Streaming SportsNationHD on LG Smart TV

Mr Dad

Hi,

I hope someone might know the answer to this....

Before I start, let me say that I attend all home games and a few aways. I can't afford to take my 2 boys to ALL away games so we watch some on streams on PC. I was recommended to SportsNationHD on the main forum and its proved to be reliable and reasonable quality.

I can watch the stream on our home PC no problem.

I'm looking for a way to watch it on our Smart TV, an LG 60LA740V.

Logging on to SportsNationHD on the TV web browser doesn't work. I can sign in and see the main web page but when I click on the links for streams, the video doesn't play. Maybe the TV browser is too primative and doesn't have the right codecs?

I've done a lot of searching on google but can't seem to find what I need to know. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms?

I'm hoping someone here will know as it seems to me to be something people on here would have tried.

I've got serviio installed on PC and on the TV, I can use LG Smart Share to view videos etc already stored on the PC. What I am looking for is a way to transfer the live streams I am watching on our PC to the LG TV.

Searches on google have been frustrating. I know I could connect a DVI/HDMI cable from PC to TV but its quite a distance and wife doesn't like cables. It would be a 10m cable approx from PC to TV. I have had plenty of hits on how to show PC stored photos/movies etc but that isn't what I want to do.

So, I'm watching sportsnationhd on PC. How do I get the live stream to be displayed on the TV.

TV - LG 60LA740V

PC - Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel i5 2.5GHz processor, 8GB RAM

Cheers

Since they don't show Southampton on tv, other than games against Liverpool, Man U, etc, I watch all Southampton games via my PC. I run an HDMI cable from the PC to a Samsung TV. I know you don't want to do this but I recommend this method. You can buy a 3m (or less) HDMI cable for cheap (www.monoprice.com, not sure if shipping to the UK would still make it cheap) and you can put the PC next to your TV. My TV is actually my monitor but if Mrs. Mr. Dad doesn't want cables then you can just move it back after the match.

I use Google Chromecast to transfer from my Sportsnation from my laptop to non smart TV. Just need to power it from usb on back of tele or mains and plug into spare HDMI port. Add a free extension to your chrome browser and watch whatever is in that tab on your big screen.

Quality better the closer the TV to the hub/router as relies on signal strength but works fine for me with hub a couple of rooms away.

About £30 from Argos/Amazon and probably a million other places...

I know it's not the direct answer you want, but I stream using a Raspberry Pi (£35 from Maplins) rather than a PC or laptop. The Pi is connected to the WiFi network with a USB dongle and output audio/video to the TV via short HDMI cable. I use Offside Streams (£10 a month) for all the live sport and lots of other channels. I use my phone as a remote for the Pi TV.

3 good options there -thanks!

I also have a laptop so I could get a display port to HDMI adapter and use SA's suggestion.

Google Chromecast - I wasn't aware of that device but it looks interesting CS. Seems straightforward.

A Raspberry Pi! You know I have always fancied one of those but I know Mrs D would exercise the matrimonial veto. However, should one of my sons request one for 'educational purposes', I think he'll encounter very little resistance from me. No prizes for guessing what his first project would be. Cheers Hutch, what a good idea.

I'd still be interested in solutions which don't involve additional hardware if anyone happens to read this but thanks for the suggestions so far.

An update...

I tried laptop with Display Port to HDMI adapter then HDMI cable from adapter to spare HDMI input on TV. Laptop was wireless connected to router.

It worked fine. A little more jittery than the main PC but maybe that's the wireless connection.

I'm going to try a long ethernet cable from laptop to router to eliminate wireless interference and speed problems but even without, the stream is watchable on TV.

The good thing is that its all easily cleared up after the match so extra cables are only temporary.

Thanks for suggestions!

I think I might still try Hutch's Raspberry Pi as a backup though as that sounds a fun project for me to get involved with my sons.

An update...

I tried laptop with Display Port to HDMI adapter then HDMI cable from adapter to spare HDMI input on TV. Laptop was wireless connected to router.

It worked fine. A little more jittery than the main PC but maybe that's the wireless connection.

I'm going to try a long ethernet cable from laptop to router to eliminate wireless interference and speed problems but even without, the stream is watchable on TV.

The good thing is that its all easily cleared up after the match so extra cables are only temporary.

Thanks for suggestions!

I think I might still try Hutch's Raspberry Pi as a backup though as that sounds a fun project for me to get involved with my sons.

Someone more technically inclined can weigh in but when I've streamed (via HDMI cable) from laptops to TVs they've always been jittery. Not sure if this is a result of the limited processor trying to create an image for a 55 inch tv or something else but I've never had the problem with a PC. This occurred while watching Premier League and MotoGP so it wasn't a site issue.

The laptop is quite a good one

Lenovo T440

Windows 7 64 bit

8G RAM

Intel Core i5-4300U@1.90GHz 2.5GHz

250GB solid state disk drive

According to system properties

Thats almost as good as my home desktop PC

Home PC is directly connected to router with hard wired cable

I expect the graphics card on the PC is much better than on laptop so maybe thats explains the better quality video on PC?

Maybe the jitter looks worse because its on 60" TV?

I've got a 10m ethernet cable now so I'll try a direct connection to home router in the next couple of days and compare with wireless

Thanks for your continuing interest SA!

I know it's not the direct answer you want, but I stream using a Raspberry Pi (£35 from Maplins) rather than a PC or laptop. The Pi is connected to the WiFi network with a USB dongle and output audio/video to the TV via short HDMI cable. I use Offside Streams (£10 a month) for all the live sport and lots of other channels. I use my phone as a remote for the Pi TV.

Hutch for the technothickies with the pi from maplins can you bring up and play the sportsnationhd.tv website as I am sure they play XBMC on there so would like to know what you had to do to get it working as the video card in our laptop is ancient and is totally jittery, thought this may be a cheap alternative.

I'm running XBMC on the Pi. I don't use Sportsnationhd so I can't speak first hand. But if you can integrate sportsnationhd into XBMC then it should be fine. I'm not sure about bringing up the website, The PI isn't really a device for web browsing. But if sportsnationhd have built a XBMC repository then you just point the Pi towards it and it will do the job.

There are other paid-for streaming sites that do have XBMC repositories for streaming live games if sportsnationhd don't have one.

If you need to get geeky, the Pi is running Gotham 13.2 version of XBMC, and it helps the be a little bit savvy with SSH/telnet. I access the Pi for file management and backup, etc using PuTTY and PSCP from my laptop. You can call up a command line interface directly on the Pi using USB keyboard and mouse, but I find using SSH across the LAN is more convenient.

It might sound daunting, but it is pretty straightforward. There are plenty of step by step guides out there for opensource and Linux, and as long as you can follow instructions you'll be fine.

Personally I was flabbergasted at just how good the Pi is.

RaspBMC. Install it onto a 32GB SDHC card (class10) in a PC/laptop. You can have other OS's on other SD cards and just swap them when you want to. hutch jr. has one with RaspBMC and another one for RetroPie gaming.

Run it connected with Ethernet cable first time.

Then shut down, pull out the cable and plug in the WiFi dongle and boot it up again.

I'm running XBMC on the Pi. I don't use Sportsnationhd so I can't speak first hand. But if you can integrate sportsnationhd into XBMC then it should be fine. I'm not sure about bringing up the website, The PI isn't really a device for web browsing. But if sportsnationhd have built a XBMC repository then you just point the Pi towards it and it will do the job.

There are other paid-for streaming sites that do have XBMC repositories for streaming live games if sportsnationhd don't have one.

If you need to get geeky, the Pi is running Gotham 13.2 version of XBMC, and it helps the be a little bit savvy with SSH/telnet. I access the Pi for file management and backup, etc using PuTTY and PSCP from my laptop. You can call up a command line interface directly on the Pi using USB keyboard and mouse, but I find using SSH across the LAN is more convenient.

It might sound daunting, but it is pretty straightforward. There are plenty of step by step guides out there for opensource and Linux, and as long as you can follow instructions you'll be fine.

Hutch been suggested downloading sportsnationhd.tv XBMC files to a stick and plugging it into one of the usb ports and point the pi at it.

Hutch been suggested downloading sportsnationhd.tv XBMC files to a stick and plugging it into one of the usb ports and point the pi at it.

OK but that's not how I use mine, so I can't really give you an opinion. I get my live football streams from Offside Streams.

RaspBMC. Install it onto a 32GB SDHC card (class10) in a PC/laptop. You can have other OS's on other SD cards and just swap them when you want to. hutch jr. has one with RaspBMC and another one for RetroPie gaming.

Run it connected with Ethernet cable first time.

Then shut down, pull out the cable and plug in the WiFi dongle and boot it up again.

Retro gaming!!! - Now you have got me interested Hutch!

I think a Raspberry Pi is essential for my children's education so I'll get one.

There's an XBMC add-on downloadable from sportsnationHD site. I suspect that you place it in the correct place in the directory structure and maybe modify a config file but I don't know until I try. The download consists of jpg and xml files etc

I'll keep a record of exactly what I did to get everything up and running as it might be useful for others on here.

There are good tutorials if you use google on how to set up a RP eg

http://mymediaexperience.com/raspberry-pi-xbmc-with-raspbmc/

I tried my laptop directly wired to router and it wasn't any better than wirelessly connected. Also, jitter on TV screen is exactly the same as the litter on the laptop screen so I guess that means its the laptop video card that's responsible for the jitter. Jitter isn't nearly so bad on my Desktop PC which does have a good graphics card.

I'll be amazed if the Raspberry is any better but its a fun project so I'm not too worried.

Sports Nation have released a XBMC addon as well ive only used it once and it was really good with awesome quality that pi thing ur talking about i looked on maplin website but cant seem to find it do u have a link?

With a pi you need to download the zip file for the sportsnation repository and then within xbmc you install from zip file. It's really is very simple. Join the xunity forum also the tvaddons forum (kodi) and there are guides on there as well as on YouTube.

Sports Nation have released a XBMC addon as well ive only used it once and it was really good with awesome quality that pi thing ur talking about i looked on maplin website but cant seem to find it do u have a link?

I can't post a link from here, but try product code N52DV

You'll probably want more bits and pieces to go with it.

A case - make sure it's a B+ the case for the model B won't fit

A power supply (you can use a phone charger)

A dongle if you want WiFi

A micro SD card

A HDMI cable

Here's the link

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/raspberry-pi-model-b-512-mb-mainboard-n52dv

I'm going to try one of these as its a kit with everything in for a good price..

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=SC13488

plus a wifi dongle as its inconvenient to trail a network cable across to the TV. Hutch says that once the wifi device is registered, you can control the device remotely with SSH/telnet etc.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=SC12761

I would suggest using a usb 3.0 dongle for storage and just use the sd card to boot as it runs alot quicker by doing this

That's my next project. At the moment I don't store anything. Just stream.

Today I bought an external USB HDD so my task for tomorrow will be to hook that up and start downloading and storing locally. The first step will be to format the drive in Linux ext4. That'll take a while it's 2TB.

I downloaded and installed that Sportsnation zip earlier. It does appear to work fine but without a premium subscription I can only receive 1 channel and there was nothing on at the time!

Edited by hutch

Actually managed to work out how to download XBMC version 13.x to my android tablet. Put the sportsnationhd.tv zip file on worked out how to open the zip file. Looked for a bit on how to find sportsnationhd.tv. logged in with name and password. Started up and had Everton game running last night with no lagging. So indications are excellent for Raspberry Pi ☺

Can vouch for the above. Bought a Raspberry Pi full kit from eBay, £51 included all software, cables, wifi dongle, case, etc. may be able to do it cheaper as now know what I'm doing but guaranteed all new leads etc in the hope any problems with then be operator error.

Got it up and working in no time and imported Sportsnation zip. Test drove on the Everton game last night and very very impressed. Can't wait for Saturday now to try it with the Saints.

Also for those talking storage, I've got a 2Tb WD My Book connected to my network also, managed to connect the PI to that and also running my film/TV/sports/music library no problems.

Very impressed so far, thanks for the tip, now to see what else it can do :)

...and backup.

Mine just went belly-up. I'm sure it was my own fault, fiddling about with the external drive while it was still formatted in NTFS. I could see it wasn't happy with the file structure.

Luckily I backed it up this morning before I started, so a quick reformat of the SD card then restore the backup and I'll be up and running again in half an hour.

...and backup.

Mine just went belly-up. I'm sure it was my own fault, fiddling about with the external drive while it was still formatted in NTFS. I could see it wasn't happy with the file structure.

Luckily I backed it up this morning before I started, so a quick reformat of the SD card then restore the backup and I'll be up and running again in half an hour.

Do I just take a copy of the SD card to backup? Simple enough but makes sense..

Thanks in advance, 3rd post today so unable to reply until tomorrow..

No it's a bit more complicated. I do it by SSH from my laptop using PuTTY. You can get the instructions online, but basically you create a tar backup of the /home/pi/.xbmc file, then copy it from the pi to the laptop for safekeeping.

Then if you need it you copy the file back to the pi and restore the .xbmc file. Most of the instructions are specific to your particular file/folder/network structure but once you work it out it's quite straightforward.

I used this link for guidance.

I've got my RP ordered. I'm looking forward to trying all the things hutch and others have suggested. I'm an embedded linux software programmer by profession so it should be straightforward for me.

I'm also looking forward to introducing my sons to the RP as it will expose them to real computing where you have to do stuff yourself rather than just looking stuff up on google and coresponding with friends vi facebook etc.

I think there is an easier way to backup the RP SDHC card. Yes, I will probably do the same as hutch but that might not suit everybody. If you remove the card from the PR, you can back it up to a file on your windows PC eg using tools such as win32disk imager.

You have to shut down the RP, remove the card, plug the card into your windows PC and back it up there. Then if everything goes belly up on on the PR, you can restore the card from your PC. You must remember to take regular backups then you can restore the card to an image when it was last working.

See the following link for example...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=239331

The only downside is that you have to shut down the RP and swap the card back and forth between the RP/PC but that might not be a problem for most people who will probably switch off the RPi when they are not using it anyway.

Thanks to hutch for getting involved in this thread as he has given people (including me) a few ideas they might not have thought of.

The thread has diverted a little from my original intention but thats turned out to be a good thing.

It turns out that the easiest way for me to show streamed sports on my TV would have been to buy a 10 meter HDMI cable as I have since discovered that my PC has an HDMI out port! I could connect the non-jittering video from my PC directly to the TV.

However, hutch's idea is a lot more intersting AND my sons will learn alot from the project.

So, Leicester tomorrow at home which we will see at St Mary's then a break for 2 weeks :(

That'll give me plenty of time to get things sorted for the Aston Villa away game.

I'm going to wrie everthing I do in a document in case its useful for others on this board but I can't see a way of posting documents on here.

Best regardsto all!

I've got my RP ordered. I'm looking forward to trying all the things hutch and others have suggested. I'm an embedded linux software programmer by profession so it should be straightforward for me.

I'm also looking forward to introducing my sons to the RP as it will expose them to real computing where you have to do stuff yourself rather than just looking stuff up on google and coresponding with friends vi facebook etc.

I think there is an easier way to backup the RP SDHC card. Yes, I will probably do the same as hutch but that might not suit everybody. If you remove the card from the PR, you can back it up to a file on your windows PC eg using tools such as win32disk imager.

You have to shut down the RP, remove the card, plug the card into your windows PC and back it up there. Then if everything goes belly up on on the PR, you can restore the card from your PC. You must remember to take regular backups then you can restore the card to an image when it was last working.

The only downside is that you have to shut down the RP and swap the card back and forth between the RP/PC but that might not be a problem for most people who will probably switch off the RPi when they are not using it anyway.

Thanks to hutch for getting involved in this thread as he has given people (including me) a few ideas they might not have thought of.

The thread has diverted a little from my original intention but thats turned out to be a good thing.

It turns out that the easiest way for me to show streamed sports on my TV would have been to buy a 10 meter HDMI cable as I have since discovered that my PC has an HDMI out port! I could connect the non-jittering video from my PC directly to the TV.

However, hutch's idea is a lot more intersting AND my sons will learn alot from the project.

So, Leicester tomorrow at home which we will see at St Mary's then a break for 2 weeks :(

That'll give me plenty of time to get things sorted for the Aston Villa away game.

I'm going to wrie everthing I do in a document in case its useful for others on this board but I can't see a way of posting documents on here.

Best regardsto all!

If you use http://xfinity.xunitytalk.com as a source there is a tool on there to backup to either a place on your network or a usb dongle. This is mainly used by box resellers to have a standard setup the link is here http://xunitytalk.com/showthread.php?t=5578. Also as just running the pi of the an sd card makes it alot slower as it uses alot of memory. I am running openelec with turbo overclock and using a usb stick as storage even though I'm just streaming you notice the difference In speed. Also with the pi if your TV has hdmi cec for example samsung it is called anynet you can use your TV remote to control the pi. Or if you want to use your phone Yatse remote is by far the best for xbmc but I think only available on android

Best regardsto all!

!

Couple of things to add (though maybe learnt through trial and error rather than technical knowledge...)

My Pi is now fixed behind the tele and i'm looking to keep disruption to a minimum so everything i can do from my laptop a bonus...

I think i've managed to make a back up remotely following the 'Hutch' method and the link he pointed me too. Little fiddly at first but once i sussed out what i was doing i managed to end up with a backup zip file on my laptop. I'll cross the bridge of what i need to do with it when it is required, hopefully no rush for that.

Regarding power, i was powering off the usb jack on the tele. After years of telling the kids to switch off the tele when not watching they've finally started listening. This obviously meant the Pi was powering up and down when not being used meaning everytime i used it i was given a warning about shutting down properly before power down. Don't know how much of a problem this is likely to cause but could see little point in taking the chance. Therefore i've now moved it onto a standalone 240v power supply. This means it permanently powered now but advise from another forum somewhere suggested the heat given off from permanent power not likely to be a problem for it due to low pwer usage. took a chance and the house didn't burn down last night :)

Does your TV support DNLA? If so then check out Serviio - I run Serviio on a PC and then it streams to the TV via DNLA. I have three ways to stream depending what feed I am using. I use AceStream, Sopcast or direct desktop screen share (for flash sites). Works very very well but your PC needs to ideally be a quad core.

Happy to discuss if you need more info.

Apologies for going off course the original question, but how do people rate SportsNationHD generally? Got a subscription with OffsideStreams who at first seemed great, but recently, have been absolute sh*te.

OSS back to normal this weekend. Just watched the Liverpool Chelsea game on bein11 without a hitch.

Watching on XBMC on my android advice over wifi and Liverpool game was great quality, having looked about there are lots of streams if you download sports devil zip file. All without adverts like on the website.

Edited by mcjwills

Does your TV support DNLA? If so then check out Serviio - I run Serviio on a PC and then it streams to the TV via DNLA. I have three ways to stream depending what feed I am using. I use AceStream, Sopcast or direct desktop screen share (for flash sites). Works very very well but your PC needs to ideally be a quad core.

Happy to discuss if you need more info.

Thanks Tractor_Saint!

That was my first thought. I did have Serviio running on PC but I couldn't find anything on the LG 60LA740V wich showed any signs of showing live streams. The SmartShare app was able to 'see' my PC and display photos etc but I couldn't see any evidence of being able to connect to a web page showing live streams. The TV manual does say it supports DNLA.

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-60LA740V/technical-specifications

Cheers!

BTW. It seems off topic here but what a great win Shane Long gave us today and Victor was as solid as a rock!

Thanks Tractor_Saint!

That was my first thought. I did have Serviio running on PC but I couldn't find anything on the LG 60LA740V wich showed any signs of showing live streams. The SmartShare app was able to 'see' my PC and display photos etc but I couldn't see any evidence of being able to connect to a web page showing live streams. The TV manual does say it supports DNLA.

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-60LA740V/technical-specifications

Cheers!

BTW. It seems off topic here but what a great win Shane Long gave us today and Victor was as solid as a rock!

If you've got Serviio installed then you're nearly there, you just need to set up the 'online streams'. Check out this link:

http://forum.wiziwig.eu/threads/81442-Tutorial-How-to-pass-on-an-AceStream-stream-to-an-external-device

PM me for any help.... I was watching the QPR game this afternoon in full HD - fantastic!

Watching on XBMC on my android advice over wifi and Liverpool game was great quality, having looked about there are lots of streams if you download sports devil zip file. All without adverts like on the website.

what app have you got to use XBMC on android tab? Can see lots of remotes, but no actual app.

edit scrub that, have downloaded it. What add ons and repositories do you have installed? not sure of the best ones.

Edited by SO16_Saint

what app have you got to use XBMC on android tab? Can see lots of remotes, but no actual app.

edit scrub that, have downloaded it. What add ons and repositories do you have installed? not sure of the best ones.

Movies- mashup, icefilms, istream, cartoon hd

TV programmes - mashup, primewire (1 channel), I stream.

That is all you need tbh

That is all you need tbh

Thanks. I installed Fusion and Mashup but couldn't see any sports channels.

also none of the links worked for any of the films and crashed every time.

Think I'll try on the pc again rather than on tablet.

Depends on where you are. If you're an expat then BBC iPlayer and Film-on are worthwhile as well.

That is all you need tbh

I've downloaded 13.2 but I can't see any of these, or any sports stuff, in the lists of video or programme add ons. Am I doing something wrong?

You can use navi x for sports or sports devil on fusion buy I found that there were alot of dead links or just not very good streams so opted to pay for offside streams which is not perfect but will do for me atm.

I'm an xbmc newbie so please bear with me! These do not appear on the list of add ons in the app. How are they accessed and added?

I'm an xbmc newbie so please bear with me! These do not appear on the list of add ons in the app. How are they accessed and added?

This ia how to install fusion whuch should give you primewire and icefilms and navi x http://youtu.be/h5eIBVbWPK8

And this is how to install istream and cartoon hd

and for mashup you follow the same process but add http://unstable.mashupxbmc.com as the source. If you get stuck you can email me at radders82@hotmail.co.uk and I can go through with you as I haven't paid my fiver so this is my last post today