Live: U21 s vs Derby on Youtube

Picard

Only saw the 2nd half so missed all the goals but I thought the whole team were outstanding. Who is our number 3? I didn't recognise him, I don't think I've seen him play before but he impressed me. I'd like to pick out a few players to give special mentions to but I'd have to pick the whole team. Great team performance.

Contradicting the first paragraph, I know but I will give a special mention to Sam Gallagher who I watched a couple of weeks ago in the U-18s game against Spurs and he looked so out of sorts and unfit. Massive improvement tonight, looked right up for it.

Gonna try and get to the home leg of the final against Blackburn and hoping to maybe see J-Rod play a part. Who knows but if he's not fit enough to take part in that, it's doubtful he'll be fit enough to play any part in the first team this season.

Great performance from all the lads.

gazza saved a penalty

I thought Gazza looked very self-assured in goal. Looks like this stint in the U21s is doing his confidence levels a world of good. That said, it's still a massive step up from the U21s to the first team from a goalkeeping perspective.

Well done to The Boys and also a big thank you to the backroom staff as well, for continuously producing players who have the confidence and ability to slot in seamlessly into the 1st XI :toppa::adore:

I remember the club stated that the teams at all levels would play the same style as the 1st XI to help this, but one thing seems to have changed to me, and that is the amount of long balls played out by Forster, rather than the keeper rolling out to a defender or deep lying midfielder as per the U21's last night.

As the conveyor belt carries on producing decent squad players, it is worth noting that 6 or 7 of the team last night have been in 1st XI squads or played this season and were missing Harrison Reed and Matt Target away in Switzerland. Also other academy players such as JWP, and the departed Chambers, Luke Shaw and even The Ox could have still qualified for the team last night!!

With the season hopefully not petering out to a nothing ending, few are likely to get a taste of any more Prem League footie as would maybe be the norm. Gape was probably the standout player, but Hesketh showed some Lallanaesque skills and Seagar, Sinclair and Gallagher up front were a continual threat with good movement and passing. Also 3 of the back 4 were from the U18 team!!

The Future is indeed Bright and it is most certainly Red And White.

Also, it was so refreshing to see a game where players got up after crunching tackles rather than rolling around like jessies, and each decision by the ref / linos wasn't greeted by them being surrounding by players contesting each decision. Once again Boys - well done.

Edited by ericofarabia

Will be nice if the 2nd leg of the final is at home, if we are to win this it would be great to lift the trophy in front of our own fans. Will definitely try to go to the home leg , if saints promote the game well I reckon we could get a big crowd in for it

Watched the second half, so missed most of the goal action. However, very impressed with a lot of the movement and the way we were trying to play. I reckon you could bung that team in League One and it'd do well.

Bit disappointed in Seager, lovely finish with his head for the first goal, superb first time finish with his right foot for the second goal, but when he had his tap in for the third he failed to finish with his left foot for a perfect hat-trick! :)

Enjoyable game to watch last night, all the players contributed, Sinclair found lots of space between the lines and the team flow when going forward was a joy to watch. Well done boys.

Looking forward to the final

Watched the second half, so missed most of the goal action. However, very impressed with a lot of the movement and the way we were trying to play. I reckon you could bung that team in League One and it'd do well.

Quality wise they could definitely compete, but physically wise I think they would struggle big time. They already get somewhat physically bullied in a lot of games against physically stronger teams in the U21 league, and we all know League 1 is a bit of a hard slog.

Great cross and great finish.........I know this is only U-21 but when was the last homegrown forward to make the first team??? ........the OX????

Ward-prowse, reed, gape, mccarthy, hesketh, gallagher, mcqueen? All played first team football in the prem. Probably more i'm forgetting. Didn't seager come on for a few minutes this season?

isn't that Gregg Dykes wish?