Saints 1 Man Utd 2 - Post Match Meltdown

St Chalet

Not too sure about the order of subs.

Assume Tadic couldn't last 90 but Long instead of Mane ? that didn't make too much sense based on showing.

Mane started the season well but the last 5 games he's just become like a teenager whose feet are to big for him and coordination is shot, no coordination.

So disappointing. We were the better team for the most part. Utd offered nothing up front but we simply gifted them soft goals, like we did against City (who in fairness were a much better team).

The lack of squad depth is killing us now. The inexperience on our bench and lack of any decent attacking players to turn to when we're chasing a game is really hurting us.

Shout out to Yoshida who I thought had a good game, also Davis and Wanyama were immense.

The front 3 despite the goal are not clicking, passes going astray, over complicating.

Fonte had a shocking start but came back well.

Forster after the villa game doesn't want to leave his 6 yard box for anything.

We couldn't beat the worst Man U side I have seen in over 45 years of watching Saints. I think the club need to smash that black box as it produces more dunces than gems. I don't like picking on players but for a 10m pound keeper who doesn't come out of the 6 yard box to collect or kick the ball clear is poor. add to that having 2headless chickens up front and a 12 m non goal scorer ( I do like his endeavour though)

When will Morgan be back ?
TV showed him being chatted up and poached by Luke Shaw. A|t least Man U will [paid a better price that anyone else.

Koeman's substitutions stink. We should and could have won had Koeman used Gardos and Reed.

Gifted them victory with two errors, didn't take our chances or make our domination count and paid for it. So disappointing to more than match two top teams with a weakened side and come away with nothing.

Yes, but lots of teams say that. In a way the Burnley game is more important as it is this sort of game that we need tom get three points from.

United were there for the taking for the first time in a long time and we simply weren't good enough......

Against Arsenal they had one shot on target and won 2-0, and tonight, two shots on target and they win 2-1. That's the difference between us and the bigger teams.....

No meltdown needed IMO, we've played Man Utd and Arsenal, two perennial Champs League contenders and been competitive in both games. We've wasted chances like we did against Spuds and Liverpool but we've at least had the opportunities.

It was only two individual errors which cost us tonight. It's not as if we looked poor defensively. Rooney, Mata and Fellaini all kept mostly quiet. RVP didn't have too many chances aside from the two goals.

We lost that game because of lack of confidence at both ends of the pitch.

We had the better of the game, but made 2 poor errors at the back and should have scored much more than 1 with the chances and good situations we had at the other end.

Need to get that confidence and composure back or it could be a long second half of the season. Very frustrating as really think Utd were there for the taking for us tonight.

One final point - what the hell has Reed done to Koeman? Do not understand why he didn't play some part tonight.

If you can't beat a fu( ing pub team you deserve jack $it.

We turned it on for about 3 1 minute spells, were better than them when we were crap and still lose. Mayuka, Mane and Yoshida all look poor (to complete dog-turd) and it was like we were back to having good ol' Jos in defence.

Had to leave the pub early: the plastics were f(g annoying too.

United were there for the taking for the first time in a long time and we simply weren't good enough......

Against Arsenal they had one shot on target and won 2-0, and tonight, two shots on target and they win 2-1. That's the difference between us and the bigger teams.....

That and the fact they have depths in the squad to cope with a few injuries.

Awful really, yes you can say that we played ok, but they were really poor and we still failed to beat them, so realistically what does that make us? They must have thought they were playing father fukin christmas. Fontes gift and then one that the keeper should have easily dealt with or at least influenced. 3 points chucked away as far as I can see.

Is now the time for everyone to have a little reality check? We sit fifth in the table behind three sides with huge spending power and we have way surpassed any realistic expectations any genuine fan would have had at the start of the season. I appreciate the last three results have been disappointing, but we have competed well against two teams (Man Ure and Arsenal) who are likely to battle it for the top four and we still have a great chance of a top half finish. Granted I only listened to tonight's game on Radio Five but it sounded like we dominated the game and deserved to win, and that is against a side that has spent a ridiculous amount of money this season. Take RVP out of the equation and we win the game. Lets stick with the boys, keep our heads up and look forward to the rest of the season.

We had the better of the game, but made 2 poor errors at the back and should have scored much more than 1 with the chances and good situations we had at the other end.

Need to get that confidence and composure back or it could be a long second half of the season. Very frustrating as really think Utd were there for the taking for us tonight.

One final point - what the hell has Reed done to Koeman? Do not understand why he didn't play some part tonight.

Agree with that. 3 points against Burnley and we can all start to breathe easily again. A defeat and we will be sliding down into the relegation scrappers.

Good points. Wondered about the Hesketh substitution too: physically he looked just far too lightweight and didn't really get involved enough (i.e. he could have done a bit more). Did get a bit cramped in the middle at times though.

Devastated, what can you say? We can look at the stats and try to take positives, but ultimately we've lost again. We need to get a bit of perspective, there will be no top 6 or 4 finish. We need to focus on the league cup now and take a mid table finish. But that was our chance, and I'm gutted its gone. One of the most painful defeats in recent years.

What can be added?

Not clinical enough, few players not at their best, two soft goals, link-up play not at last years standards ... bench not exactly filled with options. Stuff we all know.

We were the better side, could and should have won, and are still sitting 5th with some of the more difficult games out of the way.

Glad to see Pelle back looking more like himself, Burnley will be a test but I hope we have enough to win.

PS nice to see Hesketh make a debut, looked okay. Always delighted to see another one starting to come through, genuinely makes our club special!

TV showed him being chatted up and poached by Luke Shaw. A|t least Man U will [paid a better price that anyone else.

Koeman's substitutions stink. We should and could have won had Koeman used Gardos and Reed.

Would they of stopped the two goals then?

Is now the time for everyone to have a little reality check? We sit fifth in the table behind three sides with huge spending power and we have way surpassed any realistic expectations any genuine fan would have had at the start of the season. I appreciate the last three results have been disappointing, but we have competed well against two teams (Man Ure and Arsenal) who are likely to battle it for the top four and we still have a great chance of a top half finish. Granted I only listened to tonight's game on Radio Five but it sounded like we dominated the game and deserved to win, and that is against a side that has spent a ridiculous amount of money this season. Take RVP out of the equation and we win the game. Lets stick with the boys, keep our heads up and look forward to the rest of the season.

You can't post that on here - this after match thread is for moaning about the manager and slagging off the players. Go and find a 'positive posters' forum to play on.

How many European clubs have you managed, other than on Football Manager ?
I have never played Football Manager EVER.

Please explain the point of Koeman using Hesketh when he could have brought on Gardos and moved Bertrand up leaving Yoshida at left back and Gardos in the center with Fonte.

Frustrating evening with Mane running around like a headless chicken for most of the game.And Long can't finish. Major problem!!

Had enough to win that game but belief and confidence appears to be slipping alarmingly. Burnley will be up for a battle...........can't see anything from that game on tonights performance. And to be honest United were not anything special!!

Devastated, what can you say? We can look at the stats and try to take positives, but ultimately we've lost again. We need to get a bit of perspective, there will be no top 6 or 4 finish. We need to focus on the league cup now and take a mid table finish. But that was our chance, and I'm gutted its gone. One of the most painful defeats in recent years.

Has someone been playing with your calendar? Nothing's been decided tonight

Better side lost. More clinical side won. Simple. Some good performances particularly from Big Vic but too many erratic moments from others let us down at crucial moments. Hopefully more bodies available for Burnley - Toby & Morgan especially. Need to see ourselves through to January as near to the top six as possible and look to acquire some decent forward options to support Pelle & Tadic. Maybe even a return for Jay Rod. Keep the faith!

Who would you have substituted for Gardos and why? Who would you have substituted for Reed and why? I'm genuinely interested in your footballing masterclass.