General Election 2015

trousers

Sorry guys. If you think that the phase in of 40GW of renewable energy generation by 2020 is practical I'll leave you to it! Also to add that because of intermittency, 40GW installed is about 10GW average (if you use a 25% capacity load figure which is about right for onshore wind). Nice ideas, thoroughly impractical.

Never mind the network infrastructure work required to actually enable such an ambitious policy....

In short it won't happen

Almost sad to see how out of touch the Labour Paarty is with large swathes of the working people of this country.

But a bit harsh her having to resign for that, just her opinion.

Got to laugh at Alan Johnson on This Week." Emily came from a poor background herself" . According to some on Twitter her Dad was a prof, from kings collage who went on to become assistant Secretary General of the UN , my the poverty she must have known. Poor girl .

What makes it funny is that "she's done nothing wrong" according to senior labour figures, why resign then? Like Browns bigot moment it's more proof that this elite labour leadership despise the working people they claim to stand up for.

I would seriously be considering banning my MPs from twitter for the next 6 months or so - they are almost as bad as footballers for daft posts. At least the footballers are expected to have pea sized intellects, what worries me is that this may be the case for the people running (or intending to run) the country.

They don't need to fight back, they just need to allow UKIP to bleed tory votes.

It's Labour's to lose, even with the fuuckwit in charge.

Oh I think that UKIP will take votes off Labour as well as the Torys because working class voters are as much (if not more) effected by the immigration and EU issues as any group in society is. I also suspect that Labour's dire troubles in their traditional Scottish heartland, and a possible collapse in the Lib Dem vote everywhere, may well play into the Conservatives hands.

As ever - only time will tell.

Oh I think that UKIP will take votes off Labour as well as the Torys because working class voters are as much (if not more) effected by the immigration and EU issues as any group in society is. I also suspect that Labour's dire troubles in their traditional Scottish heartland, and a possible collapse in the Lib Dem vote everywhere, may well play into the Conservatives hands.

Living in "The North" UKIP doesn't seem to have the same widespread support as it does in the shires but no doubt they will take some Labour votes but Labour can afford to lose some votes in the north, more than the tories can in the south.

Wouldn't be shocked to see the SNP & UKIP holding the balance of power.

Living in "The North" UKIP doesn't seem to have the same widespread support as it does in the shires but no doubt they will take some Labour votes but Labour can afford to lose some votes in the north, more than the tories can in the south.

Wouldn't be shocked to see the SNP & UKIP holding the balance of power.

Where Labour had to fight in the North, it was usually against the Lib Dems. UKIP will be their main fight now, I reckon - and I can perhaps see them nicking some of the more affluent constituencies, but the sheer weight of Labour is huge in these parts. Some of the safest Labour seats in the country are right here. I don't think UKIP will make an electoral impact, but the swings in hardcore Labour constituencies like Bootle and Knowsley might be a good litmus test of how much of the working class vote UKIP can attract.

UKIP could very well see themselves getting SDP'ed, where they achieve a huge raft of votes for bugger all seats, say five or six.

Might kick up a bit of collective outrage akin to the "the 45%" stuff in Scotland.

Just think, Farage's ultimate legacy could end up being, finally, a proportional voting system, just about the most Lib Demmy thing you could imagine.

The polling expert on By election special last night said that UKIP will present a greater danger to the Tory party in May, but long term from 2020 onwards could cause Labour real problems.

Should be an interesting election.

UKIP are going to rip the arse out of the Tory vote.

Labour have the worst leader I have ever known and will probably get destroyed by the SNP in Scotland.

Lib Dems are floundering.

Think we will get some funny results, I guess it will end up with a coalition of some sort, can see it being Con/UKIP v LAb/Libdem/SNP.

Should be an interesting election.

UKIP are going to rip the arse out of the Tory vote.

Labour have the worst leader I have ever known and will probably get destroyed by the SNP in Scotland.

Lib Dems are floundering.

Think we will get some funny results, I guess it will end up with a coalition of some sort, can see it being Con/UKIP v LAb/Libdem/SNP.

I wouldn't argue with that synopsis.

• 2 weeks later...

well, if you look back to the predictions from those who never voted for the Tories (and some LibDems), we would be in a real world of shyt by now.

is the UK really in a bad way considering the sheer state the country was in circa 2010???

Today it was announced that we are on course to be in the black, albeit longer than hoped for. but was it really going to be any other way?

sure, nothing it is perfect but on the right track?????

if you care that is as little is different between the two parties

Economists seems to think that the main effect of the stamp duty change will be that 'cheap' houses will become more expensive and 'expensive' houses will become cheaper.

So that'll help first time buyers then

That's what I like about Saintsweb. There's always someone on hand to highlight a potential negative to offset any positivity ;)

Economists seems to think that the main effect of the stamp duty change will be that 'cheap' houses will become more expensive and 'expensive' houses will become cheaper.

So that'll help first time buyers then

I think it will have limited impact on the lower end, especially when you consider the effect of demand for low cost housing and the lack of supply.

There is that interesting pilot scheme where the government are going to build houses for sale. Assuming they don't screw it up and blow the budget (entirely likely)', this might have legs. Typically the media were straight on the attack saying are you going to make a profit on these houses in tune with house builders. personally I think they shpuld and then they can roll that profit back into the next scheme or to subsidised social housing/key worker housing - perhaps make it a mixed development.

Sorry - should have put the rolling eyes thing. I was being sarcastic - it won't help first time buyers at all, as you have indicated too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30291460

Looking at it from a politically-neutral perspective ( ;) ), I would say that it probably won't make property any more affordable for first-timers, but it will probably increase the available supply.

God no, thats an awful idea.

Why is it a bad idea, apart from the fact that you have probably made some money on your house. It is not earned income, no one grafted for it, and it is not like you would miss the cash as you never had it in the first place. Certainly a lot more affordable than a buyer trying find £3 or £4 grand when then are trying to buy a house. It would also slow down the house price rises in the middle to upper end as people will have less to spend.

Why is it a bad idea, apart from the fact that you have probably made some money on your house. It is not earned income, no one grafted for it, and it is not like you would miss the cash as you never had it in the first place. Certainly a lot more affordable than a buyer trying find £3 or £4 grand when then are trying to buy a house. It would also slow down the house price rises in the middle to upper end as people will have less to spend.

That's the thing, I have worked for it. I have spent the last year and a half working every weekend to improve and convert my house, as well as spending £90k in the process doing it. What you are proposing would end up costing me nearly £100k. How is that fair?

That's the thing, I have worked for it. I have spent the last year and a half working every weekend to improve and convert my house, as well as spending £90k in the process doing it. What you are proposing would end up costing me nearly £100k. How is that fair?

Thats easy - you simply deduct the earned income from the CGT. You get an allowance for improvements. Ive made about £400,000 over the past 17 years simply by owning somewhere to live. It will cost me all that to help my kids onto the ridiculous property spiral caused by lack of building. Dont kid yourself you've earned the vast majority of the increase in the property.

Thats easy - you simply deduct the earned income from the CGT. You get an allowance for improvements. Ive made about £400,000 over the past 17 years simply by owning somewhere to live. It will cost me all that to help my kids onto the ridiculous property spiral caused by lack of building. Dont kid yourself you've earned the vast majority of the increase in the property.

But why not, it's my hard work and money and changing the house format that has brought about the increase in value.

But why not, it's my hard work and money and changing the house format that has brought about the increase in value.

Just your nouse then? Nothing to do with across the board house price inflation in an under supplied market, especially in the London TWA then? Righto.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/houseprices/10428918/House-prices-to-soar-in-Londons-commuter-belt.html

Just your nouse then? Nothing to do with across the board house price inflation in an under supplied market, especially in the London TWA then? Righto.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/houseprices/10428918/House-prices-to-soar-in-Londons-commuter-belt.html

There has not been an increase of anything like that where I live, but recognise there has been in the Esher, Cobham, Weybridge areas, hence why we left Weybridge. In the 18 months we've owned our house the comparable properties to ours from when we bought it have not changed in the slightest.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

There has not been an increase of anything like that where I live, but recognise there has been in the Esher, Cobham, Weybridge areas. In the 18 months we've owned our house the comparable properties to ours from when we bought it have not changed in the slightest.

Obviously I dont know your particular circumstances, but if house prices in the area you chose to buy in haven't changed for 18 months whilst the rest of the outer metropolitan are has risen by around 17.6%, doesn't that indicate something a bit worrying?

Obviously I dont know your particular circumstances, but if house prices in the area you chose to buy in haven't changed for 18 months whilst the rest of the outer metropolitan are has risen by around 17.6%, doesn't that indicate something a bit worrying?

Well yeah, which is why we've invested in changing the house to make money out of it. Our house was effectively a 2 up, 2 down with an extension on the side of the same size. However, due to the direction of the stairs the first floor extension was not attached to the rest of the house, and there was a separate staircase in the lounge (ground floor of extension) to that room. We have moved the stairs (one set removed, one set moved), converted into 4 bedrooms and put a single story extension on the back for a large kitchen diner. We've ripped everything out of the house including the windows, decked out back, paved the front and are building a 120 foot 6 foot high brick wall around the perimeter, as well as putting in a double drive and double carriage house. We've increases the square footage of the property by 1/3rd.

We live in Chertsey, and as such do not live on the Surbiton mainline which Esher, Weybridge and Walton are on. I can't guarantee that house prices have not gone up, but from looking at similar properties I can't see that they've gone up, and i do keep a pretty good eye on things. At the same time it's very difficult to judge as outer house was quite unique in what it offered when we bought it.