the Danny Ings thread ----yet again

david in sweden

Would you rather see Ings or Mayuka coming off the bench. I rest my case.

Ings by a mile. But equally Carlton Cole, Jamie Vardy, Bobby Zamora and Cameron Jerome would be better coming off the bench than Mayuka and we don't want to sign any of them.

Id rather see J Rod, Manè or long. We arent massively short there especially when Jays back and he isnt really a wide man. There will be better options for the money he'll cost in Jan.

Why are you so sure that A) Jrod will be the same player he was before injury B) Jrod has any intention of staying?

after his perfomance yesterday.....I think we ought to take a good long look at DI again. For someone with 6 months left on his contract- he ought to be available for a reasonable fee.

Without actually scoring, he caused our defenders (Fonte especially), no end of problems, (perhaps more than RVP who was almost invisible except for his excellent opportunist goals).

We are all awaiting Jay Rod's return, (now perhaps even February...or?)...... but will it be a return to the form that he was showing before he got injured?

Pelle is still a good player, but he needs help /support / competition....and Ings certainly looked the part.

Thought he looked a handful even in the cup game last season. We are really only playing with one central striker in the squad, it's simply not sustainable for a season. We should have made a move for him in the summer, I'd certainly try in January

We did make a move for him in the summer. Sounds like he may be off to Ajax (which seems a bit odd).

What would he cost considering he only has 6 months left on his contract?

As much as he would if he had 3 years left. Burnley aren't in a position where we have to rake in three or four million no matter what the long-term cost. We'll hold on to him until summer, and then, assuming Ings doesn't sign another contract in the meantime (he probably won't), then we get a tribunal fee unless he leaves the country.

Premier league quality strikers don't come cheap, and if Ings goes we haven't a replacement. The potential to stay up is worth a lot more than the potential Ings transfer fee.

As much as he would if he had 3 years left. Burnley aren't in a position where we have to rake in three or four million no matter what the long-term cost. We'll hold on to him until summer, and then, assuming Ings doesn't sign another contract in the meantime (he probably won't), then we get a tribunal fee unless he leaves the country.

Premier league quality strikers don't come cheap, and if Ings goes we haven't a replacement. The potential to stay up is worth a lot more than the potential Ings transfer fee.

Exactly how I'd see it if I supported Burnley.

A good analysis dsr burnley, a situation that Saints are surely aware of. Not sure if Danny's boyhood dream of playing for Saints is an incentive to move, or he hates our guts for releasing him?

One thing to be sure is ..his chances of getting into a full England squad which will be zero - if you don't beat the drop at the end of the season.

Good luck anyway, Saints spent too many seasons at the wrong end of the Prem.table..... and it's heart-breaking to lose a good player (to bigger clubs), and not have a top class replacement.

Edited by david in sweden

We used to think it was tied on that Ings would want to go back to Southampton, partly because of rumours that he was really homesick. But then last summer he spent most of the off season in Burnley, before pre-season started, when he could have been back down south if he'd wanted too.

He does genuinely seem to like people, especially disabled people - quite apart from his disabled soccer school. There's a very touching photo somewhere of him giving his boots to a disabled youngster after a match, and giving him a kiss (on top of his head) too. There was a charity match in Burnley for a man dying of cancer, Ings was there before kickoff and for at least a couple of hours afterwards, signing things, having his photo taken, etc. A boy who had been off school for weeks with illness had a knock on the door and there was Danny Ings, with a signed shirt, come round to play computer soccer with him. He does seem to be a genuinely good bloke. A credit to football.

Shame he won't sign a new contract at Burnley! :(

• 1 month later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2925015/Danny-Ings-targeted-Tottenham-Mauricio-Pochettino-considers-5million-swoop.html

Tottenham will this week consider an £5million swoop for Burnley striker Danny Ings.

Mauricio Pochettino wants to add to his forward line before the transfer deadline, and Ings is high on his list of options.

We should offer Burnley £10 million and just do the deal. In the current market, it would be a fair price, regardless of his contract situation. There's no way we'd get him on a free in the summer.

I suppose the thing is the cost of the whole package. If there is no fee Ings will expect higher wages. Whatever. Come home Danny and score a shed load.

all the things I've read seem to suggest that;

1) Burnley won't allow him to go before the summer, as they see him as a key to their survival.

2) he (supposedly) said that he would see out his contract until end of season.

3) the only people at SFC who are " really keen on him " are our fans, and we don't know if he even " made it out of the Black Box" as a " possible buy " candidate.

exactly what Les / Ronald think about him.... (or anyone else) will become apparant before Feb. 2

I wonder what are chances are of persuading Burnley to sell now with an enhanced offer? The value won't be as great in the summer and a bigger bid now could allow them to strengthen really well and boost their survival bid.

I'd imagine if there's a bid in, they'll only sell if they can finalise a deal for a striker to replace him.

I wonder what are chances are of persuading Burnley to sell now with an enhanced offer? The value won't be as great in the summer and a bigger bid now could allow them to strengthen really well and boost their survival bid.

Very little i would think. His goals will be far more valuable to them than any realistic fee clubs would pay

Very little i would think. His goals will be far more valuable to them than any realistic fee clubs would pay

This.

And whatever anybody offered for him right now, it couldn't outweigh the money they'd lose if they got relegated as a consequence.

I'd imagine if there's a bid in, they'll only sell if they can finalise a deal for a striker to replace him.

Maybe we could tempt them with a cash and swop deal for a Zambian International Striker, just hope they don't have a 'black box'.