Saints and paying the Living Wage.

Repat Saint

Hey all,

Quick post as this is doing the rounds on my FB:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/11/richard-scudamore-premier-league-responsibility-living-wage

In it Scudamore basically comes off as a **** saying he's comfortable with footballers earning £100k+ per week while club employees might be on the minimum wage.

Just wanted to know what people on here think, and would people want to submit a petition to the club to pay at least the living wage - which FYI is:

Living Wage: £7.85p / hour = £314 / week = ~£16.5k / year

vs

Minimum Wage: £6.50 / hour = £260 / week = £10.5k / year

Which I honestly do not think is gonna break the bank or change the amount the club can spend on the pitch. Especially given the whole community spirit and 'more than a club' philosophy the top brass are putting out, I think it would be good for Chelski not to be the only club committed to the Living Wage.

Thoughts?

Hey all,

Quick post as this is doing the rounds on my FB:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/11/richard-scudamore-premier-league-responsibility-living-wage

In it Scudamore basically comes off as a **** saying he's comfortable with footballers earning £100k+ per week while club employees might be on the minimum wage.

Just wanted to know what people on here think, and would people want to submit a petition to the club to pay at least the living wage - which FYI is:

Living Wage: £7.85p / hour = £314 / week = ~£16.5k / year

vs

Minimum Wage: £6.50 / hour = £260 / week = £10.5k / year

Which I honestly do not think is gonna break the bank or change the amount the club can spend on the pitch. Especially given the whole community spirit and 'more than a club' philosophy the top brass are putting out, I think it would be good for Chelski not to be the only club committed to the Living Wage.

Thoughts?

Club should just pay the market value, same as any other job.

Yep, you're right, the annual for Minimum Wage should read:

Minimum Wage: £6.50 / hour = £260 / week = £13.5k / year

And 'Market Value' depends very heavily on your definition. The minimum wage is actually a wage on which people need benefits to survive - ie it is actually BELOW the true market value. Companies that pay the minimum wage are actually using benefits as a government subsidy for their low wages.

And 'Market Value' depends very heavily on your definition. The minimum wage is actually a wage on which people need benefits to survive - ie it is actually BELOW the true market value. Companies that pay the minimum wage are actually using benefits as a government subsidy for their low wages.

There you go - you and me and everyone else paying taxes to SUBSIDISE a wealthy football club. Disgraceful

Says who?

How many people do we employ at this rate? Which roles does it cover? How many actually full time employees?

I emailed the club about whether they pay the living wage a while back. I got a reply that they would 'pass it on to the management' (i.e ignore the email)

Maybe more of us could email en mass? Find out whether we do, and if not start a petition. It's really important people are paid enough to live on and even more so at companies like Southampton who can afford to pay their cleaners £7.85 an hour so they can live with dignity.

Opportunistic nonsense from the lefties. If clubs can attract people to work for that then fair enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hardly think it is left wing to suggest that in a business where some employees earn tens of thousands each week, the Living Wage could be paid at the lower end of the scale. It would just seem a reasonable thing to do...

Yeah me too. I think it's poor to expect grown adults to live on £6.50 per hour. Probably counterproductive for society too. Any extra they earn will just go back into the economy anyway.

The club should pay the living wage, there is no question. With the increase in revenues it is not really on to pay minimum wage, it doesn't matter what the job is. Also, as people have said, with the whole "community club" message being broadcast from St Mary's these days, this would be a big boost to the credibility of that.

Embarrassing that we don't already. And that Chelsea are the only Premier league club that do - can't believe they can claim a moral advantage over us.

Strange too - given the club seems to be very keen on small tweaks to make marginal improvements here and there. This would seem an easy way to get everyone at the club on side.

Think a petition is the least we should do.

I hardly think it is left wing to suggest that in a business where some employees earn tens of thousands each week, the Living Wage could be paid at the lower end of the scale. It would just seem a reasonable thing to do...

Maybe a little tongue in cheek, but the wages of our top start are dictated by supply and demand - no reason to believe we should apply any different down the line.

Maybe a little tongue in cheek, but the wages of our top start are dictated by supply and demand - no reason to believe we should apply any different down the line.

Sure there is. People at the bottom have little or no leverage to negotiate their salaries and, therefore, are subject to being underpaid and exploited. Responsible employers do not do that.

I emailed the club about whether they pay the living wage a while back. I got a reply that they would 'pass it on to the management' (i.e ignore the email)

Maybe more of us could email en mass? Find out whether we do, and if not start a petition. It's really important people are paid enough to live on and even more so at companies like Southampton who can afford to pay their cleaners £7.85 an hour so they can live with dignity.

Probably because the person who read your mail either didn't know or wasn't in a postion to disclose that sort of information hence why it was passed to management. When you grow up and get out in the real world you'll understand this sort of thing a lot better young Andy.

So you need more than 13.5k to avoid death? I think some people have overly grand ideas of what constitutes survival.

Survival is living on the streets. If you're working full time, in this country, you should be able to live a simple life without debt and hardship.

Indeed you should.

But you only are because the government props up pitifully low wages.

Even the Conservative prime minister is calling on employers to raise their pay - not the words of a free marketeer.

Indeed you should.

But you only are because the government props up pitifully low wages.

Even the Conservative prime minister is calling on employers to raise their pay - not the words of a free marketeer.

Apparently you can rent a furnished room with utilities included for £4k a year, you can feed yourself for £1k a year you can clothe yourself for approx £250. You can get a contract mobile phone with a very healthy internet and call allowance for £360 a year. That means give or take a few miscellaneous expenses you're only £7k from the gutter.

I'm sure the SFC balance sheet these days could easily accommodate a living wage without a ripple or an economic red flag.

Actually the corner shop is probably subsidising Tesco by paying taxes to provide in work benefits for Tesco employees.

And you and me subsidising Tesco and others (and possibly SFC) through our taxes by topping up minimum wages to a living income.

With the amount of money coming in from Sky next year they could afford to pay supporters an hourly rate for coming:rolleyes:

That would be an innovative business model. Instead, of selling tickets to home games--hold auditions. Give the tickets to the most vocal, energetic, and supportive fans. Pay bonuses for good cheering and player support.

Have emailed again for follow up. Will report back any findings.

Seriously mate, you're what, 20? Why are you spending your spare time constantly email football clubs questioning their moral stance? Stick a back pack on a go travelling go see so e of the world, take up a martial art or a sport, smash your way through a few dozen young ladies, get out there, enjoy your youth, you've got plenty of time to send emails demanding companies that don't care about you reply to you when you're in your fifties.

Seriously mate, you're what, 20? Why are you spending your spare time constantly email football clubs questioning their moral stance? Stick a back pack on a go travelling go see so e of the world, take up a martial art or a sport, smash your way through a few dozen young ladies, get out there, enjoy your youth, you've got plenty of time to send emails demanding companies that don't care about you reply to you when you're in your fifties.

Could not such advice be also applied to forum posting?

Spot on!

You can still navigate a moral compass and get your end in regularly and see the world.

Can some of you morally correct people start E-Mailing my company and tell them they are not paying me enough?

Are you lot real?

The fact of the matter is these people if indeed they are paid as low as you say actually agreed to work for the renumerance they are given. Before they started they should have negotiated aliving wage or not taken the position.

NB Please tell my company I need a 200% wage increase and annual bonus of 2 months wages Please

He probably doesn't devote that much time to it.

Can some of you morally correct people start E-Mailing my company and tell them they are not paying me enough?

Are you lot real?

The fact of the matter is these people if indeed they are paid as low as you say actually agreed to work for the renumerance they are given. Before they started they should have negotiated aliving wage or not taken the position.

NB Please tell my company I need a 200% wage increase and annual bonus of 2 months wages Please

Has it occurred to you that some of the staff have been employed by the club via the DWP and don't have the 'luxury' of turning down a job offer, even if it is on crap wages. They'll get sanctioned if they refuse.