Burnley build up

SO16_Saint

Complete tosh - our midfield coped much better than was expected. Couldn't tell that we had one less defensively-minded CM on the pitch.

I'm sure Reed is a talented player but the coaches who watch him every day clearly don't think he is ready for Premier League football. I'm not sure on what basis some people have decided he is the answer to our problems. If he was the key man who would have won the game for us against Arsenal, City and Utd I'm sure he'd have played a fair few games for us already.

Another disappointing result beckons

Don't be a tit. How many £30m players do Burnley have.

I'm sure Reed is a talented player but the coaches who watch him every day clearly don't think he is ready for Premier League football. I'm not sure on what basis some people have decided he is the answer to our problems. If he was the key man who would have won the game for us against Arsenal, City and Utd I'm sure he'd have played a fair few games for us already.

Don't be a tit. How many £30m players do Burnley have.

What's that got to do with it. United are a shambles yet they just turned us over. More Mayuka late subbing, Mane being utterly ineffective and a defensive **** up and another game gone. I genuinely thought we'd be up there looking at Europe this season, was a false dawn however

What's that got to do with it. United are a shambles yet they just turned us over. More Mayuka late subbing, Mane being utterly ineffective and a defensive **** up and another game gone. I genuinely thought we'd be up there looking at Europe this season, was a false dawn however

We are 5th, not 15th, and the difference tonight was down to RVP.

Why play vastly underperforming mane and risk getting caught out in midfield. Go back to the solid 3 in midfield approach that got us points.

That's RK's judgement call - will Mane represent a bigger risk to Burnley's defence with his attacking, or to ours with his lack of midfield tenacity ?

And we'll be another mediocre 10 come season end.

Maybe, maybe not, but I don't think we're playing badly at present, we just got mugged 3 times in a week by teams with vastly superior resources and experience - if Morgan and Toby had been fit tonight I suspect we would have won.

And we'll be another mediocre 10 come season end. And all the usual suspects will be 1-6. Like I intimated, just disappointed I got caught up in the hype!

The usual suspects...

Chelsea, City, Utd and Arsenal. You would have to be pretty optimistic to think we can break those four but it is possible.

Then who's next?

Liverpool - The team who just drew at home to Sunderland and Ludogorets and got spanked by Palace. Balloheskey? :lol:

Spurs - Have been hopeless at home, overall. Without red cards for Hull and Villa they would be well adrift

Everton - Martinez seems to be turning them into the next Wigan.

Why can't we compete with that lot?

Sorry second half it was completely obvious we were being caught out regularly.

No it wasn't completely obvious. Despite supposedly being caught out regularly, an expensively assembled side created nothing or even enjoy much possession. Yes we tired but if anything, the changes upfront disrupted the balance. Never mind there isnt a shred of evidence that Reed would have improved matters.

The Dingles are really not that good, and this is a perfect opportunity to get back into our stride.

2-0 Saints, Pelle and Long.

The Dingles will be a whole lot better than Man Utd tonight, and we failed to beat them at home. Our finishing in front of goal is woeful, we look short of confidence and FF blows hot and cold. Throw in our injuries and this is no easy game. Burnley will be well up for this given our recent form. I'd take a point now, but can see us getting nothing.

play like we did tonight (against united) and we will win

Was just about to type exactly this.

If we play like we did last night, we would have beaten 10-12 of the teams in this league at a canter.

We just have to keep believing in ourselves and the results will come

Southamptons early season form seems a long time ago, they are in a terrible run, their once solid defence is making mistake after mistake and the goals have dried up for them which is not a good combination. Meanwhile Burnley haven't had an easy start to life in the premier league and have to string a run of wins together and I think they can, starting with a win here.

Dorkish prediction Burnley 4 southampton 0

MUST WIN.

We could beat Burnley and still lose a dozen matches after that, why is the next one specifically a 'MUST WIN'?

If we were to lose to Burnley yet regain those points by beating, say... Chelsea, would Burnley still have been 'MUST WIN'?

A strong result would help to build a little momentum again, but the next match is no more independently important than any other upcoming league fixture.

Or not.

We could beat Burnley and still lose a dozen matches after that, why is the next one specifically a 'MUST WIN'?

If we were to lose to Burnley yet regain those points by beating, say... Chelsea, would Burnley still have been 'MUST WIN'?

What will happen if we don't?

Caught 3! Anyone else want to bite? :D

I thought the capitals would make it obvious I was taking the p!ss!

MUST WIN.

This really is a must win. We need to win this to get the season back on track and put to rest the last 3 games. We also have the quarter final after Burnley and a win would give the squad big confidence for arguably our biggest game of the season.

Fingers crossed Toby and Morgan are both fit. Would make a huge difference to us just to give us an option or two off the bench. Yoshi in for Toby if necessary. Would be tempted to start with Reed in CM alongside VW and Davis if Morgan isn't back.

Forster; Clyne Fonte Toby Bertrand; Wanyama Davis Morgan; Tadic Pelle Long

Which game is more important for the fans, Burnley or Sheff Utd?

Considering it's likely we will be taking at least double and maybe 3 times the number to Sheffield on Tuesday than we will to Burnley on Saturday it looks like the cup game is.

Forster; Clyne Fonte Toby Bertrand; Wanyama Davis Morgan; Tadic Pelle Long

Out of curiosity, why not list the team as

Fraser, Nathaniel, Jose, Toby, Ryan, Victor, Steve, Morgan, Dusan, Graziano, Shane ? Why do only 2 players get first name familiarity ?

The Dingles will be a whole lot better than Man Utd tonight, and we failed to beat them at home. Our finishing in front of goal is woeful, we look short of confidence and FF blows hot and cold. Throw in our injuries and this is no easy game. Burnley will be well up for this given our recent form. I'd take a point now, but can see us getting nothing.

With all due respect to Burnley (who i like!), you can not honestly go to a relegation threatened club with the mindset of we'll do well to get a point unless you think we ourselves are at relegation scrap level?!?!

It is not our players that are low on confidence but some of our fans.

Too many have forgotten that we are 5th in the league, with some really exciting players. They are all to eager to come on here and slag off the players and tactics as if we should expect to have won at home to Man city, won and arsenal etc. These guys need to get real.

Yes we would have all loved to pick up points from those games and are disappointed not to have, but the simple truth is that once again our heavy injury list has hit at the same time as us playing all the big teams.

We're still very much in and about the top 6 so is it really that big a deal? Or did people think we were actually coming top 2 by the end of the season?

Support the team, stop blasting all the players and for gods sake, we aren't bottom of the league, we can still expect to go to Burnley without having to snap there arm off for a point pre match... this isn't like playing chelsea away ffs. Man up!

Just need to forget recent results and focus on the fact we are a much better side than Burnley. Match their workrate and chances will come.

I'd keep Long in, this is the sort of game he should be scoring in. Drop Mane and put Reed in midfield if Cork and Morgan are out.

Huge game though. Losing 3 competitive games is one thing, but if you bounce back and keep beating the rest, you really have something.

I would agree with that.

If we play like we did against united and arsenal, we will win nicely

Out of curiosity, why not list the team as

Fraser, Nathaniel, Jose, Toby, Ryan, Victor, Steve, Morgan, Dusan, Graziano, Shane ? Why do only 2 players get first name familiarity ?

I've no idea....probably laziness of having to write long names. Also - on tapatalk it always autcorrects those!!!