General Election 2015

trousers

Is it ironic that the Government is going to impose a requirement for Unions to need 40% of 'eligible' members to vote for a strike, when less than 25% of 'eligible' voters voted for the Government ?

Since when did the General Election become a binary choice? I must have missed that one. Still, I'm sure Alanis Morrisette can make a new verse out of your post.... ;)

Edited by trousers

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/brendan-oneill/2015/05/labour-lost-the-working-class-vote-a-long-time-ago/

All the talk of reviving Labour with a re-injection of New Labour or Blue Labour or Brownite Labour is like discussing what colour lipstick to put on a corpse. Labour is dead. Its soul — working-class voters — has gone. It’s now little more than a zombie party being puppet-mastered by metropolitan elites and the media classes in a bizarre political danse macabre. A Frankenstein escaped from the 20th century. Well, they can keep it, these Labour-sustaining luvvies, because working-class voters have no more need of it: they’ve made Labour a left-behind party.

Since when did the General Election become a binary choice? I must gave missed that one. Still, I'm sure Alanis Morrisette can make a new verse out of your post.... ;)

The result is binary; less than 25% voted Tory, over 75% didn't.:smug:

I think it's called hypocrisy :)

I'd call it comparing apples with oranges

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/brendan-oneill/2015/05/labour-lost-the-working-class-vote-a-long-time-ago/

All the talk of reviving Labour with a re-injection of New Labour or Blue Labour or Brownite Labour is like discussing what colour lipstick to put on a corpse. Labour is dead. Its soul — working-class voters — has gone. It’s now little more than a zombie party being puppet-mastered by metropolitan elites and the media classes in a bizarre political danse macabre.

Nail on head

I'd call it comparing apples with oranges

Nail on head

I read that article myself. Apart from the partisan vindictiveness, it raises some interesting points, particularly about the collapse of the working class vote in the 1980s.

Interesting, especially the last few categories which relate to class. Shows why so much time and effort is spent chasing the ABCs.

Somewhat makes a mockery of the percentages claimed by the article. At the same time, there are things not present in the raw numbers either, such as social mobility, which if you're getting a council house on the cheap, is quite possible.

Interesting, especially the last few categories which relate to class. Shows why so much time and effort is spent chasing the ABCs.

Somewhat makes a mockery of the percentages claimed by the article. At the same time, there are things not present in the raw numbers either, such as social mobility, which if you're getting a council house on the cheap, is quite possible.

Pre-UKIP, the working class vote for Labour has been broadly stable with a cyclical element - no doubt, reflecting the state of the economy and intangibles such as leadership. As to housing, those in council housing and to a lesser extent those renting privately have largely been labour voters. What really stands out, however, is the extent to which Labour has never really managed cracked voters who are owner-occupiers, even at the height of Blairism and the fag end of Tory rule in the early-mid 1990s.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/poll.aspx?oItemId=93&view=wide

Isn't calling the 'left', "rabid"; discrimination?

Just wondering.

Isn't calling the 'left', "rabid"; discrimination?

Just wondering.

No point Lou, there's far too much punctuation in that sentence for a right-winger like Jeff to comprehend. Us lefties have to accommodate those of a lesser disposition.

No point Lou, there's far too much punctuation in that sentence for a right-winger like Jeff to comprehend. Us lefties have to accommodate those of a lesser disposition.

SuperMikey (very appropriate name, btw). I really struggled with punctuation choices in that sentence. Glad you felt my pain.

You mean the left are trying to out do the right with discrimination?

It's gonna be a tough mountain to climb that one!

I'm going to tell them I'm a labour voter, then they'll get a rich bloke to pay for my coffee.

Make your mind up.

It's not a joke to discriminate, which is what you are suggesting. You may find it funny to discriminate against people due to sex, race, political leaning, but then thats the kind of person you are.

I think it's a joke, but that doesn't make it right or funny.

It's not a joke to discriminate, which is what you are suggesting. You may find it funny to discriminate against people due to sex, race, political leaning, but then thats the kind of person you are.

I think it's a joke, but that doesn't make it right or funny.

So your post that "everybody thought was serious [emoji38] " was serious?

Exactly. Or a green tree or similar.

If this was a Conservative 'joke', you guys would be utterly losing your ****.

No Jeff, I'd think it was facetious and childish and move on. Just like your gravity-defying analogies.