AUDIO: Toby Alderweireld talks about life at Saints so far

Saint-Armstrong

I have my doubts that he will be with us beyond this season, sounds like he wants to play for AM again, but we will see, I have no doubts that he will give his all for us while he is here, great player in my view, yet another that complements Jose and forms a partnership where the sum of the parts is greater than the individuals.

The key may be Ron who has signed a three year contract and seems far too decent a guy not to honour it. You have to ask then why excellent players with Champions League experience would give away all that to come here, so they are unlikely to be lured away that easily all the time Ron remains here. If Champions League football becomes a reality at SMS then nobody, Ron, Toby, Morgan will likely want to leave. They will have nothing to prove, they play for their respective national teams regularly as well as week-in week-out for a top PL club.

Money isn't everything and maybe isn't even the obstacle many believe it to be at Saints.

Quick about face from Toby, suspect his agent has been made aware of some interest from big teams. No grudge, he is only on loan after all and is playing well.

Not really. That last report was based on worked up from some pretty non committal actual quotes.

The key may be Ron who has signed a three year contract and seems far too decent a guy not to honour it. You have to ask then why excellent players with Champions League experience would give away all that to come here, so they are unlikely to be lured away that easily all the time Ron remains here. If Champions League football becomes a reality at SMS then nobody, Ron, Toby, Morgan will likely want to leave. They will have nothing to prove, they play for their respective national teams regularly as well as week-in week-out for a top PL club.

Money isn't everything and maybe isn't even the obstacle many believe it to be at Saints.

Because he couldn't get a game at his parent club and no one else was interested ...........would be my guess.

I get the impression we'll pull out all the stops to get him signed permanently. The £6m fee that was "agreed" would need to be increased significantly though. What came across in that interview was his desire to start and play matches. Could you say without any doubt that he would start at Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd (maybe he would now but when players return from injury), Liverpool? I don't think you could and so I think we will have a shot at signing him. Wasn't too concerned by anything he said. He was very respectful of Simeone and AM which is what you would expect because they still own him.

whether he stays - or not, clearly he has many positive things to say about the club (which he does well for a non-English speaker) but clearly he, like one or two others, wants to see where we end up in May.

A place in a Euro competition would satisfy a number of players, but those talented, and ambitious enough will want to play at the highest level they can... in order to keep their international place(s).

So far this season...we are playing football at the highest level, and the best (perhaps) we ever have, but if we are to keep, and attract this type of player, we have to be seen to be a " top four type " club.

Edited by david in sweden

This is why we must go all out for Top 4 or at least Top 5. European cup competition might just mean we keep hold of Alderwiereld, Morgan Schneebley, Clyne, Pelle, Tadic etc

While I am beginning to agree with this philosophy, we are already going all out as much as we can until January. Therefore, we (and the club) should simply wait and see what happens in the next five weeks.

This is why we must go all out for Top 4 or at least Top 5. European cup competition might just mean we keep hold of Alderwiereld, Morgan Schneebley, Clyne, Pelle, Tadic etc

We are going all out.

If you are suggesting massive overspending on a raft of new players in January, then that won't happen. Don't get your hopes up.

We'll get into the Champions League our way, or we won't get in the Champions League. We're not about to turn into Liverpool/Spurs in our spending.

We are going all out.

If you are suggesting massive overspending on a raft of new players in January, then that won't happen. Don't get your hopes up.

We'll get into the Champions League our way, or we won't get in the Champions League. We're not about to turn into Liverpool/Spurs in our spending.

Definitely not expecting that in Jan. I'm more like... COME OOON LETS GO ALL F*CKIN OUT WOOOOOOOO American cheer-leadery type stuff. Less on the serious side of things. I;m not so big on that.

But yeh we are going all out right now and it's superb!!

Maybe one or two signings in Jan though?

Edited by niceandfriendly

Definitely not expecting that in Jan. I'm more like... COME OOON LETS GO ALL F*CKIN OUT WOOOOOOOO American cheer-leadery type stuff. Less on the serious side of things. I;m not so big on that.

In that case, I'm with you. Barring an appalling injury crisis, we can do this.

Being negative but I'm not sure even European football will make players stay. What was it Morgan said in a recent interview? he still wants to play for a big club or words to those effect. We can't really change that image of us not being a big club very easily (mostly because we aren't a big club). Even if we get CL football and teams like Liverpool and Man U don't there still going to be seen as un upgrade over Saints by players I think.

I still think we need someone as a direct replacement for Pelle if he gets injured we don't really have a like for like replacement CF in the team.

If we get champs league we'd have a queue of quality players wanting to come here. I also think just about all our players would stay.

If Toby left I'm sure the club could replace him with someone as good though I'd personally love him to stay.

Top 4 is a very long way off yet though.