the Danny Ings thread ----yet again

david in sweden

Ings was tipped last season .....and even before that as far as I can recall.

Now some of the smaller sites have re-emerged with rumours of a Saints' January signing...I haven't seem enough if him to rate him properly.(?)

....but with Pellé having scored only once in the last 6 games, that " striker responsibility" must be starting to weigh heavily on his shoulders, and having a good alternative is a must.

The big question must be IF we were to sign Ings ...... what will happen to Jay Rod ...on his eventual recovery?.

NOTE Obvious mistake on title .....I mean Danny Ings.

Edited by Jimmy_D
Fixed Title

Really not been that impressed, and wouldnt be backup to Pellè as he doesnt play the same way which makes it pretty redundant. If he wasnt a saints fan we wouldn't even be discussing it

Why wouldn't we? He's an England U21 international who's in form for one of the worst teams in the league.

He's proved himself at a lower level too.

Also, seems to be a top bloke judging by his charity work.

Not sure he'd start straight away but certainly would be a good addition.

Really not been that impressed, and wouldnt be backup to Pellè as he doesnt play the same way which makes it pretty redundant. If he wasnt a saints fan we wouldn't even be discussing it

Just remember if some people on here had their way we'd have Ings, Vokes and Jutwitez up front, Wade Elliott, Surman and Brian Howard in Midfield and Darryl Flahavan in goal.

Why wouldn't we? He's an England U21 international who's in form for one of the worst teams in the league.

Agree

Because he doesnt fit with the way we play, well, the only positions in which he would will be in place of Long or J Rod (who is better imo) he isnt the man to be back up to Pellè

Top level management isnt about buying who is on form Im afraid, they need to fit the system and frankly ings doesnt

Because he doesnt fit with the way we play, well, the only positions in which he would will be in place of Long or J Rod (who is better imo) he isnt the man to be back up to Pellè

Top level management isnt about buying who is on form Im afraid, they need to fit the system and frankly ings doesnt

Hang on a minute, Ings is young, hungry and therefore guarenteed to improve. What with him being a Saints fan he'd also provide us with that all important quality of PASSION and work rate. What more could we want?

Hang on a minute, Ings is young, hungry and therefore guarenteed to improve. What with him being a Saints fan he'd also provide us with that all important quality of PASSION and work rate. What more could we want?

Well there is that Turks, I myself hope we dump a 20m pound bid in. Whats karl Henry and Lee Cattermole up to these days ?

Well there is that Turks, I myself hope we dump a 20m pound bid in. Whats karl Henry and Lee Cattermole up to these days ?

I've long championed the signing of Cattermole, think he'd be the perfect replacement for Morgan when he goes, the "get stuck in" "break his f*cking legs" brigade will love him.

You forgot the Tat count; seriously good and up there with D Fox esq

So he doesn't fit in with our system, except in 2 positions? Like I said, he probably wouldn't be a starter but a good addition for next to nothing. JRod might not come back the same player and if he does, he'll be off pretty sharpish.

Not said he's there to play in Pelles role, but he's also an option up top if needed.

Improvement on Mayuka anyway.

He scores goals in the premier league? 4 goals in 11 appearances two of them being penaltys.. The idea is to sign better than what we have, he is not..

He's not better than Mayuka or Gallagher? Just how many goals did Jrod get in his first 11 games in this league? (Ings has missed a few games with injury too btw)

I'm not suggesting Ings but I don't reckon people should put to much faith in Jrod. No idea what he will be like after a long lay off coupled with not wanting to sign a new contract says to me we should find a replacement ASAP.

He scores goals in the premier league? 4 goals in 11 appearances two of them being penaltys.. The idea is to sign better than what we have, he is not..

Yeah, because you should always judge players on the ability of their teammates to create them chances when they're massively out of their depth...

I saw him play for Burnley against Stoke the other day when he got a couple of goals. I actually think he could fit into our play. He can do what Long & Pelle do. Clearly in a different way though. He was the top of the formation with Barnes behind him against Stoke. He is certainly quick enough. To simply dismiss him without watching him OR to simply say he is good enough because he supports Saints is silly.

IMHO I think he could do a job for us. Certainly prefer him coming off the bench than Mayuka!!!

When we were playing at their level maybe

I agree..I think that some (on here) were rather unfair in criticising Sharp, Guly, Hammond and Hooiveld - who it has to be said they DAJFU when it mattered - in the leagues we were at the time.

It might sound daft to mention Lee Barnard in the same breath as Rickie Lambert, but they were a formidable pair together when we were in L1. Barnard found his level, Lambert didn't know he had one.

We may have been spoilt to look back and see that; Lambert, Lallana, Fonte, Schneiderlin, Puncheon and Kelvin Davis were all with the club in the L1 days, yet didn't look totally out of place in the Prem.

.....although to be fair..... KD probably " peaked " in his excellent Championship season with 18(?) clean sheets - was it?

Clearly not everyone makes it in the Prem. where the gap up from Championship is a lot more than just those 3 promotion places. Just look at QPR, Burnley and Leicester.

We not always have bought wisely....but we were certainly wise NOT to buy in the likes of Elliott and Howard and a few others who are presently in L1/L2 clubs.

Yes to Danny Ings, especially if J-Rod wants to go.

However, I'm not sure we could offer him the regular first choice slot he would want from us, whereas Burnley could. If he could accept "competing for his place" then I would sign him up.

Top bloke off the pitch, by the look of it.

Think he'd understand that he might have a more secure career - not to mention a higher salary at Saints than Burnley (if they survive).

Koeman has said we need TWO good options for every position, and with Pellé scoring only once in the last 6 games, a bit of competition might not be a bad thing.

Good question - when DID Ings go ? ....and who was running the Academy at that time ?

can see him coming in Jan would improve the squad, mayuka imo offers nothing from the bench and is easily replaceable. if we have Jay rod back as well that improves our squad yet again. Win win to me. last 6 months of his contract so will also be relatively cheap.

Crowds

Ings may have a piece of potential but would need to show more over the season to be a good signing for the Saints. Although it depends on which domain in the league standings you wish to maintain.

If I suggested that Shinji Okazaki is a more rounded goalscorer and a better option you would mostly laugh at me. Yet if someone is a local support of the Club then their historic record is less important.

Interesting.

No idea of the veracity of it, but someone who is apparently "close" to Ings passed on that Liverpool were sniffing around and agents have already been trying to do the deal. As someone else has already said, I find it difficult to believe that even if someone was sniffing and Ings was keen that Burnley would sell this side of June 2015.

If we had the chance, then think I'd take him.

I'd be happy with any of Wickham, Austin or Ings. English PL strikers though cost a few bob. Weren't we linked with that German player? Can't recall his name.

Oliver Bierhoff ?

Of the English players you mention, Ings might not be excessively expensive owing to his contract situation. Austin would be a good signing on the face of it, except probaby an inflated price, and from the snippets of 'info' often trotted out, is that he has a reputation of being a bit of a knob, so you wonder if he'd fit in with 'the dressing room'.

On the subject of Austin though, I wonder where he might have been now had we signed him in L1 when we were rumoured to be in for him (and Swindon declined to sell to us).

RK was asked about the reported links to Ings, as part of a wider question today about the January window. Unlike previous names, when he flat out says No, that is incorrect, he replied "I dont talk about individuals". RK went on to suggest that he is largely happy with the squad and implied that there may not be much business done, or at least that was my interpretation.

RK was asked about the reported links to Ings, as part of a wider question today about the January window. Unlike previous names, when he flat out says No, that is incorrect, he replied "I dont talk about individuals". RK went on to suggest that he is largely happy with the squad and implied that there may not be much business done, or at least that was my interpretation.

.....or perhaps " Les " had suggested that he shouldn't be quite so outspoken and honest on everything..(the nature of transfer deals being so delicate).

Last season we had Lambert, Osvaldo and Rodriguez. Now we could have Pelle and Ings woooop. Lets sell our ungrateful cripple for £20mill and buy someone lavish and exotic please, preferably South or Central American.

Surely we can find another world beater from Ecuador, can't be that difficult can it?

Really can't see how anybody thinks Ings wouldn't be a squad improvement, irrespective of who he supports.

Because he would only play in Longs or Jay Rods position, and we already have Long and Jay Rod there, added to Tadic and Mane. So no, I dont really see him as an improvement. Especially as the 7m or so would be better spent elsewhere.

Because he would only play in Longs or Jay Rods position, and we already have Long and Jay Rod there, added to Tadic and Mane. So no, I dont really see him as an improvement. Especially as the 7m or so would be better spent elsewhere.

We've got Jay Rod in a similar way to how we have Boruc.

Assuming that's a dead loss, we'd be getting a younger player for a net profit.

Certainly it's not the solution for Pelle back up.

Frankly the 'system' I saw against Man. City and very recently isn't one to get excited about and desperately hold on to. So being precious about that doesn't hold much water...