The Jack Cork appreciation thread

Bad Wolf

Sad to see him go, one of my favourite Saints players since I've been supporting the club.

Always gave 100%, very steady on the ball, a very handy squad player to have but he wanted more than that and fair play to him. Apparently his contract at Swansea is worth less money than what we offered him so he chose playing football regularly over money, fair play again. I'm glad he got a few goals in before he left too.

Shame we've outgrown him slightly now, it's always sad when a player leaves who was part of the previous "era" and his contribution to getting us up and keeping us up that first season won't be forgotten.

My favourite memories of him are his first league goal for us against Newcastle as well as our appalling start in our first season back up. 4 points from the first 10 games I think and joint worst start in PL history, then he came in for his first game in a home game against Swansea ironically and we got a solid 1-1 draw and then our good run started. I don't think it's a mere coincidence that our season dramatically improved when he came into the team.

Wish him all the best at Swansea and hope he gets a good reception at St Mary's next season.

Goodbye and thank you, Jack!

Looking on twitter not a single bad word has been said about him,everyone wishing him well and good luck for the future,he will do well at Swansea and if the money situation is true its refreshing to see someone not completely motivated by $$$$

Thanks for the 150 appearances Jack, good goals and well played....and thankfully cannot play on Sunday. If you appear at the ground I am sure you will get many "well done" and "thanks".

Your injuries, from time to time, simply prevented you keeping your place. You were great to have in the squad - starting or coming on as a sub.

I really liked him as a player and always thought he showed really good composure and maturity. I have no doubts that he will do very well at Swansea and as a fellow Glyn old boy Jack will always have my support. Good luck Jack.

Weird decision. With Morgan probably off in the summer, he would have had loads of game time.

I'm not even sure we'll be able to keep away offers for Wanyama either.

But he wants games now, that's the thing. At the moment, no one can say that he deserves to be in front of Morgan, Wanyama and Davis - no chance. So when they're fit, they will start, every, single week. No arguments. We offered him a contract, so we haven't just flogged him off as some are suggesting. We wanted to keep him, but he wanted regular first team football - Now. Not in 6 months, not in 12 months...he wanted it now, and you have to respect that.

There is absolutely nothing we could have done, apart from starting him in front of Morgan/Wanyama or Davis - which wouldn't have gone down well anywhere.

But he wants games now, that's the thing. At the moment, no one can say that he deserves to be in front of Morgan, Wanyama and Davis - no chance. So when they're fit, they will start, every, single week. No arguments. We offered him a contract, so we haven't just flogged him off as some are suggesting. We wanted to keep him, but he wanted regular first team football - Now. Not in 6 months, not in 12 months...he wanted it now, and you have to respect that.

There is absolutely nothing we could have done, apart from starting him in front of Morgan/Wanyama or Davis - which wouldn't have gone down well anywhere.

Disagree saints could have made him an offer in the summer when he was keen on a new contract. Don't think it's as simple as first team football now but more a lack of faith that he even would get opportunities if others moved on given how many hoops he was made jump through even to get a contract offer.

A shame to see him go as I don't think we've outgrown him as a player at all. As a reliable midfield option to have there are few better. Sadly he wants to be more than that, a regular first team player.

I hope he gets his England call up one day but in a world where Tom Cleverley has more caps than Matt Le Tissier, I very much doubt it. Is he really worse than Henderson or Carrick?

A shame to see him go as I don't think we've outgrown him as a player at all. As a reliable midfield option to have there are few better. Sadly he wants to be more than that, a regular first team player.

I hope he gets his England call up one day but in a world where Tom Cleverley has more caps than Matt Le Tissier, I very much doubt it. Is he really worse than Henderson or Carrick?

Carrick's best days are past him, but he was a class player. Henderson is a good player. Completely agree re Cleverley!!

Sad to see him go, one of my favourite Saints players since I've been supporting the club.

Always gave 100%, very steady on the ball, a very handy squad player to have but he wanted more than that and fair play to him. Apparently his contract at Swansea is worth less money than what we offered him so he chose playing football regularly over money, fair play again. I'm glad he got a few goals in before he left too.

Shame we've outgrown him slightly now, it's always sad when a player leaves who was part of the previous "era" and his contribution to getting us up and keeping us up that first season won't be forgotten.

My favourite memories of him are his first league goal for us against Newcastle as well as our appalling start in our first season back up. 4 points from the first 10 games I think and joint worst start in PL history, then he came in for his first game in a home game against Swansea ironically and we got a solid 1-1 draw and then our good run started. I don't think it's a mere coincidence that our season dramatically improved when he came into the team.

Wish him all the best at Swansea and hope he gets a good reception at St Mary's next season.

Very well said, nothing more to add to that. Good luck Jack.

Can't really add to that. A very good summary, well said sir

Very underrated. Sorry to see him go. Still don't understand why the club wouldn't do more to keep a good, young British player when Morgan is off in the summer. Don't understand why he'd go to Swansea when he'd have got more games next season and European football.

Perhaps because the club will replace both of them, and the fact that with everyone available he's not as good as Wanyama or Morgan who play his position?

Think it's a shame to lose him as he was a very useful part of the squad, but not in the first 11 when everyone fit. He wants a club where he is playing more, so wouldn't sign his new contract. Refreshingly nothing to do with money or prestige, just wants to play football and haven't seen anyone say a bad word about him. Best of luck Jack and if he keeps improving, we may well see him competing with JWP for a place in the England squad.

Disappointed he's left, but understand his reasons.

Always seemed a 'team' player, and a good one to have in the dressing room. Amongst his contributions on the pitch,I think he was an integral part of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gvOhEhD6SQ

Southampton FC - the greatest curling team the (football) world has ever seen.

Wish him well at Swansea.