Sheff Utd Quarter Final Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

Got to put out a strong one for this.

--------------------FORSTER-----------------------

CLYNE---FONTE---TOBY---TARGETT

-------------------WANYAMA---------------------

--------------DAVIS------REED-------------------

JWP---------------LONG----------------MANE

Don't want to risk Morgan, he's far too important. Can't have him getting injured again. Mane will scare the sh!t out of their defence, hopefully will be a nice confidence booster for him.

We won't go down so this is important, to a degree this defines what our season will be.

Will be travelling up on my own as none of my mates could make it, so if anyone is in the same boat/fancies having a 'Billy no-mates' hanging with them let me know.

Sympathise. I am meeting a very good mate who is a massive Blades fan this time around. Previous attempts by me and others in similar situations to even get consensus on where to meet / drink have been usually met with 95% silence, hope you get some joy

Edited by Bucks Saint

We won't go down so this is important, to a degree this defines what our season will be.

Will be travelling up on my own as none of my mates could make it, so if anyone is in the same boat/fancies having a 'Billy no-mates' hanging with them let me know.

I am BILLY and I am travelling up on my own mate! I'm staying in the Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre St Mary's Gate - that must be an good omen! Leaving about 1PM hoping to be there for about 5PM. Get in touch if you want to meet up for a pre-match beer? Cheers

I am BILLY and I am travelling up on my own mate! I'm staying in the Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre St Mary's Gate - that must be an good omen! Leaving about 1PM hoping to be there for about 5PM. Get in touch if you want to meet up for a pre-match beer? Cheers

Me my nipper and a few lads are staying in the premier Inn too

2 weeks ago I'd have put my mortgage on us winning up there, now I am far from sure we will. This is the sort of game in years gone by we have royally screwed up in. You would still have to fancy us but for once I am tempted to back against us just to numb the pain in case we bottle it.

We should go back to the formation that was so successful for us 4-3-3.

Foster

Clyne Toby Fonte Targett (has played all the cup games so far and I can't remember him having too many problems)

Davies Victor Morgan

Mane Long Tadic

The three in midfield should be able to own it against a lower division team, although I do get the point about risking both Morgan and Victor to suspension. If we only go with one of them Reed would be the best replacement in that role.

On the bench

Davis, Yoshida, Gadros, Reed (if not in first 11), Ward-Prowse, Isgrove, Seager or Mayuka or Hesketh

Not sure of Hesketh's fitness for this one but in two cameo appearances last week he looks very promising.

I likes Isgrove in pre season and think he would have featured more this season without the injury. With him on the bench it will give Mane something to think about and that the left wing position isn't his own.

I want to see a forward on the bench but the under 21s have a big game on Monday and Seager may well play the full game and not be ready for Tuesday.

Also I want to see more of Tadic back on the left and Mane on the right. Mane's left foot isn't good so lets see him taking on the full back with pace and putting in some decent crosses for Long. Yes I love the way we play but we do need to change things up when we aren't creating chances.

I'm staying in the same place, so that'll work well...

Edit: actually I'm Angel Street but sure it's not too far to meet up.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

I have a spare seat in a minibus plus driver leaving the Cowherds at 12 noon if you want.

£50

Reaching the final of the league cup could be enough for European football, depending on who we play in the final. I think top 10 and final or winning the league cup, or top 6.

Would love a league cup final!

Nope don't think the League Cup losers get into Europe if the winners are already there, could be wrong. Who lost last year

Sunderland was it?

Reaching the final of the league cup could be enough for European football, depending on who we play in the final.

If the winners of the League Cup qualify for Europe through another route then the League Cup's European place goes to the Premier League, not the runner up of the League Cup. Man City for example won the League Cup last season, the European place didn't go to runner up Sunderland, it went back to the Premier League table.

It is the FA Cup where the runner up gets into Europe if the winner has qualified another way, like how Saints did in 2003.

Edited by Matthew Le God

If the winners of the League Cup qualify for Europe through another route then the League Cup's European place goes to the Premier League, not the runner up of the League Cup. Man City for example won the League Cup last season, the European place didn't go to runner up Sunderland, it went back to the Premier League table.

It is the FA Cup where the runner up gets into Europe if the winner has qualified another way, like how Saints did in 2003.

yes it is MLG, it is the runner of the FA Cup who gets a European Spot.

e.g. Hull did last year (though failed to qualify for the main event), Wigan the year before that qualified for Europe and I think Stoke City as well few years back

yes it is MLG, it is the runner of the FA Cup who gets a European Spot.

e.g. Hull did last year (though failed to qualify for the main event), Wigan the year before that qualified for Europe and I think Stoke City as well few years back

"yes it is"... what?

What are you suggesting I've said that is wrong?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Southamptons woeful form continued at burnley where they were well beaten by a hard working, organised but ordinary side. They're still struggling for goals and without Pelle, the only man who knows where the goal is then I can't see that changing. United meanwhile are flying in the league and posses similar qualities to the burnley side that beat the saints so easily

Sheffield United 4 southampton 0

They haven't even sold 20,000. Shame

Spoke to my Blades mate tonight. Said they have been very, very ordinary to watch all season. Despite winning many of their games (up until the last 4 or so), they were apparently uninspiring and somewhat fortunate. League is the priority so perhaps these factors combine to explain the sub 20k

I would go for

Forster

Clyne

Fonte

Gardos

Targett

Davis

Victor

JWP

Tadic

Long

Mayuka

I would rest Tadic, 100%. The guy looks knackered. Let's give him the week to train and not play in this one - maybe an option from the bench, but he looks like he needs some recovery time.

Not even sure he'd excel in a match against a team like Sheffield Utd, probably need someone a bit sturdier.

I'd probably put Toby at right-back and Yoshida or Gardos in at centreback, give Clyne a rest.

I'd also give Mayuka a start instead of Mane and tell him that he needs to start impressing or he's gone at the end of the season.

No point in flogging a dead horse. Might as well go straight to telling him he's gone at the end of the season.

I wouldn't risk injury/suspension to Big Vic, Morgan and Toby. Also rest Bertrand, since Targettttt has played well so far as his stand in. Apart from that, the strongest team/bench as possible.

No point in flogging a dead horse. Might as well go straight to telling him he's gone at the end of the season.

I wouldn't risk injury/suspension to Big Vic, Morgan and Toby. Also rest Bertrand, since Targettttt has played well so far as his stand in. Apart from that, the strongest team/bench as possible.

Why? the league cup is winnable (and could get us into Europe) we won't get top four in the league and our form will pick up after Christmas to see as safely upper mid table so there is no reason not to go all out for the cup ....screw the league.

Why? the league cup is winnable (and could get us into Europe) we won't get top four in the league and our form will pick up after Christmas to see as safely upper mid table so there is no reason not to go all out for the cup ....screw the league.

This.

# Hypothetical question klaxon #

If our opening 16 fixtures and results had been reversed (i.e. 1 point from the first 5 games but now closing in on 4th place) would people be still be dismissing our chances of qualifying for Europe via League position as much as some are doing now?

I'm as inclined as most to put out our strongest team for the cup game, but I'm still bullish about our chances of finishing top 6 in the league.

Edited by trousers

# Hypothetical question klaxon #

If our opening 16 fixtures and results had been reversed (i.e. 1 point from the first 5 games but now closing in on 4th place) would people be still be dismissing our chances of qualifying for Europe via League position as much as some are doing now?

I'm as inclined as most to put out our strongest team for the cup game, but I'm still bullish about our chances of finishing top 6 in the league.

I thought similar over the weekend. The difference is momentum. In your hypothetical situation we'd be winning. Nonetheless performances are still generally good and we remain in a strong position. A win tomorrow night, any win, and with players returning for Everton, which is winnable fixture, things could look very different by this Saturday evening.

There was somebody on the other thread with the username 'tunit' that was interested in swapping 3 upper tier tickets for my lower tier ones. Reading this thread by any chance? Can't send a private message as you're only a registered user.

amplifiedant (at) gmail (dot) com

Praying that we put everything into this match...

Bertrand will be getting a rest against Chelsea over Xmas and his form in the past 4 matches has been sketchy at best, I'd give him the chance to get it out of his system. Don't think Schneiderlin will be risked, and you'd hope (of there was still any question over Alderweireld's hamstring) that we'd be able to cope with Gardos and a midfield of Wanyama, Davis and whoever plays in the hole (I still prefer Tadic there, but as we don't have Pelle available we could change formation altogether).

We have missed Davis in more advanced positions though, makes such a difference to our creativity.

Bertrand will be getting a rest against Chelsea over Xmas and his form in the past 4 matches has been sketchy at best, I'd give him the chance to get it out of his system. Don't think Schneiderlin will be risked, and you'd hope (of there was still any question over Alderweireld's hamstring) that we'd be able to cope with Gardos and a midfield of Wanyama, Davis and whoever plays in the hole (I still prefer Tadic there, but as we don't have Pelle available we could change formation altogether).

We have missed Davis in more advanced positions though, makes such a difference to our creativity.

You think Bertrand has been "sketchy at best"? :o

This game has got upset written all over it.

Isn't that true of any game where lower league opposition are playing PL teams? If we lose and we put out our best team it will be gutting but we had a go and you can't ask for more. If we put out some team of youth players and back ups (Mayuka upfront...) and lose I will be mega ****ed.