Why do you support The Saints?

SO16_Saint

Born in southampton 1935, first match 1943 we beat Luton 12-3 not missed much since even though I've lived in West Dorset for the last 45 years

Should have added Alf Ramsey scored four that day, playing as a centre forward, what a start!

Born on IoW, moved to Kingsworthy, remember kids at school either being Liverpool or Saints, chose Saints, got bought Rank Xerox kit, got taken by friends to first game at Dell vs Aston Villa in 1982 (lost 2-0) but that didn't matter by that time the die was cast.

I have vague memories of being driven up and down the M3 by my dad to watch all the fans driving up to Wembley (must have been for the 1979 League Cup final, i'd have been too young for '76) and remember being amazed at all the scarfs hanging out the cars and coaches, banners hanging from the bridges etc. That probably swayed me away from the decision to support Liverpool at school.

Born here, dad supported them, same as most I suppose.

Dad [RIP] supported Pompey (he was in the RN), so stands to reason I supported Saints. To be fair to the old man, he took me to my first game in 1967 (Chelsea home, lost 3-5), teamed me up with some others from the Island and told me he would never set foot in the place (The Dell) again. He was true to his word. odd thing was that after dad passed away I was following up on family history and found that his grandmother was born in St Marys (Bullar Road) and that his Grandfather once ran the Antelope Hotel when Saints played at the Antelope ground. dad had far more in common with Southampton than ever he would with Pompey.

Hey y'all. I'm way out here in the US of A and having recently watched the inspiring video about the Saints of Southampton on NBC I've now decided to be our most passionate Saints fan! I've bought both the jerseys and hey, I've watched every game on TV so far as well! Crazy huh! I watched the Manchester United match-up in a bar and I went totally crazy when the Saints scored that awesome goal. I am hoping to soon get to Saint Mary's along with all the other nationalities of crazy Saints fans that now call Saint Mary's their home! I hope to one day wear our famous half and half scarves and take pictures of everything in sight with the use of my swell selfie stick! Can't wait to fit in with you guys, I see y'all as one big family! Go the Southampton Striped Soccer Saints!

When son number one was about 7/8 years old he was a typical plastic fan, wanted the Liverpool kit for Christmas, posters for his bedroom wall, etc. This was the all-conquering Liverpool,that won everything in sight and whose players' were household names. When he was about 16, he told me that Liverpool were coming to The Dell and could I take him to see the match? I agreed, but told him that I would be supporting my local team. Saints duly beat them 2-1 and he was a bit down in the mouth. The following year, he again asked if I could take him to The Dell to watch Liverpool and once again Saints beat them, 4-2. By that time, my son had been bitten by the Saints bug and subsequently asked for a half-season ticket for Christmas.

Our first match was the 2-2 draw with Manchester United and we have been fans ever since.

Grew up in Sydney where pretty much everyone said they supported Man U and were typical Man U fans (in my opinion). They used to have a 1 hour highlights show on the tv in the mid 90's where they would play 40 minutes of the match of the round and 20 minutes of highlights on the other games. One week the 40 minutes was the fantastic 6-3 win by the Saints over Man U. They have been my team ever since from the other side of the world until I came over here a few years back.

Parents moved to Chandlers Ford from Surbiton when was 18 months old - that's about 49 years ago.

Was taken by family friends to See Saints play Bristol Rovers one Easter about 40 odd years ago and the rest is history.

Now live back up in New Malden - next to Surbiton - how strange the circle of life.

Son and daughter now Saints fans. Coming down on Saturday with daughter and Brentford supporting mate - it must be the red and white.

Can't understand son - big Saints fan but not into going to see them live.

Born in Southampton, but merely due to the fact that it was the nearest hospital to where we were living at the time.

Dad a Bolton fan, Grandad and all other family members Liverpool supporters but for some reason was always drawn to the Saints as a kid - maybe because it was different to everyone else. Turning point came when I got to see a televised game in the early 1990's (against Liverpool). I think it must have been 1990/91 season around Easter. Just been bought the full Grey Candy Liverpool kit but I was still cheering on Saints. My Grandad gave me the ultimatum - you can only support one team! In my naivety, I said I would support whoever wins this game...and the rest is history!

Only managed to get to the Dell once, in 1993 against Chelsea (we won 1-0 - Nicky Banger), and then a couple of times away in amongst the home fans. Since 2004/5 I have been at least twice a year, in the League One seasons I went loads, but mainly to the away games as they were more convenient. Yet to go to a Premier League away since we have been back, probably going to try Everton as I would imagine we will have a decent allocation.

Best thing growing up as a Saints fan was the look on the Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool Plastic supporters faces on the Monday morning after we had turned them over the previous weekend. Priceless!

Ah John Sydenham I used to fill up his A40 Car when I worked in a Petrol Station in West End Road not far from the then Bitterne Brewery about 4/6 a Gallon.

How times have changed wonder what sort of Car he would have today

You realise John Sydenham lives in Perth now? He used to be an insurance broker I am sure he had his own company.

You could probably easily look him up and ask him yourself!

Unfortunately never started supporting saints until early 90's when I decided I liked them because they were financially so limited but somehow always managed to stay up. As opposed to the " normal" teams people supported.

Have never seen them play live but hope to remedy that at some stage. I visited the dell in 2000 when I was lucky enough to get a transfer with work from Perth to London, and couldn't believe well how crap it was. Made me love the saints even more :D

Born in Southend to parents from Epping and Durham. But, my Dad (from Durham) moved to the city in his early years and lived right next to the Dell.

Used to go and watch casually, then ended up going with work-mates and turned him into a lifelong Saints fan, despite his older brother's attempts to get him to follow Sunderland.

When I was old enough and he was able to take me, he took me along - and that's how it's been since!

Born in Chesterfield in '78, lived in Sheffield, I remember when I was about 6 a load of friends going on about supporting Sheffield Wednesday as they were a pretty decent outfit then but just to annoy them all I said I supported Sheffield United. Unfortunately my parents and older brother had no affinity for football unlike me so when we moved to tiny village in Somerset called Westonzoyland when I was 7 I have no recollection of supporting anyone, it wasn't until we moved again to Southampton when I was 9 that I made friends at school whose parents took them to the the Dell and I tagged along. One of my earliest memories was of Shearer scoring his hat-track and of the surge forward at every goal and being crushed against the bars when standing. Loved it!

Now I have a season ticket with my young boy and I still don't think my parents or brother have set foot in a football stadium. I must have been adopted!

Sound of cheering while having chemo at the near by "Royal South Hants" was so uplifting. Friend took me to a game after treatment and I have been hooked ever since. Still here 10 years on. Excellent therapy.

Very nice story, fair play!!

BTW, my mrs works at the RSH, she hates working on match days because it usually means a horrendously slow drive home.

During the early years of my life, I wasn't sure what club to support so I sought the advice of my mother.

I knew in my heart it would be between pompey or Saints, but wasn't sure.

What I didn't expect was the reply, foul mouthed to say the least.

She seemed appalled I would even entertain the idea of supporting pompey, and told me to wash my mouth out for even asking.

She then advocated violent retribution against friends who had chosen to support pompey. She's a scary woman.

Born in Berkshire in 1972.

As very young boy only really supported England.

Liverpool were all the rage in the early 80s. Even in a Berkshire school, most boys seemed to support them. Wanting to go against the crowd I asked my Dad which First Division team was easiest to get to, so - hint, hint - he could take me to some games.

"Not sure, it's probably Chelsea or Southampton. Think it's Southampton," he replied.

He was wrong. It was Chelsea (or QPR). So, I'm a Saints fan because my old man is f***ing useless at reading a map...

Born and bred in Southampton, always thought that one part of my family (on mother SSA's side) came from Southampton only to find that my great Aunt did the family tree and we actually come from Portsmouth!!!! But always supported Saints but was more of a Rugby fan in my youth due to the dominance of the top three/four growing up, (but never had the urge to support anyone else). Went to a few games a season, plus the coca-cola cup, (oooh Terry 'Urlock,ooh Terry 'Urlock.). But when we got relegated, I more or less started to follow Saints with more of a gusto to be honest, as I found the lower leagues to be great levellers, and really enjoyed the fall and rise of our team, and definatly enjoy this resurgence. Also took my daughter to her first game, when we were relegated from the Championship, as I told her i didn't know if we ever have a team again, and wanted her to experience it.

Born in the city, but only because dad was working there. No family ties , mum was a Londoner and dad a Bournemouth man ( unbelievable to think in the early 60' s , he moved rather than face a " long commute by car ") Dad used to go home to see Boscombe play, but gradually started to pop down the dell. His job took us too the west country when I was about 10, but by then I had the bug. All my kids are saints fans and they get their occasional bit of stick as we live in Poole. I've had a bit at work ( funny how 45 years of this can be called " glory hunting" ) , shut one bloke up by taking passport into work.

Apart from the football I have no affiliation with the city, and it doesn't feel like my home town. Poole does, despite only moving here in my 30's. But once a teams in your blood, its in your blood and you're stuck with it.

born in southampton, grew up a 15 minutes walk from the Dell and 10 minutes walk from St Mary's. Come from three generations of Sotonians, so was never really a choice, just part of life and can't ever imagine "supporting" a club that doesn't represent my birthplace, my family, my friends and our history.

Went to St Marys College. Mate had a trial for Southampton Boys with Ted Bates.

Grandad took me to my first game in 1962 He'd supported them for over 50 years. So have I now.

I also went to St Mary's (1962 - 1968) lived in Hythe.

Hamilton Saint is another that went to St Mary's the same time also living in Hythe.

I think first game we lost at home to Plymouth 1961 (think keeper was injured and Terry Paine went in goal ) been a lifelong fan and now a STH in Kingsland

Moved to Chandlers Ford when I was 4. Dad took me to Toomers to buy a football shirt when I was 8 for games lessons at junior school. I wanted a Man City shirt as they had just won the cup. Got bought a red and white striped shirt instead! Saw my first game aged 9 in 1971. Saints beat Stoke 2-1. Ron Davies scored the winner and Gordon Banks was in goal for Stoke. Got hooked.

44 years later still watching Saints. Must admit that the period since the Johnstone Paints trophy win has been the most enjoyable time watching Saints of the 44 years. Just about tops the McMenemy era of the early eighties.

I am no fan of patriotism. I don't get the flag thing, or national pride..........However, sport is different. It is a local thing, and just for fun. For this reason, I am rabid for my local team. Local local local. Saints is my religion because we all need some kind of unsubstantiated faith, and I just can't do the god crap. :)

Had no connection until in my early twenties in the early nineties I lived on Amouy st (forget spelling) by Bedford place for a year with a girl. Left the girl but could never leave Saints. Wasn't even in to football before I lived there ffs.

Likewise. I must be of a similar vintage as I had a maths book that was previously John Sydenham's!! This was the Pat Earls, Nick Holms era. My first game was age 8 watching saints lose 1 - 0 to Newcastle at the Dell. Have been hooked ever since. I currently work for an American company based in San Diego where I have converted a number of colleagues who now also follow the saints. It makes for much more interesting emails than the average work email.

I left SMC at the end of the 6th Form in 1965 so I am a bit previous to your era. I suspect that they made their text books last a very long time before ordering new ones!

Born in Adelaide, Australia but lived in Lymington for a couple of years before I could remember.....

Returned to Australia with a handful of Saints match day programs (including 79 League Cup final) through my Dad (who incidentally wasn't really a Saints fan), and flicked through them ad nauseam for the best part of 15 years whilst burning the midnight oil every Saturday night listening to the football on the BBC world service, and reading one inch articles in the British Soccer Weekly (a football newspaper published in Australia) during the pre-internet era.

First visit to the Dell was on my own as aged 18 in a dramatic 1-1 draw against Liverpool in 1991 where a young fella with a fair bit of hair by the name A. Shearer opened the scoresheet and a ***t called Jamie Redknap came on as a late substitute and equalized on debut.

sport-graphics-2008_688878a.jpg

Now live in London and loving the latest Saints revolution, and pleased to say I have a bit more hair that Shearer now.... just.

1969 aged 5. Living in South Wales decided I needed to support a team. Looked through one of those sticker albums (before Panini) and wanted to find a team with a player called Ron, which was my Dad's name. Finally found Ron Davies who was Welsh, and we lived in Davies Avenue, so it was destiny. Supported Saints ever since. I was famous at school as the odd boy who supported unfashionable Saints as opposed to Man Utd, Liverpool and Leeds who everyone else supported. As you can imagine 1976 was a good year!

Now I still live 120 miles away which is about the closest I've ever got but have had a season ticket since St Mary's opened with my eldest son who is now 20. He now travels down from Sheffield every game to meet me to travel down to St Mary's and so I am to blame for giving him the bug. Mind you it's pretty good at the moment!

I don't know where I'd be without Saints as it is such a major part of my life and all started by a magnificent person called Ron Davies!