Champions League - Can we do it?

Saint Garrett

we must remember that ;

anyLeague position above 8th will be our best Prem. season, but if we don't qualify for CL, it can certainly be put down to the effect of the last 6 games.

Firstly, we were (periodically) without Long and Alderweireld the whole time, Schneiderlin for 3 games, Wanyama (though back) looks only a shadow of his former self.... and Bertrand (3 game suspension).

In those 6 matches....P6. W2.D1 L3. (2 defeats at home :scared:).

We know we have +/- 63% possession in games, and the fewest goals against in the whole League...but the worst stat. has to be SHOTS made.

Saints ..........99 shots ...Goals scored 2

Opposition... 45 shots ...Goals scored 4

This really has to be a confidence issue, as in the first half of the season we were amongst the highest scorers in the League, (and I can't believe that they have become suddenly become rubbish). It's easy to blame Pellé (who incidentally has hit the wordwork SIX times), but he isn't the sole offender...by along way).

With 10 games to go ...let's hope that RK and staff can find some magical formula to help them find the confidence and that goal touch again.

Huge 2 months for Man Utd - make or break. We could easily go back above them. Wouldn't be surprised to see the top 4 consisting of Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool come the end of the season - certainly would be pretty funny for Man Utd to miss out on CL football again.

We have some games I would "expect" us to win - Burnley, Villa, Hull all at home - although they'll be scrapping so will be very difficult.

Winnable games away at Sunderland, Leicester and Stoke.

That Spurs game could be massive come the end of the season, but we HAVE to do the business against the lesser teams to stand a chance of finishing above them I think.

European football here we come! (Can you tell we won last night?;))

We can qualify by finishing 8th under one of three very unlikely circumstances:

Arsenal wins the Champions League, but finishes fifth or lower in the Premier League.

Everton wins the Europa League and finishes 5th, 6th, or 7th in the Premier League.

Someone who finishes above us is excluded from Europe as a Financial Fair Play sanction--realistically only possible for Manchester City if they really, really botch their accounting.

We could also qualify for Europa if England qualifies for a place via the fair play table and we finish ahead of everyone else who hasn't already qualified for Europe on the English Fair Play table--but as of February 6 we are well down that table.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/fair-play.html

How many points do Everton need to mathematically finish 7th? 104?

What, if any, are the tangible financial benefits to playing in the Europa League?

And given the new TV deal, what would be the impact of finishing 5 places further down the league. Say in this example slipping from 6th to 11th.

There are also intangible benefits to playing in the Europa League but I'm just interested in the fiscal ones for now.

What, if any, are the tangible financial benefits to playing in the Europa League?

And given the new TV deal, what would be the impact of finishing 5 places further down the league. Say in this example slipping from 6th to 11th.

There are also intangible benefits to playing in the Europa League but I'm just interested in the fiscal ones for now.

You get a bit of dollar, but qualifying for that will never be a game changer in the sense of revenue etc. If anything it will be a decent stepping stone for the club, allow us to grow a bit more at a slower pace and expand our international brand.

You get a bit of dollar, but qualifying for that will never be a game changer in the sense of revenue etc. If anything it will be a decent stepping stone for the club, allow us to grow a bit more at a slower pace and expand our international brand.

Yeah - just taken a look and found this on the UEFA website:

Each of the 48 sides involved in the group stage can expect to receive a group stage fee of €1.3m. There will also be performance bonuses of €200,000 for every win and €100,000 for every draw in the group stage. Moreover, qualification bonuses will be allotted to the teams that progress to the round of 32. Each of the 12 group winners can anticipate earning €400,000, and the runners-up €200,000.

As for the knockout phase, teams competing in the round of 32 will collect €200,000 each, clubs in the round of 16 €350,000 each, the eight quarter-finalists €450,000 each and the four semi-finalists €1m each. The UEFA Europa League winners will pick up €5m and the runners-up €2.5m.

A side could receive, at best, €9.9m from playing in this season's competition – not counting the market pool share.

Meanwhile, every club that features in the UEFA Europa League first qualifying round will get €120,000 even if they go on to qualify for the group stage. Second qualifying round participants will gain €130,000 even if they go through to the group stage, and each club playing in the third qualifying round will receive €140,000 regardless of results.

Furthermore, all teams eliminated in the UEFA Europa League play-offs will collect €150,000 – the play-off winners will not be entitled to any solidarity payment for the play-offs but will retain payments received for the UEFA Europa League first, second and third qualifying rounds and will benefit from the competition distribution system from the group stage onwards.

Last season a 5 place drop from 6th to 11th would cost you £6m in prize money.

I suspect a half decent Europa League run would give Saints a bit of money but nowhere near enough to have a squad that could sustain our current league campaign performance and also play in Europe. No wonder many clubs hate the Europa league.

As a fan I'd love it though.

Huge 2 months for Man Utd - make or break. We could easily go back above them. Wouldn't be surprised to see the top 4 consisting of Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool come the end of the season - certainly would be pretty funny for Man Utd to miss out on CL football again.

We have some games I would "expect" us to win - Burnley, Villa, Hull all at home - although they'll be scrapping so will be very difficult.

Winnable games away at Sunderland, Leicester and Stoke.

That Spurs game could be massive come the end of the season, but we HAVE to do the business against the lesser teams to stand a chance of finishing above them I think.

European football here we come! (Can you tell we won last night?;))

In my view that makes a successful season. Now let's hope that those arrogant tossers up at Liverpool don't qualify either :)

My faith has gone, just think the dropped points against West Ham and Swansea, add that 4 and even the recent slip ups we'd be right back in it.

On last nights performance I don't expect us to get our goal scoring mojoe back all of a sudden, we will pick up points and others will drop them no doubt, there will be upsets but the form of the others has picked up too much I think and we desperately need our team to click up front.

Shame Jay Rod is not back he could be the spark that ignites the goal scoring again and pushed us onto a good run, we really need like a 8 or 9 unbeaten I reckon with at least 6 wins in there and I'm not seeing it when we can;t score a goal.

We could also qualify for Europa if England qualifies for a place via the fair play table and we finish ahead of everyone else who hasn't already qualified for Europe on the English Fair Play table--but as of February 6 we are well down that table.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/fair-play.html

We may be 7th in that table (as of Feb 6) but the gap between 1st and 7th is 4.75 points. 6 Feb includes Bertrand's red card I believe. 3 of the teams above us will likely finish above us in the League. Just hope and pray that we don't qualify this way, it means starting a qualifying campaign in July with juicy trips to the Faroes or Moldova or Wales.

• 3 weeks later...

5th still reachable - European football almost definite as long as it is top 7. 6th will be won by the team who wins when Spurs and ourselves play against each other.

Any one know the situation with qualifying rounds etc if we were to finish 5th/6th/7th? I seem to remember the Europa league starts mid July maybe if you have to qualify? Will have an impact on pre-season I would think if we finish 7th.

5th still reachable - European football almost definite as long as it is top 7. 6th will be won by the team who wins when Spurs and ourselves play against each other.

Any one know the situation with qualifying rounds etc if we were to finish 5th/6th/7th? I seem to remember the Europa league starts mid July maybe if you have to qualify? Will have an impact on pre-season I would think if we finish 7th.

Fifth is very much still on. Liverpool still have to go to Arsenal and Chelsea. We definitely need to beat Spurs though to have any chance. 5 wins might be enough. What a season that would be.

There's a possibility we go into the last match against City, with them having nothing to play for, and us needing a result to pip United for the 4th spot. If so, I wonder how much of a fight City would put up? ;)

Hmm can't see it happening but certainly would be an interesting situation. Not sure they would bend over like the skates though.

There's a possibility we go into the last match against City, with them having nothing to play for, and us needing a result to pip United for the 4th spot. If so, I wonder how much of a fight City would put up? ;)

Can't see City having nothing to play for really, Chelsea are long gone but City, Utd and Arsenal will probably be scrapping it out for the other 3 places until the last afternoon. Depends on the Manchester derby I guess.

Can't see City having nothing to play for really, Chelsea are long gone but City, Utd and Arsenal will probably be scrapping it out for the other 3 places until the last afternoon. Depends on the Manchester derby I guess.

Is it just the top 3 that qualify automatically for the group stages? If so then the teams will be battling to avoid the 4th place (by finishing higher obviously)

Depending on the FA Cup, 5th place could take us automatically to the Europa League group stage, which would be much better I believe.

If Liverpool or Arsenal win the FA Cup, 5th and 6th go into the EL group stages, 7th to the 3rd round of qualifying (you have to win 2 two legged ties to get to the group stages)

If Villa, Blackburn or Reading win, they and the 5th place get EL group stages, and the 6th placed team get 3rd round qualifying.

As previously discussed on another thread you have to win the FA to get this, not just finish runner up, which is what we benefited from in 2003