Goalkeeper Situation

Saint Charlie

It could be argued that, whilst we have injuries in other areas, the GK position is perhaps the most worrying, because it only takes one injury to cause a major problem, whereas other areas of the pitch require a build up.

By my reckoning this season, the below teams at least have experienced a GK injury that has meant someone other than the number one playing matches so the idea that keepers are unliekly to get injured is flawed. Any team will do well to have one goalkeeper play 38 league games and also another handful in the cups:

Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Hull, Leicester, Newcastle, Swansea

So, our current no 2 is Kelvin Davis (great club servant). I think his last competitive start was on Feb 15th 2014 in the fiasco Sunderland FA game. He may have come on as a sub later in the season.

Fair to say he wasn’t fantastic in the PL for us, and that was when he was younger and playing every week. He is 38 now. Only time I have seen him this season was in the Brighton pre season game where he came on as a sub and cocked up gifting them a goal. He doesn't play U21s games, nor Cup games so how could an ageing player suddenly, after a year out, be up to the level required in the PL?

Neither Gazzaniga (who has got worse in his time here) nor Cropper seem particularly competent. Newcastle recently had Jak Alnwick their 3rd keeper play 4 or 5 games in a row. Imagine if that happened to us :scared:

1. Does the situation bother you?

2. Considering our current status of the possibility of great things this season, should we should bring in a better keeper as cover until the end of the season, or do we basically just hope Forster plays all the matches?

3. Bearing in mind Davis doesn’t have U21 games and hasn’t played any Cups games, do you think he would definitely be the second choice as he must have no real sharpness whatsoever?

article-0-16A81ECE000005DC-321_468x302.jpg

Note: People on here often say that most teams backup keepers are rubbish, and whilst some are, there are still some fairly good ones. Rob Elliott was MOTM against us last year. Spurs have Vorm who was excellent for Swansea. Villa have Shay Given who although older now was proven PL class. Even Palace have the current Wales no 1 so he gets regular Intl football even if he is on the bench a lot at club level. Stoke have 3 decent(ish) keepers.

Also – it doesn’t really matter to Saints who the backups of other teams are and most of the ones with terrible backup aren't really competitors of ours.

Keepers do often have injury free seasons. I think Forster will be fine.

Yeah they do and hopefully he will, but just over halfway 7 teams have had GK injuries.

Should a team which may never have a better chance of CL rely on hoping he is one of the lucky ones, knowing the backup is ****e?

Of course everyone is enjoying the season, that doesn't mean there is no room for debate on a forum. Better to talk football than kits.

Gazzaniga would be my number 1 if it were up to me. For the lols.

I do think we'd struggle if we lost Forster. Even with Wanyama and Morgan out we still have strength and depth in midfield. We don't have that quality in goal. Cover yes, quality no.

Gazzaniga would be my number 1 if it were up to me. For the lols.

I do think we'd struggle if we lost Forster. Even with Wanyama and Morgan out we still have strength and depth in midfield. We don't have that quality in goal. Cover yes, quality no.

I thought I had read some opinions on here, from those that have watched several U21s (I have only seen a couple) that Gazza is improving this season?

Forster is less risky than all the others, he has had less to do than any other keeper

Not sure that is true. He still trains every day, could easily hurt a finger, knee, ankle etc or get flu and miss a game.

And its not like in every game he plays he just stands still.

Plus he has played more minutes than many other keepers who are often rested in the Cups.

He is pretty much as likely or not to get injured as most other keepers.

Of course we need cover, can't argue with that but what quality goaly is willing to sit on the bench? how do we get one? Easier said then done

Throw a bit of cash to someone for 6 months on loan? Or someone who is a no 3 keeper at a big club?

Or maybe it isn't worth it. I'm not sure. But our backup GKs are nowhere near PL class and probably amongst the weakest in the PL.

I thought I had read some opinions on here, from those that have watched several U21s (I have only seen a couple) that Gazza is improving this season?

Perhaps that's why we haven't entered the market for a keeper. Maybe the management think he'll be good enough as cover next season. I've seen him play a couple of times since we've been back in the Prem and he didn't look confident at all.

I still wish that we had kept Bialowski, Boruc could be recalled possibly, I know Koeman said he would not be used at the club but worst case scenario he could be recalled, I'm not a fan of Gazzaniga and hope we release him although I think Cropper would of been ahead of him if it wasn't for his injury. This is the first time I sort of worry about our goalkeepers, over the years we have always had a good amount of goalkeepers, whether back up or first team.

Personally think Kelvin is a perfectly reasonable(if not spectacular) backup in the short-term.

The question for the summer is whether Cropper/Gazzaniga is considered good enough to be Forster's understudy in the long-term or whether the club need to go out and buy.

What i've seen of Gazzaniga in the first team previously left me seriously doubting him technically.

He actually looks very good. Technically he remains an excellent young keeper. That's never been the problem with him. The big worry is that he has looked very nervous playing in the first team; this has led to him making mistakes; this makes him more nervous - downward spiral. We won't know whether he has got over this until he is called upon. We have professional coaches who work with him every working day. I am inclined to trust their judgement.

Personally think Kelvin is a perfectly reasonable(if not spectacular) backup in the short-term.

The question for the summer is whether Cropper/Gazzaniga is considered good enough to be Forster's understudy in the long-term or whether the club need to go out and buy.

What i've seen of Gazzaniga in the first team previously left me seriously doubting him technically.

He actually looks very good. Technically he remains an excellent young keeper. That's never been the problem with him. The big worry is that he has looked very nervous playing in the first team; this has led to him making mistakes; this makes him more nervous - downward spiral. We won't know whether he has got over this until he is called upon. We have professional coaches who work with him every working day. I am inclined to trust their judgement.

Only on SaintsWeb! :lol:

One thing fo' sho', in Koeman we trust.

It could be argued that, whilst we have injuries in other areas, the GK position is perhaps the most worrying, because it only takes one injury to cause a major problem, whereas other areas of the pitch require a build up.

By my reckoning this season, the below teams at least have experienced a GK injury that has meant someone other than the number one playing matches so the idea that keepers are unliekly to get injured is flawed. Any team will do well to have one goalkeeper play 38 league games and also another handful in the cups:

So, our current no 2 is Kelvin Davis (great club servant). I think his last competitive start was on Feb 15th 2014 in the fiasco Sunderland FA game. He may have come on as a sub later in the season.

Fair to say he wasn’t fantastic in the PL for us, and that was when he was younger and playing every week. He is 38 now. Only time I have seen him this season was in the Brighton pre season game where he came on as a sub and cocked up gifting them a goal. He doesn't play U21s games, nor Cup games so how could an ageing player suddenly, after a year out, be up to the level required in the PL?

Neither Gazzaniga (who has got worse in his time here) nor Cropper seem particularly competent. Newcastle recently had Jak Alnwick their 3rd keeper play 4 or 5 games in a row. Imagine if that happened to us :scared:

2. Considering our current status of the possibility of great things this season, should we should bring in a better keeper as cover until the end of the season, or do we basically just hope Forster plays all the matches?

3. Bearing in mind Davis doesn’t have U21 games and hasn’t played any Cups games, do you think he would definitely be the second choice as he must have no real sharpness whatsoever?

Note: People on here often say that most teams backup keepers are rubbish, and whilst some are, there are still some fairly good ones. Rob Elliott was MOTM against us last year. Spurs have Vorm who was excellent for Swansea. Villa have Shay Given who although older now was proven PL class. Even Palace have the current Wales no 1 so he gets regular Intl football even if he is on the bench a lot at club level. Stoke have 3 decent(ish) keepers.

Also – it doesn’t really matter to Saints who the backups of other teams are and most of the ones with terrible backup aren't really competitors of ours.

It seemed like the intention was to keep Boruc as back up but he's gone on loan and we haven't replaced him. So in simple terms you are right. Given the injuries to outfield players you'd think it would be a replacement for one or more of them that we'd sign this window, and Koeman is suggesting we don't need even to do that so I can't see a GK coming in. I agree, the GK situation is a risk that would need addressing in the summer at the latest.

I've posted on this before and it worries me a lot. Could be very expensive oversight if we don't get a good back-up in and we are forced to play Davis. That would mean a run of lost points, in my opinion. Mind you, in the meantime, we could give Fraser a few lessons in kicking. His is awful.

I did notice the other night that Biakowlski, who was G-Nigga 2009 edition or whatever, still looks like accident waiting to happen, and not the top goalkeeper he was sposed to develop into.

brilliant beard though

Of course we need cover, can't argue with that but what quality goaly is willing to sit on the bench? how do we get one? Easier said then done
i think this is the crux of the matter. Boruc certainly didn't want to sit on the bench all season.

I figure most clubs our size struggle with this. Very few clubs can afford and attract true quality backup goalkeepers, a la Man U with De Gea and Valdez or Chelsea with Courtois and Cech.

How about Linegaard from Man Utd - must be down the pecking order now Valdes has joined. contract expires in 2016 so could come on the cheap.

People keep suggesting this, he has aid he wants to leave Man Utd for first team football so why would he come here to play second fiddle to Forster?

The situation is a concern as we probably have the worst back up goal keeper situation that we have had in a long while (if we ignore the Kevin Miller period, although he played well!) I'd like to see us have a decent understudy on the bench but it will be hard to find anyone as they will know that displacing a signing as expensive as Forster will be very difficult!

A young keeper, proven in the Championship or some foreign league, who wants to learn from a former England goalkeeping coach and a current England keeper. Offer him cup games.

This is an issue that I've written on several times in the last three years - since our Championship days. Even before promotion, many fans had already commented that KD wasn't class enough for the top tier.

I should say at this point ...I'm not anti-Kelvin, his service to the club is second to none, but he never quite convinced anyone after the disasterous start in our first season up.

However, I do feel I can criticise " the management " because they didn't sign a better class of keeper than Gazzaniga - after our failed bid for Butland (which may have been a blessing in disguise anyway).

Someone wrote that Cortese had insisted we sign another keeper (Boruc), although Nigel Adkins didn't use him for a month or so afterwards. Clearly in retrospect, Boruc was a good choice at the time.

After that super start last season, everything went sour after Boruc's injury (7 games) and the use of both KD and PG proved a fruitless exercise and we won only once (at Cardiff when PG didn't have a save to make) and conceded 13 goals and lost 22 points in the process, before Boruc finally returned.

A later 2 match (Boruc) absence, saw PG back in goal and conceding another 5 goals, and gaining zero points. This surely shows that quality keepers are a MUST in the Prem.

Those (above) who say keepers can go a season un-injured are correct, but loss of form can be just as damaging as an injury ....look at the Mingolet situation at Liverpool, and goalies getting the flu' or being red-carded is not totally unknown-is it?. I think most evidence proved that Forster wasn't at fault for " the collision " in the Sunderland game, but some refs. might have thought otherwise and sent him off.

The remaining two weeks of the window could be vital for the rest of the season. If we succeed in getting into Europe:...another top goalie is a definite requirement (along with extra midfielders).

This is an issue where I really hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't like to have to trust anyone else in goal should Forster be absent for any reason. (Does Dave Watson agree -I wonder?).

Losing 2 or 3 games at this stage of the season could see us kiss goodbye to any Euro chance.

NOTE; Both Cody Cropper and Harry Isted were injured in games this week, so injury-free keepers isn't totally unknown.

Edited by david in sweden

I've posted on this before and it worries me a lot. Could be very expensive oversight if we don't get a good back-up in and we are forced to play Davis. That would mean a run of lost points, in my opinion. Mind you, in the meantime, we could give Fraser a few lessons in kicking. His is awful.

Actual Fosters kicking is good. On a bobbly pitch on Wednesday his kicking was excellent. Have you noticed he can kick with either foot by the way. If however, Foster were to get injured I am sure we would recall Boruc who I still rate. Davis is there for a game time injury not permanent cover.

This is an issue that I've written on several times in the last three years - since our Championship days. Even before promotion, many fans had already commented that KD wasn't class enough for the top tier.

I should say at this point ...I'm not anti-Kelvin, his service to the club is second to none, but he never quite convinced anyone after the disasterous start in our first season up.

However, I do feel I can criticise " the management " because they didn't sign a better class of keeper than Gazzaniga - after our failed bid for Butland (which may have been a blessing in disguise anyway).

Someone wrote that Cortese had insisted we sign another keeper (Boruc), although Nigel Adkins didn't use him for a month or so afterwards. Clearly in retrospect, Boruc was a good choice at the time.

After that super start last season, everything went sour after Boruc's injury (7 games) and the use of both KD and PG proved a fruitless exercise and we won only once (at Cardiff when PG didn't have a save to make) and conceded 13 goals and lost 22 points in the process, before Boruc finally returned.

A later 2 match (Boruc) absence, saw PG back in goal and conceding another 5 goals, and gaining zero points. This surely shows that quality keepers are a MUST in the Prem.

Those (above) who say keepers can go a season un-injured are correct, but loss of form can be just as damaging as an injury ....look at the Mingolet situation at Liverpool, and goalies getting the flu' or being red-carded is not totally unknown-is it?. I think most evidence proved that Forster wasn't at fault for " the collision " in the Sunderland game, but some refs. might have thought otherwise and sent him off.

The remaining two weeks of the window could be vital for the rest of the season. If we succeed in getting into Europe:...another top goalie is a definite requirement (along with extra midfielders).

This is an issue where I really hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't like to have to trust anyone else in goal should Forster be absent for any reason. (Does Dave Watson agree -I wonder?).

Losing 2 or 3 games at this stage of the season could see us kiss goodbye to any Euro chance.

NOTE; Both Cody Cropper and Harry Isted were injured in games this week, so injury-free keepers isn't totally unknown.

Couldn't agree more

What do you base that view on St Charlie?

We definitely won't be recalling Boruc, that much is clear.

RK said we couldn't recall during the first loan deal and we are releasing end of season so see no reason why we would this time around. The relationship between Boruc and Saints is irreparable.

If you mean the second point, Davis was a very good Championship goalie three years ago but now, aged 38 and with no competitive matches for a year, he will sadly struggle.

We definitely won't be recalling Boruc, that much is clear.

RK said we couldn't recall during the first loan deal and we are releasing end of season so see no reason why we would this time around. The relationship between Boruc and Saints is irreparable.

If you mean the second point, Davis was a very good Championship goalie three years ago but now, aged 38 and with no competitive matches for a year, he will sadly struggle.

Boruc first loan was an emergency loan, we could have recalled and I'd be grateful if you post the link to where Koeman said that. His second loan is a long term loan. As Boruc is a goalkeeper we can recall. Rule 6.6.3

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/rules-of-the-association/2013-14/standardised-rules.ashx

I am sure the club want shot of Boruc, but if Fraser breaks a leg February 1st they will suffer him.

Boruc first loan was an emergency loan, we could have recalled and I'd be grateful if you post the link to where Koeman said that. His second loan is a long term loan. As Boruc is a goalkeeper we can recall. Rule 6.6.3

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/rules-of-the-association/2013-14/standardised-rules.ashx

I am sure the club want shot of Boruc, but if Fraser breaks a leg February 1st they will suffer him.

Rule 6.6.3 is the relevant one.

In an interview with a dutcg magazine Koeman named the lack of depth for a striker and a goalkeeper as what seperates us from the top teams. Wouldn't be suprised to see a goalkeeper signed

Would be extremely surprised if we don't sign another goalie. But who? Who would want to come and want to be number 2 that is good enough?

Would be extremely surprised if we don't sign another goalie. But who? Who would want to come and want to be number 2 that is good enough?

It can't be too hard to scout a half decent keeper from somewhere across the footballing world, that is better than a 38 year old Kelvin Davis and is happy to be on the periphery of a top PL side whilst earning £10-20k a week; that's got to appeal to plenty.

Only thing I sometimes think is that Davis is a big personality in the squad, if we bring in another keeper he'll have zero meaningful involvement; might be a difficult move for Koeman to manage from that point of view.