Why are we doing so well?

Asaint4ever

i remember last season saying that Pochettino + Cortese + Lambert + Lallana + Shaw + Chambers + Boruc was holding us back. I deffo said something like that. Prob a lot of bros remember me saying so. Not a surprise to me that now we've cleared the deadwood we're turning the corner.

I also put it down to:

25% Koeman doing brilliant job

25% New signings being ace + settling fast

25% Bit lucky with fixture list

25% Bit lucky with little things in matches going our way like Swansea bro sent off

25% Seige mentality from dumb journos+talking head

25% Kingsland Roar podcast

One of the main reasons has to be the recruitment programme. We obviously didn't want to sell so many this summer, but the club have done an amazing job pulling replacements over the line. In many cases, these are like for like replacements - and in the odd case, better replacements.

I look at Liverpool (and Tottenham from last season) for an example of how not to recruit. It was slap dash, ill prepared and spare of the moment stuff. That may sound like a huge assumption, but it doesn't take a genius to look at players like Soldado, Lamella, Markovic...and think if there was a little more TLC in the recruitment process, they may have been able to get a better feel of their personality or how they'd adapt within their current group.

It sounds a bit corny, but 'The Southampton Way' is what we follow. We have attributes and personal qualities we require in any player we bring in, and that's why as well as having excellent technical players, we always seem to have down to earth decent blokes on top of that. That gives you a great opportunity to build a team, the mentality and personality of the squad is important. (There may be the odd 1 or 2 that don't quite fall in that category, but I'd say the recruitment guys have done a damn fine job on the whole - and you'll get more success stories than duds by following our method)

But all of that needs a manager in place to glue it together. What strikes me is that there is a clear idea, a clear plan on how we play and how we set up, and he was provided with a blank canvas to work with - the players have taken to it superbly and Koeman has put his idea's across better than any of us could have imagined. I think his support staff are also very, very strong and offer all sorts of qualities that we may not have had before. Sammy Lee seems like a happy guy, probably a little out of his depth as a manager, but I think he's a damn fine coach.

At the end of the day, if you combine a well thought out and well researched recruitment policy with a grounded and talented coaching staff - then you've always got a chance. We may slip and slide at some points of the season, but the ground work has been done and IF (if being the key word here) we can keep this lot together and BUILD on it, then we may be on the cusp of something a bit special. But whatever happens in the future, I feel we're in pretty safe hands with the likes of Les and Paul Mitchell in the background.

i remember last season saying that Pochettino + Cortese + Lambert + Lallana + Shaw + Chambers + Boruc was holding us back. I deffo said something like that. Prob a lot of bros remember me saying so. Not a surprise to me that now we've cleared the deadwood we're turning the corner.

I seem to recall you mentioning the Lavern bro as well.

Its probably worth taking a look back through your old posts to see if the specific one can be found.

Because we've had a big change in the team I think we are benefiting from the "unknown" element. You can't look at the videos from last season and look for weaknesses and so on, as we are dramatically different.

As the season moves on people will work out how to beat us. That will be the real test of manager and players.

We don't over-elaborate in the attacking third as much as we tended to do under Pochettino, and we're much keener to take a crack on goal. Tadic is more focused on creating something than Lallana, who could be a little too self-indulgent at times. With Rickie becoming more a part of the build-up than a striker, we lacked a natural finisher up-front and became more build-up focused than finish-focused. Koeman has the advance midfielders pushing on 10-20 yards farther when we attack, either together or alternating, and they're encouraged to strike when the opportunity presents itself. Under Koeman it's less about the "press" and more about the "strike", and that has made all of our midfielders look even better.

On top of that, I thought there was a powerful "togetherness" about our squad last year but for me it has moved up a few notches this year - and it's not as focused around two or three individuals. This week's stay at St George's Park was a great idea and it can only enhance that togetherness.

All of the teams we have beaten just had an off day when we played them. We might see the same sort of thing over the next couple of games but all will return to normal when we play the big boys.

That's such a generic thing to say really. Why is it always the opposing team have to have an off day for us to win? Could it just be that, maybe....just maybe, we make it very hard for them to get anything? and our excellent play and football gets us the results?

The Bear must have had his snout in a good quality Honey Pot this afternoon, the boy is on fire I can clearly remember him posting this word for word.

................ a few thought he was on another planet at the time: fools.

I also put it down to:

25% Bit lucky with little things in matches going our way like Swansea bro sent off

You just cant argue with facts like that............... That Honey he found must be fermenting to Mead to provide such clarity of thought.

That's such a generic thing to say really. Why is it always the opposing team have to have an off day for us to win? Could it just be that, maybe....just maybe, we make it very hard for them to get anything? and our excellent play and football gets us the results?

Have you considered the possibility of irony in the post you replied to? Just wondering.

Something I've been thinking for a bit is how much we've benefited from having three exceptional managers in a row (with largely the same group of players). This is very crude, but for all Adkins' faults he did an amazing job of changing the mentality of the club - from losers to winners, and from negativity to positivity, and all this growth mindset stuff. Then Pochettino (for all his faults too) instilled a lot more grit in the team (i've never see us so hard to beat in all my years), as well as bringing on the pressing and positional game that made us a nightmare to play against. Now we've got Koeman who's probably freed us up a bit from the Pochettino style - and taken us another level confidence and squad wise.

There really aren't many teams who've had this period of stability and growth that we've had (even with Cortese/MoPo leaving the wider strategy of the club stayed the same) so I think a lot of what we're seeing today is a product of the last 5 or 6 years, rather than the summer. The mental strength the squad has developed is unbelievable - the way we turned the screw against Sunderland was a good example - the Saints I grew up watching would either have a) Been Sunderland and fallen to pieces, or b) Taken our foot off the gas at 3 or 4-0. But the way we went for the kill shows the mentality we've got at the moment. It's no coincidence that for about 3 seasons almost everyone we've played has been having an 'off-day' according to their fans. The squad we have at the moment is exceptional, but we've been mentally out-competing most teams for a few years now and that's the difference for me.

We won't finish second obviously - but with the coaching, the squad and the playing style we've got I honestly think we can break into the top 6 if injuries go our way. Then you add in the academy and the long-term financial commitment and I don't think there's many clubs that look as healthy in the long term either.

Have you considered the possibility of irony in the post you replied to? Just wondering.

Yeah, I was pretty much angling my reply towards the attitude of opposition fans and the media after their teams get stuffed by 'little old Southampton'.

I am convinced it is all to do with the Ground up philosophy outlined by Les Reed in that video somewhere that someone posted. The manager and other staff are just employees in a "ground up" structure that cannot be overturned by one personality (Except Kat, of course) If allowed to continue, this set up will also withstand future upheavals much better than the traditional system where the new manager comes in and bends everything to his own strategy.

One of the main reasons has to be the recruitment programme. We obviously didn't want to sell so many this summer, but the club have done an amazing job pulling replacements over the line. In many cases, these are like for like replacements - and in the odd case, better replacements.

I look at Liverpool (and Tottenham from last season) for an example of how not to recruit. It was slap dash, ill prepared and spare of the moment stuff. That may sound like a huge assumption, but it doesn't take a genius to look at players like Soldado, Lamella, Markovic...and think if there was a little more TLC in the recruitment process, they may have been able to get a better feel of their personality or how they'd adapt within their current group.

It sounds a bit corny, but 'The Southampton Way' is what we follow. We have attributes and personal qualities we require in any player we bring in, and that's why as well as having excellent technical players, we always seem to have down to earth decent blokes on top of that. That gives you a great opportunity to build a team, the mentality and personality of the squad is important. (There may be the odd 1 or 2 that don't quite fall in that category, but I'd say the recruitment guys have done a damn fine job on the whole - and you'll get more success stories than duds by following our method)

But all of that needs a manager in place to glue it together. What strikes me is that there is a clear idea, a clear plan on how we play and how we set up, and he was provided with a blank canvas to work with - the players have taken to it superbly and Koeman has put his idea's across better than any of us could have imagined. I think his support staff are also very, very strong and offer all sorts of qualities that we may not have had before. Sammy Lee seems like a happy guy, probably a little out of his depth as a manager, but I think he's a damn fine coach.

At the end of the day, if you combine a well thought out and well researched recruitment policy with a grounded and talented coaching staff - then you've always got a chance. We may slip and slide at some points of the season, but the ground work has been done and IF (if being the key word here) we can keep this lot together and BUILD on it, then we may be on the cusp of something a bit special. But whatever happens in the future, I feel we're in pretty safe hands with the likes of Les and Paul Mitchell in the background.

Great post

I also put it down to:

Bit low on RoKo. I'd have him at 50% at least.

I also put it down to:

Amazing 150%!!...Is that you Nigel?

It's not just how well we're doing, it's how much worse everybody who left is doing. Add to that that suddenly Cork can score goals and you have to assume that somebody somewhere in Southampton has a lamp and very few wishes left.

And big Vic!

I also put it down to:

so, basically, we are doing so well because we give 150%?

Ok may sound a stupid question but id like peoples thoughts on why we are doing so well?

it's surely a product of a number of different issues that have all (finally) come together...

....after the bankruptcy (and Liebherr buy-out) ..Nicola Cortese (to his great credit) dragged the club, shouting and screaming into the 21st century. Re-organisations, re-structuring, tighter financial control and a few sackings thrown in made him the man you loved (or) hated.

Managers (who DAJFU at different times). Credit must go to Alan Pardew in the beginning, (although there is no clear picture of why he was sacked). Nigel Adkins (who must have surprised himself) but was not quite upto the Prem.quality required in the first season....and Pochettino (who achievements have been well-documented (ad nauseum) on here for the last 6 months.

The Academy which gave 16 year-olds a chance to train alongside first team players..(instead of only cleaning their boots) and an atmosphere of firm friendliness and good interaction between everyone in the club.

Ronald Koeman echoed my thoughts (in interview today) that the summer "desertion " by some famous names, has given him the opportunity to build his own squad - instead of inheriting the previous fellow's.

His appointment, and the current run of good games is proof of something " a bit special at SMS," but as I was once told ...many years ago ..." don't try and analyse your success.... just enjoy it "

Edited by david in sweden

All of the teams we have beaten just had an off day when we played them. We might see the same sort of thing over the next couple of games but all will return to normal when we play the big boys.

You've had a bad day

You've had a bad dayyyy

We are Southampton

You've had a bad day

Retaining the core of the midfield and finding a clinical striker - the rest falls or follows from this.

This. The press and many others fall into the trap that we lost the core of our team. But this is patently not the case. SRL is the only one who left initially that would really be considered "core", and to be fair he was probably near the end of his career anyway, as Liverhampton now know. We did well to find a great replacement (Pelle). The fact is that we retained the core/the spine of the team, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Cork, Davis and critically Fonte. I would have included Boruc, but most hacks seem to not have cottoned on that he is no longer playing for us (and probably never will again). Keeping the core was crucial (throw in Clyne as well but I don't consider FBs as core/spine) and we are really only evolving from last season. RK has moved on from Poch's style and made us more of an attacking side while maintaining/improving the great defensive qualities. Steve Davis has been transformed by Ron's style and is now crucial to our attacking style, he has also enabled Schneiderlin or Wanyama or Cork (depending who is playing) to have more freedom to get forward and as a result has added to our goal threat from players who previously were not goal threats at all. Bring in Tadic for Lallana and to be honest the former is more creative than our erstwhile skipper, a very good find by Ron. We were almost equally successful last season with Poch until the injury/suspension crisis hit in November last season, whether we will turn out to be better this season depends to some extent on whether we get a similar crisis again this season. If we can avoid then we can prove to be quite a lot better than last term. But our achilles heal will continue to be our small squad. Interesting that many people are still praising the academy (rightly) but don't seem to have noticed that we don't have any academy players playing any more (OK, JWP is injured), and no-one 21 or younger!! Reed and Targett are obviously on the fringes, but currently that is the extent of the academy input.

Few points that I think contributed..

All the behind the scenes staff are incredible. What Cortese put in place is undoubtedly a well-oiled machine with everyone having a role and doing it well. Anyone that wasn't doing their job well was probably cut.

We have an more experienced side this season. Shaw replaced with Bertrand a Champions League winner. Lovren replaced with Alderweireld a La Liga & Eredivisie winner & CL runner up. Lallana/Lambert replaced with a prolific playmaker and prolific striker. Pochettino replaced with Koeman who's won a lot of honours both as a player and manager. JayRod covered by Mane who won the Austrian Bundesliga last season. All these signings have tasted success in some form and seem to have a great hunger to continue their success. A real winning mentality in a squad of consummate professionals.

Koeman had a brilliant foundation and the $$ to build a team how he wanted. Fonte a solid CB. Clyne an attacking FB. All our CM's have the skills to play both ways. He wanted a strong striker; Pelle. He wanted a creative playmaker; Tadic. He wanted a pacy winger to get in behind; Long Mane (different horses for different courses ;) ok ok i'll stop horsing around). He wanted another attacking FB; Bertrand. etc. etc. What we have now is a team with fantastic balance, fluid movement, players that can defend well and quickly counterattack forward with seamless transition.