Red card?

Asaint4ever

The more I see it the less like a red card it looks. The studs were not up and they both had significant momentum as they arrived at the ball. Lot's of emotion from the touchline probably added to it and the fact that the ref. had missed the Costa incident in the Chelsea Man City game so felt he was being heavily scrutinized.

I could accept that as a red if Oliver gave about 8 yellows for other offences in the game that could have warranted them, or if he was capable of seeing the difference between a corner and a goalkick, or even if he could grasp the concept of injury time.

He set his level when he ignored a deliberate handball and several fouls, then he changed it.

Even in the last few mins he failed to book a Swansea player for a poor professional foul.

Inconsistent.

Was shocked to see a red given at the time and watching it back I still don't think it was a red.

Bertrand was tackling to his right-hand side and with his left leg, therefore effectively running parallel with the player - try doing this and keeping your left foot on the floor the entire time. It is extremely difficult! To face forward and swing your left leg around to the right to tackle a ball it means you lose balance and cannot keep the foot down. As a result, Bertrand's boot comes off the top of the ball and into the guy's leg.

Can you tell I think it was slightly harsh?!

Lol at all the experts here who say he deliberately took out the Swansea player. How the **** do you know that? I don't recall Bertrand telling the ref he intended to skim over the ball and take out the player's leg. If not, maybe you are all mind-readers?

Edited by Dark Munster

All the pundits agree it was a red then, and the more I watch it thebmore it looks a red.

He clearly looks to clear him out, and he had plenty of time to time that tackle better, in fact it was so bad he almost missed the ball altogether. Thankfully we have targett who is an able understudy as that was IMO a moment of madness from Ryan

Definite Red card. If this happened against one of our players we'd all agree he should have been sent off. Stupid challenge from Bertrand.

Would be interested to compare everyones thoughts on this versus wes brown from last season - both similar in that the both got a minor piece of the ball first but overall not a good tackle

Not a straight red. Yellow possibly but not definately. Both players went into the challenge full blooded...the other guy lost out, but he was not seriously hurt atall...Ryan hardly touched him actually.

Ref was so inconsistent...he has done a good job protecting the big clubs advantage...hope he got paid well.

I think that it's a borderline yellow/red, and actually don't think there was intent from Bertrand as it looked like he only had eyes for the ball, but it wasn't controlled and he was a tad unlucky that his foot only caught the top of the ball and bounced further up into Barrow's leg.

There is no way in hell a challenge like that deserves a 3 match ban, but I can't see it being rescinded as Oliver is one of the young referee golden boys and he'll be protected after the recent Costa incident. Shame, but a good chance for Targett to show what he can do.

What really annoys me is that, looking at the replay many times over, all I can see is Barrow getting a tap across his shin pad, granted it was at pace, but I highly doubt he was hurt. I'm guessing the stretcher etc was just a ruse to wind time down as much as possible to see out the game.

Not a straight red. Yellow possibly but not definately. Both players went into the challenge full blooded...the other guy lost out, but he was not seriously hurt atall...Ryan hardly touched him actually.

Ref was so inconsistent...he has done a good job protecting the big clubs advantage...hope he got paid well.

I thought the same, but it's highly unlikely he got stretchered off just to carry on the facade...

would be interested in Whitey Grandads's comment? .....(from ref's perspective).

YES - it was a hard tackle, but Bertrand seemed to have his eyes down and won the tackle, and I'm sure it hurt, but the lad did make heavy weather of it. Did he leave SMS on crutches, or in an ambulance? I wonder?

I watched the Swedish TV channel and (apparantly) the lad Barrow had played at a Swedish club (Norrköping), and therefore got a lot of praise that I thought wa sa bit overdone.

Edited by david in sweden

Yellow card no doubt, overreaction from Barrow and Swansea bench got him the red.

I ref U12 games and you see mistimed tackles like this on a regular basis. You would end up 2 v 2 if you kept giving reds for this. Eyes on the ball, one foot planted, slightly mistimed. Looks like Bertrand is actually starting to lean away as he anticipates the Swansea player is coming in recklessly; Barrow's body shape is all wrong for a challenge; he's just flying in. It's correct to say that getting the ball first is not mitigation under the purity of the rules; however, refs usually allow for some leeway when that happens (maybe they shouldn't but they do) and there is little evidence of intent. Surprised the guy was stretchered off? Looks as if Bertrand catches his shin pad! Not sure what angle the ref saw it from and that may have dictated his decision for a red, but yellow at worst for me. Worth appealing. Wenger always does even when the oppo player is cut in half :)

I thought it looked harsh yesterday until I got home and watched the tv replays. It was a clear red. There was no intent to injure Barrow (his eyes were always looking at the ball) but Ryan's gone right over the top of it and taken him out. His heel brushing the top of it does not constitute winning the ball. If it had been one of our lads on the receiving end there'd be plenty of whining on here about it.

That short replay linked above isn't long enough, you needed to see it from a second or two earlier. Watching it initially and on subsequent replay it looked to me that RB was clear favourite to comfortably win the ball. He saw where the opponent was and momentarily slowed. My initial reaction was that if he got there first he'd put it out for a throw but slowed to ensure he played it against the man and out or down the line, so keeping possession. By the time the tackle was committed to it just looked all wrong. Hadn't noticed the previous row with same player, that does put a different perspective on my initial view as to why he may have slowed a bit.

If you just watch the tackle I can see how someone could judge it as a potential red.

The frustrations come from the inconsistency of different refs (Ramirez v Brown) and of Oliver himself within games that he attempts to ref.

IMO in the context of everything that the ref had let go, it was not a red.

I'm not going to bore you with a list but there are approx five occasions in the game when he could have booked Swansea players and didn't.

But the real test of how damaging a tackle that really was will be judged by how many months Barrow spends on the sidelines.

I wish him a speedy recovery.......and I'm curious to see how quick that recovery is.

Who was he arguing with on the touchline? That was before the red card came out, presumably someone did or said something that Ryan didn't like?

Monk, I sit just to the right of the dugout and Monk had a go at him and Bertrand was shouting to Monk that he got the ball or went for the ball. From where I was sitting both players were going hell for leather to reach the loose ball but Bertrand had his eye on the ball the whole time and unfortunately when he slid in for it Barrow came out worse. If Barrow wasn't hurt and just got up it'd have been a yellow or nothing at all. As alluded to earlier on this thread though I watched them having a spat earlier in the game but they made up pretty quickly.

I doubt we'll appeal for fear of the additional ban for frivolous appeal.

Getting the ball is no longer acceptable if you take out everything within a 6 yd radius in doing so. The criteria is apparently that if your tackle is reckless enough to put the physical integrity of an opponent in cause then it's a straight red no matter how much of the ball you get. It was a red because he scythed him down in the aftermath.

Looked a daft challenge and you can see why a red was given. 3 game ban is harsh whatever way you cut it.

Yeah, agree that a 3 game ban is harsh but I suppose it is what it is. It was daft. And an obvious red.

What annoys me is if he wanted to win the ball he would've done it properly, for me, it looks like he has tried harder ensuring barrow feels the follow through which makes him almost miss the ball

Yeah, agree that a 3 game ban is harsh but I suppose it is what it is. It was daft. And an obvious red.

What annoys me is if he wanted to win the ball he would've done it properly, for me, it looks like he has tried harder ensuring barrow feels the follow through which makes him almost miss the ball

And as the ref had seen them going at each other over by the touch line just a few minutes before, the red was an absolute nailed on certainty for that challenge, if they hadn't clashed in an ugly way just before then he might have got away with a yellow.

And as the ref had seen them going at each other over by the touch line just a few minutes before, the red was an absolute nailed on certainty for that challenge, if they hadn't clashed in an ugly way just before then he might have got away with a yellow.

Maybe, I judge it by how Id react to the challenge and Id probably have got up and nutted him

Poor challenge for me, think its known as a leveller

Unfortunately this will see him out of the QPR, West Ham and Liverpool games, he can then play against WBA and Palace and out again for Chelsea away, so only 2 games between now and March 21st when we play Burnley.