RK not too chipper about Xmas schedule

Batman

Says it is just plain crazy

It is all in the favour of the big clubs as they will be able to cope far better and can't understand why a premier league club will play 2 games in 3 days within an already packed schedule

Also points out that it is very new to him in dealing with such fixtures as usually goes on holiday over this time

Says it is just plain crazy

It is all in the favour of the big clubs as they will be able to cope far better and can't understand why a premier league club will play 2 games in 3 days within an already packed schedule

Also points out that it is very new to him in dealing with such fixtures as usually goes on holiday over this time

Ah the eternal beef of continental managers coming up to their first end of year PL campaign, players will get him through it OK.

I think that he is only really commenting on the size of squad and that the big boys can rotate or replace as necessary. Whose fault is it that we have a small squad? We all know about the Xmas schedule. As things stand.....

GK - no need to change

Defence - there is Gardos and Targett, as well as Yoshida who can all do a good enough job.

Midfield - I think Davis is back on games, so that will help out. Maybe Reed will need to step up to the plate to go along with Morgan, Vic, SD, Cork. Pick up any injuries/suspensions and we might be struggling.

Wing/forward - this to me is our main concern, esp with suspensions looming. We have Tadic, Pelle, Mane and Long fitting into 3 places. Backup seems to be Mayuka, given that JRod and Gallagher aren't available. And that is the real problem right there. Maybe Sinclair or Seager need to be brought in, and some others Rowe, McQueen etc.

Are any of the U21 good enough to step up to the plate?

I think that he is only really commenting on the size of squad and that the big boys can rotate or replace as necessary. Whose fault is it that we have a small squad? We all know about the Xmas schedule. As things stand.....

GK - no need to change

Defence - there is Gardos and Targett, as well as Yoshida who can all do a good enough job.

Will depend on exactly when Maya has to go to Japan for Asian Cup preparation I suppose. They start on the 12 th Jan, tournament starts on the 9th in Oz, probably 8th UK time then, if Japan want their players 2 weeks before say that's grosso modo the entire end of year programme without Maya really. The only real compensation is that all the other clubs with Australians and other Asian nationals will probably be in the same boat.

Will depend on exactly when Maya has to go to Japan for Asian Cup preparation I suppose. They start on the 12 th Jan, tournament starts on the 9th in Oz, probably 8th UK time then, if Japan want their players 2 weeks before say that's grosso modo the entire end of year programme without Maya really. The only real compensation is that all the other clubs with Australians and other Asian nationals will probably be in the same boat.

I guess the same can be applied to Mayuka and Mané, as AFCON starts on Jan 17th.

I'd get rid of any games between Boxing Day and New Years Day. Ok you're going to have some rearranged for TV but having an extra round of matches inbetween that is quite harsh.
Yeah, the fixture on the 28th is taking the p**s, ridiculous when you look at it squeezed in, with so many games around it. I'd personally take out the Boxing Day fixture as well, although I appreciate that wouldn't be popular for some.

Yeah, the fixture on the 28th is taking the p**s, ridiculous when you look at it squeezed in, with so many games around it. I'd personally take out the Boxing Day fixture as well, although I appreciate that wouldn't be popular for some.

Boxing Day matches are so ingrained into the history of our game that despite away games being a complete ballache to get to for many people axing it would be wildly unpopular. With the lack of transport due to selfish train drivers refusing to work it does make sense.

It's an entertainment industry and Christmas is the season for entertainment and they are paid vast amounts. what's the problem?

Isn't it the season to celebrate the life of Jesus, to spend time with loved ones and pay quiet reflection to those in the world with problems?

The only entertainment should be provided by over exuberant local radio dj's and washed up Yewtree-avoiding stars trampling the boards of your local theatre in Panto.

Odd.

Koeman is quite right. Bloody Sky is far too powerful in changing the game to suit their own agenda. Matches all over the place. The thing is self-perpetuating and will only get worse. Sky pay huge sums to the top teams to televise the matches, that translates into high player wages, which in turn means that gate prices rise, therefore too many cannot afford to go to matches, therefore they watch them on the box instead. The game has sold its soul to the devil and there is probably no way that it can be reversed. But the clubs could jointly put pressure on the FA to stop this farcical logjam over the Christmas period, but as Koeman rightly says, the biggest clubs with the greatest depth of quality in their squads do have an advantage, so why would they want things to change?

Koeman is quite right. Bloody Sky is far too powerful in changing the game to suit their own agenda. Matches all over the place. The thing is self-perpetuating and will only get worse. Sky pay huge sums to the top teams to televise the matches, that translates into high player wages, which in turn means that gate prices rise, therefore too many cannot afford to go to matches, therefore they watch them on the box instead. The game has sold its soul to the devil and there is probably no way that it can be reversed. But the clubs could jointly put pressure on the FA to stop this farcical logjam over the Christmas period, but as Koeman rightly says, the biggest clubs with the greatest depth of quality in their squads do have an advantage, so why would they want things to change?

You better hope we never get into Europe if games times wind you up

Maybe we should have got ourselves knocked out of the league cup

Or, not sold 5 players in the summer and still added what we have

Or, just get on with it?

Boxing Day matches are so ingrained into the history of our game that despite away games being a complete ballache to get to for many people axing it would be wildly unpopular. With the lack of transport due to selfish train drivers refusing to work it does make sense.
As I say, can see why that wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea and its not going to change any time soon anyway. The game on the 28th is ridiculous though, surprised that is kept going.

Its not really much to do with Sky in this instance though, just a huge amount of fixtures over a relatively short period of time.

As I say, can see why that wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea and its not going to change any time soon anyway. The game on the 28th is ridiculous though, surprised that is kept going.

That's the problem with a non-moveable feast like Christmas. Make it a Sunday every year and it would make life a lot easier.

Christmas games pre-dates Sky by about 100 years.

I think there used to be games on Christmas Day with the return match on Boxing Day. The kind of thing our historians will know.

You better hope we never get into Europe if games times wind you up

Maybe we should have got ourselves knocked out of the league cup

Or, not sold 5 players in the summer and still added what we have

Or, just get on with it?

No doubt when we are in Europe we will address the situation by enlarging the squad to cope with the additional fixtures. The game times that wind me up are the weekday evenings. Do you have a problem with me not liking that? If we are in Europe, I'll accept that and attend the additional home matches. The League Cup match is not really much of a problem on 16th December, we were discussing the matches over the Christmas/New Year period, weren't we?

Fair enough. Completely disagree on all of those points. But not worth bickering over. I hope we have a Christmas schedule like this for years to come.

you completely disagree that transport links are non-existent on boxing day making games to get to either a pain in the arse or impossible for some people?

Yeah I'd be for it.

1)I can hardly move on Boxing Day.

2) TFL screw everyone over so getting anywhere is impossible (even East London to Palace would be a nightmare)

3) I'm usually still too over the limit to drive.

4) All these things make it hard for me, and I'm a selfish git so get rid.

Christmas games pre-dates Sky by about 100 years.

I think there used to be games on Christmas Day with the return match on Boxing Day. The kind of thing our historians will know.

Christmas Day 1957 – Aldershot 1-5 Southampton.

Boxing Day 1957 – Southampton 2-2 Aldershot.

December 27th 1957 – I had to get up at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours down mill – pay mill owner for permission to come to work, mind – and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

You try telling that to the young people of today – they just won't believe you. :(

you completely disagree that transport links are non-existent on boxing day making games to get to either a pain in the arse or impossible for some people?

It's been a fixture in football for decades and usually the highest gate of the season for most clubs.

So yeah, disagree that we should scrap that tradition.

Quite. And Koeman's views on the fixture on the 28th is pretty clear.

When did I say I wasn't clear about Koeman's views? I disagree, that's different.

It's been a fixture in football for decades and usually the highest gate of the season for most clubs.

So yeah, disagree that we should scrap that tradition.

When did I say I wasn't clear about Koeman's views? I disagree, that's different.

So you don't think the fixtures are a pain to get to for a lot of fans?

And you have a better understanding on the fixtures impact than Koeman?

Fair enough.

Maybe we will have a white Xmas and all the games get postponed, that would solve the problem. Then we can play twice a week in Feb/Mar to catch up, with all the new players added to our squad in January. I don't believe for one moment that RK launched a tirade or anything approaching one, but I think he probably knew about this pretty soon after he took the job, if not before. It does disadvantage all but the very big clubs due to squad size, but that is what pre-season planning is partly about, ensuring that you have a deep enough squad to cover this part of the season, and despite all the "i told you so comments" by some of our posters on here, this is a little of what some people say we have not addressed. 18 players out and 7 in during the summer and 2nd place after 11 matches does not necessarily mean everything in the garden is rosy.

It's not in favour of anyone really, just how it is and has been for years.

Christmas football is brilliant.

I think it's very much in favour of clubs who can slot in the kind of reserves who'd be starting at 90% of the other teams in the division when they need players to take a break or get injuries or suspensions.

Just playing on a Monday night as opposed to Saturday afternoon could be worth having 2 regular starters available to us today or we'd be without about half of our midfielders. Saints don't have the depth to play that many games in that time frame without something giving, whilst the european qualifiers have the squads and the experience of playing every 3-4 days and managing that process.

I think it's very much in favour of clubs who can slot in the kind of reserves who'd be starting at 90% of the other teams in the division when they need players to take a break or get injuries or suspensions.

Just playing on a Monday night as opposed to Saturday afternoon could be worth having 2 regular starters available to us today or we'd be without about half of our midfielders. Saints don't have the depth to play that many games in that time frame without something giving, whilst the european qualifiers have the squads and the experience of playing every 3-4 days and managing that process.

That's just "the bigger clubs have bigger squads". Yep, fine. True in August, true in May.

What's that got to do with the Christmas fixtures?

It's an integral part of an English football season, like the mountains stages in the Tour De France. Just part of the challenge.

Long, long may they survive. Merry Boxing Day everyone.

Better to play on Boxing Day and New Years Day and scrub the rest.

Xmas games are there for all our benefit, what better excuse do you need to avoid visiting in-laws than "sorry I'd love to go and visit your mother, but the Saints have a game on that day but I am off to/or their internet connection is too slow (delete as appropriate) to watch the game so I will not be able to go, you know Saints always comes first, (smile sweetly, thinking she does not like it but she know I'll stick to my guns).