Elvis

Goatboy

Just watched the '68 black leather comeback performance. Recorded 2 years before I was born.

What a singer he was. Never bettered in my opinion. My daughter didn't know who he was!!!!!

His voice is like stealing your Dad's car, picking up the hottest girl in town, taking her to church and f*cking her dirty style when everyone else has left.

Obviously I didn't point this out to my daughter.

Just watched the '68 black leather comeback performance. Recorded 2 years before I was born.

What a singer he was. Never bettered in my opinion. My daughter didn't know who he was!!!!!

His voice is like stealing your Dad's car, picking up the hottest girl in town, taking her to church and f*cking her dirty style when everyone else has left.

Obviously I didn't point this out to my daughter.

Wow, Ths is the first time I've discovered the Arts forum.

That said, I'm not a fan of Elvis in the 60s. Poor mans Tom Jones (and Tom was pretty dire iin the first place, let's be honest).

Now Elvis 1956... now we're talking. Saw Scotty Moore and DJ Fontana at the Brook a few years back, that was something.

Oh dear. I thought so highly of you Goatboy! I knew it was too good to be true. Next you'll say you like Queen, and that'll be it.

I knew I shouldn't hang out in the arts forum!!

I quite like Queen. I am a singer so my view is skewed.

That's like saying Shirley Bassey is a great singer...

Oh dear, I don't think I'm going to last long on they arts forum. I'm running out of forums!!

I used to have genuine incomprehension how anyone could like her singing, too many wobbly lips and melodies for my taste - but there were some very good songs on her 'Performance album a few years ago, including this:

I used to have genuine incomprehension how anyone could like her singing, too many wobbly lips and melodies for my taste - but there were some very good songs on her 'Performance album a few years ago, including this:

She is a great singer.

Listening to Radcliffe and Maconie on 6 Music yesterday afternoon and this came on...

[video=youtube;jqWt49o7R-k]

Wow...she epitomises everything the modern female pop singer, (and Shirley Bassey) isn't. Cool, smooth, tasteful, understated...just a wonderful singer...great song too.

Elvis was a wasted talent...I know it's a cliche (but it's true) not the same after he came out of the army.

Listening to Radcliffe and Maconie on 6 Music yesterday afternoon and this came on...

[video=youtube;jqWt49o7R-k]

Wow...she epitomises everything the modern female pop singer, (and Shirley Bassey) isn't. Cool, smooth, tasteful, understated...just a wonderful singer...great song too.

Elvis was a wasted talent...I know it's a cliche (but it's true) not the same after he came out of the army.

Agree on both counts. Elvis was a wasted talent, but what a rocket he launched in those few years when he was great!

Here's a goody. Check out me and Lou clapping along!

That could be me! Though her uncertainty on when to clap and when not to is definitely not me. Didn't take you for a Bryl cream, specs and tash man though Goats.

But song wise, it's a pretty safe choice. Best Elvis song is That's Alright Mama, and good luck to anyone who dares challenge me on that!

The colonel messed elvis up, stupid films and pathetic songs once he left the army , until elvis himself took control of his own musical direction around '68. The period from the comeback until the LV washout he was fantastic . A couple of great albums in Memphis , with great musicians . Suspicious minds and in the ghetto are the famous ones from those albums , but the other stuff is really outstanding . Any day now, true love travels on a gravel road, long black limo , to name a few. Now the albums are all repackaged and given new names , but you can still pick up the songs in iTunes . Great mixture , bit bluesy, hillbilly, country, rock and roll, anybody who hears these will be convinced he's a great great singer. 80% of his stuff was dross , but the 20% , man nobody could touch him .

Edited by Lord Duckhunter