CONFIRMED - Mane joins Liverpool for £34m + £2m addons

toe_punt

£30m plus Ibe, pays for Redmond and Kostic with plenty left over and we lose one wide attacker and replace him with three.

In terms of squad building, that gives us two left wingers (Tadic being the other) and two right wingers.

Don't really want to lose Mane, but if it balances the squad in a similar way, perhaps it's good business - especially as he's itching to leave.

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

I think people better get used to the idea that Mane is going to Liverpool.

His agent has a massive say in his career unfortunately and the main factor in driving this move.

I just hope Redmond and Kostic are good additions to the squad and not replacements for Mane.

Mane is on a completely different level to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mane won't go if SFC - being a well run business, I'm told - won't accept a fee much below what Sterling and Carroll are valued at.

When will selling our best players each season stop?.........Surely enough is enough and our luck surely will run out eventually and we wont be able to sustain a top flight position in the top league. Why do we all seem to put up with it?............next year will be VVd and possibly Forster and Bertrand...............ffs stop selling our winning teams.

When will selling our best players each season stop?.........Surely enough is enough and our luck surely will run out eventually and we wont be able to sustain a top flight position in the top league. Why do we all seem to put up with it?............next year will be VVd and possibly Forster and Bertrand...............ffs stop selling our winning teams.

You're 40 years old yeah? Just guessing from your uid. So surely you should see it for what it is. We don't always sell our best players; we sell the ones on the last year of their contract, the ones that want away and the ones we can make the most markup on. It simple business really. The ones on a year left will be a dead asset at the end of next season and will go for nothing. The ones that want away might as well be sold *if* we get what we want for them. The ones that are worth a lot will be sold if we can get the price that matches the current market and we have another player lined up to replacement. Those ones may well be the best ones, but we've sold Juanmi this close season and I don't think anyone would call him one of the best players.

Saints are not a charity, they have to make money for their owners.

Mane won't go if SFC - being a well run business, I'm told - won't accept a fee much below what Sterling and Carroll are valued at.

You mean he won't go until next summer.... I'm damn sure if Mane told the club I'd love to stay they'd sign him up to a new contract but I'm guessing he hasn't. So what do people want keep him two more seasons and watch him walk for nothing, keep him another season and sale for 10 million next season, sale him now for 35 million and re-invest in the team. Which ever way you play it Mane still leaves people....

The sooner people realise that we're not Barca or Real and that bigger clubs, regardless of league position, are going to take our best players the better. It's the way of the world and always has been. Accept it and get over it.

Selling to a CL club I understand, selling to one of our rivals outside the top 4 I don't understand. Why strengthen Liverpool unless it's for a truly ridiculous, pull-their-pants-down fee? Makes no sense to me so I hope this is all paper talk. Would be gutted to sell one of our best players to that bunch of c**** again.

Selling to a CL club I understand, selling to one of our rivals outside the top 4 I don't understand. Why strengthen Liverpool unless it's for a truly ridiculous, pull-their-pants-down fee? Makes no sense to me so I hope this is all paper talk. Would be gutted to sell one of our best players to that bunch of c**** again.

Totally agree with this, and in my view if we're after £30m now, with 2 years left on his contract, i'd rather tell him he's going nowhere for a year and take £10-12m next year.

The sooner people realise that we're not Barca or Real and that bigger clubs, regardless of league position, are going to take our best players the better. It's the way of the world and always has been. Accept it and get over it.

Head/heart I'm afraid - while I accept it - it's bloody hard to live with.

I totally agree. I'm sick to the back teeth with it. Even the manager has ****ed off this season. He probably saw the list of players who were going to be sold and realised his position as manger had become untenable. We won't get away with it this time and in a strange way, I hope we don't. The board need to learn a lesson. How many other clubs would repeatedly accept this?

So do Leicester City but they managed to hang on to their prize asset. If Vardy was a Saints player we'd have already sold him. What we are doing does nothing for the fans or the long term future of the club.

If Mane was at Leicester they'd have already sold him for a £20m release clause.

You mean like they have sold Vardy? If Mane was there he would currently have a. Very decent wage rise sat in front of him to encourage him to stay.

Vardy chose to stay and sign a new contract just like VVD, Forster, JWP and Davis did recently. It's really not that ****ing hard to understand people if players are happy to stay and sign new contracts we keep them if they don't want to stay we cash in. Players like Clyne and Victor were offered new contracts and didn't want to sign them.

You mean like they have sold Vardy? If Mane was there he would currently have a. Very decent wage rise sat in front of him to encourage him to stay.

Southamptons wage bill is commensurate with our size and income, I believe we have the 9th biggest wage bill in the prem. We already pay as much as we can, so where is the extra money coming from?

Southamptons wage bill is commensurate with our size and income, I believe we have the 9th biggest wage bill in the prem. We already pay as much as we can, so where is the extra money coming from?

I would disagree with you there on the wage bill front,I have no doubt in my mind we can pay better wages to our top players,I just think we choose not to,could we pay Mane 100k a week yes,will we offer him that ??? probably not

WAGE.JPG

I would disagree with you there on the wage bill front,I have no doubt in my mind we can pay better wages to our top players,I just think we choose not to,could we pay Mane 100k a week yes,will we offer him that ??? probably not

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2063[/ATTACH]

the club cant work on system of just throwing money at every player who wants to leave and once we do I for one player the others will want the same treatment......their agents will have a field day.

Do you not think players like Mane & VVD are worth paying top $$ for, these players have serious potential and should be kept at all costs, we cant keep expecting to improve if we sell off all the best players and replace with unproven.

If your looking at buying unknowns making them prem quality and then being a feeder club for others and are happy with a 10-6 finish then own that and say it,don't wheel out Les at the end of each season giving it the big one saying we don't need to sell anymore we are aiming for CL etc etc and then flog everyone off again.

Even the most optimistic of fans can't keep believing that we will do it season after season,a few Juanmi type signings and we are going to be in a situation you don't want,everyone of the "top 4 " will strengthen big this summer and with the likes of Leicester/Spurs/Pool and even West Ham with there free stadium are going to be up there, so for me now is the time to shut the door and say that's it now,we have group stage European football and now we go for it we strengthen in all departments and have a crack at it.

With this team a few additions and the right manager we will be a force.

I think the Mane thing could go either way. One set of rumours suggest he is happy here and more likely to stay now RK has left. The other suggests he will swap European football for a higher wage packet at Liverpool. If the former is true he will sign a new contract and he will become a legend at SMS. If the latter is true then frankly we are well rid.

These comparisons with Vardy though are laughable. A 29 year old smoker who hit the big time very late on is more comparable with Rickie Lambert than Mane. Although we loved him, would we really have broken the bank to stop him going to Liverpool?

I think the Mane thing could go either way. One set of rumours suggest he is happy here and more likely to stay now RK has left. The other suggests he will swap European football for a higher wage packet at Liverpool. If the former is true he will sign a new contract and he will become a legend at SMS. If the latter is true then frankly we are well rid.

These comparisons with Vardy though are laughable. A 29 year old smoker who hit the big time very late on is more comparable with Rickie Lambert than Mane. Although we loved him, would we really have broken the bank to stop him going to Liverpool?

Lambert was a different situation,best years behind him and a very loyal servant that was offered a last big payday at his boyhood club, Mane is 24 with his best years ahead of him, rumours he didn't like RK so I would assume he didn't get the best out of him and we all know how damaging he can be when on it,I would break the bank and offer him a big new contract with the promise of selling next summer if he still felt the same, for all we know the new manager might build the team around him and he could score 20 goals next season and then he would be worth £40-50m.

I don't believe we have seen the best from him and I will be gutted if we see that next season at Liverpool all because they have paid him 100k a week and we wouldn't

Lambert was a different situation,best years behind him and a very loyal servant that was offered a last big payday at his boyhood club, Mane is 24 with his best years ahead of him, rumours he didn't like RK so I would assume he didn't get the best out of him and we all know how damaging he can be when on it,I would break the bank and offer him a big new contract with the promise of selling next summer if he still felt the same, for all we know the new manager might build the team around him and he could score 20 goals next season and then he would be worth £40-50m.

I don't believe we have seen the best from him and I will be gutted if we see that next season at Liverpool all because they have paid him 100k a week and we wouldn't

His agent wants a 125k a week allegedly.

also offering him a nice big contract and letting him leave next summer hardly seems worth it given he will miss the middle of next season at AFCON.

Of course his agent has inflated the wage demands, but that doesn't necessarily mean he will get that

Senegal are pretty turd as a team and he will be away 3-4 weeks max,small price to pay for a player of that class.

I get what you are saying,but he will be the player that moves on and lights up the prem, you can see when we play he scares defenders those type of attackers are few and far between in the prem and for me we hold on at all costs

LOL...not really just dont get all bed wetting over "skysources"

Perhaps you believe anything ....your choice..

Yes, I believe anything. (Serious answer - news on the BBC is, generally speaking, a reasonable indicator, they don't tend to post prematurely (there will be exceptions of course)).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2063[/ATTACH]

Where have you sourced that from? The *club* wage bill was ~£72m last season (14-15), so unless we paid backroom staff ~£17m(!), that's quite an underestimate. And that's without discounting the 15-16 totals being a prediction.

I hope the rumour that we have put a £40 million price tag on him is untrue. Cortese had the right idea on this. If we wanted to keep a player then they were not for sale. Full stop.

I think if we do sell (for any price) then it just proves RK to be correct. We (the club) lack ambition.

I hope the rumour that we have put a £40 million price tag on him is untrue. Cortese had the right idea on this. If we wanted to keep a player then they were not for sale. Full stop.

I think if we do sell (for any price) then it just proves RK to be correct. We (the club) lack ambition.

Apart from when he had a "gentlemen's agreement" with Schneiderlin that he could leave Summer 2014 for £10m. But it is the weak Saints board once again, who kept him for another year and sold him for £25m.

The £72m probably includes NI contributions too with the £59.5m just being salary

Not just NI, most footballers wages quoted in the press are tax paid, ie the club pays the tax for them and they actually take home the obscene amounts in their contracts.

He has. He'd be the highest paid player in the clubs history. He simply doesn't want to stay and wants to play for an elite level club, ideally MUFC. His agent expects a salary of an elite level player.

Not just NI, most footballers wages quoted in the press are tax paid, ie the club pays the tax for them and they actually take home the obscene amounts in their contracts.

Much of it is paid through representative companies in the form of 'image rights' and all sorts of tax dodges.

He has. He'd be the highest paid player in the clubs history. He simply doesn't want to stay and wants to play for an elite level club, ideally MUFC. His agent expects a salary of an elite level player.

Don't spoil the fantasy that it's all the clubs fault, through a lack of ambition, and that he'd happily stay if the club just throw money at him.....

Vardy chose to stay and sign a new contract just like VVD, Forster, JWP and Davis did recently. It's really not that ****ing hard to understand people if players are happy to stay and sign new contracts we keep them if they don't want to stay we cash in. Players like Clyne and Victor were offered new contracts and didn't want to sign them.

Lol why is it so hard for you to ****ing understand I was not making any reference to Southampton but a fictional situation at Leicester...idiot

I didn't suggest we would or should..I was referring to a fictional situation where he played for Leicester and the poster put Mane in Vardys place. I therefore corrected him that Mane in fact may not have been sold immediately he would have a new contract offer the same as Vardy has.

I don't think we have the 9th highest I thought RK said we were bottom 6 or something like that for playing budget?

Do you not think players like Mane & VVD are worth paying top $$ for, these players have serious potential and should be kept at all costs, we cant keep expecting to improve if we sell off all the best players and replace with unproven.

If your looking at buying unknowns making them prem quality and then being a feeder club for others and are happy with a 10-6 finish then own that and say it,don't wheel out Les at the end of each season giving it the big one saying we don't need to sell anymore we are aiming for CL etc etc and then flog everyone off again.

Even the most optimistic of fans can't keep believing that we will do it season after season,a few Juanmi type signings and we are going to be in a situation you don't want,everyone of the "top 4 " will strengthen big this summer and with the likes of Leicester/Spurs/Pool and even West Ham with there free stadium are going to be up there, so for me now is the time to shut the door and say that's it now,we have group stage European football and now we go for it we strengthen in all departments and have a crack at it.

With this team a few additions and the right manager we will be a force.

The policy we have of selling players for top dollar and using it to strengthen the squad considerably has worked IMO. It's frustrating players are leaving but if we do get two or three in for Mane IMO it may be a good move. My fear is we skimp on the quality and try to find 3-5 million bargains like Juami, Romeau, Cocu and end up padding the squad with players who may not add to the quality. We did that under Lowe and it didn't work.

There are good replacements out their for Mane and Wanyama but at some point we will need to break our record transfer to progress.

Fingers crossed we get the right manager!

I agree with the sound bites .just tell the truth and keep expectations in check, top 4 isn't a reality with nine or ten clubs probably outspending us and taking our best players seemingly at will?

Sorry yes I was just putting Mane in Vardys shoes not saying what we should do in response to the previous post saying he would have been sold by Leicester.

I believe that we probably have offered a good wage and its up to him if he fancies staying. The problem we have is that we either pay top money or the players move on, even then it may not be enough. IMO the club did the right thing with VVD as soon as its apparent it's worked out tie them down on a long deal, letting it get down to 2 years seems to not be working for us!

Payet will be an interesting comparison..West Ham have checked a bucketload of cash at him via a new contract but will they be able to hold on to him?

Lol why is it so hard for you to ****ing understand I was not making any reference to Southampton but a fictional situation at Leicester...idiot

I didn't suggest we would or should..I was referring to a fictional situation where he played for Leicester and the poster put Mane in Vardys place. I therefore corrected him that Mane in fact may not have been sold immediately he would have a new contract offer the same as Vardy has.

I don't think we have the 9th highest I thought RK said we were bottom 6 or something like that for playing budget?

Sorry yes I was just putting Mane in Vardys shoes not saying what we should do in response to the previous post saying he would have been sold by Leicester.

I believe that we probably have offered a good wage and its up to him if he fancies staying. The problem we have is that we either pay top money or the players move on, even then it may not be enough. IMO the club did the right thing with VVD as soon as its apparent it's worked out tie them down on a long deal, letting it get down to 2 years seems to not be working for us!

Payet will be an interesting comparison..West Ham have checked a bucketload of cash at him via a new contract but will they be able to hold on to him?

and yet I'm not the one having to explain what I meant to three different people........

Exactly this. And I don't know why it's so difficult for people to get their head around this. Players are driven playing at the highest possible level and by money, as are agents, Mane will go, the clubs job is to get the best price they can in order to re-invest.

Watch from 1:08, it sounds as if Mané was told to come here for 2-3 years and improve before moving on. He's done that, so fair play to him. He comes here and plays well, we get the profit and he gets his big move when he is more ready. Simple as that.

and yet I'm not the one having to explain what I meant to three different people........

I know but none of them were as aggressive with their reply as you! Sometimes people misunderstand what people write and that's fine, I am happy to have to explain but no need to be so aggressive eh?