City Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

Who is the ref? Could have a significant impact as there are some who follow the unwritten rule of favouring the big clubs with all 50/50 decisions. It's going to be high tempo and very tasty. If we get an even handed and impartial referee I think our fitness and team spirit will see us remain 2nd after the game and shut up the nay sayers for a few more days. At least a draw I reckon. A win would be epic.

That's an odd spread of teams... How did that happen!?

sounds like badger has failed in his main duty of fatherhood; brainwashing children into supporting saints. SFC should publish a pamphlet or something! Badger cubs are slipping through our fingers yo!

Forster

Clyne Toby Fonte Bertrand

Cork Wanyama Schneiderlin

Tadic Pelle Mane

Like Davis but think we need the 3 high energy tackling midfielders to get at them and not give any space. Only have a chance if Tadic has a good game and opens them up really. You'd think we can make chances. They won't get many, but obviously they'll probably take what they do get. First goal is huge. If we get it, I really don't see them coming back.

You don't think Davis fits the description "high energy tackling midfielder"?

Chatting with a group of Villa supporters on the way back to the car on Monday night, their consensus was that we played with an eye on the the City game. They were very well aware of our upcoming fixtures.

That was not how I saw it, but it is interesting to see how other supporters see things.

Certainly how i saw it. Tadic was distracted all game and Pelle scared to get stuck in in case he got a booking.

Who is the ref? Could have a significant impact as there are some who follow the unwritten rule of favouring the big clubs with all 50/50 decisions. It's going to be high tempo and very tasty. If we get an even handed and impartial referee I think our fitness and team spirit will see us remain 2nd after the game and shut up the nay sayers for a few more days. At least a draw I reckon. A win would be epic.

Mike Jones. Him that went down like a sack of sh it at Newcastle last year. The best "Bale" of the season. :lol:

Not in the same way for me. More composed, better passer most the time and I'd pick him ahead of Cork if we were playing a lesser side than Man City. Plus he's been injured, and a good option from the bench.

Davis should, and will, start if fit. Last thing to do against City is completely sit back. We need to play our normal game and go back to the system that has got us up to 2nd in the first place.

Forster

Cork Wanyama Schneiderlin

Tadic Pelle Mane

Like Davis but think we need the 3 high energy tackling midfielders to get at them and not give any space. Only have a chance if Tadic has a good game and opens them up really. You'd think we can make chances. They won't get many, but obviously they'll probably take what they do get. First goal is huge. If we get it, I really don't see them coming back.

If Davis is fit he should be one of the first on the team sheet, think that was clearly demonstrated on Monday night.

Assume what you mean from the bit in bold is that every chance they get they will score, so you are not expecting Forster to make any saves from on target chances. I'm not wholly convinced by FF yet, but I do hope that he will make some saves. His success rate is still about 75% of saves for on target chances.

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=308054&start=30

Some claiming we're declining due to performance against Villa. If they say so...

They're Man city you probably could count on one hand the number of clubs they think are better than them and we certainly won't be one of them. The general feeling from their fans that they just have to turn up to win always makes getting a result against them much more fun and if we lose..............well it's man city isn't it.

Corks premier league starts this season..... makes interesting reading

Played 4

Won 4

Goals for 14

Goals Against 0

Goals scored 2

I know some are going to say 'shows how important Cork is' and then others will reply 'but it was only against blah blah blah'. But what a great stat for Jack himself, not conceding a goal and averaging 3.5 goals per game when he's in the side. I for one will be very sad if this is Jack's final season with us, great professional.

The thing is we have four really good centre mids (plus JWP and Reed as back up) you can argue which is the best three combo but the reality is we are probably going to have to rotate them over the coming few weeks with so many games. The argument is Jack Cork is the worst of the three but really does anyone say "oh ****" when they see him name on the team sheet? Any combination of Morgan, Victor, Jack or Steven is a ****ing good midfield. Considering how much running our midfield gets through I'd have no problem with players getting a rest on the bench as long as three of those four players are on the pitch.

Corks premier league starts this season..... makes interesting reading

Played 4

Won 4

Goals for 14

Goals Against 0

Goals scored 2

Only a small sample of games, but they are ridiculous stats.

Am I wrong (quite conceivable, apologies if so) in thinking Corky started against Newcastle & Sunderland?

Likely to skew the stats a little bit.

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove
flipping autocorrect Stats not Stars

Am I wrong (quite conceivable, apologies if so) in thinking Corky started against Newcastle & Sunderland?

Likely to skew the stars a little bit.

You can only beat the teams in front of you (and a lot of teams would take our comprehensive win over Newcastle given their recent form).

I'm not sure if you quite understand what a number 10 role is in that case!

Cork did pretty well in the hole for the 20-odd minutes he played it when he came on as sub earlier in the season (and scored), not sure I'd want him and his awful shooting in there for a whole match though, but if we want a combative midfield and Davis isn't fit then him, Schneiderlin and Wanyama would be the way to go, with them pushing forward in rotation to make them difficult to pick up. None of them are exactly through ball threaders, though Schneiderlin can pick a pass.

I think we probably all agree that either Cork or Davis should come in for Mane or Long and revert to the shape that has served us so well so far. Main question is, which one comes in and which goes out.

If Davis is fit, I think it's got to be him and in this game I would start Long (offers more defensively) with Mane as an impact sub.

Forster, Clyne Fonte Alderweireld Bertrand, Wanyama Schniederlin Davis, Long Pelle Tadic

Forster

Davis Wanyama Schneiderlin

Long Pelle Tadic

I would play Davis if 100% fit, Cork if not. Long instead of Mane as in better form at present.

I also think Tadic has been less effective in recent games when played on the right to allow Mane to play on the left. So I'd have Tadic back on the left where he was so good in earlier games.

against a team like city we can afford a deeper number 10. the role demands attacking intent but also plenty of movement. I think some people misunderstand that the position does not need to be all out attack but an occupation of space. if we play are usual 3 up front this is a good option as we have seen before

I think we probably all agree that either Cork or Davis should come in for Mane or Long and revert to the shape that has served us so well so far. Main question is, which one comes in and which goes out.

If Davis is fit, I think it's got to be him and in this game I would start Long (offers more defensively) with Mane as an impact sub.

Forster, Clyne Fonte Alderweireld Bertrand, Wanyama Schniederlin Davis, Long Pelle Tadic

Agreed, that's what I'd go with for this.

Toure has been crap the last 2 seasons against Saints. I don't think he likes playing against Vic.

Victor was injured and missed the home match last season and away, he came on for the last 10 mins , just in time for their 4th goal. 2 seasons ago he was playing for Celtic.

Good theory otherwise.

Toure has been crap the last 2 seasons against Saints. I don't think he likes playing against Vic.

Stop him playing and we have a chance.

The highlight for me was when Morgan flicked the ball over his head, not once, but twice, and left him on a heap in the ground

Genius.

Interesting reading the report of last seasons home game again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25164174

For about 2 minutes Osvaldo actually looked like the signing we all thought he was going to be :lol: teams for last time out below

Southampton

25 Gazzaniga

22 Chambers

23 Shaw

16 Ward-Prowse

06 Fonte

05 Lovren

20 Lallana (Ramírez - 85' )

18 Cork

17 Osvaldo (Lambert - 77' )

08 Davis (Reed - 90' )

09 Rodriguez

Substitutes

03 Yoshida

07 Lambert

10 Ramírez

26 Hooiveld

38 Reed

40 Gallagher

41 Cropper

Manchester City

30 Pantilimon

05 Zabaleta

13 Kolarov

25 Fernandinho

04 Kompany

26 Demichelis

07 Milner (Javi García - 62' )

42 Y Touré (Dzeko - 79' )

16 Agüero Booked

09 Negredo (Jesús Navas - 62' )

08 Nasri Booked

Substitutes

01 Hart

02 Richards

06 Lescott

10 Dzeko

14 Javi García

15 Jesús Navas

22 Clichy

Interesting reading the report of last seasons home game again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25164174

For about 2 minutes Osvaldo actually looked like the signing we all thought he was going to be :lol: teams for last time out below

Southampton

25 Gazzaniga

22 Chambers

23 Shaw

16 Ward-Prowse

06 Fonte

05 Lovren

20 Lallana (Ramírez - 85' )

18 Cork

17 Osvaldo (Lambert - 77' )

08 Davis (Reed - 90' )

09 Rodriguez