The Summer

Junior Mullet

Assume we don't make Europe because currently it looks unlikely. How do we realistically build for next season?

I reckon: Janmaat for Clyne and Classe for Schneiderlin. We need an alternative to Pelle. I would love to keep J Rod and rotate them in the cf role based on form. I'd love to see Berahino join too, for me he's the best natural finisher in the prem since Defo left for Toronto. Keeping Toby must also be a massive priority and I reckon he'll be as interested in knowing the plan for the rest of the team and the seasons ambition as much as anything.

This season has surpassed my expectations already. I'm really looking forward to next season.

How would you look to build over summer??

Assume we don't make Europe because currently it looks unlikely. How do we realistically build for next season?

I reckon: Janmaat for Clyne and Classe for Schneiderlin. We need an alternative to Pelle. I would love to keep J Rod and rotate them in the cf role based on form. I'd love to see Berahino join too, for me he's the best natural finisher in the prem since Defo left for Toronto. Keeping Toby must also be a massive priority and I reckon he'll be as interested in knowing the plan for the rest of the team and the seasons ambition as much as anything.

This season has surpassed my expectations already. I'm really looking forward to next season.

How would you look to build over summer??

I do not understand why making Europe seems unlikely. The top six will almost certainly make Europe. There is a good chance the top seven will make Europe. We are still in fifth place. Why is finishing better than eighth place unlikely?

I do not understand why making Europe seems unlikely. The top six will almost certainly make Europe. There is a good chance the top seven will make Europe. We are still in fifth place. Why is finishing better than eighth place unlikely?

Several players hitting a brick wall in terms of form and / or fitness. Never under estimate the impact that the Premier League has on players. It may not be the best quality wise, but fitness / excitement wise it takes its toll.

Several players hitting a brick wall in terms of form and / or fitness. Never under estimate the impact that the Premier League has on players. It may not be the best quality wise' date=' but fitness / excitement wise it takes its toll.[/quote']

But it's the same for all the other clubs too.

But it's the same for all the other clubs too.

I don't think as many other clubs had as many first team players new to the league. I appreciate this circumstance was brought upon us via the actions of existing players at the start of last summer. But after massively exceeding expectations in the first half of the season, we signed two players on loan in January and both of them didn't start today whilst Pelle, who is struggling, completed 90mins. When you are talking about balance in the squad and a need to use the squad over the course of a season, we've been a bit silly in thinking we could ride Pelle for 9 months.

I hope Pelle regains some form, but I feel sorry for him - he needs a rest and yet we must be the only squad in the league that has one senior striker who can play up top on his own. Crazy! Still an outstanding season of course, but a little disappointing that it may be the smallest of things that costs us significantly. I still am delighted with the season though.

I don't think as many other clubs had as many first team players new to the league. I appreciate this circumstance was brought upon us via the actions of existing players at the start of last summer. But after massively exceeding expectations in the first half of the season, we signed two players on loan in January and both of them didn't start today whilst Pelle, who is struggling, completed 90mins. When you are talking about balance in the squad and a need to use the squad over the course of a season, we've been a bit silly in thinking we could ride Pelle for 9 months.

I hope Pelle regains some form, but I feel sorry for him - he needs a rest and yet we must be the only squad in the league that has one senior striker who can play up top on his own. Crazy! Still an outstanding season of course, but a little disappointing that it may be the smallest of things that costs us significantly. I still am delighted with the season though.

Thanks for the reply. What do you think we shod do over summer? To the later reply, yes I do know def

We don't have to sign dutch players just because of RoKo. Realistically, Schneiderlin and Clyne are off, maybe J Rod. Difficult to say who else. But there should be funds available, and I hope the club are planning on spending them in a similar way. Personally, I would try and get Benteke, he's gone right off the boil and had injury problems, but is a class act. I think he's a realistic option.

Very much doubt Berahino would come here

Plus his attitude is atrocious - he's had several fallings out with his WBA teammates and apparently he's not on speaking terms with a lot of them... will probably end up at Liverpool or Man Utd in the summer.

I think if Clyne goes (which is looking more likely now) we should go in for Trippier as he's a similar type of player, English and still young as well. Burnley would probably only ask for £10-12m for him, which would probably be around half of what we'd get for Clyne.

Obviously the last few weeks have shown our lack of options up front, and reading the papers today it looks like Jovetic is leaving Man City this summer - he'd definitely be worth a cheeky bid. Liverpool apparently interested but he barely plays at City and not sure he'd want to go to Liverpool to be behind Sturridge, Sterling etc when he can be #1 with us (and probably in EL as well). Wages may be an issue but if we end up getting rid of Osvaldo permanently and possibly Ramirez this summer then we can afford them easily.

Schneiderlin is a tricky one, because he's a pretty unique player so I don't think we'll find anyone who can replace him like-for-like. Clasie is probably our best bet, but I think he may lack some of the physicality for the Prem being a short fella - especially in a deep role when our other options in that role are JWP and Davis who are both pretty lightweight. Everyone's favourite Football Manager wonderkid Youri Tielemans is making waves at Anderlecht in a creative midfield role, and although he's only 17 he's become a first-team regular there. Not sure we'd keep him for more than a couple of years given his potential and reputation, but he could develop very well here and give our side something different.

Trippier , Clasie , Austin all sound good. If derby don't go up I'd throw some money at them for Will Hughes, If RoKo is dead set on a big CF that scores 1 in 3 Benteke if Villa goes down . James Milner would be amazing but probably would want too much money.

What happens in the summer will depend largely on what happens between now and the end of the season. Wherever we finish we look resigned to losing Schneiderlin, Clyne, and Toby, in other words our best three players. The Rodriguez situation is unclear, but the noises coming from his 'representatives' suggest he may angle for a move, and Wanyama is going to get some serious attention - so it's crucial that the rot stops and we avoid free fall into mid table, stay in the top six and look competitive. If we finish weakly, and end up between 8-10 it's going to be very difficult to retain quality and attract quality, and it's highly unlikely that perceived targets like Clasie, would fancy it. Like many, I agree that this season has been a wonderful surprise, but I think it's surprised the Saints Board as much as the fans, and we needed to consolidate with a central striker in January (no brainer) to have a chance to really mix it in the top four. So much to play for before we can think about what's going to be another hectic and interesting summer.