Can you cook?

TopGun

Obviously we know Batman can cook.

I am reasonable at a few good dishes with basic ingredients to start with and refer to the internet for inspiration occasionally. I am rubbish at desserts as I have no interest in them...

Still go down the chippy when feeling lazy though.

Why are you mentioning me?

Again, still not sure why you and others seem to think that being a chef in the RN is some sort of way of taking the mick?

They are the most powerful people on board (after the skipper)

Wish I did have that power as it is certainly a job I could not do

Again, still not sure why you and others seem to think that being a chef in the RN is some sort of way of taking the mick?

An army or navy fights on its stomach! I'm offering you a compliment! I'm sure you know how to cook far better than most people!!

If I was facing a man with a rifle or some stodgy porridge Id know who Id rather tackle tbf

An army or navy fights on its stomach! I'm offering you a compliment! I'm sure you know how to cook far better than most people!!

You are not though as you have been here for many years and know full well I am not a chef.

You were trying (and still are) to take the mick

I find that pretty poor as some of my mates are chefs and work very hard in a job I could never do.

Just really odd

As for cooking at home. I am not too bad really

You are not though as you have been here for many years and know full well I am not a chef.

You were trying (and still are) to take the mick

I find that pretty poor as some of my mates are chefs and work very hard in a job I could never do.

Just really odd

As for cooking at home. I am not too bad really

It's a genuine thread title and I am sure your RN guys are brilliant at chefing.

I am interested in knowing how good people are at cooking and whether they like it and would like to improve their skills.

And also any top tips or recipes too.

Edited by TopGun

It's a genuine thread title and I am sure your RN guys are brilliant at chefing.

I am interested in knowing how good people are at cooking and whether they like it and would like to improve their skills.

And also any top tips or recipes too.

Then why did you state that you know I am a good cook? Never have I mentioned anything about that on here?

All kids should be taught basic cookery at school. It would show them that you don't have to spend a fortune to eat well.

My skills are nothing fancy but I can manage most basic dishes - roast dinner, curry, chilli, shepherds pie and stuff like that.

Also like doing fruit crumbles as they're so easy. Never had much luck with pastry but, luckily, Mrs ecuk268 is very good at that.

Get over it Batman... it was meant to be a nice nod to you.

Don't rile him, TopGun. He's not happy.

jamie.png

Cooking is a noble art, btw. I don't know why he gets so angry when it's mentioned. Probs because he's Chief Petty Latrine Licker or something.

Edited by pap

Don't enjoy cooking at all, I see food a a fuel source and that's it. Still waiting for a pill to be developed that gives you all your basic requirements, and makes you feel full up !!!

The US government should be experimenting with that out in the gulf, not a frickin' laser beam.

I'm an okay cook and cook 90% of the meals in our house. I never, ever make any instant meals and only feed my kids using proper meat and vegetables, nothing processed at all. I've got a fairly limited repertoire, but enough to keep it fairly interesting and not too repetitive. We eat quite a lot of Mexican stuff, fajitas and tacos etc, pasta with sauce, curries, loads and loads of stir fry things, salmon, white fish etc. My wife's a better cook, but doesn't have the time for day to day stuff, she's better at making more complex stuff from the ground up.

It's so much easier nowadays, you can just grab the ipad or laptop and find out how to do something, so you don't even need to have a cookbook.

The main way I've improved over the last few years is definitely veg. I usually serve about three different freshly cooked vegetables with each meal now, where it used to be one on average, far fewer or no carbs now as well.

I make my kids join in with making dinner too, so that they'll grow up knowing how to make at least a few healthy meals and won't be afraid to try to make stuff. I'm cooking full Christmas dinner on my own for 14 this year, which is about normal.

I learnt to cook in the field. 24 hour Rats packs is the way to go, amazing what you could conjure up with a few spices especially curry powder. Jamie will confirm this

Back to the OP , yes i do like to cook , Im reasonably okay with making curries and chinese, not your tinned or packaged stuff. I make a pretty good Nasi Goreng. my guests always want more, Not so hot on desserts unless it is a fruit crumble of some description

I will be doing christmas dinner again this year as I have done for many years. The prep can be a bit of a pain though

I can recommend the ballymaloe cookery course by Darina Allen. Some cracking recipes and detailed technique advice. I have a shelf full of cookery books but this, along with a dog eared pamphlet from a cookery course I did in Thailand, gets the most use.

I moved out at a young age and learned to cook then. ms pap claims I am the best cook in the house and that I should cook more often. The only part of that I believe is her wish for me to cook more often.

I do pizza from scratch. Easy really, bit of dough making and blind baking for the base, bit of alchemy and not-so-secret ingredient for the sauce, but people are impressed.

It makes me laugh when people say they cook from scratch and then it turns out they use shop-bought oven & utensils etc. I hunter-gatherer in the manner of my ancestors!

Last night I went to San Carlo restaurant in Birmingham. It's pretty good restaurant! They have photos when you walk in of all the famous bros that eat there, and centre piece stood with the owner or whatever, gurning at the camera, was our own Shane Long! When it came to ordering I asked for "Whatever Shane Long had," and the waiter looked at me for a moment like I was mental, but then he nodded and brought me every item on the menu. It was ridiculous! I was v.hungry but I couldn't even get halfway through the various courses. I complained and the waiter bro said, 'But Sir, you ordered the Shane Long. You see? You couldn't finish.'

We eat quite a lot of Mexican stuff, fajitas and tacos etc, pasta with sauce, curries, loads and loads of stir fry things, salmon, white fish etc. My wife's a better cook, but doesn't have the time for day to day stuff, she's better at making more complex stuff from the ground up.

far fewer or no carbs now as well.

:?:

:?:

Having trouble with the word "fewer"? I'm not putting my kids on a carb free diet, but they never get chips or potatoes and things like rice, pasta or noodles make up a very token part of any meal nowadays. There was a time when they were a main part of any meal, so yes, fewer, often none.

No problem with the right sort of carbs, they are vital to any real diet imo and I couldnt do the exercise I do with out them, but granted, Im not a kid. Its just about balance IMO.

As for cooking, never tried any asian cookery and the only spice I use is paprika but have most traditional styles pretty much half decent. Cook a variety of pies, stews, roasts, italian stuff like lasange and gnochi plus other traditional bits and bobs. Can make sauces well etc. But I enjoy it and have a lot of cook books.

I dont make up my own recipes though but theres so many out there to tweak

Then why did you state that you know I am a good cook? Never have I mentioned anything about that on here?

Calm down Casey!

seagal_cook.jpg

Yes I can cook, my signature dish is crab linguine, but I tend to do mainly fish and meats.

Edited by Turkish