Saints vs Everton build-up

trousers

cannot see anything other than a saints loss

They (like most of the top sides) have started to find a bit of form and they have a pretty impressive squad.

They are also very strong in midfield. Most of ours is not available

Barkley will take some stopping also and Naismith is a very good player

Pelle will be fresh, which is good But I fear he will play right into the hands of Jageilka and Distin

Hopefully tadic is back and davis too....Toby is bound to start in midfield and JWP will probably join him

Clyne and Bertrand will need to be good as coleman and baines looked very good against QPR (as did barkley and naismith)

oh boy

Best case scenario....?

Forster

Clyne - Fonte - Yoshida - Bertrand

Alderweireld - Davis - JWP

Tadic - Pelle - Long

Subs: K Davis, Targett, Reed, Isgrove, Mane, Mayuka, Seager

and thats the best case scenario.

so, no cork, morgan, wanyama. brilliant. and a painfully thin bench.

looks like its back to normal as a saints fan.

prediction: 0-3 Everton

I suppose we can dig. Try and hit them on the break and get 3 points. Points are far more important than performance. We need to show a bit of grit and play like a team fighting for their premier future instead of dreaming of a top 6 position.

You go on like relegation like a whore selling £5 blow jobs.

We've lost more games than Newcastle who everyone was laughing at at the start of the season and who have beaten City, Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool.

We are on a bad run now, and as an optimist, I am lost for words after tonight. Really really ****3d off after that. Got tickets to the Everton game with some friends as I'm back home for Christmas. I hope we're in for a real come back game. This is a must win now, based on the games we have coming up.

Come on Koeman, I really like ya pal, but you've got to buck it up. Last time we had four league losses in a row was 08/09 Championship... last time we had 5 was the start of the 98/99 season.

The starting 11 is still enough to win this Everton game, I don't think Koeman is going to take this lightly and the boys will be fired up to return to form at home after all this b.s.

We need to get behind the team at the weekend, lets do this, COYR, the rot stops here!

This would be amazing. Would shut everyone up haha. Maybe 4-0, brace each for Long and Mane, each setting the other up for the goals.

Sod it, 6-0. Long and Mane hat-tricks, Forster with 5 one on one saves.

I'd say a goal for Mayuka as well, but then that is being silly.

No idea. Was surprised to hear that he wasn't fit for last night. We miss him badly as the player who can be effective in moving the ball forwards.

Koeman said he wasn't fit for last night and he doesn't appear in any of the training galleries, depends what's wrong with him really, could be something quite minor or a recurrence of the injury he had a while back.

It is possible to get at their back four , but I'm not sure we have the players to do so. The full backs push high up the pitch and leave space in the channel . You'll get a lot of joy if you can move the centre halfs into wide positions, Barry is the cover , but he's not really quick enough. The problem we have is Pelle doesnt work the channels and run in behind, so Jags and The Skate will love playing up against him. Long has the movement, but Pelle is a better player. If we play the pace of long or Mane wide, they'll end up chasing their full backs back towards their own goal. Tadic isn't quick enough and because of that Barry will be able to get into defensive positions and cover.

I have the awful feeling that we'll play right into their hands , Barry getting around Pelle , so he can't bring it down and the centre halfs winning stuff in the air. We won't be able to break quickly enough to use the space behind the full back and our wide men will spend most of the time in our own half . If we go 4-4-2 we could use long to shift the centre halfs wide, but Coleman and Baines will get 2 on 1's as our wide men will have to tuck in otherwise their 3 in centre mid will pass us to death.

I really think they're the worst team we could be facing with all these players missing as we need to have the control of the ball that Morgan and Victor give us. We'll fall between 2 stools , unable to control possession but equally unable to hit them on the break.

Unless somebody does something special or they make a mistake. I can't see us scoring. I hope I'm wrong ,but this could be a frustrating afternoon. At the risk of sound like Dinosaur Dave Merrington , we really need to make this a battle and see if they fancy it.

It is possible to get at their back four , but I'm not sure we have the players to do so. The full backs push high up the pitch and leave space in the channel . You'll get a lot of joy if you can move the centre halfs into wide positions, Barry is the cover , but he's not really quick enough. The problem we have is Pelle doesnt work the channels and run in behind, so Jags and The Skate will love playing up against him. Long has the movement, but Pelle is a better player. If we play the pace of long or Mane wide, they'll end up chasing their full backs back towards their own goal. Tadic isn't quick enough and because of that Barry will be able to get into defensive positions and cover.

I have the awful feeling that we'll play right into their hands , Barry getting around Pelle , so he can't bring it down and the centre halfs winning stuff in the air. We won't be able to break quickly enough to use the space behind the full back and our wide men will spend most of the time in our own half . If we go 4-4-2 we could use long to shift the centre halfs wide, but Coleman and Baines will get 2 on 1's as our wide men will have to tuck in otherwise their 3 in centre mid will pass us to death.

I really think they're the worst team we could be facing with all these players missing as we need to have the control of the ball that Morgan and Victor give us. We'll fall between 2 stools , unable to control possession but equally unable to hit them on the break.

Unless somebody does something special or they make a mistake. I can't see us scoring. I hope I'm wrong ,but this could be a frustrating afternoon. At the risk of sound like Dinosaur Dave Merrington , we really need to make this a battle and see if they fancy it.

In fact has Morgan ever played against Everton, this is out 5th meeting since we got back up and I'm sure he's missed most of them from injury or suspension, might have played the home game just after Mauricio took over perhaps.

The last part of the post says it really. Do we 'park the bus' and try and hit them on the break ? Do we try and break up the flow of the game using all the known tactics ? Are the points more important than the product ? Koeman has a lot to decide.

Personally I would take the points right now, however ugly the game.

My team:

------------------------------------------FF-----------------------------------------

Clyne-----------------Font--------------------Yoshi-------------------------Targett

--------------------------------------Toby------------------------------------------

---------------JWP--------------------------------Davis (Reed)--------------------

----------------------------------Tadic (nipper)---------------------------

-----------------------------Long---------------Pelle-------------------------------

Haven't bothered doing a bench becuase I don't know if Tadic, Davis, Hesketh etc are fit.

Whilst it would be nice to go back to the Toby/Fonte partnership, we just can't afford to leave Toby out of midfield with Cork, Morgan and Vic absent. I don't think Yoshi has let anyone down this season.

I pick Targett over Bertrand because Bertrand can't play on the 28th v Chelsea and I would like Targett to get some more game time before he is thrown into the two Chelsea matches. I have also noticed Bertrand being a bit slower to close down lately. Maybe a bit of a rest would do him good. Based on what I've seen of Targett, he should do ok.

I actually think Mane was our best attacking player against Sheff U. His movement caused them some problems, he played some intelligent passes and he nearly scored. I think that's more than you can say for anyone else. Nevertheless, our forward set up isn't working at the moment, and Mane is a liability defensively. Because we're looking a bit blunt I would get Long in a more traditional role nearer Pelle. Should suit him better and mixes it up a bit. Playing a midfield diamond would also, hopefully, allow us to get Tadic on the ball in more dangerous areas.

I would like to see some different faces on the bench. I think McQueen, Rowe, Sims, Seager are at least as good as Isgrove and Mayuka so let's give them a chance. If Tadic is unavailable I'd be tempted to throw a surprise in at the top of the diamond. Sadly, I don't think Isgrove will ever be a Premier League player. I don't think Mayuka is as bad as people like to make out but he's not a winger and he's not good enough to play on his own up front so I think when we play our typical system he is never going to get a chance to develop.

I'm assuming Hesketh is injured?

This is the game we simply have to get something from, otherwise it could conceivably be 9 losses on the bounce. We only need 14 points to avoid relegation - I'm with Dalek, that's the priority now. I'm still traumatised from 1973/74 when we were 5th at Christmas and got relegated! Time to change tactics and grind out a result.

Koeman said he wasn't fit for last night and he doesn't appear in any of the training galleries, depends what's wrong with him really, could be something quite minor or a recurrence of the injury he had a while back.

Took a knock on the knee. Possibly available for Saturday, lets hope so, we are ****ged if not.

Our only hope is Tadic and Pelle are rested enough to get really stuck in; 2 goals in the last 6 matches are our real problem right now, and holding the ball up front. I am going to put a bet on us losing the next 4 league games anyway, at least get some recompense.

This is the game we simply have to get something from, otherwise it could conceivably be 9 losses on the bounce. We only need 14 points to avoid relegation - I'm with Dalek, that's the priority now. I'm still traumatised from 1973/74 when we were 5th at Christmas and got relegated! Time to change tactics and grind out a result.

Complacency is the greatest danger. Although we are high up in the league 5 or 6 more defeats could see us uncomfortably close to the trap door. A win, any win will help to restore a bit of confidence.

We do have options.

1. Play Yoshida and put Toby in midfield or play the best back four.

2. JWP the one cert in midfield. Plus Davis if fit: if he isn't practically has to be Toby. If we play 4 3 3 the third would probably have to be Reed, which doesn't seem to be on RK's agenda, or Tadic playing deeper. So more likely 4 2 3 1.

3. Pelle obviously up front, plus Long and Mane /Isgrove in a 4 3 3, or the same choice plus Tadic in the 3 of a 4 2 3 1.

Bench non-existent. Suggest we pray Davis recovers.

And please try Seager on the bench instead of Mayuka.

If Davis is out reed has to start. Personally I'd start him anyway leaving Toby to play at centre back.

If Davis is out it will be Yoshi at the back and Toby in the middle with JWP. It may well be that anyway with Davis further forward with (hopefully) Long and Tadic.

Reed wont be starting.

We've got to keep Toby at the back IMO.

Forster

Clyne Fonte Toby Bertrand

JWP Reed Davis

Tadic Pelle Long

Subs: Davis, Yoshi, Targett, Isgrove, Seager, Mane, Mayuka.

F*ck me, I really wouldn't want to be forced into making a substitution with that lot available.

Can't remember the last time I was so pessimistic before a game. Everton have the hex over us more than any team I can remember (aware we won at home last season).

As for Mane. He has been crp but fear for his confidence as can picture the groaning from many whenever he fcks up. Needs his confidence rebuilding.

Is Harry Reed any good or not? Is Matt Target really the new Luke Shaw? What does Ron see in Isgrove? Pertinent questions right now. I f sthey really are our future why aren't they starting regularly 'cos things are dire right now and likely to get worse before they get better.

Taking Toby out of the back four is madness as ti weakens the one reliable part of our team and let's face it he doesn't have the discipline to play the midfield holding role. He wanders all over the place when pushed into midfield. If it was my pick I'd go for Yosh forward of Fonte/Toby in a five man back line 'cos the priority must be to get a clean sheet at any cost. 0-0 will be a point and a damn good results after our recent maulings. If we can get four 0-0's in the next four games I'd be more than happy. It's not only the team who've taken a hit to their confidence so have most of we fans. Hard to see where the next goal is coming from let alone the next win.

Everton have looked very strong in midfield last time I've seen them so would be tempted to play Alderweireld there to break up attacks. Barclay will dominate and I like the look of Naismith and his runs into the box.

The game looks on course to be a sell out with only a few tickets left mostly in block 43 which was returned by Everton (they've sold out the rest of their allocation though) so on course for another 31,500 crowd

just got to hope Pelle and Tadic can find a bit of form again