Rooney - England Great?

Batman

Quantity does not equal quality.

The most over capped waste of space in the history of the national game, a reflection of how bang average our national team is that he can be so decorated.

Exactly.

His performances time after time in major tournaments have been pitiful. Every time he fails to live up to even his own standards, never mind those of an England 'great'.

100 caps, but the ar$e-licking tabloids have forgotten the statistic bandied baout this summer, one goal in a World Cup finals series.

The debate should be about whether he should be in the side at all, not about anything more.

I was at a friends house in 2004 watching a game and we all agreed Rooney would be the all time leading scorer and highest number of caps. Still looking like that will be right but the truth is he has never done anything for England. Cant even remember a single game that he has won on his own for us. Mediocre player vastly over-hyped.

I would play Shearer and Lineker up front before Rooney in an all time great England X1. Probably Greaves too although I never saw him play for England but he was a quality finisher. Rooney has done well to get where he is but has failed to live up to his early promise at International level IMO.

I would play Shearer and Lineker up front before Rooney in an all time great England X1. Probably Greaves too although I never saw him play for England but he was a quality finisher. Rooney has done well to get where he is but has failed to live up to his early promise at International level IMO.

By your own mention you need to win a major trophy to be a great. Neither Shearer nor Lineker qualify here.