CONFIRMED - Mane joins Liverpool for £34m + £2m addons

toe_punt

To be fair we never bothered replacing our best midfielder Morgan and our RB Clyne was replaced by two cheap players , neither capable of performing to the standard required . That affects my faith in the board . I think profit rather than the team defines them .

Also its Les Reed who keeps mentioning pushing on towards Champions League .

These things bother some fans

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

:mcinnes:

Yeah...terrible, so bad yet we achieved a higher place finish....

Yet how much better could it have been if we had replaced both high quality players ?

You're just like a broken record ffs

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Makes two of you then.....maybe you two could get a private thread to carry on your never ending ***** fight...

Is anyone else simply not bothered like myself? Was gutted when Lallana, Lovren, Clyne etc left but don't care about this. £34m is an unbelievable fee for someone who went missing in large parts of last season

Makes two of you then.....maybe you two could get a private thread to carry on your never ending ***** fight...

Nothing "broken record" about my post mate..

Kermit, I am not going to get in to another slagging match as i have moved on but i will post replies to your interesting stuff;)

Is anyone else simply not bothered like myself? Was gutted when Lallana, Lovren, Clyne etc left but don't care about this. £34m is an unbelievable fee for someone who went missing in large parts of last season

Not unbothered, but possibly less bothered than those you've mentioned because its become the norm now - and the move to Liverpool is a well-trodden path!

Not knocking Sadio at all as I think he has potential to go right to the very top, but he wanted to go and we've got top dollar for him.

It's good to get the deal done nice and early in the window so we can pursue our own targets. On to the next one!

Liverpool fans at work delighted. Their no 1 target this summer. Reckon he will play right midfield and displace Lallana. They've go no fecking clue. Won't dislodge Sturridge or Coutinho, so why did they buy him?

The ones at my work reckoned we'd gouged them for another meh player ?

I fear for him if he doesn't hit the ground running.

He doesn't come across as having a strong character or as one of the lads , more of a loner who barely cracks open a smile even when he scores!! He seems very shy, looks like a little boy lost in interviews. Did you see his his arrival "Hi I'm Sadio Mane, I'm glad to have signed for Liverpool" message read from a script like a robot? No feeling, no passion, more of a grimace than a smile. A bit like Conman's at Everton. This may come across badly with the bin dippers who will be expecting 3 minute hat tricks every week and a player saying posting how great the fans are #YNWA every 5 minutes.

Maybe Klippity Klopps touchy feely stuff may bring him out of his shell ... or drive him further into it. Who knows.

34 million was too much to turn down, especially if Senegal have a good African Nations run in January.

And too be honest when you look back at some of the abuse dished out to him from the terraces (seats doesn't sound so dramatic!!) in his first season and even this mid season just gone, you can't blame the lad for not feeling a sense of loyalty to us.

I wish him well as player and hope he has a good season, but that Liverpool as a club, crash and burn again!!

Good post Eric.

Mane did seem very shy, and coming from Senegal ...and having played for some years in different Euro countries, you can't expect so much rhetoric in an interview.

I wonder if he'll feel equally at home with the banter in the L'pool dressing room ...where nowadays English is a second language for many of them?

A prime example of a player who wildly radiated between genius and invisibility, but who let his feet do the talking for him. On his best days, he was unplayable.

The £34 million?...was surely a no-brainer. I doubt if he was the only good one in" the Black Box" , and there are surely more like him to be found in the future.

If he doesn't " deliver " on a regular basis, I fear the Kop may not be so patient with him as the fans were at SMS.

You're 40 years old yeah? Just guessing from your uid. So surely you should see it for what it is. We don't always sell our best players; we sell the ones on the last year of their contract, the ones that want away and the ones we can make the most markup on. It simple business really. The ones on a year left will be a dead asset at the end of next season and will go for nothing. The ones that want away might as well be sold *if* we get what we want for them. The ones that are worth a lot will be sold if we can get the price that matches the current market and we have another player lined up to replacement. Those ones may well be the best ones, but we've sold Juanmi this close season and I don't think anyone would call him one of the best players.

Saints are not a charity, they have to make money for their owners.

Ironic that, considering they run the club like a charity. Risk takers they are not and that = mediocrity in the longer term. Like it or not, football is all about the money and by that I mean spending the stuff. If they want to try and buck the trend and be frugal, fine. Do it at another club. Time to spend big or move on.

Ironic that, considering they run the club like a charity. Risk takers they are not and that = mediocrity in the longer term. Like it or not, football is all about the money and by that I mean spending the stuff. If they want to try and buck the trend and be frugal, fine. Do it at another club. Time to spend big or move on.

Clueless. You clearly have no idea how well we are run or what that actually means.

And spending big always works, right? Ask Newcastle. Spending smart is what matters.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Clueless. You clearly have no idea how well we are run or what that actually means.

TBF none of us really know if we are run well? Since NC left we have had one manager who if rumours are to be believed did not follow the club ethos of promoting youth etc. This managerial appointment will determine if we are well run or if RK put a team together and over achieved with that team.

You could argue that any company with the turnover in staff (and I don't mean just players. Also managers and back room staff) that we have had, would be concerned...unless of course short term success masked any underlying issues and led to an arrogant or complacent attitude. IMO if we have a good season this season then The model works and the board cannot be questioned in future.

If however Everton pass us then actually RK was a good appointment, he masked the true capability of the model and if Newcastle (To use your example) had chose him instead of Steve McLaren then we would probably be sat here saying they spent all that money wisely!

IMO it's a between the two extremes, the model is sustainable and will ensure that we stay in the premier league hovering probably between 14th and 8th. Exceptionally we may have a good season and finish top 6 or 7 but that is likely to be the exception rather than the norm and for a club our size that's as good as we can hope for and a success in its own right.

My frustration is the talk of top 4 etc..clearly the model we run will not get us in a place where we constantly fight for the top 4, it's a pipe dream and the club should not peddle that sort of rubbish.

Finally the model is not "fan friendly" we will never grow our fan base to a big club level as new fans want success and the constant selling our our "stars" mean that new fans looking for a team are highly unlikely to choose Saints. The counter is every club is a selling club and yes they are to an extent eg Liverpool sold Suarez however they do not sell their best players every season like we do! If we had Spurs team which of those who will be in their team on August 13th would have started with us next year?

TBF none of us really know if we are run well? Since NC left we have had one manager who if rumours are to be believed did not follow the club ethos of promoting youth etc. This managerial appointment will determine if we are well run or if RK put a team together and over achieved with that team.

You could argue that any company with the turnover in staff (and I don't mean just players. Also managers and back room staff) that we have had, would be concerned...unless of course short term success masked any underlying issues and led to an arrogant or complacent attitude. IMO if we have a good season this season then The model works and the board cannot be questioned in future.

If however Everton pass us then actually RK was a good appointment, he masked the true capability of the model and if Newcastle (To use your example) had chose him instead of Steve McLaren then we would probably be sat here saying they spent all that money wisely!

IMO it's a between the two extremes, the model is sustainable and will ensure that we stay in the premier league hovering probably between 14th and 8th. Exceptionally we may have a good season and finish top 6 or 7 but that is likely to be the exception rather than the norm and for a club our size that's as good as we can hope for and a success in its own right.

My frustration is the talk of top 4 etc..clearly the model we run will not get us in a place where we constantly fight for the top 4, it's a pipe dream and the club should not peddle that sort of rubbish.

Finally the model is not "fan friendly" we will never grow our fan base to a big club level as new fans want success and the constant selling our our "stars" mean that new fans looking for a team are highly unlikely to choose Saints. The counter is every club is a selling club and yes they are to an extent eg Liverpool sold Suarez however they do not sell their best players every season like we do! If we had Spurs team which of those who will be in their team on August 13th would have started with us next year?

Based on our accounts, progress over the past number of seasons, expansion/improvement of the training ground, dealing with "meltdowns", managerial appointments, player improvement, strategy and general philosophy/ethos then I would say we can easily say that we are well run, as have a number of individuals and organisations who have no emotional attachment to SFC whatsoever. Of course we should not be complacent as happened post 2003 Cup Final.

Based on our accounts, progress over the past number of seasons, expansion/improvement of the training ground, dealing with "meltdowns", managerial appointments, player improvement, strategy and general philosophy/ethos then I would say we can easily say that we are well run, as have a number of individuals and organisations who have no emotional attachment to SFC whatsoever. Of course we should not be complacent as happened post 2003 Cup Final.

We have only made one managerial appointment and did he follow the ethos? Were we successful because of him or the ethos? You could even argue he made the player recruitment given where they came from?

Sorry yes as a business we are well run and as I said I think we should be able to consolidate in the premier league. However we won't progress further As a number of other clubs (the big 4) plus Spurs, Everton, Liverpool and maybe West Ham will probably take our better players and finish in a higher average position over the next ten years.

There is also the risk that a couple of bad signings one summer, or the wrong managerial appointment and we could really struggle whereas a struggle for those clubs is finishing 8th! However I whichever way we were run the risk is probably the same for a club of our size.

Edited by Saint-Fred

Wow - It actually scares me that we have fans, that genuinely think like this. Unfortunately you are not alone, but that simply means, more morons and not that you are right.

To quote the only reasonable part of your post "Risk takers they are not" ....... correct and what a ****ing good job too. The last time we had risk takers at the helm, we ended in in League one, on minus ten points..... Do you remember that???????????

Money in football, buys you nothing, no guarantees, no certainty and simply fuels the merry go round. If we went and brought a 30 million pound player on 100k a week, who then went and had a fantastic season, what do you think would happened when Man Utd or whoever came in at fifty and offered to double their wages? Bearing in mind it was the double your wages offer that we made originally and the 10% of a huge transfer fee that attracted him to us in the first place?

We are not a man utd, man city, Chelsea or even Liverpool - We simply can't compete financially..... just like whoever you work for, wouldn't be able to compete if a competitor came and offered you twice as much money to do the same job for them. What we do have is a Club that has a history, philosophy and ethos of how they want to play, where they want some of those players to have come from and to be self sustaining.

Regardless of what any of us think of the individuals involved, since they took over, that has seen unprecedented success and year on year growth..... And you still complain !!!!!!!!!!! It's ****ing hilarious.

And the really funny part is when we don't finish as high for this next season ad we did the last .....and we almost certainly won't, you will think that completely vindicates your opinion .... it doesn't.

There will be no spending big, or above our means and that's fine by me and if that is what you want or expect, it might be time to head up the M6, which would give you a choice of two.

Wow - It actually scares me that we have fans, that genuinely think like this. Unfortunately you are not alone, but that simply means, more morons and not that you are right.

To quote the only reasonable part of your post "Risk takers they are not" ....... correct and what a ****ing good job too. The last time we had risk takers at the helm, we ended in in League one, on minus ten points..... Do you remember that???????????

Money in football, buys you nothing, no guarantees, no certainty and simply fuels the merry go round. If we went and brought a 30 million pound player on 100k a week, who then went and had a fantastic season, what do you think would happened when Man Utd or whoever came in at fifty and offered to double their wages? Bearing in mind it was the double your wages offer that we made originally and the 10% of a huge transfer fee that attracted him to us in the first place?

We are not a man utd, man city, Chelsea or even Liverpool - We simply can't compete financially..... just like whoever you work for, wouldn't be able to compete if a competitor came and offered you twice as much money to do the same job for them. What we do have is a Club that has a history, philosophy and ethos of how they want to play, where they want some of those players to have come from and to be self sustaining.

Regardless of what any of us think of the individuals involved, since they took over, that has seen unprecedented success and year on year growth..... And you still complain !!!!!!!!!!! It's ****ing hilarious.

And the really funny part is when we don't finish as high for this next season ad we did the last .....and we almost certainly won't, you will think that completely vindicates your opinion .... it doesn't.

There will be no spending big, or above our means and that's fine by me and if that is what you want or expect, it might be time to head up the M6, which would give you a choice of two.

I like to think that most authentic Saints fans are realistic to agree with you. I am grateful that we are owned by people with good values and a prudent outlook!

:lol:

#givepeaceachance

can't believe some people are still complaining about this......£34 million for Mane is a no-brainer.

I hope for his sake he does OK (except against us), but he does waver between being.... incomparable and invisible. There's a lack of consistancy in his game.

......that sort of money goes a long way at Saints, when you consider all the deals / sales we've made in the last 4 years.

The stats below came from a Liverpool fan who is creaming himself of watching Mané on the wing scoring a shed load of goals. Are the figures accurate?

Yeah I hate those guys that are under 25, can score goals in bunches, and share company with Alexis Sanchez (only non-strikers to scored 10+ goals in each of the last two PL seasons), and can beat good teams singlehanded with his goals.

I'm sure it's just coincidence that when he got moved off the second striker role, he started scoring again.

Last year he scored 9 goals and 5 assists in 21 games on RW; 4 G, 2A in 6 games on LW, and 2G, 2A in 16 games at SS or AM in all appearances, including as a sub.

If he plays all year as a winger and scores and assists at that rate, he'll be in the team of the season. 13G, 7A in 27 games is excellent. Add another 1/3 of production to it and you have 16G, 9A. That's fantastic for a winger in the PL.

I think if you are dead-set on seeing hundreds of millions of pounds being thrown around it is probably you that needs to go and find another club!

Top 2 lowest (net) spenders last season??

-----------League Postion

Spurs ---------2nd

Saints---------6th :smug:

Leicester somewhere in the middle...Yeah move along.

Top 2 lowest (net) spenders last season??

-----------League Postion

Spurs ---------2nd

Saints---------6th :smug:

Leicester somewhere in the middle...Yeah move along.

I think you need to check Spurs finishing position last season. :)

1) he's gone get over it.

2) yeah...... Those stats look nice but the flaw there is the 'if he plays all year', which he won't.

I know. I have.

It was a point of interest with the stats as most agree his best position is central and you're completely missed the point.