Players spitting at another

Batman

7 game ban for doing this

Many ex players on the radio today saying that spitting at another player is the lowest/worst thing a player can do on the field

It was like they all wanted to show everyone how outraged they were.

Of course spitting is disgusting. But really "the worst thing ever"??!!

Many ex players on the radio today saying that spitting at another player is the lowest/worst thing a player can do on the field

Spitting is filthy but people do seem to get very, very precious about it

I agree with the Paris Angel

Some little sh1te spat in my face in Sunday morning game. Seconds later completely did him two footed wrap round tackle and he was flattened and had to be helped off. Actually became mates after that as came up against him in many future games.

Tis disgusting obviously but tbh rather he'd down that than snapped my leg

Its bloody disgusting, and Id probably chin anyone that did it to me tbh

Though, is it worse than a blatant knee high challenge ?

Having had a fairly eventful last couple of seasons at County level involving being headbutted twice, stamped on and punched off the ball, as well as having my knee ligaments and knee cartilage ruined by the kind of tackle whelk mentioned dishing out above, I can confirm I would much rather get spat at, disgusting though it is.

Having had a fairly eventful last couple of seasons at County level involving being headbutted twice, stamped on and punched off the ball, as well as having my knee ligaments and knee cartilage ruined by the kind of tackle whelk mentioned dishing out above, I can confirm I would much rather get spat at, disgusting though it is.

County level unfortunately is still reffed by some pretty terrible referees. I remember being booked for a perfectly valid challenge as 'apparantly' I showed a bit too much intent, I wasnt the only booking, there were around 8-10 I think aswell as a couple of reds. Even the opposition didnt understand it and agreed it wasnt even a foul.

But I agree, Ive had my fair share of injuries, and being spat at doesnt last as long

I only had to read the title to click off that. The last IFC game ended with an opponent getting a broken leg, that was an accident but it's still miles worse than spitting, which is less serious than punching someone but more serious than a 3 match ban for shoving someone in the face, if you ask me.

County level unfortunately is still reffed by some pretty terrible referees. I remember being booked for a perfectly valid challenge as 'apparantly' I showed a bit too much intent, I wasnt the only booking, there were around 8-10 I think aswell as a couple of reds. Even the opposition didnt understand it and agreed it wasnt even a foul.

But I agree, Ive had my fair share of injuries, and being spat at doesnt last as long

I got booked once for a sliding block of a pass which never came, because the guy decided to jump in the air to avoid me, despite me being 4 yards away from him at the time, and fell over. Same ref also booked me for dissent one time in a Sunday match when I was chatting to a defender about the fact we should have had a corner as the ball came off him. The ref just decided that was dissent, even though I didn't even speak to him and the defender was agreeing with me.

Mind you the same guy also sent off a team mate of mine for taking a free kick too quickly and then arguing with him about it afterwards. I think he had it in for me, not undermined by him blowing the final whistle once when I was in the box with the ball at my feet - though it would have been my 10th goal of the match, so it wasn't exactly critical. That one was a (Gwent) County game too.

The scary thing was that he was in his 70s at the time and last I heard he was still going. :o

A work colleague of mine refs national youth matches and twice in the past few weeks I've had to educate him on changes to the laws from years ago that he was completely unaware of (notably being able to score direct from a kick off and not having to roll the ball its circumference any more, changed around 1997).

But yeah, they're all capable of missing dirty off the ball stuff, also had my nose broken by a flagrant, deliberate (apparently as I didn't see it coming) leading elbow and the ref gave a free kick but didn't ok the guy.

Edited by The9

It a nasty thing to do. Whilst it doesn't have any lasting effect, it is a hugely inflammatory action, in which the recipient of the gobbing usually wants to knock seven bells out of the offender.

anyone remember Rudy Vollers reaction when rickard got him?

So it's 7 games, so what, it's not like it's a difficult punishment to avoid.

I think as punishment the spitter should stand in front of several chain smoking guys with bad chest infections and be spat upon for several minutes and then have to roll about in a heap of pubic hair. All done infront of the offenders home crowd.

This punishment is known as Tarred in Pubic.

red card YES ...and how many banned games, I wonder ?

I always think a " mere " 3 match ban cannot be regarded as " real punishment " if it keeps the injured player out for a year.......

The injured player was forced to retire aged 25, personally that sort of tackle deserves GBH jail time as you cannot tell me that he couldnt control his tackle to stop his leg hitting him mid shin. Ive tackled a lot in my time, and never had an issue keeping my feet down. Its dispicable.

Many years ago I got sent off at County level for arguing with a Ref. The keeper took a free kick four yards in side the box. I stood well out side the D.Keeper takes kick,toes the turf and ball rolls out to me.I side foot it back into the net and the Ref says no goal and let the keeper take the kick again. I asked Ref why and he told me 'I'm the Referee and what I say goes' I argued that may be your opinion oppo but I just scored a legitimate goal. He sent me off.

Edited by hasper57saint
Mis spelt word

Spitting is a muggy thing to do but the punishment is ridiculously disproportionate - even more so when you consider that it and similar off the ball incidents, insofar as they occur outside the ref's view, can be retrospectively punished whereas most horror tackles can't. Reminded of McManaman's challenge on Haidara a couple of seasons ago. Ditto with Barnes on Matic. Both walked away scot-free.

Edited by shurlock

I agree it seems disproportionately managed but I suppose it's the lack of ambiguity that makes it such a flagrant and unedifying offence.

Now, let's see if a Man U player gets a lengthy ban (should be increased for a frivolous appeal IMO)....

Typically today, was subjected to a shin high challenge which resulted in a bit of a flair up, that only got a free kick for and that shattered by shin pad (they were old), thankfully my foot wasnt planted.

Then the ref went on to book two of their players for leaving the field without permission and one for taking his shirt off. I questioned the ref after, which made matters worse as he admitted he got it wrong and should've sent him off !!

Neville made me laugh on motd acting like it was the worst thing ever.......seems to have forgotten his team mate (Keane) deliberately ending Haalands career, and then pretty much saying he'd do it again in his book!

I'm glad that they got 6 and 7 game bans for this disgusting act !

You don't see much of this behaviour and the long bans may be a contributory factor, so the system seems to be working fairly well !

Comparing with nasty tackles is not 'like for like' as the degree of intent and premeditation is often unknown, sometimes it is just mistimed and unfortunate so is open to interpretation !

Not saying that bad tackles are acceptable, just that they are all different and should be judged (later, if necessary) on the merits of each case !

Spitting is disgusting and needs to be removed from the game. I agree that 6 or 7 games in excessive but maybe that is what is needed to send out the message that it is not tolerated.

Ok, it wont break your leg or end your career (unless the spitter has Ebola) but it is nothing to do with the game. Tackles are and sometimes a slightly mistimed tackle can do damage. The ref has to work out what was intentional and what wasn't. If you spit at someone you know what you are doing and it takes things to a whole different level. Physical contact is one thing, exchanging bodily fluids another.

Spitting is disgusting and needs to be removed from the game. I agree that 6 or 7 games in excessive but maybe that is what is needed to send out the message that it is not tolerated.

Ok, it wont break your leg or end your career (unless the spitter has Ebola) but it is nothing to do with the game. Tackles are and sometimes a slightly mistimed tackle can do damage. The ref has to work out what was intentional and what wasn't. If you spit at someone you know what you are doing and it takes things to a whole different level. Physical contact is one thing, exchanging bodily fluids another.

I thin the reason the players got lengthy band is because whilst many folks think of spitting as just disgusting, it can and does spread serious illness.

We have in Cardiff, a policy of treating all incidents where someone spits at a bus driver as assault. The football authorities clearly see it as serious.

I remember reading that Joe Strummer of The Clash contracted Hepatitis from the old punk habit of spitting at the band in the late 70s.

I was going to bring up the Saints vs Liverpool League Cup semi-final myself.

As a rider to this story though, the spitting came about because every time the Liverpool players trotted into the penalty box for a corner they gobbed on Shilton. Everyone at the Archer's End (I think) could see it but the referee choose to ignore it because he'd have to send off about five Liverpool 'stars' for starters.

My injuries at local level football include - broken nose (accidental), several broken figures but worst of all a smashed arm done deliberately as I came to the edge of the area to collect a through ball. The player laughed, the referee gave nothing and I played on and tried to drive to the Refinery the next day for work but had to turn around and go to the doctors. I was nine weeks in plaster - the referee saw me ata cup final a few weeks later and said 'oh you did break your arm then'. I walked away.

Oh and I was punched hard in the face twice by the same player at the same corner for previous beating his team mate to a bouncing ball and punching it away, no heavy contact or anything, just apparently for stopping him scoring. As kids we were threatened to be knifed after the match during a game because we were better than them and came back from 4-1 down - at the time we thought it was genuine too.

I've been booked twice for politely questioning the position of a free-kick and about a violent player who was kicking everyone in the air and whether he should be dealt with.

To be honest we've all seen crazy, potentially leg braking tackles and other violent play over the years but strangely spitting is still considered the one big, disgusting taboo.

On that note I vividly recall a Saints game at Wolves in March 1966. The spitting incident involved Dave Webb and the late Derek Dougan...it was played out infront of the Saints away support when the two players stood toe to toe after a typically tough exchange. Dougan spat directly in Webb's face...the Saints crowd went mad but Webb did nothing, the ref did likewise.

Dougan went on to be an outspoken chairman of the PFA but I know there were many Saints fans who held him in contempt from that day onwards.

One of the lads I play with this year was banned for a "spitting incident" this season, and was duly banned for 6 games. However there was no proof and he actually blew a kiss at the bloke. However the referee saw it as a spitting incident, therefore that's what went in the match report...

Can't appeal those at our level. but it seems 6 games is the minimum ban

One of the lads I play with this year was banned for a "spitting incident" this season, and was duly banned for 6 games. However there was no proof and he actually blew a kiss at the bloke. However the referee saw it as a spitting incident, therefore that's what went in the match report...

Can't appeal those at our level. but it seems 6 games is the minimum ban

FIFA directive, just like yellow card for shirt-tugging and going into the crowd and taking your shirt off and...

FIFA directive, just like yellow card for shirt-tugging and going into the crowd and taking your shirt off and...

Bear in mind that this is Sunday league!

What I'd like to know is.. Could you be booked coming off the pitch, taking your shirt off to give to the player coming on... (whilst also going into the crowd, hence a red card?!)

Bear in mind that this is Sunday league!

What I'd like to know is.. Could you be booked coming off the pitch, taking your shirt off to give to the player coming on... (whilst also going into the crowd, hence a red card?!)

A crowd in Sunday League? I've never seen one ;)

The shirt and crowd things are in celebration of a goal so I don't think it's likely that you'd be punished. You shouldn't leave the pitch without the referee's permision anyway so as long as you'd cleared it with him or her then you'll be ok.