Burnley 1 Saints 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

Oh dear. Missing a penalty is indefensible at this level- Pelle should take them from now on. Tadic had a poor game in general. I don't really understand the decision to play Mane over Long either.

On the plus side, great to have JWP back and putting in some great crosses.

Tadic kills our attack these days, just kills it dead.

No idea what's up with him.

We were really poor today, Tadic had a shocker, even Mane was better than him today. He created nothing and missed a penalty, he shouldn't be taking pens, his one against Arsenal was a fluke.

Davis played well, Hesketh did for the time he was on, Pelle played well. The problem is from wide areas at the moment we're so poor. I think we need to take Mane/Tadic out of the next game, they're tired.

Hesketh isn't even our best academy product and he played better than Mane, I'd like Long up front with Pelle or Seager. But even he's **** at the moment

Players who are playing poorly at the moment, Fonte/Foster/Long/Victor/Pelle/Mane/Tadic/

Can't fault Bertrand or Clyne, they're doing well, Toby had a bad game today. JWP looked okay when he came on, obviously rusty.

Meh, one of those games where our lack of end product is really starting to show. We play far too much pretty football with little end result, Burnley were the opposite they were direct and it worked against us. Koeman needs to have a different approach for Tuesday.

Would/could have been a completely different outcome if the penalty had gone in. Small margins but should have beaten a poor Burnley side.

Still in a decent position but need to arrest the slide sooner rather than later.

Come back soon Morgan, please....

P.s. Pompey lost at home to Accrington. That's Accrington. Every cloud....

Mane hasn't earnt his place at all.. He seems to get worse the more he plays....Tadic is going through a rough spell but still looks reasonably dangerous. Mane seems to suck the life out of our attacks.

Long at least put in a decent shift and is incredible in the air...no slower than mane and about 3 stone heavier / stronger.... Would much prefer to see him in the team at this stage.

We were really poor today, Tadic had a shocker, even Mane was better than him today. He created nothing and missed a penalty, he shouldn't be taking pens, his one against Arsenal was a fluke.

Davis played well, Hesketh did for the time he was on, Pelle played well. The problem is from wide areas at the moment we're so poor. I think we need to take Mane/Tadic out of the next game, they're tired.

Hesketh isn't even our best academy product and he played better than Mane, I'd like Long up front with Pelle or Seager. But even he's **** at the moment

Players who are playing poorly at the moment, Fonte/Foster/Long/Victor/Pelle/Mane/Tadic/

Can't fault Bertrand or Clyne, they're doing well, Toby had a bad game today. JWP looked okay when he came on, obviously rusty.

Meh, one of those games where our lack of end product is really starting to show. We play far too much pretty football with little end result, Burnley were the opposite they were direct and it worked against us. Koeman needs to have a different approach for Tuesday.

Very much disagree. Forster made some good saves and was unlucky. Fonte played well and so did Wanyama, both were in fact unlucky not to score.

Correctly predicted a 1-0 defeat, just gutted I didn't have money on it. Koeman got it totally wrong with his team selection today. Mane is far more effective coming off the bench with 20 mins to go.

Don't understand why Pelle didn't take the penalty.

Off to the bookies to have money on us not finishing in the top 10.

City game aside, a familiar story - loads of possession and look comfortable, but no real cutting edge or creativity. Bertrand and Clyne, while both two of our best, don't seem to be getting in behind as often as the early days of the season. Mane looks like he's lost the dressing room, and still don't rate Forster much.

What's with this tidal wave of hindsight against Tadic's penalty? He scored one against Arsenal, he probably takes them quite well in training and yet you are all saying he should have give it to someone like Pelle or Toby who you have never seen take a penalty.

No doubt if Toby had taken it and skyed it into row Z it would be all, "why didn't Tadic take it FFS! He scored the last one!"

City game aside, a familiar story - loads of possession and look comfortable, but no real cutting edge or creativity. Bertrand and Clyne, while both two of our best, don't seem to be getting in behind as often as the early days of the season. Mane looks like he's lost the dressing room, and still don't rate Forster much.

I don't think we ever really looked totally comfortable, we never had control of the game or dominated it for any real spells. Neither side did really. It was a disjointed mess from the 1st minute to the last, and it was always going to be hard to get up any head of steam playing that way.

What's with this tidal wave of hindsight against Tadic's penalty? He scored one against Arsenal, he probably takes them quite well in training and yet you are all saying he should have give it to someone like Pelle or Toby who you have never seen take a penalty.

No doubt if Toby had taken it and skyed it into row Z it would be all, "why didn't Tadic take it FFS! He scored the last one!"

Thought it was a decent save

Real lack of attacking coherence, resulting in only four shots on target for the second game running. We attempt to hit Pelle too often for a team that rarely has anyone in position to receive the flick on (Tadic & Mane too wide, Davis or whoever is AM usually too deep). Moreover, I really do think Tadic is wasted on the right - all his good early season work came on the left, and Mane hasn't shown enough to justify upsetting the main creative force in our team to accommodate him in his preferred position.

Victor did not play well in this game, infact he kept losing the ball!

Forster was poor against Man Utd and again today he could have saved that goal. He didn't have much to do but he didn't seem steady when called upon. Long doesn't look like scoring lets be honest he works hard but apart from that what has he offered??

We have to be honest the levels today were not there, I can take losing to the big sides, but away against Burnley is a game WE must be winning if we're to be top six.

We have a good opportunity for a response now. Cup game soon which we should be able to get back to winning in. Really need an "easier" game right now (don't give me a load of spiel about it not being easier, it is, and we need it). That would set us up for a home game against a struggling (compared to their usual selves) Everton side. So its not a bad position to be in. We will be 5th when we face Everton which is good, so we can push on and try and maintain our position.

Personally, I am much more excited about the prospect of the League Cup than European qualification. I'd much rather win something than get into Europe, even if it was Champions league.

Lets get our frustration out, try not to be too reactionistic and pick ourselves up for the cup game.

We march on!