West Ham, false position or well earned?

Mr X

Big Sam seems to have got them playing some good stuff for once!

do you feel they are in a false position because they've had an easier run recently

or do you feel the table doesn't lie?

Can you see them genuinely being a top six team come the end of the season? why are they doing so well?

do you feel they are in a false position because they've had an easier run recently

Can you see them genuinely being a top six team come the end of the season? why are they doing so well?

At a guess because they already had a decent defence, they signed Song and a couple of Franco-Africans who actually score goals. Top 6 who knows, depends if injuries hit them. Oh and Big Sam treated the C1C with the disdain it deserves as per usual.

Edited by Window Cleaner

At a guess because they already had a decent defence, they signed Song and a couple of Franco-Africans who actually score goals. Top 6 who knows, depends if injuries hit them. Oh and Big Sam treated the C1C with the disdain it deserves as per usual.

would you say they have a better strike force than us as it currently stands?

They're kind of similar to us, on a favourable run fixture wise and they got a good set of results on said run.

Once the trickier fixtures come, they will begin to come unstuck as we were. They seem a top 10 team, as are Swansea, ourselves, Newcastle, Everton, Liverpool ( lol ).

the 5th and 6th finishers will come from 2 of that lot. Now depending on how the league cup and FA Cup go, 7th may also be up for grabs in terms of Europe...

would you say they have a better strike force than us as it currently stands?

absolutely; then again I'm thinking that Pelle is a bit of a flash in the pan artist. Blows hot and cold, scores some real winners, misses just as many tap ins. Not a real fan just now, looking forward to him getting back to form.

Difference is they didn't really lose anyone of note in the summer and brought in some decent players to boot. We on the other hand had to replace what we lost (which I think we did a decent job off) when ideally we need to strengthen what we already had. In effect we haven't really improved (though we haven't got any worse either IMO) where as Wham are , I think, stronger than they where last season. Throw in some of last season top seven teams becoming a bit sh it and Wham are probably about where they should be.

absolutely; then again I'm thinking that Pelle is a bit of a flash in the pan artist. Blows hot and cold, scores some real winners, misses just as many tap ins. Not a real fan just now, looking forward to him getting back to form.

Any ides who we could try to get in in January to support Pelle assuming there's a chance j rod might not find form?

Difference is they didn't really lose anyone of note in the summer and brought in some decent players to boot. We on the other hand had to replace what we lost (which I think we did a decent job off) when ideally we need to strengthen what we already had. In effect we haven't really improved (though we haven't got any worse either IMO) where as Wham are , I think, stronger than they where last season. Throw in some of last season top seven teams becoming a bit sh it and Wham are probably about where they should be.

They sold Diamé to Hull and replaced him with Song, that was a bold move, Diamé had done well for them really. Valencia was a good signing as well, especially when you compare him to say, Mané.

They sold Diamé to Hull and replaced him with Song, that was a bold move, Diamé had done well for them really. Valencia was a good signing as well, especially when you compare him to say, Mané.

Song is a class player just supposedly has a bad attitude, and probably on wages we cannot afford.

Valencia and Sakho are good signings, supposedly Sakho and Mane are good friends, looks like we got the wrong one!

Song is a class player just supposedly has a bad attitude, and probably on wages we cannot afford.

Valencia and Sakho are good signings, supposedly Sakho and Mane are good friends, looks like we got the wrong one!

Why can't we afford players like Song then? We can waste 22 million on Mané and Long but we can't afford Song.. makes no sense really. We don't need Song but I don't see why the wage of any decent player should be within the possibilities of West Ham and not us.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Why can't we afford players like Song then? We can waste 22 million on Mané and Long but we can't afford Song.. makes no sense really. We don't need song but I don't see why the wge of any decent player should be within the possibilities of West Ham and not us.

don't see long as a waste he does offer us something different and definitely scares defenders when he comes on and hopefully Mane comes good he just needs to improve his decision making and positioning mainly, how much did west ham pay for song??

don't see long as a waste he does offer us something different and definitely scares defenders when he comes on and hopefully Mane comes good he just needs to improve his decision making and positioning mainly, how much did west ham pay for song??

I think he's on loan but they're paying his £120k week wages. Can't imagine us spending that on wages - we seem to spend more on transfer fees but try and keep players on relatively small wages. Isn't our highest paid player on about £40k now after Gaston and Osvaldo left?

I think he's on loan but they're paying his £120k week wages. Can't imagine us spending that on wages - we seem to spend more on transfer fees but try and keep players on relatively small wages. Isn't our highest paid player on about £40k now after Gaston and Osvaldo left?

Who knows, I don't take much notice of figures bandied about in the press, most "quoted" foootballer salaries are vastly hyped.However I bet we're paying Toby a packet. I've seen 5 million € a year but who knows whether that's anywhere near accurate, doubt if he's on 40K£ a week though.

Not in a false position at all for me. They've played well after the first few games of the season and beaten some decent teams along the way (like City and to an extent Liverpool, both of whom we failed to beat).

They also have a lot of different options going forward, which is huge in the Prem, you've got to have different goal threats. Sakho and Valencia are pacy and decent finishers. Carroll, despite what many people think, when fully fit, is a real handful however you look at it.

Not in a false position at all for me. They've played well after the first few games of the season and beaten some decent teams along the way (like City and to an extent Liverpool, both of whom we failed to beat).

They also have a lot of different options going forward, which is huge in the Prem, you've got to have different goal threats. Sakho and Valencia are pacy and decent finishers. Carroll, despite what many people think, when fully fit, is a real handful however you look at it.

And the much maligned Downing actually plays pretty well in every game. We'll see what happens when they get key injuries though.

And the much maligned Downing actually plays pretty well in every game. We'll see what happens when they get key injuries though.

The have had a few injuries already although not that long term ones. Sakho and Valencia were out for a few games but back now, and Carroll and I think Nolan were both out earlier on. I think they have probably got the edge on us this season because they have better options in the attacking 4 positions and are able to withstand a few injuries/out of form players and still put out a side capable of scoring a few.

I think the last few games has shown us that we don't have good enough options in forward positions and have little option but to keep playing Pelle/Tadic/Mane and hope that they come back into form. With Jay Rod not seeming close to a return, reinforcements are needed in January if we are to stand a realistic chance of top 6 IMO.

They've played some good stuff this season, have beaten the top sides and have good attacking options. Would expect them to finish around 10 points above us, they have a chance to finish top 6

Top 6 isn't good enough. Someone needs to get into top 4 as otherwise football in this country will surely die a death (not that it won't anyway).

I think out of ourselves, Newcastle and West Ham, the Hammers have the best chance of getting top 4. I think they're strong all over and with Sakho, Valencia and Caroll they have three good strikers who can all score goals in different ways. We will fall down the table because we have become predictable and have very few options. Good luck to them too - as others have said, it would be great to see someone, anyone break into the top spots.

Top 6 isn't good enough. Someone needs to get into top 4 as otherwise football in this country will surely die a death (not that it won't anyway).

Think they will fall just short. Swansea would be contenders but their away form isn't good enough. The sad truth is that the top 6 will probably be the same as last season. Everton are starting to catch up and should beat us on Saturday.We all like to laugh at their expense, but Spurs and Liverpool will be clear of us in the table by the turn of the year. But then again, with their resources they should be.

'False position', a 'favourable rub of fixtures' - some beauts by the divs on here.

As much as I dislike West Ham -leopards don't change their spots as they continue to play ugly, utilitarian football, the table doesn't lie. We are now virtually halfway through the season and every team has played each other once. Whether they can sustain their position is another matter and will depend on injuries, AFCON and their spending in the window which is also true for all smaller teams.

Edited by shurlock

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=156169&sid=491492ad927c7ca86314996aa4432bef

hello :poundit:

as someone else said, Either Saints, West Ham or Newcastle to break the top 4...jesus, one of us can do it, surely????

Swansea just wont and the others are not good enough.

all 3 of us will probably fall short, but come on!!! One of the best of the not so cool clubs can do it this season???

As much as it irks me, they're playing well this season - far more variety, mixing up BFS' industrial side with Sheringham's attacking guile. That plus some very positive signings.

I couldn't stand them in our shared promotion season for a number of grudges;

1) Kevin Nolan's persistent keeper bumming,

2) The blindness to Sharp being fouled (it happened, no matter how much he reacted; get over it)

3) Their denial that they were playing Route 1

4) The Sheffield United / Tevez incident.

5) BFS is a tool.

2, 3 and 4 will fade into the past but 1 and 5 will be ever thus. However, I can't deny they're playing well and deserve to be up there.

As someone says on their forum there are tools on every forum - certainly on theirs as there are some that are praising Turkish's level headed insight!! WTF!

As much as it irks me, they're playing well this season - far more variety, mixing up BFS' industrial side with Sheringham's attacking guile. That plus some very positive signings.

I couldn't stand them in our shared promotion season for a number of grudges;

1) Kevin Nolan's persistent keeper bumming,

2) The blindness to Sharp being fouled (it happened, no matter how much he reacted; get over it)

3) Their denial that they were playing Route 1

4) The Sheffield United / Tevez incident.

5) BFS is a tool.

2, 3 and 4 will fade into the past but 1 and 5 will be ever thus. However, I can't deny they're playing well and deserve to be up there.

As someone says on their forum there are tools on every forum - certainly on theirs as there are some that are praising Turkish's level headed insight!! WTF!

You forgot the riverboat promotion outing arranged in about September of the previous year.

What is a false position? They are in the position that the number of points they have relative to everyone else entitles them to be so, to answer your question - well earned. Whether they stay there is anyone's guess but they have a fair shout.

They're not in a false position, they've actually played a few of the top sides - us a month ago, that was a "false position", you're always going to look better playing the worse teams (unless you're very good, very bad or very weird).

What is a false position? They are in the position that the number of points they have relative to everyone else entitles them to be so, to answer your question - well earned. Whether they stay there is anyone's guess but they have a fair shout.

A false position is a position which is better or worse than you'd have if you played an even spread of teams from across the whole division. The easiest way to work it out retrospectively is to fit individual results against the final league table to see where teams over or underperformed compared to the result you'd expect them to get.

A false position is a position which is better or worse than you'd have if you played an even spread of teams from across the whole division. The easiest way to work it out retrospectively is to fit individual results against the final league table to see where teams over or underperformed compared to the result you'd expect them to get.

But as we're approaching the half way stage we'll soon have an all things being equal apart from home/away calendars so we may have a good idea where everyone stands. That said weren't stats being bandied abou a few weeks back that no team in second position after N games bar one had failed to qualify for the CL etc etc etc?. Our recent results are poor, theirs are better.

But as we're approaching the half way stage we'll soon have an all things being equal apart from home/away calendars so we may have a good idea where everyone stands. That said weren't stats being bandied abou a few weeks back that no team in second position after N games bar one had failed to qualify for the CL etc etc etc?. Our recent results are poor, theirs are better.

Half way means nothing. The schedules aren't mirrored, the opponents are not even equally split across the two halves of the 18 fixtures. We don't play Chelsea in the first half of the season and play them twice in the second half. Lucky for Saints, who can hard sell the half-season ticket on all the category A home games we have left (though one of them is Villa!).

Equally, previous performance is no guarantee of future success.

Half way means nothing. The schedules aren't mirrored, the opponents are not even equally split across the two halves of the 18 fixtures. We don't play Chelsea in the first half of the season and play them twice in the second half. Lucky for Saints, who can hard sell the half-season ticket on all the category A home games we have left (though one of them is Villa!).

Equally, previous performance is no guarantee of future success.

Not so, Chelsea are the 19th fixture of the first half, Everton,Palace,Chelsea, our next 3 games complete the "out" fixtures.

We'll have played everybody once as will all of the other teams I expect, it's the way it works now..out and back, 2 halves of a season.

Edited by Window Cleaner