Saints vs Burnley - Build Up

Lighthouse

Burnley come to St Marys, fresh off the back of a win against Man City. However that was only their second win since beating Saints at Turf Moor in December and the Clarets have only won once on the road all season (at Stoke). Incidentally, Burnley's last points away from home came in a 1-1 draw at Chelsea.

I'm not sure on the team. On the one hand I want to stick with Long up front. On the other, Burnley are likely to sit far deeper than Chelsea did and Long would have a lot less space to run in to.

Well, at last, back to a 3pm Saturday kick off, so pleased about that! I don't think they will park the bus like the last four teams at SM did, just not their style of play or their strength. Interesting to see Tottons finest back! Is he better than Shane Long right now? Looked good last night v Man C.

Same team that started today please

As for burnley. They don't strike me as a team that will play 5 in midfield and park the bus so to speak. Of course they will want to keep it tight but they will no doubt play two up top with player like Boyd out wide to cause us problems.

Can't see anything than a win for us if they play like that. But burnley have been fantastic this season and really hope they stay up (after losing to us of course)

Edited by Batman

Looking forward to this one, thanks to Mane's late winner v Palace i haven't been to a losing game this year... We're so overdue a few goals, reckon Burnley might be fodder. (hopefully)

I don't think they will be the pushovers their league position suggests. I think whoever scores first goal will win this, so vital we get it.

Same team as today please :) If it ain't broke, don't fix it and all that.

Burnley are a very energetic team, think George Boyd and some of their other players are in the top 10 for most distance ran in each game.

If we negate their pressing with quick passing and high tempo, we can get in behind the team.

Come on you Saints :)

and when was the last time we had a home game kick off at 3pm? Was it 20 December vs Everton? Funnily enough that was last time Pelle scored in league as well ;)

Prediction: 1-0 (Long)

Let's be honest, they're a very limited side in terms of ability - but they play with a high tempo, a desire and a passion - that bridges the ability gap as we saw at City.

They'll do the same against us. They're not the sort of side who can sit back and defend with 2 banks of 4, they like to attack and they have the perfect focal points up top to cause problems. But if we frustrate them and retain the ball we will create chances and hopefully we're a bit more clinical!

This is the ideal home game to have on the back of a terrific draw. Arsenal are away at Newcastle and Utd and L'Pool play each other on the Sunday. So come this time next week, we could well be right back deep in the mix. We'll take this right to the death, but I'll say that Top 7 looks pretty much done whatever the outcomes.

Honestly can't tell anymore if you're taking the p1ss or are just that stupid...

Really. I think its quite obvious.

We should go with the same starting XI as yesterday, make sure we don't give anything away early on, the one thing we cannot let them do is get an early goal. Hopefully we get Elia and Reed on the bench for this one (instead of Gardos and JWP).

We need to beat Burnley or at least draw to keep the 25 point gap between us and the relegation zone.

Honestly can't tell anymore if you're taking the p1ss or are just that stupid...

Of course it's a joke !

Aren't "jokes" meant to be funny and not the same stream of negative **** repeated on a loop for 6 years?

broken-record.jpg

Edited by Matthew Le God

If we beat Burnley mathmatically it would guarantee our survival. We would be on 53 points and the maximum Burnley could get would be 49 points. We already can't finish any lower than 18th, which is where Burnley at the moment. If Leicester and QPR somehow were to win all of their remaining games, it would take them to 49 points, so even if we lost all of our remaning matches, they couldn't overhaul us. In fact, I think even a point would be enough to ensure that mathmatically we couldn't go down. Everyone from Liverpool and above are already safe.

If we beat Burnley mathmatically it would guarantee our survival. We would be on 53 points and the maximum Burnley could get would be 49 points. We already can't finish any lower than 18th, which is where Burnley at the moment. If Leicester and QPR somehow were to win all of their remaining games, it would take them to 49 points, so even if we lost all of our remaning matches, they couldn't overhaul us. In fact, I think even a point would be enough to ensure that mathmatically we couldn't go down. Everyone from Liverpool and above are already safe.

Well done on even bothering to type that.

TL: DR

If we get a point at Burnley, Dalek has to find a new dead horse.

Edited by Twiggy
smileys -.-

Same line-up as against Chelsea please!

The only possible change would be Pelle in for Long (but I think that would be unfair on Long), or maybe Pelle in for Tadic if we want to go more attacking/direct.

Perhaps Davis could drop out for Djuricic or Elia if fit, but I'd like to see Davis get a run in the side again.

Same team for me, we created so many more chances against Chelsea than we did in the previous few games. Long and Mane showed glimpses that they might be able to lnk up really well with a bit of playing time.

---------------Forster-----------------

-Clyne ---Fonte---- Toby ----Bertrand

-----Schniederlin - Wanyama-----

Davis ---------------------Tadic

---------Mane--------------------

-----------Long------------------

Would add Reed to the bench in place of one of our CBs. Think he gives us a good option to add a bit of energy

Same team for me, we created so many more chances against Chelsea than we did in the previous few games. Long and Mane showed glimpses that they might be able to lnk up really well with a bit of playing time.

---------------Forster-----------------

-Clyne ---Fonte---- Toby ----Bertrand

-----Schniederlin - Wanyama-----

Davis ---------------------Tadic

---------Mane--------------------

-----------Long------------------

Would add Reed to the bench in place of one of our CBs. Think he gives us a good option to add a bit of energy

I tend to agree. Although, given Elia is likely (?) to be back from injury, competition for places on the bench has got very fierce all of a sudden...

So, possible bench: K.Davis, Yoshida, Reed, JWP, Djuricic, Elia, Pelle (hmm, only one defender though....)

Missing the cut: Gardos, Targett, Other U21/1st team 'fringe' players (i.e. Seager, Gallagher, McCarthy, Isgrove, Hesketh...)

Actually, given the form Seager is in for the U21s, there's a temptation to swap him for JWP but unlikely to happen I'd have thought.

Djuricic in for Davis - we should be more progressive against Burnley and Djuricic looks far more of a goal threat (and far more likely to provide a telling pass). Davis put in a reasonable shift defensively against Chelsea, but in an attacking sense he contributed absolutely nothing and surrendered possession several times through indecision.

Djuricic in for Davis - we should be more progressive against Burnley and Djuricic looks far more of a goal threat (and far more likely to provide a telling pass). Davis put in a reasonable shift defensively against Chelsea, but in an attacking sense he contributed absolutely nothing and surrendered possession several times through indecision.

I agree. Davis is a great player to have for games against the big boys, but at home against Burnley i'd like to see Djuricic come in

They'll probably go 442 again with Ings and Vokes, so hope we play 1 up front or 433, they'll struggle in midfield.

Long has probably done just about enough to keep his place but Elia and Djuricic must be eager to get a start.

Elia I can pass on but I like Djuricic, needs toughening up though, didn't he play for the U21s again yesterday ? Probably part of the process.

Well, at last, back to a 3pm Saturday kick off, so pleased about that! I don't think they will park the bus like the last four teams at SM did, just not their style of play or their strength. Interesting to see Tottons finest back! Is he better than Shane Long right now? Looked good last night v Man C.

Who is tottons finest?

I fancy 15/16 points from the next 27 to get us a top 6 (inc. beating spurs).

20/21 points would take us into the 70+ region and that would probably get you a top 4 spot I'd think.

but 15/16 points is the target for me. Finish around 65/66 points, beat spurs at home and 6th is pretty much done. That would be an epic season.

We play 6 of the bottom 7. Only 3 teams (Liverpool, City and Utd) have scored more than one goal against us. Should be super confident for a powerful finish and surge back up the table. I'm not though.

We play 6 of the bottom 7. Only 3 teams (Liverpool, City and Utd) have scored more than one goal against us. Should be super confident for a powerful finish and surge back up the table. I'm not though.
that is pretty amazing.

I am optimistic for a good run to finish out the season

Djuricic - what are you all seeing that I'm not ?. Thought It was no coincidence that with Davis back in the side the team gelled much better, when he went off they didn't. Personally he wouldn't even make my bench - jwt looks like a better back up and I'd have Elia back on the bench for late pace if needed. Must just be me but I've yet to see anything from Djuricic to suggest he is the level we need, even for the u21s, hoping he starts to prove me wrong.

Djuricic - what are you all seeing that I'm not ?. Thought It was no coincidence that with Davis back in the side the team gelled much better, when he went off they didn't. Personally he wouldn't even make my bench - jwt looks like a better back up and I'd have Elia back on the bench for late pace if needed. Must just be me but I've yet to see anything from Djuricic to suggest he is the level we need, even for the u21s, hoping he starts to prove me wrong.

Replace "Djuricic" with "Mane" and you've got a carbon copy of quite a few posts from earlier in the season... :)