Toby

washsaint

So why the delay by us in making this move?

Can only guess that Saints were aware of the deadline so didn't bid to take up to option before June 30, as that would probably have prompted immediate buy -out of the option in time.

Interesting whether there is also a deadline for Saints exercising their right to buy: if so, assume it must be later to be within the transfer window, and hasn't passed.

By waiting until after 30 June to make the transfer permanent, Saints have the insurance that it's too late for AM to revoke the clause.

Spurs interest confuses the issue. Did they know of the deadline? Probably not or they would have pushed AM to cancel the Saints deal in time. So were Saints playing it very cool waiting for the deadline rather than competing? If the option had been cancelled in time, they could have fought it out. But isn't this the shrewd way?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Strange behaviour from AM. You'd think they would be happy to entertain as many bids as possible for Toby, yet if the media outlets are to be believed they appear to want him to go to Spurs without giving us an option to at least match the bid or even enter into talks.

Can only guess that Saints were aware of the deadline so didn't bid to take up to option before June 30, as that would probably have prompted immediate buy -out of the option in time.

Interesting whether there is also a deadline for Saints exercising their right to buy: if so, assume it must be later to be within the transfer window, and hasn't passed.

By waiting until after 30 June to make the transfer permanent, Saints have the insurance that it's too late for AM to revoke the clause.

Spurs interest confuses the issue. Did they know of the deadline? Probably not or they would have pushed AM to cancel the Saints deal in time. So were Saints playing it very cool waiting for the deadline rather than competing? If the option had been cancelled in time, they could have fought it out. But isn't this the shrewd way?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

This is what i think has happened, i think we have kept quite waiting till the agreement was canceled by AM but they have failed to do so. if this is the case then i cant see how AM can stop the contract now and will be forced to sell him for 6.8 million by Uafa, Spanish Fa and English FA, if AM fail to keep the agreement i cant see how English FA can allow Spurs to sign Toby.

May even have been a problem due to it being lost in translation between Spanish and English.

I was going to say that sounds like a likely cause of any problems. I would assume, however, that the contract probably had a provision that one language's version was the official one.

poor show on both parts if something like that was open to be lost in translation

That is why one language should be designated as governing.

I'm sure we will have had the paperwork checked by our Lawyers before going public with this.

Still hard to see how it will be enforced though.

I know nothing about the relevant procedures in Spanish or English law. In California, it would not be too difficult to get a temporary injunction stopping the transfer if the contract were clear enough.

I know the history. But this is too indirect for this to be the straw that breaks the camel's back, it would be too petty on our part. Atleti are the ones being dishonourable should the smoke signals be accurate.

If Southampton has a valid contract and has made the Spurs aware of it, they are doing something wrong--particularly if they are using inside information from Mitchell in the process.

It's pretty pathetic from us trying to claim the player when even if it is correct is against the spirit of the negotiations. We should have just paid what he worth instead of doing this which means we will probably lose him IMO.

I think it would be pretty pathetic to pay more for a player than we are legally obligated to do. Maybe Roma should do the honorable thing and refund us 5 or 10 million pounds from the Osvaldo deal since we clearly didn't get what we thought we were buying.

No idea why everyone is celebrating, this just looks like it is getting messier and becoming a sorry affair particularly if lawyers get involved. I cannot see this ending quickly and this must be very frustrating for Toby!

Because we are causing the hated Tottenham problems after last summer where they caused us problems.

Edited by Redslo

I was going to say that sounds like a likely cause of any problems. I would assume, however, that the contract probably had a provision that one language's version was the official one.

I know nothing about the relevant procedures in Spanish or English law. In California, it would not be too difficult to get a temporary injunction stopping the transfer if the contract were clear enough.

If Southampton has a valid contract and has made the Spurs aware of it, they are doing something wrong--particularly if they are using inside information from Mitchell in the process.

I think it would be pretty pathetic to pay more for a player than we are legally obligated to do. Maybe Roma should do the honorable thing and refund us 5 or 10 million pounds from the Osvaldo deal since we clearly didn't get what we thought we were buying.

Because we are causing the hated Tottenham problems after last summer where they caused us problems.

So damn yankie. Go self righteous one go.

Good point. Legally, this must mean Spurs have to stop for the mo

Nope, they are unrelated to any agreement, it is AM that have to stop.

My gut feel is we are playing our hand now as it looked like the Spurs deal had momentum. This buys us time and a seat at the table. I think we will get him at an Undisclosed Fee paying somewhere between the original fee and the Spurs bid as AM will want to save face.

You don't get this in football manager do you pal.

Nope, they are unrelated to any agreement, it is AM that have to stop.

My gut feel is we are playing our hand now as it looked like the Spurs deal had momentum. This buys us time and a seat at the table. I think we will get him at an Undisclosed Fee paying somewhere between the original fee and the Spurs bid as AM will want to save face.

Ah ok.

Interesting this article doesnt seem to say AM were late, more that they haven't paid the clause that they need to should they sell elsewhere.

Goes on to say we would be happy to pay up to 11/12m plus receiving the clause payment.

Interesting also that the article states we have done most of our transfer business.

Edited by Saint Charlie

If this is all true then it is Atleti who are in the wrong and not Saints, so I find it baffling that some of our own supposed fans are being critical of the club and saying we should spend millions that seemingly we shouldn't have to legally.

A very messy affair though and you have to feel a bit for Toby who will want to know where his future lies.

Tottenham/Liverpool et al never seem to ask themselves the obvious question about why they never seem to be able to scout these players first time around, or god forbid bring them through the youth system. Then they get all excited like retards who pay list price for a new motor. Anyway, go up there and finish 6th, or stay here and finish 7th.

Mail says Saints did know that AM intended to pay the cash but that it may not have been paid on time.

Also says the Spurs deal still almost certain to happen and he was expected to hold talks with them tomorrow but possibly wil be delayed now.

Privately he prefers a Spurs move apparently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3150195/Southampton-believe-entitled-sign-Toby-Alderweireld-Atletico-Madrid-fail-cancel-6-8m-buy-clause-Tottenham-agree-11-5m-fee-defender.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Mail says Saints did know that AM intended to pay the cash but that it may not have been paid on time.

Also says the Spurs deal still almost certain to happen and he was expected to hold talks with them tomorrow but possibly wil be delayed now.

Privately he prefers a Spurs move apparently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3150195/Southampton-believe-entitled-sign-Toby-Alderweireld-Atletico-Madrid-fail-cancel-6-8m-buy-clause-Tottenham-agree-11-5m-fee-defender.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

They haven't really added anything new there, this is going to go on and on I think.

If Alderweireld turns down Southampton, as it is believed he is keen to despite spending a year on loan at St Mary’s, then Saints believe they could well be due a lucrative compensation package.

According to ‘sources close to the deal’, Alderweireld is still virtually certain of signing for Tottenham, despite the threat of legal action.

Hmmmmmmm?

Redslo quote: Maybe Roma should do the honorable thing and refund us 5 or 10 million pounds from the Osvaldo deal since we clearly didn't get what we thought we were buying.

Now that would be a some good business! Although we might have Liverpool knocking on our doors as well...

More twists and turns than a twisty turny thing :?

Unless A Madrid really are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun. ;)

I'm sure Les and the Lawyers have A Cunning Plan :lol:

Let's hope Les hasn't mistakenly sent a sponge bag to Bob Massingbird then.... ;)

Edited by markr27

AM have fecked up.....or the deal with us was done long ago, and this is buying AM and us and even spuds good media time, will be interesting to see how this goes, good to see we have a back bone that is getting stronger, from what i see if you want to buy one of our players, you pay wht we want, and if you enter into deal with us you better keep to it....good times :)

All this on a Sunday Night, god knows what will happen tomorrow!!

More twists and turns than a twisty turny thing :?

Unless A Madrid really are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun. ;)

I'm sure Les and the Lawyers have A Cunning Plan :lol:

Let's hope Les hasn't mistakenly sent a sponge bag to Bob Massingbird then.... ;)

I believe Atletico sent the release clause notification & cash by carrier pigeon. 'Speckled Jim' was last seen flying over Flanders...

AM have fecked up.....or the deal with us was done long ago, and this is buying AM and us and even spuds good media time, will be interesting to see how this goes, good to see we have a back bone that is getting stronger, from what i see if you want to buy one of our players, you pay wht we want, and if you enter into deal with us you better keep to it....good times :)

I don't believe so. IMHO, AM are trying it on - see if they can sell TA at a higher amount than agreed with us, which Spurs have done, and then just sell him and ignore the clause to sell to us at the agreed amount WITHOUT paying us the compensation. They probably believed that we would not go legal (and we have not yet done so, just said we are thinking about it. Probably cost us more than the 2M Euro compensation fee in legal fees to take them to court with uncertainty of outcome, so they gambled on us not doing so).

Also another reason for not cancelling the buyout option was in case no one else wanted Toby, then we would have to buy him. Let's face it, apart from Spurs no one else seems remotely interested (personally don't really believe the Chelsea interest - they would have him in a heart beat if they were serious).

AM are in financial trouble so don't doubt the efforts they will go to try and gain a few million euros.

Not so much with other clubs,but fans,have you seen the stuff from Saints fans on social media...granted the spurs fans are just as bad,but some of the stuff I have been reading was pretty cringe

Two things.

1) Don't bother to read what fans who know nothing, and can't even comprehend a legal scenario, think about the situation.

2) The use of the word "cringe" is in itself utterly cringeworthy.