Koeman on the Squad, Loanees & Renewals

JxgrSaint

@SimonPeach: Ronald Koeman wants to know sooner rather than later whether Alderweireld, Bertrand & Clyne will commit their long-term future to #SaintsFC

@SimonPeach: Koeman on Alderweireld & Bertrand: "It is important that the club is growing, the team is doing very well & the players are very happy"

@SimonPeach: Koeman: "They have got the possibility to play in the case of Ryan and Toby. I think we have good possibilities to sign them" #SaintsFC

@SimonPeach: #SaintsFC are waiting to hear back from Clyne on contract extension. "We would like to know what the player is doing - it influences plans"

@SimonPeach: Koeman: "We try to do our maximum to keep these players because they are good players & still at a good age to develop" #SaintsFC

@SimonPeach: Koeman said there's no immediate deadline as #SaintsFC "don't make that pressure on players, but they can't wait until April [to answer]"

@SimonPeach: Koeman: "We hope that they will stay but we respect every decision & we would like to know it" #SaintsFC

@SimonPeach: Rodriguez is another whose #SaintsFC contract is up soon, but Koeman told me it was a "different case" because of the injury.

My opinions FWIW:

I reckon Bertrand will sign, Toby may see who comes in for him in the summer but I think will stay.

Clyne won't sign a new deal and we will sell for a decent fee to a big PL club in the summer.

Jay Rod who knows. There is so much uncertainty about him in many ways and his camp (presumably?) keep feeding the press with Liverpool, City and Spurs interest yet he isnt even close to being fit to play.

We need Cork and Clyne. Clyne is probably one of the best right backs in the league and Cork will always be in the 17 squad giving us options in midfield. That said, both can be replaced if need be. Just can't understand why they would even think about leaving right now. Oh yes I cam £££££££

We need Cork and Clyne. Clyne is probably one of the best right backs in the league and Cork will always be in the 17 squad giving us options in midfield. That said, both can be replaced if need be. Just can't understand why they would even think about leaving right now. Oh yes I cam £££££££

We NEED clyne, cork would be a plus but Id be more annoyed at losing him on a free rather than losing him as a player

Toby and Ryan are both loanees so hardly a mass exodus if they don't sign full time.

It does feel different this year compared to last in terms of our ability to retain players.

Almost as if we have grown up and proved ourselves capable of dealing with any situation.

I also like Koemans comments and openness, which is in stark contrast to that scheming cockroach Pochettino.

Obviously it's all calculated and planned by the club to make all this public but it also puts the ball firmly in the players court.

I think we've proven to everyone, fans, players etc that we can overcome a player leaving. That we can push on and improve. That we hold our core values very highly. It's really up to the players now if they want to be part of it or not. Money aside they must all use last summer and this season as an example that the grass isn't always greener. It must be in their thoughts. Obviously the agents will be pushing for moves.. It's how those parasites make their millions after all.

Finally, it is also refreshing to hear the manager talk of the future and planning for next season. The spectre of him being poached is always there but he's certainly more forthright and seems on the level. I like that.

Hope we keep Toby and Bertrand first and foremost. Clyne wants out I understand to a London club, but it would be great to keep him. Morgan would be fantastic to keep, but I think he will end up going and with Reed looking really good I'm relaxed about it. Cork I like and hope he stays, but there are u-21 players waiting for their chance so no disaster if he goes. Also hope we sign Elia...real deal player who appears to love it here.

We need to throw money at these guys, all of them - this squad seems very together and not like last year where I think we could already tell there was a clique with Pochettino and certain players, I think it feels more like a whole team. I think it's more important to keep that this year, than last.

Clyne, Toby and Ryan; all 3 I think are pivotal to doing well next season.

If we get Jay and Cork to sign, then ideal.

And out of all of them, Clyne is probably in the best position of his life to get the very very biggest deal he can. We should absolutely break the bank to keep hold of one of the best right backs we've seen.

We can't compete with what he will get at United or similar.

And if we matched it then rightly other players would want doubling too and then it gets ludicrous unless you are a CL team every year which we clearly aren't.

I hope we first started talks over a year ago because if not then IMO we left it too late. I guess a year ago there was too much crap going on which probably prevented it.

Was clear he was an excellent player back then but he was under the radar a lot more.

Obviously Clyne is excellent, but if we get £25m for him could we not replace him with that? We'd have thought the same about Shaw last season and Bertrand has been as good as him.

Unsure about replacing Clyne as easily but Bertrand has been better than Shaw. Great defender, plus goals, no sickness / flurry of injuries.

Keeping Cork should have been simple. Hoping the delay and messing him around doesn't cause us to lose such an excellent player.

You'd think we'd be able to retain Bertrand. He's not as good potentially as Shaw but a good english youngish left back all the same. Can't see him going back to chelsea as first choice.

Toby, would be an amazing coup, if he stays. Been convinced since start that he likely won't stay.

Clyne, equally would be coup if he signs a new deal. Would show we can keep hold of english internationals. After last summer i'm rather doubtful. Champions League is the miracle at the end of the rainbow that might swing it our way.

Jrod, if it weren't for the speculation, i'd be thinking he'd sign a new deal once fit. I certainly hope he gets back and shows a little loyalty.

But we would never have thought that Bertrand could replace him. Had an awful season at Villa. Perhaps it's more the system than the player sometimes?

I'm not sure he was awful, but the main point I want to pick up here is in bold. This is the single most important thing IMO. Pochettino started it, Koeman has developed and tweaked it, but players are coming into a solid system, hence why when Morgan and Victor are out, whilst we obviously lose something, we don't just fall to pieces. The system is designed to do a lot of the work... individual ability is the cherry on the icing on top.

That, coupled with Koeman himself clearly being a strong motivator and man-manager, and the benefit of hindsight of last summer, means I am less worried about losing ANY player than I ever was at any time supporting Saints.

As much as we loved Matt Le Tiss, we are now in a strong position so completely opposite to that time where we relied on the individual. It's why young players, in defence and midfield especially, can come in and develop further with Saints than at most other clubs, where more reliance is placed on their individual ability. In attack it is slightly different because more individual flair is needed to create and take opportunities, but still, the system helps too.

I think Clyne, for example, would get over £100k easily from United. We simply can't compete with that - to match those wages would blow a hole in our wage structure and have a serious knock-on effect on the rest of the squad. Then there's financial fair play....... Player careers are also relatively short and they never know when an injury will put an end to it all - you kinda understand them wanting to play for a massive club who can compete for trophies year in, year out.

I hope they all stay but if they don't I wont wet the bed like I did last year. We've proven that the club's foundations are incredibly strong and we have one of the very best managers in Europe right now - we have replaced our best before and we can do so again.

I'd say Bertrand and Cork will sign, Bertrand has already been round the houses too often and he knows getting into the Chelsea team is unlikely. He's found a place in a good team.

I'd also like to think Toby is thinking the same, but bigger suitors may turn his head.

Jay Rod no idea, I think he still idolises Pochettino so you don't know until he gets back playing and if he starts working with Koeman he might stay.

Clyne I suspect will go, but for big money.

Bertrand and Toby are the most important players we need to keep hold of, Toby in particular. I think if Toby does sign, it will send a clear message of our intent and help us attract better players.

Cork needs us more than we need him. The fact that we have got results with Reed and Davis playing in DM, one with hardly any experience until a month ago and the other playing in a deeper role than usual, says it all. Don't get me wrong, would like to keep hold of Cork, but even with our injured line-up he is a squad player at best. If he thinks he is better than this, he is welcome to leave and I appreciate the work he has put in.

Pretty much resigned to the fact the Clyne will go in the summer, otherwise surely he would have signed a new deal. I can't begrudge him a move if/when he does go, he has put in so much for us this season, and kept his mouth shut during the "meltdown". I would love to keep him, but when he sees Luke Shaw on £100k a week, he obviously wants something similar. Glen Johnson's deal, which is expiring, was for the similar amount of money. Clyne is better than both IMHO.

Last summer has taught me not to be concerned..

If we lose some quality OK, we will replace with some quality.

RonKo is the most important man, and with his hand on the tiller I am quite relaxed.

To lose 5 or 6 first choice players from your team and actually improve is amazingly difficult to do once, to do twice in a row will be pretty much impossible.

But we would never have thought that Bertrand could replace him. Had an awful season at Villa. Perhaps it's more the system than the player sometimes?

Why are posters on here so quick to speak for everyone? I personally thought Bertrand was a very tidy acquisition (and said so at the time!) He is a champions league winner (played in the final and my Chelsea mates say he was the best player on the pitch for a lot of the game), has more experience than Shaw and was understudy to the best player in his position in Ashley Cole for years. I wouldn't say his half season at Villa was awful, they stayed up, didn't they?

Bottom line, we cant/don't compete with wages/big club status. Players will leave for more money/bigger club. On the upside there are plenty of decent players who will play for us on the way up.

At the moment we don't, but based on last and this seasons performance, we can and should start to close the gap. Unfortunatly, success breeds revenue, give you money to assist in buying success. But our whole business model is sustainable, luckily, and means that we are getting there without the risk of the bottom falling out, unlike others we could mention in the recent memory.

Whatever happens, Ron and the backroom will be researching very good plan B players to backfill any exodus, so I am not anywhere near as worried as last summer. Confidence. We are a pocket Barca who, by virtue of limited £ resouces and size, are always going to sell our best development players.

Why are posters on here so quick to speak for everyone? I personally thought Bertrand was a very tidy acquisition (and said so at the time!) He is a champions league winner (played in the final and my Chelsea mates say he was the best player on the pitch for a lot of the game), has more experience than Shaw and was understudy to the best player in his position in Ashley Cole for years. I wouldn't say his half season at Villa was awful, they stayed up, didn't they?

Fairplay if you thought that taking Bertrand on loan would be equal to or an upgrade on Shaw, but I believe the vast majority on here didn't, as can be seen in the below thread:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?51238-Bertrand-signs-for-a-season-long-loan&highlight=bertrand#.VMIz7_lFDqA

Fairplay if you thought that taking Bertrand on loan would be equal to or an upgrade on Shaw, but I believe the vast majority on here didn't, as can be seen in the below thread:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?51238-Bertrand-signs-for-a-season-long-loan&highlight=bertrand#.VMIz7_lFDqA

Don't think I posted on there. Have to admit I was a little 'meh' about it, neither massively excited nor massively disappointed.

Fair play to the lad though, has been a really good signing. He has played really well all season, and I'd certainly hope he stays on permanently.

That's quite a funny thread. I'm so pleased that Koeman is the one running the club as he can see the attributes in players that 90% of posters pounding against their keyboards can't.

Agreed, most thinking people could see that Shaw was perfectly replaceable, at least in the short term. In the long term Shaw may well develop into being a better full back than Bertrand, but that is still debatable, he has certainly not shown that to be the case thus far at OT. He remains a great prospect, nothing more, but with a very large price tag on his head to add to the pressure of a young player.

Obviously Clyne is excellent, but if we get £25m for him could we not replace him with that? We'd have thought the same about Shaw last season and Bertrand has been as good as him.

I'd actually argue Bertrand has been better due to goals and assists. You'd like to think that the experiences of last summers leavers to big clubs might give our current players pause for thought but I think, in reality, the lure of big money and a general self belief that they won't be in the same position as say Lovern means we will see players leaving again next summer. I reckon we could get CL and players will still ditch us for one of the bigger teams that hasn't managed CL.

I'd actually argue Bertrand has been better due to goals and assists. You'd like to think that the experiences of last summers leavers to big clubs might give our current players pause for thought but I think, in reality, the lure of big money and a general self belief that they won't be in the same position as say Lovern means we will see players leaving again next summer. I reckon we could get CL and players will still ditch us for one of the bigger teams that hasn't managed CL.

I agree.

Does anyone know of any very good up and coming RB's in Holland? I also think we'll be getting Depay in the Summer as well (fingers crossed). Would love that.

To lose 5 or 6 first choice players from your team and actually improve is amazingly difficult to do once, to do twice in a row will be pretty much impossible.

Why? It was deemed to be impossible to replace those players with similar talent at the time they left. But having repleced them with players as good or better for less money, why is it pretty much impossible to do it again? Are players like those we got in a finite quantity and we took the last of them? And where most pundits tipped us for relegation when those players left, it was far more difficult to pursuade others to come in. Now that eveybody has seen that the loss of some star players gave a superb opportunity for their replacements to shine, surely the next batch have a great example of how they can develop/resurrect their own careers here. In my opinion it will be easier to do it again, not more difficult.