Hampshire CCC - 2015 Season

Halo Stickman

We're about to see if Notts are any better then, already 3 wickets down this morning and we still need a few to avoid a possible follow on, up to Ervine, Briggs,Adams and Tomlinson to try to avoid that.

question empahtically answered , dont want to come over all billy pessimistic so early but we already look like were struggling against higher class oppo

question empahtically answered , dont want to come over all billy pessimistic so early but we already look like were struggling against higher class oppo

Bowling is obviously insufficient but then it has been for a while now and the batting seems to be impetous and irregular, still 13x 4 day games to go as of yet, this one is lost barring a deluge or something of that ilk.

Match Drawn. Too be honest I think our bowling has done about as well as it could this season. One of our front line bowlers has taken 250 wickets at an average of over 40 & another is 39 years old, so we are never going to blow sides away. Our batting really has to start posting 400 plus scores to give us a chance. I think a lot rests on if Briggs can have a good summer with the ball.

Rain :adore:

I'd agree about our bowling, I think we've already bowled better (in terms of figures, I've not actually seen any of it so far) than I was expecting us to this season. I thought it would be a real struggle, but we seem at least competent.

Current bowling figures:

Smith 1 @ 16.00

Dawson 6 @ 28.50

Berg 10 @ 30.30

Briggs 10 @ 31.40

Tomlinson 11 @ 31.91

Adams 6 @ 42.83

Wood 2 @ 50.50

Ervine 3 @ 65.00

Not completely shabby, considering we probably all felt our bowling was our weaker suit LAST season, let alone this season against better opposition.

Vince just seems to have no patience whatsover, tries to hoick everything "Over the Top Rank". Smith ...well I had him down to guide us through the sticky patches caused by Vince's impetuosity, perhaps he's just over the top now.

Like yesterday, when he was out LB not playing a shot?

Reckless. :mcinnes:

Terry is 24 in August. He didn't play any four day cricket last year due to injury but did ok at the back end of 2013. Don't understand why Carberry is batting 3 rather than opening at the moment.

Reckon Terry will ever be up to it? Does seem odd not to have Carberry opening.

Is there something wrong with our coaching/academy? A few years ago we had Woods and Briggs and Bates and Vince who were all the rage and going to shape the future. For some reason we sacked Bates, the best w'keeper I've seen for Hampshire while Woods and Briggs have not developed as expected and Vince has talent which hasn't matured. I know Bransgrove has thrown in his lot with Pompey but perhaps he needs to have a look at how Saints develop young talent

Stubborn batting from Smith and McManus this morning after Tomlinson and Ervine were out witout overtroubling the scorer. Doubt if we'll make it to the close though, 2 sessions and 70 odd overs are too much to hope for. Top order went too cheaply for that to happen.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Is there something wrong with our coaching/academy? A few years ago we had Woods and Briggs and Bates and Vince who were all the rage and going to shape the future. For some reason we sacked Bates, the best w'keeper I've seen for Hampshire while Woods and Briggs have not developed as expected and Vince has talent which hasn't matured. I know Bransgrove has thrown in his lot with Pompey but perhaps he needs to have a look at how Saints develop young talent

I think it Just goes in phases. I cant think of any decent players we produced from about 93 to 2000. I do admit though the cupboard looks bare at the moment. Suprised Briggs didn't plat this game. If youve got 3 mediocre seamers why pick another one?

I

I think it Just goes in phases. I cant think of any decent players we produced from about 93 to 2000. I do admit though the cupboard looks bare at the moment. Suprised Briggs didn't plat this game. If youve got 3 mediocre seamers why pick another one?

I

I am not commenting on the new crop, if there is one. I am saying that the Briggs, Woods, Vince, Dawson, set who promised so much haven't delivered and the one who excelled - Bates - got the push. Something seriously wrong with the development coaching, sad for them and for the supporters. Too many international 'stars' appearing for a few weeks and taking their place at vital moments, for example.

Another drubbing then. Any positives that we can take from it ?

No, woeful stuff. We don't really look good enough at this level to be honest. In only 1 game have we looked ok, against Warks. In the rest we've always been behind the 8 ball and just trying to survive. Winning any game in div 1 is gonna be a tough ask I'd say. 2 wins max all season IMO

I am not commenting on the new crop, if there is one. I am saying that the Briggs, Woods, Vince, Dawson, set who promised so much haven't delivered and the one who excelled - Bates - got the push. Something seriously wrong with the development coaching, sad for them and for the supporters. Too many international 'stars' appearing for a few weeks and taking their place at vital moments, for example.

Fair enough. I misunderstood what you meant. I agree the Bates Situation is pretty sad. If Bobby Parks was around today he'd probably be playing minor counties..it's crazy. I've still got faith in Vince & Briggs ( spinners often mature around 27 onwards) I think Woods and Daws are pretty good one day players, but sadly not 4 day. Bottom line is as most of us feared we probably are not good enough for Div 1

Excellent start today, Dawson and Adams with some sensible opening batting for a change.

New bowler too..B Wheal, looks like he's been promoted from the Seconds.

edit: Bugger bugger bugger Dawson out caught behind, was hoping for a 100 opening partnership.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Excellent start today, Dawson and Adams with some sensible opening batting for a change.

New bowler too..B Wheal, looks like he's been promoted from the Seconds.

edit: Bugger bugger bugger Dawson out caught behind, was hoping for a 100 opening partnership.

235-4 now. Should be on for 400 plus but equally could be 280 ao knowing Hants.

Seem to be scoring quite slowly but a decent innings for once and shouldnt be immediately on the back foot.

Wheal is the South African seamer who has an EU passport. 18 years old I think and Benkenstein said pre season he is a good prospect.

Bird also bowled in the lunch interval today.

413 all out in the end. The first time we've hit 400 in a First Division first innings since an innings victory at Somerset in September 2011 :lol:

I was fortunate enough to be at Taunton for most of that innings - Adams and Carbs making hay in the sunshine, breaking some sort of record for the second wicket, IIRC. Not enough to prevent us getting relegated a week or so later, though.

Anyway, back to this game - we should have enough runs now not to lose from here, especially with the weather forecast. Hopefully, I'm not going to regret typing that in a day or two.

Early season update

Coach sees Dawson as 1,000 a season run potential and to fit him into the team he will open through the season. Do not see him as a genuine No 5 or the spin bowler. As Carberry does not expect to play for England again he is happy to drop down to 3 to help Dawson.

Briggs has a big future with Hampshire and they appreciate he needs plenty of game time. Wanted to look at 4 seamers for this game to see best 3 going forward.

Brad Wheal seen as a fantastic prospect but has never played a 4 day game before hence being eased in. Good to see him take an early wicket.

Berg now fully fit and is massively grateful to Hampshire for giving him a chance. So far he is not letting that faith down. Good 50 today and a sprinkle of wickets through the early season.

Edwards not fully fit as yet. Game time will help in that respect. Nice early wicket for him though

Bird is about 2 weeks from recovery and has remained in the country. As someone said yesterday he had a lunch time bowl. Berg thinks he is a class player and looking forward to him playing.

Early season update

Coach sees Dawson as 1,000 a season run potential and to fit him into the team he will open through the season. Do not see him as a genuine No 5 or the spin bowler. As Carberry does not expect to play for England again he is happy to drop down to 3 to help Dawson.

Briggs has a big future with Hampshire and they appreciate he needs plenty of game time. Wanted to look at 4 seamers for this game to see best 3 going forward.

Brad Wheal seen as a fantastic prospect but has never played a 4 day game before hence being eased in. Good to see him take an early wicket.

Berg now fully fit and is massively grateful to Hampshire for giving him a chance. So far he is not letting that faith down. Good 50 today and a sprinkle of wickets through the early season.

Edwards not fully fit as yet. Game time will help in that respect. Nice early wicket for him though

Bird is about 2 weeks from recovery and has remained in the country. As someone said yesterday he had a lunch time bowl. Berg thinks he is a class player and looking forward to him playing.

Cheers Weston. Nice to get info from someone close to the team.

I like Dawson's combativeness; I really hope things go well for him opening this season; but, at the moment, still not sure whether it wouldn't be better to have him at five.

It will be interesting to see who makes way for Briggs, especially if Wheal performs well.

The alternative view is that Alex Blake played a genius innings to win the game much to the delight of myself and the other 20 or so Kent fans there last night.

Ha. I'm a Hants fan but I agree. Sometimes you've just got to look at a result and think, bloody hell that's what makes cricket ****ing amazing at times.

I notice Robinson took 6-33 for Sussex today, he's also scored a century this year. He got kicked out of Yorkshire last year cos he was a pain in the arse, he then played for our seconds but we decided against signing him. He's only 21 Hope today is a one off!