Saints vs Sheffield Utd (A) Capital One Quarter Final

Bearsy

Tuesday 16th December. Game before is Burnley away and the game after is Everton at home.

Think I could be in line for my first visit to Sheffield here!

Definitely played on that day? I know we're almost certain not to be picked for TV but don't want to book holiday just yet in case...

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/saints.36634/ They seem to be happy enough. Their confidence rather reminds me of ours when we had Utd in the FA Cup.

Hope they give us the battering that Villa, Fulham and West Ham gave us! This is a great draw.

Why do I find it slightly insulting that this guy lumps us in with those **** teams.

Went to Sheffield Uni so delighted at this. Looking forward to returning!

Same we'll went to Hallam staying there this weekend while we go to Hull, but this is excellent. Student night in Sheffield just before Christmas. Excellent. Should get both top and bottom tiers at Sheff Utd too.

Should win, but by no means a foregone conclusion. Good atmosphere at Bramall Lane which should lift them, they've done well in cups of late

Been to Bramall Lane a couple of times in the past with Saints and it will be a good atmosphere.

Always liked Sheff Utd. for no other reason than the stripes!

Should be a good match as they will certainly raise thier game so have to agree with no foregone conclusion

Another long haul midweek but will be a 'proper' cup tie. One thing's for sure, their crowd will be the leveller, noisy f*ckers on their day. Been there a couple of times, their 'kop' is a cracker, we should have a few up there so can add to the atmosphere.

Optimism understandable (on paper but this IS the cup) but let's not get complacent.

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/saints.36634/ They seem to be happy enough. Their confidence rather reminds me of ours when we had Utd in the FA Cup.

I don't normally read through other forums, but a lot of the comments on there were really good and funny, such as this ****-take on the press

"Second placed Southampton, who won the FA Cup in 1976 and used to have BBC bell-end Alan Shearer and Sky ****whistle Matt le Tissier playing for them sometime back travel up into the grim north to play Welsh-born Ched 'RAPIST' Evanseses's team (if he signs for them) Sheffield Wednesday ... hang on ... Sheffield United. United, who also play in red and white stripes and are called The Blades (I think) and are managed by former England manager Brian Clough.

Southampton, from the south of England beat other northern ****s Sunderland 10-0 last week and are that confident they'll win everything, they sold all their players, for a laff. They play in a big, beautiful stadium whereas Sheffield Wedn ... United play on a piece of land near the town centre where men in flat caps race whippets, bum sheep and dig coal. It says on Wikipedia that Sheffield used to be famous for knives and stuff and Olympic sprinter Jessica Rabbit comes from there but she lives in LONDON now with her boyfriend. My forecast for this game is Sheffield 0 - 31 SAINTS."

Looking forward to this one - I really like sheffield - great real ale city - and there is an excellent Industrial museum together with a great brewery at Kelham Island - last time I was there was when we played wednesday in the championship and league 1 (them were t'days!!)

Our game is almost certain to be on the Tuesday, along with Derby v Chelsea.

On the preceding Sunday, it's Man United v Liverpool and Swansea v Spurs, so both Liverpool and Spurs will probably be given the extra day. All the other 6 teams in the quarter-finals play on the Saturday.

Tuesday 16th:

Derby v Chelsea (TV)

Sheffield United v Saints

Wednesday 17th:

Bournemouth v Liverpool (TV)

Tottenham v Newcastle

Some of their fans have some odd ideas, from our formation to our recruitment policy.

Posted 30 Oct 2014 07:01

re: Blades home v Saints.

great tie against top side I am sure our 4-6-0 against their 3-1-6 will give them something to think about as said keep the price down and lets fill the lane

e: Blades home v Saints.

Saints preseve us from any further involvement in any other competition apart from the league and our promotion ambitions. Having said that I've a long standing grudge against Saints as they were the 1st club to employ that disabled people hating git, Glen Hoddle after he was sacked from the England job

I think it's a great tie.

Southampton lie in 2nd but we have them at home.

West Ham are now 3rd and we beat them away.

Never underestimate the home crowd.

It's QF time. We're in the third tier. We were always going to get a challenging tie.

Saints are the team of the moment. Far more interesting than getting Chelsea or Liverpool for me.

I know it's early but a couple of bits of advice for those planning on driving up...

There are ongoing roadworks on the M1 at the moment between junctions 28-32, with average speed cameras and no hard shoulder, so avoid this if you can. Best bet is to come off at junction 29 and head into Chesterfield on the A617, then pick up the A61 into Sheffield. This brings you in to town right near Bramall Lane anyway.

Avoid any of the pubs in the immediate vicinity of the ground. They are all complete sh*tholes and not very away-fan-friendly. The ground is only a short walk from the city centre and there are lots of good boozers there, although stay away from West Street or Division Street as most of the bars in that area will not let you in wearing football colours. The Old Monk, off the square right next to the Crucible theatre is a decent option. Alternatively, there are a couple of really good pubs in Heeley which are away fan friendly. The Sheaf View and the newly re-opened Brothers arms just up the hill are both only about a 15 minute walk from the ground, and both have a very good range of reasonably-priced beers.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

Has our game been confirmed for the Tue? (not seen that anywhere, just the TV games)

Not yet, but Sheffield United play midweek games on Tuesdays where possible, and even if they were being dictated to by the Football League in order to keep an even balance for Tuesday and Wednesday, the Spurs game will be on Wednesday as they play on the preceding Sunday.

I've booked my train and hotel for the Tuesday already.

Any idea what sort of allocation we'll get for this? From memory Sheffield United usually give away fans the entire bottom tier behind a goal. At least they did the last time I was there (the 2-1 win back in around 2007 (I think!) with Viafara and Rasiak scoring and Beattie getting all manner of stick from the Saints fans :lol:)

Any idea what sort of allocation we'll get for this? From memory Sheffield United usually give away fans the entire bottom tier behind a goal. At least they did the last time I was there (the 2-1 win back in around 2007 (I think!) with Viafara and Rasiak scoring and Beattie getting all manner of stick from the Saints fans :lol:)

The lower tier holds 3000, and can't be segregated, so we should get at least that. In theory, they're supposed to offer us the upper tier for cup games as well, which would take it to 5000, but that's probably unrealistic given the time of year and location.

Not yet, but Sheffield United play midweek games on Tuesdays where possible, and even if they were being dictated to by the Football League in order to keep an even balance for Tuesday and Wednesday, the Spurs game will be on Wednesday as they play on the preceding Sunday.

I was thinking of doing that now too.

It's my wife's 40th birthday on the Tuesday, so had very been much been hoping for the game to be played on the Wednesday. Damn and twice damn.

I know it's early but a couple of bits of advice for those planning on driving up...

There are ongoing roadworks on the M1 at the moment between junctions 28-32, with average speed cameras and no hard shoulder, so avoid this if you can. Best bet is to come off at junction 29 and head into Chesterfield on the A617, then pick up the A61 into Sheffield. This brings you in to town right near Bramall Lane anyway.

Avoid any of the pubs in the immediate vicinity of the ground. They are all complete sh*tholes and not very away-fan-friendly. The ground is only a short walk from the city centre and there are lots of good boozers there, although stay away from West Street or Division Street as most of the bars in that area will not let you in wearing football colours. The Old Monk, off the square right next to the Crucible theatre is a decent option. Alternatively, there are a couple of really good pubs in Heeley which are away fan friendly. The Sheaf View and the newly re-opened Brothers arms just up the hill are both only about a 15 minute walk from the ground, and both have a very good range of reasonably-priced beers.

Sheaf View is a top pub. Used to go there loads when I lived in Sheffield, great for ale drinkers and also has some great European beers.

Would stay away from the ones by the station, apart from the Globe which is pretty decent for a yellow card pub.

Staying up there this weekend and going to hull on the train, fully intending on visiting the bars on division street, some nice pubs down there.

They play Tuesday nights so they can all go to Crystal on a Tuesday night! Recommend it for any younger people intending in staying up for the night. And Spearmint Rhinos is cheap on a Tuesday night. Haha

It's the full stand, so about 5k if necessary, 2/3k would be decent turnout from our boys.

Looking forward to this one - I really like sheffield - great real ale city - and there is an excellent Industrial museum together with a great brewery at Kelham Island - last time I was there was when we played wednesday in the championship and league 1 (them were t'days!!)

No offence mate but who the **** goes to a museum on an away day?

Sheaf View is a top pub. Used to go there loads when I lived in Sheffield, great for ale drinkers and also has some great European beers.

Would stay away from the ones by the station, apart from the Globe which is pretty decent for a yellow card pub.

Staying up there this weekend and going to hull on the train, fully intending on visiting the bars on division street, some nice pubs down there.

The Sheffield Tap right next to the main entrance of the station is OK. Serves some nice beers anyway.