Koeman taking a dig at MoPo?

Singapore Saint

Koeman cried when he saw Saints' high pressing and exhausting game under MoPo. See below.

The Dutchman told NIS: "We're playing football differently to what they were used to. It's more Dutch school. When I compare it to how we started playing, I was in tears! "Now it's different. A world of difference."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/southampton/koeman---saints-style-now-dutch-school-1745704.html?

Cue everyone now saying how Koeman is the best thing since sliced bread, much better than MoPo. Just like when MoPo took over and just what it will be like when Koeman leaves and we get another manager

For now, he is. Just like Mopo was after Adkins.

there's no doubt that Pochettino's training methodology considerably increased the players work-rate, over that which Adkins had created in the lower divisions, despite the fact we were able to exploit the talents of Lambert, Lallana and Schneiderlin and the increased use of wing-backs. The pace in the Premier League was much faster than the Championship level and tbf, I don't think players or manager were quite prepared for it, and it was painfully apparant in the first half-season prior to Adkins' sacking.

Pochettino's system upped the work rate considerably, but many times we achieved a huge share % of possession - often without ever creating many goal chances. Both games v. A. Villa were prime examples.

Koeman said "his training formula" concentrated on intensive player activity for shorter periods in the game and we do seem to be able to find positions better now without everyone running around like headless chickens for 90 minutes. For all the good that Pochettino created, Koeman seems to have players relaxing a little more and has removed the need for that endless, non-creative ball-possession.

Edited by david in sweden

And Adkins was to Pardew, and (not difficult) Pardew was to Wotte.

We have had an astonishing run of good managers.

that's the truth! I wonder what the normal odds are on a club appointing the 'right' manager for their circumstances, prob less than a coin flip i would think, and we seem to have done it 4 flips in a row! Les Reed needs to get himself to vegas, clean out the roulette tables.

there's no doubt that Pochettino's training methodology considerably increased the players work-rate, over that which Adkins had created in the lower divisions, despite the fact we were able to exploit the talents of Lambert, Lallana and Schneiderlin and the increased use of wing-backs. The pace in the Premier League was much faster than the Championship level and tbf, I don't think players or manager were quite prepared for it, and it was painfully apparant in the first half-season prior to Adkins' sacking.

Pochettino's system upped the work rate considerably, but many times we achieved a huge share % of possession - often without ever creating many goal chances. Both games v. A. Villa were prime examples.

Koeman said "his training formula" concentrated on intensive player activity for shorter periods in the game and we do seem to be able to find positions better now without everyone running around like headless chickens for 90 minutes. For all the good that Pochettino created, Koeman seems to have players relaxing a little more and has removed the need for that endless, non-creative ball-possession.

Villa home game we had 25 shots to their 3 so not a good example mate.

So far, the team has done pretty much as well as last year's team had done at this point in the season. Last year, 9 games played, one defeat and 18 points. This year, 9 games, 2 defeats and 19 points. But last year we then hit a very bad patch where we only won 2 games out of the next 10. This year we have the run of hard games coming up but for most of us, the expectation is that we won't do as badly as last Nov and Dec, when we lost 5 of the 10 games. So you could argue that it's still too early to judge Koeman's team against Pochettino's on results, but that we will be able to do so over the next few weeks.

We have, of course, played Pochettino's team this year, at Tottenham, when we lost 1-0. Tottenham began by playing at 100 mph and you wondered how Saints could live with it, but they did, conceding just one goal before half time and they could easily have had an equaliser in the second half. It was a reminder that the Pochettino way is all about lots of effort with small rewards and that possession doesn't provide his teams with many goals. Koeman's comments do seem to be a bit of a dig at the Pochettino way and if we do get through these next few weeks with some decent results, he will be entitled to take the credit.

Villa home game we had 25 shots to their 3 so not a good example mate.

YES..right of course, my stats. actually showed 21-6 and very few of those were on target, nevertheless...... it was the 77% possession, I was looking at....

but the 0-0 away match was completely the opposite.....71% possession at one point in the game, but only 3 shots against their 6 ...

Of course I wasn't decrying the whole season, but we had 60%+ possession in more than half of the games but only home fixtures v. Hull, Newcastle and Norwich were standout results.

I'm sure I wasn't the only frustrated fan who saw so much possession rewarded by so few goals (in comparison to ball possession).

So far, the team has done pretty much as well as last year's team had done at this point in the season. Last year, 9 games played, one defeat and 18 points. This year, 9 games, 2 defeats and 19 points. But last year we then hit a very bad patch where we only won 2 games out of the next 10. This year we have the run of hard games coming up but for most of us, the expectation is that we won't do as badly as last Nov and Dec, when we lost 5 of the 10 games. So you could argue that it's still too early to judge Koeman's team against Pochettino's on results, but that we will be able to do so over the next few weeks.

We have, of course, played Pochettino's team this year, at Tottenham, when we lost 1-0. Tottenham began by playing at 100 mph and you wondered how Saints could live with it, but they did, conceding just one goal before half time and they could easily have had an equaliser in the second half. It was a reminder that the Pochettino way is all about lots of effort with small rewards and that possession doesn't provide his teams with many goals. Koeman's comments do seem to be a bit of a dig at the Pochettino way and if we do get through these next few weeks with some decent results, he will be entitled to take the credit.

Call me old fashioned but rather than slaving over these hot sexy statistics, I tend to judge the team by watching them play. This year we look much more of a threat in the final 3rd with much more pace. We still have an excellent defence (including the keeper upgrade) and one of the best midfields in the country.

Koeman appears to be more flexible in his tactical approach and I don't need a spare part to interpret what he says.

Overall, imho, we are better off than last year.

I am therefore happier.

Cue everyone now saying how Koeman is the best thing since sliced bread, much better than MoPo. Just like when MoPo took over and just what it will be like when Koeman leaves and we get another manager

So you are worried that when Koeman leaves we will replace him with someone better? Oh, the horrors.

that's the truth! I wonder what the normal odds are on a club appointing the 'right' manager for their circumstances, prob less than a coin flip i would think, and we seem to have done it 4 flips in a row! Les Reed needs to get himself to vegas, clean out the roulette tables.

I think the difference is that if you were to ask the owners or chairmen of each BPL team who they would hire if their manager dropped dead tomorrow most of them would not know. I believe that, right now, Les Reed could answer that question--although he won't do so publically, of course.

Call me old fashioned but rather than slaving over these hot sexy statistics, I tend to judge the team by watching them play.

That is pretty old fashion. I judge the team by what percentage of people who judge the team by watching them think they are doing well. That is a good modern type of statistic.

YES..right of course, my stats. actually showed 21-6 and very few of those were on target, nevertheless...... it was the 77% possession, I was looking at....

but the 0-0 away match was completely the opposite.....71% possession at one point in the game, but only 3 shots against their 6 ...

Of course I wasn't decrying the whole season, but we had 60%+ possession in more than half of the games but only home fixtures v. Hull, Newcastle and Norwich were standout results.

I'm sure I wasn't the only frustrated fan who saw so much possession rewarded by so few goals (in comparison to ball possession).

No, you definitely weren't. When I moaned about it on here whilst Poch was in charge though, I was told I didn't understand football and it was assumed I expected us to hoof the ball forward at every opportunity.

It seems some people don't understand a subtle argument.

No, you definitely weren't. When I moaned about it on here whilst Poch was in charge though, I was told I didn't understand football and it was assumed I expected us to hoof the ball forward at every opportunity.

It seems some people don't understand a subtle argument.

Bit of a misunderstanding there....soton joe...I was actualy agreeing with you ..it wasn't a good example for me to quote Villa;

I was more upset (at the time) because we had so much possession in that game - yet failed to do enough to win.

However, I think that most of us would agree that when we consider the volume of ball-possession we had (overall) during the season, we ought to have created more chances and scored more goals.

Although the current stats. are somewhat lower% this season, we are far more creative and win more second balls than we seemed to under MP.

Call me old fashioned but rather than slaving over these hot sexy statistics, I tend to judge the team by watching them play. This year we look much more of a threat in the final 3rd with much more pace. We still have an excellent defence (including the keeper upgrade) and one of the best midfields in the country.

Koeman appears to be more flexible in his tactical approach and I don't need a spare part to interpret what he says.

Overall, imho, we are better off than last year.

I am therefore happier.

I agree with you. I am also very much looking forward to the next couple of months and seeing how our defence and midfield compares to last years when under stress. Last year we lost Boruc which was very difficult, but this year we seem to have a tougher run against ManC, Arsenal, Manure and Chelski. If we come through this in a higher position in January than we were at the same time last year then even the media will have to admit we really have a top team.