Osvaldo and Ramirez

SarniaSaint

You're so right Turkey Boy, Cortese wtf? Imagine if he'd signed players like Rickie Lambert and Jose Fonte, God where would we be now..... Oh, hang on a minute! But they didn't cost so much, luckily nor did Victor or Rodrigues..... Oh, hang on a minute!

:lol:

Lambert and fonte were signed by Pardew. Unless you think and Italian banker with no experience in football had spent his life scouting the lower leagues of English football so when he took over a league one club he could sign them both within months of joining them :lol:

Lambert and fonte were signed by Pardew. Unless you think and Italian banker with no experience in football had spent his life scouting the lower leagues of English football so when he took over a league one club he could sign them both within months of joining them :lol:

Sometimes you're just a tiresome troll, other times you are just a knob.

today you are the later.

So it's convenient that two of our worse signings were by Cortese but our best by the Manager?

what about changing from Pardew to Adkins? What about changing from Adkins to MP? Or was that Les Reed.

wish there was a geeking yawning icon, I could attach that to most of your posts.

And J rod and VW? Sorry, missed that?

Sometimes you're just a tiresome troll, other times you are just a knob.

today you are the later.

So it's convenient that two of our worse signings were by Cortese but our best by the Manager?

what about changing from Pardew to Adkins? What about changing from Adkins to MP? Or was that Les Reed.

wish there was a geeking yawning icon, I could attach that to most of your posts.

So you think within a few weeks of taking over at southampton a banker from Italy had an intimate knowledge of the lower leagues of English football, knew all about Rickie lambert, Jose Fonte, how the free transfer market worked so he could sign Dan Harding and Jaidi as well as organise loans from Italy of Papa Waigo? Fair enough. what a guy, he's really is the greatest man who ever lived, SING HIS NAME FFS :lol::lol:

So you think within a few weeks of taking over at southampton a banker from Italy had an intimate knowledge of the lower leagues of English football, knew all about Rickie lambert, Jose Fonte, how the free transfer market worked so he could sign Dan Harding and Jaidi as well as organise loans from Italy of Papa Waigo? Fair enough. what a guy, he's really is the greatest man who ever lived, SING HIS NAME FFS :lol::lol:

Be fair. For years before he joined he was known in the Swiss banking community as "The Italian Leroy Rosenior", so encyclopaedic was his knowledge of the English lower divisions.

And so it proved. He was superb in the lower divisions for us.

Hey Turkish, I'm staying clear of the " trolldom " conversations between you and Noodles, .... BUT, I agree with your comments above.

I'm sure that Cortese had his own contacts (in Italy) and wanted to find journeymen for next to nothing and both Papa Waigo and Guly served the purpose well at L1 level.

However, shortly after Pardew's sacking he was interviewed on Sky Sport and fencing carefully about questions on Cortese, he did defend his purchase of Lambert (who he'd watched in other clubs)

and said QUOTE; "..the Chairman said to me ..Do you really want to spend £1 million on a 28 year-old striker ? " :scared:

I think we can put that deal down to Pardew's insistance, and not Cortese in-depth ignorance of English lower league football.

Edited by david in sweden

never sang his name in my life, the song is not even factually correct.

So who signed JR and VW? and Lovren come to think of it? Sorry, who was in charge when the likes of Shaw and Chambers and Chamberlain came through?

I fail to understand why you have such a vendetta against someone, albeit bank rolled by his boss, took us from pretty much bottom of L1 to mid table PL, and built the basis of where we are now, that big picture is down to two people, Markus and NC.

He carried on spending the money that he clearly had a mandate to, until he was reigned in by the new owner, didn't like that and stormed off. that was his and KL's prerogatives.

Was he a nice man? Probably not. Was he living within a normal ego? Nope, again not by the looks of it.

But I think he did everything he thought was right for the club, ex player free tickets, gone, and one or two didn't like that. Ignoring the history (except for the red sash shirt with no sponsor!) was pretty poor, charging for the car park and losing the guy from Coronation St as a STH. Lots of things that divided opinion and put people out on their arse.

So he overspent on the training ground, big deal! Not all my projects fall within budget, get over it. How much did we save buying the stadium from Aviva, do you think ML brokered that deal?

Suddenly he is responsible for the bad buys but not for the good ones, and they fall into the majority, that's why we are third.

I am no big fan of Cortese, but i recognise that he did more good than bad by a long way and i dont care if he was an arse, he took our club to where Markus wanted it. Its been an incredible few years and thats down to him, I fail to see how you can continually slag him off?

But I guess thats you.

Anyway, that's me done on NC with you, just putting the record straight from perspective.

Hey Turkish, I'm staying clear of the " trolldom " conversations between you and Noodles, .... BUT, I agree with your comments above.

I'm sure that Cortese had his own contacts (in Italy) and wanted to find journeymen for next to nothing and both Papa Waigo and Guly served the purpose well at L1 level.

However, shortly after Pardew's sacking he was interviewed on Sky Sport and fencing carefully about questions on Cortese, he did defend his purchase of Lambert (who he'd watched in other clubs)

and said QUOTE; "..the Chairman said to me ..Do you really want to spend £1 million on a 28 year-old striker ? " :scared:

I think we can put that deal down to Pardew's insistance, and not Cortese in-depth ignorance of English lower league football.

so Saints and Huddersfield were the only clubs in for him, Rickie Lambert, so in demand. Easy to say now isnt it, just like GR and DO.

• 2 months later...

Doubt he's done enough at Hull for them to want to buy him, he's generally as ineffective there as he was for us. Talented, but not suited to English football.

I read some rumors that he's looking to go back to South America in the summer for a cut price, but I doubt he's staying in England.

So what is going to happen with Gaston at the end of the season. Are Hull buying him? Are we keeping him?

Can't imagine they'll buy him, he's not exactly been brilliant for them. I don't expect we'll sell either, we'll need all the players we can get for Europe.

Part of me is hoping he stays with us to see if Koeman can get the best put of him where other managers have failed. Some players in the game seem to only click when they're playing for a certain manager. You never know, that manager might well be Koeman.

Can't imagine they'll buy him, he's not exactly been brilliant for them. I don't expect we'll sell either, we'll need all the players we can get for Europe.

Gaston will be entering his last year of contract so is nailed on to be sold this summer, probably back to Italy for about 5 million €.

Part of me does wonder though what if. What if Osvaldo, Ramirez and Boruc had been here for the season. Would we now be sitting in a champions league spot? Certainly our lack of goals since January could have been helped by Ramirez/Osvaldo , and there is no doubting that Boruc is a better keeper than Kelvin.

Part of me does wonder though what if. What if Osvaldo, Ramirez and Boruc had been here for the season. Would we now be sitting in a champions league spot? Certainly our lack of goals since January could have been helped by Ramirez/Osvaldo , and there is no doubting that Boruc is a better keeper than Kelvin.

Given that Osvaldo had a habit of punching team mates and unsettling every team he goes to, then I would say we'd probably be doing a lot worse as most of our players would be out with broken cheekbones and noses. And Gaston hasn't ever done anything over a prolonged period of time to suggest he'd have made any difference what so ever. Wouldn't think Boruc would make much difference either, Forster was in goal all season anyway, so Davis isn't going to make a huge difference to our prospects in just 4/5 games.

We might have been in a Champs League spot if:

a) Osvaldo had managed to play at the peak of his game

b) Osvaldo had managed to control his temper and petulant tantrums

c) Boruc had accepted being second choice to Fraser and not made a fuss

d) Gaston managed to replicate the form shown in the Villa game

e) this could go on for a long time.

so to cut a very long story short, I think the negative baggage all three (may be a tad harsh on Gaston) of them brought along would probably have meant we would not have been in a top 4 challenge, nor 5/6/7 battle.

The same Osvaldo that scored just 3 goals in 13 matches in a team that weren't struggling to score goals at that time?

Had Jay been fit for us, then your statement might have sounded a little better.

Don't spend too long wondering pal, the answer is no we wouldn't.

We might have been in a Champs League spot if:

a) Osvaldo had managed to play at the peak of his game

b) Osvaldo had managed to control his temper and petulant tantrums

c) Boruc had accepted being second choice to Fraser and not made a fuss

d) Gaston managed to replicate the form shown in the Villa game

e) this could go on for a long time.

so to cut a very long story short, I think the negative baggage all three (may be a tad harsh on Gaston) of them brought along would probably have meant we would not have been in a top 4 challenge, nor 5/6/7 battle.

My list of what ifs that would have put us in the Champions League is completely different--except for "e" of course.

I doubt Ramirez is going to extend his contract and so with him entering the last year of his deal I suspect, regardless of how much intrigue I have to see if Koeman could find a productive role for him, the club will seek to move him on.

Personally would like to see him stay if we make Europe - I think a team with a few kids and Gaston in playing in European games would be fun to watch.