Radio Solent memories

St Lej

Just thought i'd share some nostalgic views, the 1990 Saints History on VHS thread got me reminiscing about the old days of radio solent before live commentary was a regular feature.

Throughout my childhood memoeries of Solent, I always remember Grant Coleman's voice, the music cutting off to a crowd roaring sound to signify that a goal had been scored in one of the 3 games (Always remember games ticking into the last few minutes when Saints were hanging on to a narrow lead and praying we wouldn't hear the roar - though often we did and Saints had thrown it away again! How times change).

Also used to love the music they used to play when the final scores were filtering through - Music By John Miles (last minute or so of the track) and Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is. Great memories and a very big part of my upbringing following saints, before I was old enough to attend games on my own.

Just thought i'd share some nostalgic views, the 1990 Saints History on VHS thread got me reminiscing about the old days of radio solent before live commentary was a regular feature.

Throughout my childhood memoeries of Solent, I always remember Grant Coleman's voice, the music cutting off to a crowd roaring sound to signify that a goal had been scored in one of the 3 games (Always remember games ticking into the last few minutes when Saints were hanging on to a narrow lead and praying we wouldn't hear the roar - though often we did and Saints had thrown it away again! How times change).

Also used to love the music they used to play when the final scores were filtering through - Music By John Miles (last minute or so of the track) and Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is. Great memories and a very big part of my upbringing following saints, before I was old enough to attend games on my own.

The exact same memories. Hard to believe these days there wasn't even commentary for every match, just having to listen to Solents music choices while worrying about the goal jingle coming on.

Eventually they moved on to second half commentary but wouldn't announce what game of the three they were going to do until five past three (I can now announce...), to make sure attendance wasn't affected.

A different world. Kids these days etc etc.

Yep how you would be pacing the floor waiting for news of football in between them talking about a kitten playing with a ball of wool. I specifically recall the game when we were playing away to Notts County and if we won we would be runners up to the league title (PL now) only now and again was there a score update, also when we played in European games away

Yeah, how football coverage has changed. The goal 'roar' on Solent and the anticipation for which local match it was coming from.

The only commentaries in the 70s/80s were found on, I think, Radio 2. No 5 Live back then and they used a different commentator for the first and second halves. I don't know if my memory's playing tricks but did they only commentate on the second half before that?

I miss Sports night midweek, MOTD covering Division 2 games, we were on a quite a bit mid-70s, and the only live games being the cup final, that made it special and the World Cup when it sounded like the David Coleman was commentating down the phone. Somehow added to the magic and seemed so far from home.

Still, it don't get much better than right now as a Saints fan.

This was always a matter of debate - was the crowd noise louder depending on who had scored? I thought it was a recorded crowd and always the same but was it?

The crowd roar jingle to announce there'd been a goal

was recorded, but I think batman is referring to when they actually switched to the live reporter at the ground

(Usually John Hughes) and in those few seconds if it there was a vibrant crowd noise in the background

it usually meant we'd scored, whereas if it was pretty quiet it meant we'd conceded. You could also tell by the enthusiasm in Hughes

Voice as he said "it's southampton...." Before announcing the score.

Brilliant. We had very similar childhoods - I remember Grant Coleman losing his sh*t when we beat Utd 6-3 :)

That Solent goal update music was simultaneously thrilling & petrifying!

It goes without saying that I'd be listening to Solent whilst frantically updating the Ceefax scores for updates as well in those days.

Blimey forgot about that goal jingle until now.

I remember sitting in my Bedroom listening or straining to listen to the League Cup semi final 2nd Leg on Solent in North Hampshire where the signal faded in and out. There was no match commentary elsewhere, we had a TV without ceefax (blimey folks are spoilt these days) that Goal jingle went off at 12 minutes when Terry Curran scored (his only goal for us) then nothing as the clock ticked on the match reporter had his 2 minutes here and there, every time he would report Leeds were throwing the kitchen sink at us, as the clock ran down at least 3 times the reception dropped to white noise that sounded just like that Jingle the heart would stop then restart when I realised the tuning dial needed a tweek.................... Bloody Hell that was a damn long 78 minutes for a Saints Mad 14 year old!!

Still the best was the game v Newcastle where we were 1-0 down as the clock hit 90, 3 minutes later we had won 3-1 the Solent Tater needed hosing down to prevent him from Spontaneously combusting, the next night on South Today they overlaid the footage of the last 3 minutes from the game with the Solent commentary: fantastic.

Still the best was the game v Newcastle where we were 1-0 down as the clock hit 90, 3 minutes later we had won 3-1 the Solent Tater needed hosing down to prevent him from Spontaneously combusting, the next night on South Today they overlaid the footage of the last 3 minutes from the game with the Solent commentary: fantastic.

I was there and recall the fans flooding out of The Dell as the 90th minute approached. The general consensus of the fans around me was that it was no disgrace to lose against Newcastle considering the form that they were in at the time. But those fans who had left really must have been kicking themselves when on 86 minutes Heaney equalised, closely followed by goals from recent new signings Gordon Watson on 89 minutes and Neil Shipperley on 90 minutes.

That one sticks in my mind as well. That was a young Roger Johnson I believe who's still at the Beeb.

Some good memories there, in some ways a perfect example of less being better.

Solent was great if you were at home/work but if you were at the game it just wasn't cool to be seen clutching a transistor radio to your ear to check on other scores. (Smartphones with internet access? Not even a dot on the imagination horizon, we'd only recently got rid of B&W tv). So on the walk from the ground after the match the trick was to try and position yourself within hearing distance of one of the "uncool" with his radio tuned to Solent, as they would always be guaranteed to pass on the scores as they came in to loudly all around them (whilst strangely always seeming to be walking on their own). Failing that it was a race to get to the Radio Rentals shop, somewhere between where Cafe Parfait is now and the old Tyrell & Green, to watch the teleprinter and Final Score on the tvs in the window.

Absolutely this. I was at that game, one of my favourites, but also remember the Solent commentary being played the next night on South Today. Brilliantly passionate from Roger Johnson (now with BBC north west), expressed how all of us felt during the last few minutes of that mad, mad game!

Brilliant memories! I often fondly recall exactly the same thing, especially the adrenaline rush when the crowd roar broke into the music to signify a goal being scored! Like you say, many times you didn’t want to hear it, but when we were losing you’d be praying to hear it … and then sometimes the deflation when they’d announce that a goal had been scored at Bournemouth or that other place down the road!

Brilliant memories! I often fondly recall exactly the same thing, especially the adrenaline rush when the crowd roar broke into the music to signify a goal being scored! Like you say, many times you didn’t want to hear it, but when we were losing you’d be praying to hear it … and then sometimes the deflation when they’d announce that a goal had been scored at Bournemouth or that other place down the road!

All of this, but (during his years) how many times was it a late MLT goal away from home?! Villa away sticks in my mind, from 30 yards too...

That brought back a few memories that'd be buried deep, was a totally different era that but in some ways more exciting. Listening out for the goals on the radio for an away game was always an interesting way to finish the last hour or so at work on a saturday (could get away with having it on because it was "music").

Also remember really enjoying having to get shoes from the small shoe shop next to the east street shopping center as a kid because they'd have Solent on for the game. Or the gaggle of people outside of Rumbelows on a Saturday watch the scores come through on Teletext.

Such a different era that, and part of me thinks the lack of coverage actually made it better and more exciting, since you only got to see Saints play if you went to the Dell.

Absolutely Bruce Hornsby- The Way it Is. My god that brought so many memories. Still one of my favourite tracks and reminds me of many a holiday in Hampshire and Dorset.

Radio Solent is my one and only time of ringing up with a viewpoint. I think it was something to do with Carlton Palmer, but I froze on air, rambled on for a few seconds, and then just hung up. To this day I still hate making (and receiving) phone calls.

I was there and recall the fans flooding out of The Dell as the 90th minute approached. The general consensus of the fans around me was that it was no disgrace to lose against Newcastle considering the form that they were in at the time. But those fans who had left really must have been kicking themselves when on 86 minutes Heaney equalised, closely followed by goals from recent new signings Gordon Watson on 89 minutes and Neil Shipperley on 90 minutes.

That was the night the Archers really took off, the noise was fantastic in the final stages, if ever it was proved that fans really make a difference then that night was it. The roar drove that side forward (when you think what it's like attacking the Chapel these days!) the Geordies just fell to pieces and "Alan Ball's Red'n'White Army" rattled around the Dell.

The pre-match Solent phone-ins always had regular callers, one of the funniest must have been that skate that called in most weeks claiming to be a fan of just about every other club in the land to say the same old bullsh*te, "p*mpey's support is *insert bullsh*te here*", trouble is he changed his name but never his accent! Nothing changes.

In 1982, Saints played Swedish minnows Norrkoping in the UEFA cup. After a 2-2 Draw in the first leg at the Dell, the second leg was still 0-0 deep into the second half. I will always remember John Hughes on Solent going on and on about the game heading for extra time and what an embarrassment this was considering the players in Saints line up (Shilton/Ball/Armstrong etc). Then shortly after the final whistle someone obviously told him about the away goal rule meaning that Saints had lost the tie, leading to embarrassing back tracking and complete shock that Saints were in fact, out. I really wish I could hear that again.

Crikey, That Bruce Hornsby song! Memories of it being faded up and down in between Grand Colman giving out the local results & being stuck in traffic on Shirley high street!

"...and non-league Bashley pick up all 3 points..."........"...Benali sent off as Saints go down away at The City Ground..."...

There was a rival station that had live commentary in the mid 90's, I believe Jim Proudfoot was the commentator. Was it Power FM?

For some reason I distinctly remember him once saying "Beasant plucked that one out of the air like a tea cup from a cupboard shelf". As an aside to that he also commentated on the Arsenal vs Spurs FA Cup Semi Final in 1993 when Tony Adams scored and on the final whistle said "ee-ew ee-ew ee always does it for Arsenal".

Great memories, spent many a Saturday afternoon playing sensible soccer listening to Solent. Loved hearing the goal sound but every time it went off there was utter dread that it was against Saints.

I always remember if ever the goal was at Dean Court they would go across to the ground and it was always absolute silence.

Fond memories of Radio Solent's Saints coverage, especially in the mid 1970's.

Living nr Newbury at the time and it was just audible on a radio, upstairs bedroom, with the aerial fully extended, and often had to be positioned correctly, if nudged it would lose signal. It really was that delicate an operation.It was against this that I listened through the 1976 cup replay at Villa Park, and the away win at Bradford for example.

Yes, recall the goal jingle, second half only - occasional- commentary. At or around this time, and long before Bruce Hornsby, and a few years before John Miles, I think the music used was the old 'Freewheelers' theme tune.

I remember John Barrett was probably the main commentator, and Tony Mitchener (?) seemed to be at Dean Court, his reports/commentary seemed pretty relaxed and he'd tell you Cherries had taken the lead, then play a bit of 'commentary' as how he'd seen it, usually at talking pace, re a corner to Bournemouth...up go the heads...[ loud roar from the crowd and clapping] .. then he'd say they'd scored...

Also used to try listening to the Solent Friday Weekend Sport feature at 6pm, where you even had the luxury of interviews with Lawrie and a player.

All of which must seem in the dark ages to those growing up with the internet.

There was a rival station that had live commentary in the mid 90's, I believe Jim Proudfoot was the commentator. Was it Power FM?

For some reason I distinctly remember him once saying "Beasant plucked that one out of the air like a tea cup from a cupboard shelf". As an aside to that he also commentated on the Arsenal vs Spurs FA Cup Semi Final in 1993 when Tony Adams scored and on the final whistle said "ee-ew ee-ew ee always does it for Arsenal".

South coast radio - yes it was Jim Proudfoot

• 4 years later...

A very hold thread here (thanks to SuperSAINT for also flagging), but - as we had Grant Coleman on Total Saints Podcast this past weekend - thought I'd post the links to the Episode, in case anyone hadn't seen it and/or wanted to listen.

Grant reminisced on some of his memories working in and around Saints, and the South Coast, during the early-to-mid 90s. We also tried to clear up the "who did he really support" question..... :D

You can find the Podcast here:

SoundCloud: https://bit.ly/2VJssrY

acast: https://bit.ly/2ClySos

iTunes: https://apple.co/2OuQJys

Thanks

Ben

Edited by TotalSaintsPod

A very hold thread here (thanks to SuperSAINT for also flagging), but - as we had Grant Coleman on Total Saints Podcast this past weekend - thought I'd post the links to the Episode, in case anyone hadn't seen it and/or wanted to listen.

Grant reminisced on some of his memories working in and around Saints, and the South Coast, during the early-to-mid 90s. We also tried to clear up the "who did he really support" question..... :D

You can find the Podcast here:

SoundCloud: https://bit.ly/2VJssrY

acast: https://bit.ly/2ClySos

iTunes: https://apple.co/2OuQJys

Thanks

Ben

He was, ans still is, a big p****y supporter.

He was, ans still is, a big p****y supporter.
Interesting. Listening to the podcast that was not apparent but he wouldn't be drawn on it. He did admit to going to Pompey with his mates and so perhaps that made him more keen to support them. He did say his wife is a big saints fan and he still goes to SMS a lot