The Missing

sadoldgit

Worked the night shift last night but just watched it on virgin + . I would say they've hedged their bets and could easily run a second series. The only evidence he's dead is Alain said he was and he was told by Georges that he had seen the body .But there was no body found. It is a bit of a stretch , but I can see a story line where the Romanian sold him on. The Russian part opens that up as well. I guess the hard part is getting a believable piece of evidence that makes Tony start searching again, like seeing the scarf in the picture at the start.

They seem to have left it open so we are not sure if the kid in Russia is his or not. Thing is, how on earth did he find the kid in Russia? Most of the leads were dead. Without Georges difficult to see how Tony could have tracked down the Romanian guy. Good series though.

I thought it was a superb piece of drama - best I've seen for a while.

I'm really looking forward to the next in the series albeit with different characters / story line.

I thought he had found his son, living in Romania / Russia? Did I misunderstand?

Agree, best drama on TV for god knows how long, if not ever.

Did you misunderstand? Yes and No. IMO this was so cleverly written that how one interpret the ending says as much about the viewer as it does the characters . For me it was the contrast between Emily accepting Ollie's death, although still feeling that he is always with her, whilst picturing him as he was when she last saw him. Tony, without seeing a body, can not accept he is gone, and is searching the world for every potential sighting, in his mind he's looking for a child that matches the how-he'd-look-now e-fit shown on the front page of the newspaper. For me the Russian wasn't Ollie, he was old enough when he died/disappeared to speak fluent English and remember his Dad (although maybe not with the Roy Keane beard). The Russian just represented the forlorn hopes of a desperate man who can't achieve closure. But then I could be wrong. Great series.

Good take Wurzel. I feel a bit short changed when writers have various different endings in mind but I guess that is TV for you. If it had been a book adaptation there would have been one ending and that was it. Still can't get over all the time I invested in The Sopranos only to get the black screen at the end....argh!!!!!!

Agree, best drama on TV for god knows how long, if not ever.

Did you misunderstand? Yes and No. IMO this was so cleverly written that how one interpret the ending says as much about the viewer as it does the characters . For me it was the contrast between Emily accepting Ollie's death, although still feeling that he is always with her, whilst picturing him as he was when she last saw him. Tony, without seeing a body, can not accept he is gone, and is searching the world for every potential sighting, in his mind he's looking for a child that matches the how-he'd-look-now e-fit shown on the front page of the newspaper. For me the Russian wasn't Ollie, he was old enough when he died/disappeared to speak fluent English and remember his Dad (although maybe not with the Roy Keane beard). The Russian just represented the forlorn hopes of a desperate man who can't achieve closure. But then I could be wrong. Great series.

Didn’t watch it myself – I missed out by the seems of it – but that is exactly how Mrs Stickman interpreted it.

Good take Wurzel. I feel a bit short changed when writers have various different endings in mind but I guess that is TV for you. If it had been a book adaptation there would have been one ending and that was it. Still can't get over all the time I invested in The Sopranos only to get the black screen at the end....argh!!!!!!

There are books with several endings, most commonly known is the French Lieutenant's Woman, 3 endings.

I thought it was a superb piece of drama - best I've seen for a while.

I'm really looking forward to the next in the series albeit with different characters / story line.

I thought he had found his son, living in Romania / Russia? Did I misunderstand?

Right up to the end I was sure they were going to find out that Georges had lied to Alain and the Romanians had sold him on from the house and not killed him. I thought the Russian bit would have tied into this and the next series wouilkd have joined the dots , and his search via Romania and Russia. It was only when the Russian said to the little boy that " he's done this to children in x,y, and z "that I thought perhaps he'd lost his mind. The Telegraph reviewer stated that Tony himself had etched the figure in the icy window and that it was portraying his refusal to accept the truth. The whole thing had turned him crazy.

It was a great piece of drama as it left me still thinking about the conclusion and what it meant hours afterwards. Im not a great fan of the BBC , but that matched any of the great american TV dramas of recent years. I thought it even better than Broadchurch and James Nesbitt was absolutely superb.

• 1 month later...
You only have to watch the second Broadchurch to see what happens when a great one off series suddenly becomes a second one because of the viewing figures. Its complete and utter garbage , and the storyline so thin its got anorexia . I really hope the Missing writers will do a better job.

They need to follow the formula from The Killing - separate stories but with some recurring characters and some excellent fairisle jumpers.

I'm supporting Joe and Lee Ashcroft in this series of Broadchurch. My missus was like 'God you're such a d!ck, they're horrible people, why would you support them'. I was like, 'Cos it's ****, and at least that would make it entertaining.' Plus I don't like the dead kids lawyer, sullen faced cow.