Sexism in football...

Coxford_lou

Why is "tits" censored in that video? I mean, fair enough this is something that you could argue needs addressing (I think people just need to get over it - "get your tits out for the lads" was chanted at that fat Wednesday fan a few seasons back) but to go so far as to censor the word tits like it's an offensive word? Since when has it been offensive?

"It occurs in stadiums all over the country" I disagree. I've seen many games with Sian Massey officiating and with Eva Carneiro on the pitch and not once heard anything.

I also disagree that those chants are sexist by definition anyway. They're not discriminating against women or claiming that men are better than women. It really is, as the Mansfield chairman sarcastically states, banter. I think one thing we can all agree on though is that the "get your tits out" chant is so old and boring that it barely qualifies as banter anyway.

Edited by Saint_clark

Turn for what, hypo?

Turn to get all up in arms about intolerance in football when in reality it's either one or two idiots or a "humorous" bit of terrace banter. Football has jot got worse at all in this respect (in fact in this country it is miles better) but you wouldn't know that if you just read the media because it's the latest hot topic.

Widespread racism, Sexism and anti semitism does not exist in UK football, no matter how much the UK media wished it did.

Edited by hypochondriac

Turn to get all up in arms about intolerance in football when in reality it's either one or two idiots or a humorous bit of terrace banter. Football has jot got worse at all in this respect (in fact in this country it is miles better) but you wouldn't know that if you just read the media because it's the latest hot topic.

Well yes, except there are now female professionals in the game. That's what makes it different.

Well yes, except there are now female professionals in the game. That's what makes it different.

You will always get chants at the football, just like referee gets called all sorts, ginger players get a bit of banter, short players etc etc. I'm not saying some of the over the top stuff is good but I don't for a minute believe it is as widespread as the media make out.

Part of the problem is the novelty value of having a woman there sort of what the reaction was like when we had the white spray from earlier in the season. If you had a couple of female assistants at a match then I don't think you would get nearly as much because they won't stick out as much. Anyway in conclusion it's not a serious and widespread issue.

The BBC news piece earlier suggested that in future, clubs may take action against fans chanting sexist stuff, including being removed from the ground or a ban. I am not defending it, but thousands of people call the referee a wonker every week without any action, so it would be very odd to be hauled out for shouting get your tits out

The way things are going it wouldn't surprise me if that in ten-fifteen years time Saints fans at St Mary's

will only be allowed to quietly say "Come along Southampton please play a bit better". By then I suspect

that all shouting will have been banned.That of course depends on fans even still being allowed at matches

in case they offend anyone.

Just a thought but how much longer will the wearing of Club colours be allowed? Seeing thousands of others

wearing different colours to the much smaller number of away fans might be looked on as being very intimidating

and threatening to said away fans and therefore be against the away fans human rights.

Edited by Saint in Paradise

It has changed. Whilst calling the ref a cnt (not proud) at the Liverpool game I was shot a filthy look by a woman who looked round understandably disapprovingly. I did think fair enough but also on reflection how sanitised it is all becoming.

Clamping down on sexism as if it is an issue is just ridiculous.

The BBC news piece earlier suggested that in future, clubs may take action against fans chanting sexist stuff, including being removed from the ground or a ban. I am not defending it, but thousands of people call the referee a wonker every week without any action, so it would be very odd to be hauled out for shouting get your tits out

I'm kind of on the fence on this issue, as it's pretty complex (though good to have the debate which is why I've posted the link) but there is a difference between shouting abuse at a ref when he c*cks up. And shouting abuse at someone just because they are female and because they are there. And it's very easy to dismiss that abuse as 'banter'.

It has changed. Whilst calling the ref a cnt (not proud) at the Liverpool game I was shot a filthy look by a woman who looked round understandably disapprovingly. I did think fair enough but also on reflection how sanitised it is all becoming.

That's a whole different issue and nothing to do with this topic, Whelk.

I wouldn't call you a c*nt for shouting at the ref, but I would if you booed a Saints player. Be you'd be giving me a filthy look back!

I'm kind of on the fence on this issue, as it's pretty complex (though good to have the debate which is why I've posted the link) but there is a difference between shouting abuse at a ref when he c*cks up. And shouting abuse at someone just because they are female and because they are there. And it's very easy to dismiss that abuse as 'banter'.

Or fat and they're there. Bad examples of this at Sheffield Utd away, felt pretty embarrassed as some fans in front of us went on and on at a Sheff Utd fan.

I myself have witnessed discrimination first hand at football and ashamed to say I didn't report, Turkish screaming with his hate filled eyes at MK Dons left back "you look like a wotsit"

Fair points. Peer pressure would be the answer, which will come only if most agree its out of order. How we get there is another thing. Personally I have never heard any though

That really annoys me - someone did the same to me last season, so I just pointed to the family end of the ground and requested they sit there in future (I was in block 3). It is football, it is where many people go to catch up with mates, enjoy a beer, support their team and let go a bit.

This whole article shows how out of touch the FA are as well. If they want people to stop singing get your tits out, then they need to ban female staff at clubs from doing this (Eva Carneiro); http://i.imgur.com/T2oXswj.jpg or this; http://spelersvrouw.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Eva-Carneiro-1.jpg

That really annoys me - someone did the same to me last season, so I just pointed to the family end of the ground and requested they sit there in future (I was in block 3). It is football, it is where many people go to catch up with mates, enjoy a beer, support their team and let go a bit.

This whole article shows how out of touch the FA are as well. If they want people to stop singing get your tits out, then they need to ban female staff at clubs from doing this (Eva Carneiro); http://i.imgur.com/T2oXswj.jpg or this; http://spelersvrouw.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Eva-Carneiro-1.jpg

Well this thread has taken an unexpected upturn.

This whole article shows how out of touch the FA are as well. If they want people to stop singing get your tits out, then they need to ban female staff at clubs from doing this (Eva Carneiro)

Why? Are we going to ban Beckham stripping off to his pants? What's one thing got to do with another? So because she wants to do so beautiful photographs that means it's OK to disrespect her in her role as a professional doctor? If I put photos on facebook of myself in my bikini, that will make it OK for people to shout at me to get my tits out when I'm at work? Please explain so I know how to behave in the future.

That's a whole different issue and nothing to do with this topic, Whelk.

I wouldn't call you a c*nt for shouting at the ref, but I would if you booed a Saints player. Be you'd be giving me a filthy look back!

It does have something to do with it. What is acceptable in a 'cauldron' of a football ground that has been traditionally made of working class men.

Mind some pr1ck behind me shouted abuse at Tim Howard regarding his Tourettes. Talk is cheap but he was a few rows back but if he said it again I was going to call him a cnt and to shut the fck up

It does have something to do with it. What is acceptable in a 'cauldron' of a football ground that has been traditionally made of working class men.

Mind some pr1ck behind me shouted abuse at Tim Howard regarding his Tourettes. Talk is cheap but he was a few rows back but if he said it again I was going to call him a cnt and to shut the fck up

But I'm a woman. I don't have an issue with swearing. This has nothing to do with sexism, you c*nt. ;)

But I'm a woman. I don't have an issue with swearing. This has nothing to do with sexism, you c*nt. ;)

So where does your regulation stop? And start - what if someone shouts you ****ing whore at a male ref? Or a female linesmen? Is it to be dealt with differently?

Why? Are we going to ban Beckham stripping off to his pants? What's one thing got to do with another? So because she wants to do so beautiful photographs that means it's OK to disrespect her in her role as a professional doctor? If I put photos on facebook of myself in my bikini, that will make it OK for people to shout at me to get my tits out when I'm at work? Please explain so I know how to behave in the future.

Oh do come on, it's not rocket science is it? Woman poses in underwear (for a specific target audience) and some of said target audience are at a match where she appears in the main arena, some tipsy chanting starts, more people join in.

Wendy Toms used to run the line at the Dell for many years, she was popular and the home crowd were good to her (i.e. just the usual 'abuse' for getting it wrong, but actually she was one of the better Linesman).

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Being sexist has nothing to do with whether or not you use swear words.

No but women wanting to go in a traditional male environment and then getting upset by the behaviour is the point. If you were to join a rugby club and then get offended by the sexist songs sung by the rugger boys on the coach would you say you have right not to be offended so they must stop?

Oh do come on, it's not rocket science is it? Woman poses in said underwear (for a specific target audience) and some of said target audience are at a match where she appears in the main arena, some tipsy chanting starts, more people join in.

You make it sound so nice - tipsy chanting. But we're not discussing 'nice', we're discussing 'demeaning'.

And I still don't understand why. Why would Eva doing something that is beautiful and that everyone likes, make people want to belittle her when she's in her professional capacity? What is the flow of thought that takes you from one place to the other? Everyone seems to like her, I think? Or do you not? Do the photos make you lose respect for her? Or is this just crude flirtation that guys think she secretly likes? I'm genuinely confused!

I'm struggling to understand because I wouldn't follow the same thought process after seeing David Beckham in his undies. It wouldn't compel me to shout 'get your f*cking c*ck out'. It would make me think - hot guy, family guy, talented footballer. I'd gain respect.

Help me understand the male brain... I'm not trying to catch you out, I just want to understand on a deeper level than just 'what do you expect?'