Toby wants to stay

FloridaMarlin

Google translate says:

"Iceland is doing well, has a stiff side's from a good organization. We will have a lot on the bin to keep the win at home." So Red Devil Toby Alderweireld today Neerpede looked forward to the opponent of the Belgians in the friendly match on Wednesday at the King Baudouin Stadium (20h45).

The opportunity is not impossible that the defender of Southampton Wednesday starting center back, captain Vincent Kompany is after the sucker with a slight calf injury and coach Marc Wilmots cried with Thomas Meunier an extra right back on. "Central back is my favorite position and I also play at Southampton. It is also good at right back, with the national team but I play where the coach needs me," the 25-year-old Antwerp.

second

It is currently outstanding with the defender. Last season he joined Atletico Madrid do not often play, but his loan turn to Premier League club Southampton proved a hit. The Saints do it with their second place in the magnificent position in England and Alderweireld plays on a cloud.

"Learned a lot in Madrid"

"It is true that I might be in one of the best periods of my life is," he said. "I also feel happy and well and have a great feeling about the Premier League. I did not play much last year I have learned a lot in Madrid, but my hunger to perform and weekly stand was just particularly great. I now wants to give a whole season everything for Southampton and then see whether the club wants to take me permanently from Atletico. "

Unlike the Bertrand loan from Chelsea I don't believe we have negotiated a fixed 'option to buy' with Atletico Madrid for Alderweireld. At least if we have then both clubs are keeping quirt about it. So the situation is uncertain and one suspects his agent may be expecting a number of serious inquires from other clubs hoping to secure his signature in the summer.

But let's hope he rejects Lovern's 'the grass is always greener' attitude and decides to stay here because surely its no coincidence that our defence has been rock solid ever since Toby arrived.

Unlike the Bertrand loan from Chelsea I don't believe we have negotiated a fixed 'option to buy' with Atletico Madrid for Alderweireld. At least if we have then both clubs are keeping quirt about it. So the situation is uncertain and one suspects his agent may be expecting a number of serious inquires from other clubs hoping to secure his signature in the summer.

But let's hope he rejects Lovern's 'the grass is always greener' attitude and decides to stay here because surely its no coincidence that our defence has been rock solid ever since Toby arrived.

It was reported that we do have a fee agreed - around £7m I think. If he wants to stay then get it sorted, I can't believe a better club wouldn't have already been in touch with his agent.

It was reported that we do have a fee agreed - around £7m I think. If he wants to stay then get it sorted' date=' I can't believe a better club wouldn't have already been in touch with his agent.[/quote']

£7m!! It's a deal, it's a steal, it's sale of the f**king century!

Simon peach reported it as a loan with a view to permanent deal.

I'd also forgotten about eh comedy nickname we came up for him. 'The jug' :lol:

I expect to see a headline praising his contribution to saints this season shortly something along the lines of

"Alderweireld is no Toby"

£6.8m deal agreed if Athletico want to sell. Absolutely ridiculous that we could get a player this good for that little.

Makes you wonder why the big clubs struggle to get a decent CB. Liverpool with Shako and Lovren @ £40m, both pretty rubbish for them. Mangala for City has been awful for £35m, Chris Smalling @ Utd for £18m

Makes you wonder why the big clubs struggle to get a decent CB. Liverpool with Shako and Lovren @ £40m, both pretty rubbish for them. Mangala for City has been awful for £35m, Chris Smalling @ Utd for £18m

Shush, don't tell everyone ;)

Agree, that is a very good price - however he wasn't playing week in week out and the "big clubs" don't want to take a gamble on those sort of players, they just want to buy them when they have proven themselves at other teams.

See Lovren as a perfect example of this.

It's not so much the player as the culture and system in which they play. Lovren look d good in our system but is all over the place in Scouseland, Toby couldn't nail down a position at Athletico and sat most of the time on the bench and do you think Jose would be first pick at OT, EtS or SB?

Be careful! These agreements are probably not water-tight in a legal sense; if Manure or Mancy comes in for him with a £20m bid do you think Athletico will care about pre-agreements? ...and as we all know, it's not always up to the player where he ends up

If City/Utd come in for him, why would he choose us?

Obviously i want him to stay, but can't see many that would choose us over them, and the extra £££ that would no doubt entail.

It was reported that we do have a fee agreed - around £7m I think. If he wants to stay then get it sorted' date=' I can't believe a better club wouldn't have already been in touch with his agent.[/quote']

I thought we had "first option" at £7m, wasn't that being reported at the time of his loan signing?

I thought we had "first option" at £7m, wasn't that being reported at the time of his loan signing?

Doesn't mean he has to sign a contract though. But he seems to be enjoying his time here so hopefully he'll stay. He's a top CB, the range of passing he has is like a central midfielder.

I really fear that one of the big clubs will try to tap him or Atletico up before we ever get around to signing him. So many are desperate for center backs and knowing their unethical tactics it's going to really be a hard one.

I really fear that one of the big clubs will try to tap him or Atletico up before we ever get around to signing him. So many are desperate for center backs and knowing their unethical tactics it's going to really be a hard one.

I wouldn't understimate the pull of playing somewhere you feel valued and enjoy your football, especially after a bad experience being a bit player.

LOL LOL LOL .... things could have been so different ...... 25 Jun ...http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/25/liverpool-open-talks-with-atletico-madrid-over-toby-alderweireld-transfer-4774890/

Liverpool are in talks with La Liga champions Atletico Madrid over a deal for their out-of-favour defender Toby Alderweireld.

Reds boss Brendan Rodgers has made strengthening his defence a key priority this summer, and Belgian hardman Alderweireld is being eyed up.

According to Sky Italy, Liverpool have approached Atletico to discuss a £7million transfer and hope to be able to do business quickly.

So, what will it be ...... 7 million for Toby or 20 million for Lovren, no brainer for the man with no brain!! ......

This is what it's like to be Rodgers, this is what it's like being a no mark ****,

You've got Lovren and we've got Toby A, Toby A, Toby A, Toby A. I know it doesn't flow, but I think it gets the point across!!

Unfortunately the Loan Deal has a nasty twist in the tail ... http://www.teamtalk.com/news/7555/9462279/Transfer-news-Toby-Alderweireld-focused-on-the-present-at-Southampton ..........

The Belgium international completed a season-long switch to St Mary’s from La Liga champions Atletico Madrid on transfer deadline day.

The deal to bring him to England includes the option for a permanent move to be made next summer, with a fee already agreed.

However, the agreement also allows Atletico to bring the 25-year-old back to Spain if they decide against trading him in.

"For me, next year the construction is complicated. I understand. We sit down together after this season with all the parties and see what is the best solution.”

The agreed Fee was quoted as 6.3 mill by various sources ..... can't really see AM letting him go for that ... wonder how much of a say Toby has in the matter.

Edited by ericofarabia

I'm sure at the time Toby signed he said the deal was complicated......that would confirm it. Still I guess that fact that Atletico Madrid have to pay us to re-arrange on the 1st to buy clause is a small (very small TBH) crumb of comfort and will still have Gardos.

comment withdrawn, having read later comments that clarify

If Athletico can change their mind and then sell him off to another club for £20M then they will do that!

However, if Toby wants to come and we want to buy, hopefully Athletico will play fair and honour the agreement we had.

Edited by the saint in winchester

If true then just offer them more FFS.

Don't think the club works that way do they? They've made an agreement. If Atletico Madrid try to change the agreement the club will probably walk away already having other good CB choices lined up. I think Saints these days don't take any sh it. This summer proved we won't budge on transfers (in or out) if we don't think we're getting a good deal (just look at the Rojo transfer).

Edited by doddisalegend

Would be a hell of a signing given the lack of decent centre backs about at the moment. Would walk into Man Utd and Arsenals team at the moment.

Toby Alderweireld has made a real difference and looks a class act to me. He is very calm and composed on the ball and I would love us to sign him up permanently.

I just fear he is now in the "Premier League" shop window, is proving himself to be an accomplished defender in this league so the really big clubs will be monitoring his progress especially during our tough run of games in November\December. My thoughts are that if we are serious about wanting to sign him up permanently then we will need to have finalised the deal this side of Christmas and be completing it in the early days of the January transfer window. The sooner we do it the better.

Christ. I thought it was £6-7m, could easily be wrong on that.

Either way, it's an absolute steal. I we can push it through, we absolutely should. There cannot be a better value for money CB out there right now.

Reports at the time on Sky said 8 mill Euro / 6.3 quiddage.

Can't see any Gentleman's agreement coming into play from A. Madrid and letting him come to us for that. Pity it wasn't nailed down, that's the problem with 11th hour deals on the last day of the window I guess.

Reports at the time on Sky said 8 mill Euro / 6.3 quiddage.

Can't see any Gentleman's agreement coming into play from A. Madrid and letting him come to us for that. Pity it wasn't nailed down, that's the problem with 11th hour deals on the last day of the window I guess.

I doubt it would have been a gentleman's agreement. Most likely contractual.

I doubt it would have been a gentleman's agreement. Most likely contractual.

If the link in #31 is correct it must be contractual? Basically we have first refusal on Toby unless Atletico Madrid change their mind, in which case, they have to pay us 1.5 million in compensation.....I doubt that would be a gentleman's agreement

Either way it's good business by Les and co. We get him for £6-7m then excellent if not then we've been paid £1.5m to have a great CB for a season with no risk of him Osvaldo-ing and being worth sod all afterwards...

Can't see anyway Madrid will let him go for the agreed price, so unless we get in a bidding war for his services, we will be 1.5 mill to the good, but back to scratch in the search for another defender, although Gardos doesn't seem too bad, but not in the same league as Toby, and we'd need the best for our Euro Campaign!!

My Gentleman's Agreement thing was alluding to Madrid giving us ist option on a higher bid, but can't see that happening .... highest bidder wins I guess.