New CCTV at St Mary's

The Cat

Installation of new CCTV technology at St Mary's means the stewards now have the ability to instantly zoom in and look at any fan in the Northam while still monitoring the rest of the stand on a different screen.

Just a heads up if you're considering drinking in your seat or lobbing something on to the pitch as you'll most likely get caught.

How can they tell what you're drinking from zooming in? I doubt anyone with alcohol in the stands is stupid enough to use a can of fosters, they'll put it in a lucozade bottle or something.

You'd be surprised, on my last trip to SMS there were two girls in the Itchen north openly sitting in the stands drinking bottles of beer at half time, not that far away from the stairs in full view of the stewards who did nothing. If that was a lad have been ejected and banned for 3 years.

Installation of new CCTV technology at St Mary's means the stewards now have the ability to instantly zoom in and look at any fan in the Northam while still monitoring the rest of the stand on a different screen.

Just a heads up if you're considering drinking in your seat or lobbing something on to the pitch as you'll most likely get caught.

Why just the Northam? This is harrassment.

90% in the stand are drinking a bottle of beer or four during the game so what are they going to do with the empties now? We all used to chuck them on the pitch and Sammy Saint picks them up!

How can they tell what you're drinking from zooming in? I doubt anyone with alcohol in the stands is stupid enough to use a can of fosters, they'll put it in a lucozade bottle or something.

Surely if you're drinking a can of UK Fosters you would be safe anyway, there's no rule about drinking **** is there?

You'd be surprised, on my last trip to SMS there were two girls in the Itchen north openly sitting in the stands drinking bottles of beer at half time, not that far away from the stairs in full view of the stewards who did nothing. If that was a lad have been ejected and banned for 3 years.

If they are the two I'm thinking of, it's a brave steward who would take em on.

I've even seen people chucked out the family stand for drinking in their seats. Even at the quietest games there's between 5-10 people ejected, normally for drinking in the seats or smoking in the toilets. I'm not aware of anyone getting thrown out for snorting coke at the match. Therefore I'd suggest it's safer to do illegal drugs at football than legal ones.

Therefore I'd suggest it's safer to do illegal drugs at football than legal ones.

Brings back fond memories of staying in the Corner Post and getting battered instead of going to the match (Branfoot days - it was preferable). Playing pool and eating the infamous cheese and onion rolls while under the influence. Happy days.

Are you allowed to smoke e-cigs in the stands ?

I noticed quite alot of people doing so in the Northam on Saturday when I was sat further back than my normal Northam seat.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be allowed but I'm sure the club / stewards will have some stupid rule (I know they don't allow it under the ground)

When e-cigs first came out I saw stewards stopping people from smoking them in the concourse saying that if others saw the smoke from a distance they'd think it OK to smoke normal cigarettes. Not sure if there is an actual policy though.

Just out of curiosity,what's the policy on E cigarettes in S Mary's.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been stopped by a steward for smoking an e cigarette in the itchen north who took great delight in showing me his rule book stating that e cigerettes are banned inside St Marys

I saw one bloke on his way up the steps to the Northam carrying a bottle of lager at half time in the last home league match, a couple of stewards were all over him for the 2 seconds it took him to realise he was still holding it. I think he'd forgotten he even had it.

I have been stopped by a steward for smoking an e cigarette in the itchen north who took great delight in showing me his rule book stating that e cigerettes are banned inside St Marys

Probably because it's difficult to establish whether they're e-cigarettes or the real thing.

I've even seen people chucked out the family stand for drinking in their seats. Even at the quietest games there's between 5-10 people ejected, normally for drinking in the seats or smoking in the toilets. I'm not aware of anyone getting thrown out for snorting coke at the match. Therefore I'd suggest it's safer to do illegal drugs at football than legal ones.

Are you just making it up? Are there really that many fans who can't go for 45 mins without a drink? If so, they must be borderline alkys. In all my many years watching Saints at the Dell & SMS I have never yet seen anybody drinking alcohol during a match. Let's not make mountains out of molehills.

Are you just making it up? Are there really that many fans who can't go for 45 mins without a drink? If so, they must be borderline alkys. In all my many years watching Saints at the Dell & SMS I have never yet seen anybody drinking alcohol during a match. Let's not make mountains out of molehills.

I doubt he is making it up. Friend of mine used to take a hipflask in during the early seasons at SMS before stewards started tipping the contents away. Going further back, can remember being at Wimbledon v Saints 1997 (lost 1-0 and an awful game) and a big group of the Saints fans were openly drinking cans of Stella in the Arthur Waite stand at Selhurst for most of the game until a half-hearted attempt to confiscate the crate/s late on. Still see people ejected when I go to games - although doubt if it goes as far a ban unless they are repeat offenders.

The most curious thing used to be having an ST in the Kingsland North/Northam corner in the early/mid 00s when WGS was in charge. Every game without fail around the hour mark, a strong smell of cannabis wafted from a few rows up from where we sat, and it wasn't subtle either, it stank.

I got told by the stewards they were illegal in SMS and couldn't smoke e-cigs in the concourse.

On the train home (FGW) last night, a passenger was asked politely to stop smoking an e-cigarette. As a life-long non-smoker, I don't have a problem with them personally and it may help people quit the real thing. Most public places have banned them now pending further research. Colleague of mine used to smoke e-cigarettes in meetings when he was giving up cigarettes a couple of years ago, don't know what the policy is at work these days but probably prohibited.

No. It has happened. Some small part of the problem eminates from our new found standing as a venue for football tourists. Being visited by fans of foreign teams, where drinking in the stands is the norm, has caused a few issues.

On the train home (FGW) last night, a passenger was asked politely to stop smoking an e-cigarette. As a life-long non-smoker, I don't have a problem with them personally and it may help people quit the real thing. Most public places have banned them now pending further research. Colleague of mine used to smoke e-cigarettes in meetings when he was giving up cigarettes a couple of years ago, don't know what the policy is at work these days but probably prohibited.

They smoke them in my office, no one has a problem with them. As far as i am aware aren't they just water vapour and a bit of flavouring?