The Sam Byram saga

david in sweden

.I note that this " story " has surfaced again, after it was rumoured we were after him last year, and now Liverpool's name has been mentioned, too.

Don't know how many people have seen him play, but if he's in " the Black Box ", then his name would surely have have come up by now.

Right back is the one position that we don't have any established " cover " for.

Successive managers have tried Yoshida at RB,in emergencies, where he looked uncomfortably out of position and although Alderweireld DAJFU there, I like to see Toby better as a CB.

If we succeed in getting Byram - will it be as cover, or is it the first signs of getting a replacement for Clyne? - when he eventually moves.

If Clynie moves on to MU (as rumoured), he'd get the same terms, (or better) than Luke Shaw has, as it would seem that 100K /week is a bit beyond Saints' budget for full-backs.

Lots of players will want to see the end of season League positions - before deciding on where they want to play next season.

One thing for sure, Sam Byram won't want to stay another season in the Championship, if these type of offers are to be believed.

Leeds have been in a rut for several seasons, and a bad finish might see them uncomfortably close to the bottom three.

If Clyne goes to Man Utd or Liverpool, I think it'll be a combination of wages and the fact that he doesn't believe he'll be able to manage the step up to the challenge of Champions League football...

Touche, quite funny. On a serious note, given that Morgan seems nailed on to leave in the Summer, Clyney is the one I worry most about losing at seasons' end even if a combined kitty of 50 mill or so would buy decent replacements.

I really do think Clyne is the best right back England has ever had. Still to be properly tested at the highest level, but the guy can do everything. Am I allowing my bias to get the better of me?

think I'd say he's the best around at the moment by a mile, and certainly on a very short list of all-time Saints' RB's....but it's a generational thing, so difficult /unfair to make comparisons.

Premier league club track progress of exciting young championship player. Hardly a saga Dave.

interesting thought, Turkish. It may be the lad likes living up Nor'f, and won't fancy a move down to the cissy South. In which case, the deal may never get off the ground.

one of my dictionary definitions is : a series of events, or a story stretching over a long period. I didn't look it up especially for the article, but I think it fits the bill IMHO.

SOURCE: Collins English Dictionary MILLENNIUM EDITION

I really do think Clyne is the best right back England has ever had. Still to be properly tested at the highest level, but the guy can do everything. Am I allowing my bias to get the better of me?

I agree, he has everything you want from a full back - pace, strength, balance, bravery in the tackle, intelligence to know when to bomb forward and when to track back, excellent crossing, outstanding stamina, need I go on? Will be incredibly hard to replace if he goes, but we usually manage to muddle through somehow.

Just to clarify you think Clyne is the best English right back of all time?

He has played 1 game for England, Im sorry Lou, but he isnt the best right back they have ever had at all

Yes you are but he does have a lot of potential and is having a really good season so far.

Oh dear, he got beaten down the line a bit too often on Saturday. Good player, but not that good, yet.

OK fair go. Still unproven. But potential to be? I can't see much of flaw in his game beyond the fact he's yet to be tested at the highest level.

His positioning isnt excellent and he isnt that tall but yes he has the potential to be very good. How much of a career he'll have for England will depend much on the form on Walker though who, when his head is sorted, is an equally good attacking wing back

I can't remember further back than G.Neville, but since he quit it has been bit of rogues gallery, which I spose was Lou's point! Here is bros I remember playing Right Back for England:

Danny Mills

Micah Richards

Phil Jones

Chris Smalling

Kyle Walker

Glenn Johnson

Edit:

Martin Kelly

Callum Chambers

Edited by Bearsy

I can't remember further back than G.Neville, but since he quit it has been bit of rogues gallery, which I spose was Lou's point! Here is bros I remember playing Right Back for England:

Danny Mills

Micah Richards

Phil Jones

Chris Smalling

Kyle Walker

Glenn Johnson

Edit:

Martin Kelly

Callum Chambers

Whippersnapper....Viv Anderson was probably England's best right back.

out of interest who would be everyone's best ever England right back?

To be honest, the best I can remember (in my own humble opinion) only played for England a handful of times - mainly due to injury or being overlooked by a numpty manager, but he was perhaps ahead of his time - Great defender and great going forward.

Paul Reaney.