Burnley 1 Saints 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

Again.

Yeah but if you're going to lose a game, that's the way to do it. I'd much rather have the lions share of the possession and chances, then cock it up when it comes to shooting. It means we aren't far off putting in a decent performance.

Imagine playing like Man U did on Monday but without RVP. A misshapen defence a midfield giving the ball away hopelessly and the whole team being generally unable to string three passes together. That would be much more alarming.

Anybody loosing faith yet? Sad to say we look more and more like a one man team with that man sitting in the stand huddled up in a padded parka tweeting his mates.

Invidious to blame individuals for today's let down, nobody played well enough. We need players on the bench who can genuinely lift a side and inject sparkle and decisiveness when the starting XI get bogged down as they did today.

Anybody loosing faith yet? Sad to say we look more and more like a one man team with that man sitting in the stand huddled up in a padded parka tweeting his mates.

Invidious to blame individuals for today's let down, nobody played well enough. We need players on the bench who can genuinely lift a side and inject sparkle and decisiveness when the starting XI get bogged down as they did today.

Losing faith with who or what?

There's nothing to lose faith in. We're not world beaters, we will lose games, even to the likes of Burnley. There's no need for a meltdown, it's been a good season so far

This is agree with. How often do "mid-table" teams lose to relation candidates. All the time. We didn't play well today but we're never guna be amazing all season. Let's just hope we improve soon

We had players on the bench, it was two or three in the line up who let us down today. I have a lot of faith in Morgan but he's not the be-all and end-all and can no longer be counted on. His talking to the papers did much to unsettle our dream. That he and others were injured in the days that followed his big mouth comments was very sad and poured more venom onto our season. Having a full line up of international players has cost us dear. The time away on international duty can be traced back to when our beloved Saints stopped performing to the level we had enjoyed before the break.

Fellow Saints, don't think Morgan's going to turn things around, it will be the likes of Prowsey, and the true Saints who want to live the dream with Saints. Morgan's sold his Sainthood and become a mercenary. We have no need long term of mercenaries but true Saints committed to the club and what it stands for.

Forget Europa, Champions League! I don't want to see a repeat of the clubs like Hull, Everton and Newcastle and being overwhelmed by bringing in players uncommitted and overpaid.. I want to see good football, and staying in the upper reaches of the Premier League.

We had players on the bench, it was two or three in the line up who let us down today. I have a lot of faith in Morgan but he's not the be-all and end-all and can no longer be counted on. His talking to the papers did much to unsettle our dream. That he and others were injured in the days that followed his big mouth comments was very sad and poured more venom onto our season. Having a full line up of international players has cost us dear. The time away on international duty can be traced back to when our beloved Saints stopped performing to the level we had enjoyed before the break.

Fellow Saints, don't think Morgan's going to turn things around, it will be the likes of Prowsey, and the true Saints who want to live the dream with Saints. Morgan's sold his Sainthood and become a mercenary. We have no need long term of mercenaries but true Saints committed to the club and what it stands for.

Forget Europa, Champions League! I don't want to see a repeat of the clubs like Hull, Everton and Newcastle and being overwhelmed by bringing in players uncommitted and overpaid.. I want to see good football, and staying in the upper reaches of the Premier League.

Box. Of. Frogs.

Well one thing about today's game - it quickly made me forget about Monday's game.

At the moment it seems like we're looking down a chimney. You can't actually see who is going to turn on a great performance and piece of play that'll turn our dire form around. Well I can't.

I wonder how secure Koeman's job will be if this form continues into the New Year [looking at our fixtures it easily could too] after all that would be eight to ten games without a win. At the moment we're standing on five and counting......

Sheffield United was a great draw when it happened - now it just makes me very nervous.

Well one thing about today's game - it quickly made me forget about Monday's game.

At the moment it seems like we're looking down a chimney. You can't actually see who is going to turn on a great performance and piece of play that'll turn our dire form around. Well I can't.

I wonder how secure Koeman's job will be if this form continues into the New Year [looking at our fixtures it easily could too] after all that would be eight to ten games without a win. At the moment we're standing on five and counting......

Sheffield United was a great draw when it happened - now it just makes me very nervous.

there is no danger of Koeman being sacked, the danger is his frustration of the thinness of the squad.Hopefully the board back him in the transfer market. Hopefully they match his ambition, some on here may be happy with second best but I doubt Koeman will be.

I don't wish for us to pay stupid money for knee jerk signings but we are pathetically weak with options. We were promised that the money in would be spent on the squad and so it is not unreasonable to expect some players in.

For the love of god.

To even mutter the words Koeman and job security together is a disgrace.

Have a word with yourself.

Good grief.

Had a great day today, but the first 45 minutes were painful. The second half I never though and it never looked like we would lose the game, until they scored.

One thing I did not like was Tadic waving to the fans as he was spotting up. His only professional focus at that point should be on the penalty kick. Interact with the fans when you stick the ball in the net. Saying this good save. I never understand why, a striker does not take penalties (Matty aside) as they are paid the put the ball in the net! This is a free shot at goal, one on one, to improve your tally and give you confidence! (If you score).

there is no danger of Koeman being sacked, the danger is his frustration of the thinness of the squad.Hopefully the board back him in the transfer market. Hopefully they match his ambition, some on here may be happy with second best but I doubt Koeman will be.

I don't wish for us to pay stupid money for knee jerk signings but we are pathetically weak with options. We were promised that the money in would be spent on the squad and so it is not unreasonable to expect some players in.

For the love of god.

To even mutter the words Koeman and job security together is a disgrace.

Have a word with yourself.

Good grief.

All the above who replied to Mr Strovers post, take a glance at his location.

Ive said for a while we have an over reliance on Pelle. Good player but out of form and snatching at shots, a sign he is low on confidence. Its not quite clicking right now but we arent a million miles away, stats wise still dominating games. Need a win to get our heads up.

Thankfully january is close and we have players returning from injury. A top 4 finish was always highly unlikely.

Contrary to what some have said, Pelle had a good game today. Sure he missed a couple of opportunities but they were not easy.

I just don't get why Koeman lets Mane near the bench let alone a starting position. I would take ANYONE over him, he is Conference level at best. The Charlie Chaplin of the premier league.

Tadic has become invisible, that is a real disappointment.

Our problem is a paper thin squad, we need some reinforcements come January, perhaps not world beaters but two or three solid premiership level professionals would make all the difference.

We're settling down to our level now, second was fun but not sustainable with the small squad that we have.

Sh1t happens! Just a bit self inflicted of late unfortunately. It's just frustrating after the prolific start - had we had a more balanced set of results so far, then I believe most fans would be happy after the summer to be fifth at this stage - I certainly would be. It's always the hope that kills you!

Still, I believe we will ride out this horrible current form, and end up place or two better than last year, for which I would have bitten off your proverbial hand at the start of the season. A steady improvement year over year is the best way in the long term. After all, say in the extremely unlikely case of us finishing first or second this season, what happens next?? Liverpool mark 2? There is no way we have the resources to stay there on a consistent basis yet - that will take 5 to 10 years of steady improvement if at all!

It's still annoying as hell mind - several beers, and a few days later things will be grand again in the life of a Saints supporter :)

Just back indoors now, long day out as always with Burnley.

I thought we were comfortably the better team, not just in the flow of the game, but we just looked "better" throughout - but we lost 1-0 so it counts for absolute nowt.

How the f**k we lost to them I'll never know.

Clyne, Bertrand, Davis and Alderweireld good for me. Mane poor yet again, nothing new there.

I think we'll bounce back, but a big test on Tuesday, then a generally tough question where we fall in the league, fine margins with 5/6/7/8 places potentially I guess.

Contrary to what some have said, Pelle had a good game today. Sure he missed a couple of opportunities but they were not easy.

I just don't get why Koeman lets Mane near the bench let alone a starting position. I would take ANYONE over him, he is Conference level at best. The Charlie Chaplin of the premier league.

Tadic has become invisible, that is a real disappointment.

Our problem is a paper thin squad, we need some reinforcements come January, perhaps not world beaters but two or three solid premiership level professionals would make all the difference.

We're settling down to our level now, second was fun but not sustainable with the small squad that we have.

The thing is I think at least Tadic and Pelle, even when off form get involved and make things happen a bit, Mane doesn't. Edited by Sour Mash

Wheels are well and truly off now. Need a couple of wins ftom our next two home games for confidence. Need to bench Mane. Not only is he substandard on and off the ball, he is contributing to Tadic being off form playing on the right to accomodate him. Tadic shouldnt be taking penalties. His penalties remind me of watching ladies football. Put your foot through the ball man.

Wheels are well and truly off now. Need a couple of wins ftom our next two home games for confidence. Need to bench Mane. Not only is he substandard on and off the ball, he is contributing to Tadic being off form playing on the right to accomodate him. Tadic shouldnt be taking penalties. His penalties remind me of watching ladies football. Put your foot through the ball man.

You know Tadic scored his previous 13 pens right? Don't know why Koeman didn't delegate to someone else knowing this run would come to an end.

I don't think we ever really looked totally comfortable, we never had control of the game or dominated it for any real spells. Neither side did really. It was a disjointed mess from the 1st minute to the last, and it was always going to be hard to get up any head of steam playing that way.

THIS.......Agree ....it was a very sad performance.

....but I can't think of a better example for taking yet another look at Danny Ings. Without actually scoring, he single-handedly caused our defence as much trouble as anyone has this season.

(Even RVPs two goals were (excellent) opportunist efforts, but he was almost invisible for most of that game).

DI looked like a decent proposition for a striker, aside from the delected goal...... no other Burnley player looked even close to his standard.

Pelle did alright, I love his passion. He was getting nothing from the two wide forwards, and fullbacks not much better.

When they got forward they won a pen and had a decent effort skim the post.

Tadic appalling other than as a ballboy, erratic Wanyama performance. Steve Davis best player on the pitch but we miss him in the hole.

Just not good enough as other than a decent start, Burnley were pish. They got the rub of the green and 0-0 would have been a fairer reflection of two poor teams on the day.

that part I agree with.

But his temperament got he better of him (again). For someone who was already on four yellow cards, he should have appealed to the referee, and kept out of it.

The incident was so blatant time-wasting ...as to be hilarious. The player (Boyd?)...was yellow-carded and although (so badly injured :rolleyes:) managed to carry on almost totally unhindered.

Perhaps some of you ought to read what I said?

I said 'I wonder...' not 'I think..' or 'He should be...' personally I think Koeman is a great manager and we will do well to hang on to him in near future BUT with the upcoming fixtures it is feasible we could go on a eight or even ten game run without a win - how will the 'must stay in the Premiership because of the money' faction of the club think about that? That is the only statement I made.

I live in Swindon, sorry for the crime just for a history check though, so you know I am allowed to have opinions - I was born in East Dean and used to catch the 2bob Buddens Bus to the Dell every Saturday from the 70s onwards. Then we moved to Lockerely and I spent my time up to my 30s going around the usual areas Romsey, Salisbury, Southampton etc. I've been out with girls from Baddesley, Ampfield, Romsey and Southampton. I have worked all over the country but mainly in the Southampton area including the Refinery and for NG Baileys and many others.

I got married and moved to Swindon because it was the easiest thing to do for my wife. I will probably end up emigrating to Canada again for family reasons.

I apologise for postulating something you clearly don't think will ever happen and futher to this I apologise for not living in an approved area.

Enjoy yourselves - I am pleased to say that living in this unapproved area I will never meet any of you.

I said 'I wonder...' not 'I think..' or 'He should be...' personally I think Koeman is a great manager and we will do well to hang on to him in near future BUT with the upcoming fixtures it is feasible we could go on a eight or even ten game run without a win - how will the 'must stay in the Premiership because of the money' faction of the club think about that? That is the only statement I made.

I live in Swindon, sorry for the crime just for a history check though, so you know I am allowed to have opinions - I was born in East Dean and used to catch the 2bob Buddens Bus to the Dell every Saturday from the 70s onwards. Then we moved to Lockerely and I spent my time up to my 30s going around the usual areas Romsey, Salisbury, Southampton etc. I've been out with girls from Baddesley, Ampfield, Romsey and Southampton. I have worked all over the country but mainly in the Southampton area including the Refinery and for NG Baileys and many others.

I got married and moved to Swindon because it was the easiest thing to do for my wife. I will probably end up emigrating to Canada again for family reasons.

I apologise for postulating something you clearly don't think will ever happen and futher to this I apologise for not living in an approved area.

Enjoy yourselves - I am pleased to say that living in this unapproved area I will never meet any of you.

hey don't get too upset, the thought that Koeman jobs is at risk is quite off the wall. He is the reason we have done so well, as he took a decimated squad and gelled them instantly. A comment like yours was always going to get flak, so don't take it too personally

David,

It's clear you are a long time Saints supporter so you should be used to the fact that we are erratic!!

You may be surprised to learn that others live or work in said unapproved area. You are not the only one to have crossed to the dark side. Must admit though the postulation that Koeman's job may be at risk is a bit off the wall, that would require the intervention of a somewhat more ruthless board than we currently have, can't see Ralph making any decision of that type, ever. In any case if there is one thing that is good, it is Ronald, I think he may well turn out to be our best manager since Lawrie Mac, if the Board will back him with some serious investment in January and next summer to build a squad with enough depth to seriously challenge.

very true

what is worrying, £25m+ for Mane and Long.

wow

oh, would love it if liverpool got a proper pasting today

Fee's mean zilch, absolutely nothing these days. Not sure why people focus on them. Mane has talent, but is the typical eratic player that those type of players are. People cry out for ''pacy wide men'', and this is a pacy wide man. Erratic, inconsistent, frustrating, but still a potential threat. If people want more of a consistent wide man, then have a look in Barca's, Madrids and Bayerns squads - that's where those types are!

Long wasn't bought soly for goals, it was all the other aspects of his game which create movement in and around the front 3 - he brings a work rate and a nuisance with his game that will add to us. Not the most refined player, not a natural goal scorer, but still a good attacking option.

The thing is I think at least Tadic and Pelle, even when off form get involved and make things happen a bit, Mane doesn't.

agree with that.

I have no idea what is going on with Mane. But against United he was awful

not much better yesterday

I think a couple of weeks away in the AFCON will be a good thing for the club

very worrying that we have paid a LOT of money for him

hopefully, he will come good (hope)

as we have had a fair few high level signings that have flopped

Fee's mean zilch, absolutely nothing these days. Not sure why people focus on them. Mane has talent, but is the typical eratic player that those type of players are. People cry out for ''pacy wide men'', and this is a pacy wide man. Erratic, inconsistent, frustrating, but still a potential threat. If people want more of a consistent wide man, then have a look in Barca's, Madrids and Bayerns squads - that's where those types are!

Long wasn't bought soly for goals, it was all the other aspects of his game which create movement in and around the front 3 - he brings a work rate and a nuisance with his game that will add to us. Not the most refined player, not a natural goal scorer, but still a good attacking option.

sorry, that is a load of bollix

if fees (money) mean zilch, why not go in the market for Cavanni this january?

I think people cry out for a pacey wide man who is able to play premier league football

Fees mean zilch - only on a mongboard.

Of course, fees matter. Resources are finite- their size determines how much can be spent on strengthening other parts of the side. In that sense, fees are everything.

It's another mongboard myth to assume that pacy widemen have to either be inconsistent and frustrating or absolute world beaters and thus out of our price range. In the real world, there are shades of grey, gradations in between. £10m should be able to get you more than £5m just as £20m can get you more than £20m. It's not an all or nothing. And £10m, especially on a foreigner should be able to get you more than Mané's current levels of consistency.

Edited by shurlock