Morgan's double money offer

lambjo1976

Would be interesting to see if this is the highest salary offer Morgan gets. Yes, other clubs can play more but, if they don't offer as much, especially after being a large transfer fee, I wonder if that would be a temptation for him to stay?

Personally, I get the impression it's as much about playing top European football for Morgan but who knows!

Even if it's true, he will be gone. As much as we might want to convince ourselves, he won't be here next season. He deserves a big move anyway

Agree. He's reaching the peak of his career and has been a superb servant to the club. We aren't showing the the right level of intent to get into the top four this or next season (e.g. no top 4/champ league quality striker) as, quite rightly for our size of club, we have a longer term plan. Morgan's talent needs to be on that stage now.

Even if it's true, he will be gone. As much as we might want to convince ourselves, he won't be here next season. He deserves a big move anyway

You're probably right, and who could begrudge him a move to a Champs League Club. He has served this Club well and is surely the only survivor of those L1 days. I just hold a fraction of hope he stays, but it's really his time to move on.

Deserves? Not the right word as it implies a sense of entitlement. While the players might feel entitled to this or that, that really isn't how things work.

Agree. He's reaching the peak of his career and has been a superb servant to the club. We aren't showing the the right level of intent to get into the top four this or next season (e.g. no top 4/champ league quality striker) as, quite rightly for our size of club, we have a longer term plan. Morgan's talent needs to be on that stage now.

WTF are you on about? To start with I thought it might be sarcasm, but then looking at your past posts, it's all negative ballcocks to such an extent that I presume you are a WUM troll who doesn't support Saints. What are you - Pompey?

You're probably right, and who could begrudge him a move to a Champs League Club. He has served this Club well and is only survivor of those L1 days. I just hold a fraction of hope he stays, but it's really his time to move on.

You forgot our captains.

I hope he stays but don't think he will. We would be stupid if we didn't try though.

Like several others said a reasonable release clause plus more money might get us another year.

Don't understand why people keep saying this, what a crap attitude to have, I suppose we should know our place in the football hierarchy as well and if we get too high up the league throw a few games so we can slot in to our rightful place. Whilst we're at it I'm only an average looking bloke maybe if I get a good looking girlfriend I should let her go off with a better looking guy as she's done her duty and deserves better now.

Don't understand why people keep saying this, what a crap attitude to have, I suppose we should know our place in the football hierarchy as well and if we get too high up the league throw a few games so we can slot in to our rightful place. Whilst we're at it I'm only an average looking bloke maybe if I get a good looking girlfriend I should let her go off with a better looking guy as she's done her duty and deserves better now.

Come on mate let's be realistic about it. We can only keep certain players up to a point. Most have accepted that Morgan and Clyne are off in the summer but most also hope that we can find similar success with their replacements like last summer. That's just the way football works now.

Come on mate let's be realistic about it. We can only keep certain players up to a point. Most have accepted that Morgan and Clyne are off in the summer but most also hope that we can find similar success with their replacements like last summer. That's just the way football works now.

I accept it totally and know the players wont be here next season, it's just this attitude of he deserves better than us I don't like

What about the FFP that people on here go on about?

According to FM 2015, he is making 34K per week. Doubling that would cost an additional 1.8 million a year. This would make him our highest paid player. That can easily be covered by this year's trading profits and still keep the club well under the salary cap.

We can afford to pay a few players high wages--just not as high as the bigger clubs and we cannot pay everyone those kind of wages. Just to illustrate FM 2015 says that Manchester United has 17 players on their roster making more than Schneiderlin would be making if Southampton doubled his salary. This includes, by the way, Luke Shaw whom they believe is making 110K per week. Arsenal has 14 players making more--yet Arsenal's salaries as a whole are much lower than Manchester United, but I digress.

My point is that FFP does not stop us from signing Schneiderlin, Clyne, and Alderweireld to big contracts--we just can't sign everyone to big contracts. And if we can afford to pay Schneiderlin an additional 1.8 million a year, Arsenal can afford to pay him an additional 1.8 million a year beyond that and Manchester United can afford another 1.8 million on top of that.

According to FM 2015, he is making 34K per week. Doubling that would cost an additional 1.8 million a year. This would make him our highest paid player. That can easily be covered by this year's trading profits and still keep the club well under the salary cap.

We can afford to pay a few players high wages--just not as high as the bigger clubs and we cannot pay everyone those kind of wages. Just to illustrate FM 2015 says that Manchester United has 17 players on their roster making more than Schneiderlin would be making if Southampton doubled his salary. This includes, by the way, Luke Shaw whom they believe is making 110K per week. Arsenal has 14 players making more--yet Arsenal's salaries as a whole are much lower than Manchester United, but I digress.

My point is that FFP does not stop us from signing Schneiderlin, Clyne, and Alderweireld to big contracts--we just can't sign everyone to big contracts. And if we can afford to pay Schneiderlin an additional 1.8 million a year, Arsenal can afford to pay him an additional 1.8 million a year beyond that and Manchester United can afford another 1.8 million on top of that.

Interesting facts - but bad news :rolleyes:

I accept it totally and know the players wont be here next season, it's just this attitude of he deserves better than us I don't like

Well tbf if he moves to a massive club then he is pretty much guaranteed to win a trophy. I think what someone means by that is he deserves to be somewhere with other world class players where he will win multiple trophies. That probably isn't going to happen here sadly so I would be inclined to agree

get top four and it will be a very tough choice to leave in the summer, but he doesn't have to sign a new contract as the current one extends beyond the summer. He can walk for free when the time comes and we could nothing about it.

Not having a transfer fee to pay means our offer should in theory be higher than the buying club, but then again the likes of Man City etc. have so much more money we can't really compete should they want him.

There is another aspect about this that doesn't get mentioned on here and that is 'fame' in the way that everyone in the world knows of and instantly recognises Ronaldo, Messi, Fabregas or Iniesta. Maybe that is a higher goal for very gifted players who have amassed more money than they could ever spend. Fame must be a factor in even being considered for e.g. high level awards of FIFA such as Player of the Year. Maybe Morgan would like to be household name around the world and not just in Northam.

£30m release clause is far too reasonable. He's a £30m player easily given his quality, experience and age. If he signed a new contract I think clubs would need to pay a bit more.

Just a shame Clyne is going to go cheap.

I think you'll find he came to us in exactly those circumstances. I have no problem with a player who keeps their head down and mouth shut for the duration of their contract. If they outgrow us in that time then that's fair enough. It's the w@nkers that sign four year deals and then moan and force a move at the end of year one.

£30m release clause is far too reasonable. He's a £30m player easily given his quality, experience and age. If he signed a new contract I think clubs would need to pay a bit more.

I can't really think of a precedent where more than £30m was paid to a club of our size for a midfielder of his age though. Appreciate things outside a players ability impact the fee but I just can't see us getting more than £30m for him, and even that would be stretching it.

Then again 60K a week (as reported) isn't at the races for a 30 million £ player.

What has happened to all the additional money that we got for being in the BPL this year and next year, especially as a lot of this year's wages were meant to be paid out of the additional revenue gained from transfer fee received.

I can't really think of a precedent where more than £30m was paid to a club of our size for a midfielder of his age though. Appreciate things outside a players ability impact the fee but I just can't see us getting more than £30m for him' date=' and even that would be stretching it.[/quote']

Youre forgetting the saintsweb saints player premium whereby every player we have is worth at least twice as much as the worlds most expensive player in that position.

Everton kept Baines, Coleman and Barkley, and signed Lukaku.

Why is it beyond us to keep Morgan?

Not really like for like. Baines is in his 30s now so hardly the long term solution for left backs at any of the big clubs and is he really that good anyway? He's decent but not great. Same goes for Coleman, a competent full back and good for a club outside the top 4 or 5 but top 4 standard? I think not. Barclay will inevitably leave, but despite the hype again I'm far from convinced he's going to live up to his billing. He clearly has some talent but how many times have we said that before about young English players and thy fade into obscurity. Again when you look at the very top clubs is he as good as what they have already? You'd have to say not. Morgan however would instantly improve arsenal and man United and is easily good enough for a top club in any top league. He is already a class act, I'd be amazed if he is a saints player at the start of next season simply because he is better than the level we are at.

Not really like for like. Baines is in his 30s now so hardly the long term solution for left backs at any of the big clubs and is he really that good anyway? He's decent but not great. Same goes for Coleman, a competent full back and good for a club outside the top 4 or 5 but top 4 standard? I think not. Barclay will inevitably leave, but despite the hype again I'm far from convinced he's going to live up to his billing. He clearly has some talent but how many times have we said that before about young English players and thy fade into obscurity. Again when you look at the very top clubs is he as good as what they have already? You'd have to say not. Morgan however would instantly improve arsenal and man United and is easily good enough for a top club in any top league. He is already a class act, I'd be amazed if he is a saints player at the start of next season simply because he is better than the level we are at.

Totally agree. Arguably improve LFC and Man City as well. He's a Champs League player who wants to play for his country who has a manager who only (normally) picks Champs League players. I get the feeling from his interviews and performances that he wants Champs League for Saints as much as anyone, perhaps more. I don't believe he'll stay even if we did, but after the Summer, what a turnaround for him and nobody can begrudge him a move to one of the top teams in Europe.

He's watching former team mates get paid probably double what he is and sitting on the bench. Actually think he's improved again this year. Not as worried as I was in the Summer with Reed and the money we'll get for him. He may have fallen in love with the club again but he can't turn down the offers he'll get this summer. I don't think we can afford to either if we want to be self sustaining and keep up with top 7. Has to be £25-30mil starting though, surely?

Is it? Is it really?

I think so. Those players stayed (or signed) on following last season where Everton nearly qualified for the Champions League and where they had to think they were progressing. It does not look that way right now so Everton potentially faces a tough summer. Their annual revenue is greater than ours but not by that much--120.5 million pounds versus 97.3 million pounds according to Deloitte's money list (I think Deloitte's estimate of our income will be a little bit low whereas they are using Everton's actual numbers). However, Everton's wages last year were about 20 million pounds higher than ours so they don't have much room to maneuver especially since their net transfer spend this summer was greater than our net transfer profit. Everton did sign a significantly increased sponsorship deal for this year and will have Europa League prize money to make up for the drop in their Premier League revenue, but over all they do not have lots of spare money. So, yes I think it is a real question whether they can hold onto all four of the big name players--or whether they will even want to. They might prefer to take a profit on Coleman or Barkley this summer.

I think we can all agree they will have trouble holding onto those players if they get relegated which is still possible, if not very likely.

I suppose whether it is "The" real question depends on what you mean by "the".

I think so. Those players stayed (or signed) on following last season where Everton nearly qualified for the Champions League and where they had to think they were progressing. It does not look that way right now so Everton potentially faces a tough summer. Their annual revenue is greater than ours but not by that much--120.5 million pounds versus 97.3 million pounds according to Deloitte's money list (I think Deloitte's estimate of our income will be a little bit low whereas they are using Everton's actual numbers). However, Everton's wages last year were about 20 million pounds higher than ours so they don't have much room to maneuver especially since their net transfer spend this summer was greater than our net transfer profit. Everton did sign a significantly increased sponsorship deal for this year and will have Europa League prize money to make up for the drop in their Premier League revenue, but over all they do not have lots of spare money. So, yes I think it is a real question whether they can hold onto all four of the big name players--or whether they will even want to. They might prefer to take a profit on Coleman or Barkley this summer.

I think we can all agree they will have trouble holding onto those players if they get relegated which is still possible, if not very likely.

I suppose whether it is "The" real question depends on what you mean by "the".

Everton are doing crap in the league but having a great season in Europe. They could get into the Champions League and this could go down as there best season in years. The Europa is worth worrying about now.

They should get into the quarters with no trouble and I would fancy them against most teams - Roma and Wolfsberg are obviously very good teams but so are Everton on their day.

Everton are doing crap in the league but having a great season in Europe. They could get into the Champions League and this could go down as there best season in years. The Europa is worth worrying about now.

They should get into the quarters with no trouble and I would fancy them against most teams - Roma and Wolfsberg are obviously very good teams but so are Everton on their day.

It is true that winning Europa and not get relegated turns Everton's season into a very, very good one. But if they do not win the Europa League they are out of Europe next year and they do not have the money to offer salaries comparable to Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, or even Tottenham. In terms of available cash they may have less than we do. But there is no way to know in advance what will happen to them this summer. If I were an Everton fan, I would not be too confident.