they will make a few more changes than normal tomorrow night

I think we will win this one.

What was the point in putting out a very strong side vs Millwall and Arsenal if you then go and rest a lot of players in the 4th round? It appears Koeman is taking the cup seriously, which is a good thing.

Weak side yes- but I genuinely think we can beat Stoke with that- albeit not 3/4-0. Defensively we'd be sound and I reckon we could get a goal or two with that.

- The squad are staying up north for both the Stoke and Hull games rather than coming back to Southampton.

- Sadio Mané is a doubt for the Stoke game with an ankle injury.

- Koeman confirms he won't make many changes. I think Targett will replace Bertrand, Long for Mané and possibly a start for Wanyama.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Wanyama was about the only one to get any change from circus freak Crouch in the air on Saturday....so should probably play.

I'm not sure we tried to stop Crouch seems to me we let him have the ball and made sure we were first to the knockdowns. If we really want to stop crouch man to man surely Gardos is the man for the job?