Forster So Far

Saint Charlie

7 only issue I really have with him is how he deals with shots low and across him. Thought he should have either put a stronger hand or held the first one yesterday. Palming it 3 inches away from you isn't ideal! To clarify this though I'm no keeper and have no idea if that's a reasonable expectation from that sort of shot. Not as good as niemi more reliable than boruc.

7/10 for me. However, he has put in some 10/10 performances, e.g. arsenal, everton crop to mind.

From the top of my head, the only goals where he is at fault would be Aston Villa's goal, Sheffield United goal, man u's second goal and if your being picky, that newcastle goal at the weekend.

he does have a slight hesitation about coming off his line, and he doesn't particularly like low drilled shots, However, overall great keeper, more than happy with, and he has time on his side :) and he's english!

I'd say 7. Solid if unspectacular. There are very few keepers who don't have a mistake in them.

Those of you who are disappointed or underwhelmed- who would we realistically be able to sign who is significantly better?

I don't remember Antti Niemi being as weak as Forster at commanding his area, surely we can get someone as good as him again?

7/10 for me. However, he has put in some 10/10 performances, e.g. arsenal, everton crop to mind.

From the top of my head, the only goals where he is at fault would be Aston Villa's goal, Sheffield United goal, man u's second goal and if your being picky, that newcastle goal at the weekend.

he does have a slight hesitation about coming off his line, and he doesn't particularly like low drilled shots, However, overall great keeper, more than happy with, and he has time on his side :) and he's english!

Palace's 1st goal yesterday.

He is a good shot stopper but does not command his area, he never seems to come for the ball. Being so big he does not get down well for low shots and seems nervous at times. He needs to improve a great deal if he is going to be England's no 1. I would prefer a fit Boruc and have him as a back up.

and boruc is guaranteed to miss a fair few games with injuries

Has he missed any matches through injury this season?

Forster's kicking is far far better than Boruc. Otherwise there is little to choose between the two, though I would say Boruc's shot-stopping last season was better.

Edited by VectisSaint

How would you rate his overall performances this season out of 10?

6 for me.

No keeper is going to go a whole season without some mistakes. Our defence have reduced the amount of efforts he has to deal with, but Forster still deserves a lot of credit for only conceding 16 goals in 22 Premier League games.

I would prefer a fit Boruc and have him as a back up.

This is just crazy, putting aside who is better than who... Forster hasn't moved to Saints for £10m to sit on the bench! He has played a key part in the best defensive record in the Premier League this season.

No keeper is going to go a whole season without some mistakes. Our defence have reduced the amount of efforts he has to deal with, but Forster still deserves a lot of credit for only conceding 16 goals in 22 Premier League games.

This is just crazy, putting aside who is better than who... Forster hasn't moved to Saints for £10m to sit on the bench! He has played a key part in the best defensive record in the Premier League this season.

Changed your tune since you were knocking Yoshida - now everyone deserves credit for our defensive record.

Changed your tune since you were knocking Yoshida - now everyone deserves credit for our defensive record.

No I haven't. In the past I've pointed out Yoshida's flaws, he is a reasonable player, but isn't good enough to regularly start if we want to challenge for the top 4. Which is why Alderweireld and Fonte are 1st choices. Forster has played in all 22 Premier League games. Yoshida is 3rd/4th choice centre back and only featured in half of them, Forster is the 1st choice keeper.

No I haven't. In the past I've pointed out Yoshida's flaws, he is a reasonable player, but isn't good enough to regularly start if we want to challenge for the top 4. Which is why Alderweireld and Fonte are 1st choices. Forster has played in all 22 Premier League games. Yoshida is 3rd/4th choice centre back and only featured in half of them, Forster is the 1st choice keeper.

In your defense of Forster, you point to our defensive record which is a collective effort; yet in the past have been almost at pains to suggest that it was inspite of Yoshida, not partly because of him. It's either a collective effort or not.

Edited by shurlock

In your defense of Forster, you point to our defensive record which is a collective effort; yet in the past have been almost at pains to suggest that it was inspite of Yoshida, not partly because of him. It's either a collective effort or not.

Its a collective effort from the whole squad, but its not equal credit to be divided up in the entire squad. More credit goes to the 1st choice keeper who has played every minute, compared to Yoshida who is 3rd/4th choice centre back and... hasn't. Its very hard to be solid defensively and have the best record in the Premier League without a good keeper, you can "get away with it" if you have a drop in quality elsewhere in the side occasionally.

Its a collective effort from the whole squad, but its not equal credit to be divided up in the entire squad. More credit goes to the 1st choice keeper who has played every minute, compared to Yoshida who is 3rd/4th choice centre back and... hasn't. Its very hard to be solid defensively and have the best record in the Premier League without a good keeper, you can "get away with it" if you have a drop in quality elsewhere in the side occasionally.

Never said it was to be divided up equally; only saying that when others have made similar arguments in Yoshida's case, you've been pretty scathing of the idea of collective effort or responsibility.

Has he missed any matches through injury this season?

Forster's kicking is far far better than Boruc. Otherwise there is little to choose between the two, though I would say Boruc's shot-stopping last season was better.

He is inured now is he? (Boruc that is)

Upgrade on Boruc in some areas but Boruc's better in others, Forster does however have age on his side. One thing they both struggle with is kicking. Forster is a really poor kicker yet still 10 times better than Boruc at it. Boruc's clearly better at coming out for crosses though, far better.

7/10 so far.

OMG - Irene is back. You must be sad, bitter and twisted to still be coming back here with your bleeding heart attitude.

Who cares if Forster is a 1 or a 10 he is what you've got so get behind the guy but half you lot don't seem to want to get behind your players or maybe it's more there has to be a scapegoat and the keeper is the easy player to make the scapegoat

To be fair irene is completely correct in her assessment of the situation .

Odd that posters revert to abuse in reply ...

Sadly it seems a few only know how to abuse. They have not the emotional or intellectual ability to do anything else

Who cares if Forster is a 1 or a 10 he is what you've got so get behind the guy but half you lot don't seem to want to get behind your players or maybe it's more there has to be a scapegoat and the keeper is the easy player to make the scapegoat

It's a forum for discussing things exactly like this. Everyone gets behind Forster, it's not like we're all stood there at games debating whether he's a 7 or a 7.5.

It's a forum for discussing things exactly like this. Everyone gets behind Forster, it's not like we're all stood there at games debating whether he's a 7 or a 7.5.

Maybe someone should come up with a new song addressing this.

I think some interesting points have been raised. For a big guy it is understandable that getting down to low shots will be harder .However, Hart is equally tall but gets down well to shots on the ground. I think that Forster is slow off his line and this is symptomatic of his confidence in reading a game. When I was at the Dell I often played centre forward. Like all goalies I was really a frustrated goalscorer!! However, it got me to appreciate and anticipate the game much better.

I think that Frazer is a good keeper that needs to command more and be more assertive. Most goalies of his size are going to intimidate any forward. In this respect coming for a cross will put off the forward even if no or minimal contact is made.

I am sure the coaches are working on this. Well I hope they are !!!