Sheff Utd Quarter Final Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

On the train too (from Kings Cross, should beat most of you!). Dont understand the cup upset worries, barring a freak penalty / sending off or two, RK is going to put out a side which will be too strong by a margin for that to happen

Like that which beat Burnley.....Oh.

We really aren't that good anymore.

Like that which beat Burnley.....Oh.

We really aren't that good anymore.

We're a decent outfit, 4 games don't change that.

The fact is that we're not as good as everyone hoped we were......people were getting a little to carried away on the Top 4 bandwagon, and thus as we start to slip we apparently aren't that good anymore.

No, we're adjusting to pretty much where we should be. Mid-table, top 10 - push for top 6. Good side, solid management. Lots to be damn happy about, not many clubs have it as good as we have. No one would have even called a top 10 finish in July, so thank your lucky stars.

No one can be blamed for still having the old skool Saints fan mentality. Always expect to lose in the most frustrating manner possible. If/when we actually do alright - quietly get a bit excited but still front up with a wall of negativity so that when we do lose a couple of matches (which every team does!) - it isn't such a big fall. Heck, I do it myself.

However, I think tonight we need to be positive. They know there is a lot riding on this game - in terms of the number of fans making the effort, a semi final looming and the general positive impact of stopping a run of defeats. I think we'll win. May not be pretty, but I do think we'll win.

agree with S-Clarke......some just needed a dose of reality. I can immagine the pundits will be praying for an upset tonight to get the already sharpened knifes out!

Yep. Just that dose really is a sickener. It's not easy admitting that, IMO, we basically just average. We benefited from playing teams even more drab than us in the first 10 and whenever we had a real test we got beat. West Ham is the last time we played well and some of our signings have not stepped up and some now going backwards. Not confident here at all and looking at Everton yesterday we could well be on the wrong side of a spanking Saturday too. Hope I am wrong.

Yep. Just that dose really is a sickener. It's not easy admitting that, IMO, we basically just average. We benefited from playing teams even more drab than us in the first 10 and whenever we had a real test we got beat. West Ham is the last time we played well and some of our signings have not stepped up and some now going backwards. Not confident here at all and looking at Everton yesterday we could well be on the wrong side of a spanking Saturday too. Hope I am wrong.

Well I certainly hope that we don't get beaten by Everton on Saturday, 5 defeats on the trot is very poor form indeed, especially if 3 of them are at home...ah but you'll all say we beat Sheff Utd to which I'd reply..so what..not interested in the C1C because we won't win it anyway.

Edited by Window Cleaner

LOL. What a cocck.

Yep we were awful away to Arsenal in the cup and at Swansea. Newcastle and Sunderland at home not worth mentioning and anyone can beat Stoke home and away in the space of 4 days. As has been said, get a grip

Yeeeeeaaaahhhhh I got my dates wrong. My bad. I thought West Ham came after them so I will give you that one. But not sure what you feel you have to be confident about? Is it our incredible attacking prowess recently. Or maybe our midfield creativity that has all but died on it's ass. Or our great defensive unit that has become some sort of clown act. It's ok though the prolific Shane Long is up front tonight......

As Window Cleaner said we aren't going to win the thing anyway so I am more concerned with the Everton game.

Well I certainly hope that we don't get beaten by Everton on Saturday, 5 defeats on the trot is very poor form indeed, especially if 3 of them are at home...ah but you'll all say we beat Sheff Utd to which I'd reply..so what..not interested in the C1C because we won't win it anyway.

Those of us travelling up are interested and IF we get to the final I guess you'll not be bothered about travelling over for the game?

Yeeeeeaaaahhhhh I got my dates wrong. My bad. I thought West Ham came after them so I will give you that one. But not sure what you feel you have to be confident about? Is it our incredible attacking prowess recently. Or maybe our midfield creativity that has all but died on it's ass. Or our great defensive unit that has become some sort of clown act. It's ok though the prolific Shane Long is up front tonight......

As Window Cleaner said we aren't going to win the thing anyway so I am more concerned with the Everton game.

Not wanting to be unkind, but honestly mate, why do you bother? You can pick out the negatives or you can focus on the positives, the choice is yours.

main-troll.jpg

Jesus, why don't you feck off and support Chelsea. We have only been turned over by Man City during our "poor" spell. We played as well as Arsenal away and played better than Man United at home. Most people recognise we could have got 4points from those matches. Our downfall have been very specific issues/lapses which can be addressed. We are not a bad team. Burnley was the worst result of the lot - because they are a poor team. But it's not all doom and gloom and you have to ride these spells out. If you can't deal with that without having some kind of #meltdown then seriously go and follow someone who better aligns with your attitude.

Bottom line - we are in the top 8 teams in the Premier League, and comfortably. Offer me that 4-5 years ago and I'd have spunked in my pants.

What's happened to Gazza? Is he injured or on loan somewhere, Cropper seems to be our number 3 keeper now.

Gazza played for U21's last night.

So he's been demoted is that right ?

- Gazzaniga has been getting game time for the under 21's.

- Cropper goes to first team games home and away just in case Davis/Forster are injured, but doesn't get any game time.

Its therefore debatable which of the two is favoured. I'd still suggest it is Gazzaniga as he is getting matches to aid his development, Cropper isn't as he is often an unused man of a 20 man Saints match day squad and is only there in case of a rare emergancy.

- Gazzaniga has been getting game time for the under 21's.

- Cropper goes to first team games home and away just in case Davis/Forster are injured, but doesn't get any game time.

Its therefore debatable which of the two is favoured. I'd still suggest it is Gazzaniga as he is getting matches to aid his development, Cropper isn't as he is often an unused man of a 20 man Saints match day squad and is only there in case of a rare emergancy.

But last season Gazzaniga was second choice, and played a few times when Boruc was out. So he's definitely been demoted from there.

But last season Gazzaniga was second choice, and played a few times when Boruc was out. So he's definitely been demoted from there.

He now appears to be behind Davis in the pecking order. But is he behind Cropper just because Cropper is the 3rd keeper on 1st team match days? That was the point I was responding to. Cropper and Davis aren't getting any gametime (which is particularly notable for Cropper for his development), where as Gazzaniga is by playing for the under 21's.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Yes, he's behind Davis. But is he behind Cropper just because Cropper is the 3rd keeper on match days? I'm not sure, as Cropper isn't getting any gamete to aid development, where as Gazzaniga is by playing for the under 21's.

Let's face it, if you're not considered better than Davis anyway you might as well pack it in as far as being a PL keeper is concerned, just asked out of interest really.

Im hope Mane plays. Then scores.

Then the fans that have been abusive on this moderated webforum will be confused.

They are not real fans.

Come on you Saint men.

Yuki.

I will be a bit contraversial here probably but i think we bought Mane because he has the potential to be an excellent player.....yes potential, he is no where near the finished product and he frustrates the hell out of me. I think about Wanyama when he first came to notice....a beast of a player but with many rough edges, Saints saw something they could work on and he is definately a much better player now. I believe that the club hope this will be the case with Mane. Lets face it, if anyone can coach the rough edges of Manes game its Koeman.

Cheer up you miserable t*t ;)

Let's face it, if you're not considered better than Davis anyway you might as well pack it in as far as being a PL keeper is concerned, just asked out of interest really.

What is better for the development of a young keeper...?

a) sitting on the bench every first team league and cup game, like Kelvin Davis has this season.

b) sitting in the stands every first team league and cup game as the 20th man of the match day squad, like Coddy Cropper.

c) getting gametime for the under 21's, like Paulo Gazzaniga has been.

I wouldn't be sure enough to say Gazzaniga playing for the under 21's means he is behind Davis and Cropper, it is beneficial for him to be playing games, which is not something Cropper and Davis are getting. If Forster gets injured/suspended perhaps Koeman would prefer a keeper who has been getting gametime to play and Gazzaniga might be used.

Edited by Matthew Le God

What is better for the development of a young keeper...?

a) sitting on the bench every first team league and cup game, like Kelvin Davis has this season.

b) sitting in the stands every first team league and cup game as the 20th man of the match day squad, like Coddy Cropper.

c) getting gametime for the under 21's, like Paulo Gazzaniga has been.

I wouldn't be sure enough to say Gazzaniga playing for the under 21's means he is behind Davis and Cropper, it is beneficial for him to be playing games, which is not something Cropper and Davis are getting.

Send them out on loan rather than play uncompetitive, Mickey Mouse reserve games. Like Stoke have done with Butland.

Send them out on loan rather than play uncompetitive, Mickey Mouse reserve games. Like Stoke have done with Butland.

The real solution to a problem that should not even exist, KD should have been put out to pasture, the two others loaned out to await the expiry of contracts and a decent back up to Forster signed.

He now appears to be behind Davis in the pecking order. But is he behind Cropper just because Cropper is the 3rd keeper on 1st team match days? That was the point I was responding to. Cropper and Davis aren't getting any gametime (which is particularly notable for Cropper for his development), where as Gazzaniga is by playing for the under 21's.

I understood your response. But he's been demoted irrespective of his relationship to Cropper, he's behind one more goalkeeper than he was this time last year when they're all fit (ignoring Boruc as Koeman is too).