Saints vs Burnley - Build Up

Lighthouse

Weird - I've not seen any of that. He's definitely got technique but I've not seen the speed or eye for a pass others have (and clearly Koeman too) and seems very lightweight to me, someone who may prosper in the italian leagues. Have we got another Ramires on our hands (didn't see what everyone else did in him either). I'll be having a proper look at Burnley. Looks to me like it's between him and Elia for a perm contract, and with Isgrove being signed up again it is this fella who has impressed.

Not sure you can compare with Mane who started very well but then lost his confidence when played wide left - or is this the point, are we playing him out of his best position ?

Djuricic - what are you all seeing that I'm not ?. Thought It was no coincidence that with Davis back in the side the team gelled much better, when he went off they didn't. Personally he wouldn't even make my bench - jwt looks like a better back up and I'd have Elia back on the bench for late pace if needed. Must just be me but I've yet to see anything from Djuricic to suggest he is the level we need, even for the u21s, hoping he starts to prove me wrong.

I thought Davis was very poor at the weekend and struggled both in attack and defence

Good pass from Djuricic last night to pick out Seager for the U21s first goal. I would probably start with Davis myself as he can fill in more for Vic/Morgan if they go forward but Djuricic has shown he can pick a pass and has good technique. Worth giving him 30 minutes off the bench against a tired Burnley defence to see what he can do -especially if we can't unlock their defence.

I thought Davis was very poor at the weekend and struggled both in attack and defence

I think everyone noticed Davis once he was subbed. I think some on here are blind to what he does for the team. His work rate is incredible. Very organized and does the basics exceptionally well. Links play and keeps the the tempo high.

Weird - I've not seen any of that. He's definitely got technique but I've not seen the speed or eye for a pass others have (and clearly Koeman too) and seems very lightweight to me, someone who may prosper in the italian leagues. Have we got another Ramires on our hands (didn't see what everyone else did in him either). I'll be having a proper look at Burnley. Looks to me like it's between him and Elia for a perm contract, and with Isgrove being signed up again it is this fella who has impressed.

Not sure you can compare with Mane who started very well but then lost his confidence when played wide left - or is this the point, are we playing him out of his best position ?

You should not read too much into the club's decision to sign Isgrove. He is one of only two club home grown players for European purposes--the other is Schneiderlin. If we qualify for Europe he does not take up a roster spot that could be used by anyone else so the only reason not to sign him is if he is literally (and I literally mean literally) worse than nothing. Of course, he could turn out to be a good and very useful player.

I think everyone noticed Davis once he was subbed. I think some on here are blind to what he does for the team. His work rate is incredible. Very organized and does the basics exceptionally well. Links play and keeps the the tempo high.
No-one is saying that Davis is a bad player, the vast majority of fans rate him and appreciate the work he puts in. But for a game against Burnley, at home, when we already have two excellent defensive midfielders, yet are struggling for goals going forward, it makes sense to sacrifice a bit of work-rate in exchange for some creativity.

You should not read too much into the club's decision to sign Isgrove. He is one of only two club home grown players for European purposes--the other is Schneiderlin. If we qualify for Europe he does not take up a roster spot that could be used by anyone else so the only reason not to sign him is if he is literally (and I literally mean literally) worse than nothing. Of course, he could turn out to be a good and very useful player.

Would Stephens and Turnbull not (eventually) qualify as club trained home grown players for UEFA purposes ?

Did Morgan have the 3 years necessary with us between the ages of 15 and 21? Came in the summer of 2008 when he was 18 and a half'ish, depends what the age of 21 means really, don't know myself, if it's on his 21st birthday then he wouldn't seem to have the time necessary.

Edited by Window Cleaner

No-one is saying that Davis is a bad player, the vast majority of fans rate him and appreciate the work he puts in. But for a game against Burnley, at home, when we already have two excellent defensive midfielders, yet are struggling for goals going forward, it makes sense to sacrifice a bit of work-rate in exchange for some creativity.

I like the point your making. What type of team are Burnley? Aggressive, physical?? Technically probably not as good. I guess they will try and kick us off the park? I would still play Davis and bring him off for more creativity around the 60 mins mark, when the game opens up. This is probably a very good game for Reed to be involved.

Im not saying he doesnt, Im saying he was poor on sunday.

I like the point your making. What type of team are Burnley? Aggressive, physical?? Technically probably not as good. I guess they will try and kick us off the park? I would still play Davis and bring him off for more creativity around the 60 mins mark, when the game opens up. This is probably a very good game for Reed to be involved.

Why ? I really rate Reed, think he'll be a great little player but he has shown next to no expansion to his game, very little inventiveness. He'll win the ball and play it quickly to someone that does have those qualities. Im afraid all the time morgan and vic are in the team he will struggle as both are not only technically better players in both attack and defence but both have that little extra to go forward.

I dont disagree with Sour personally. I cant see Burnley playing a particularly open gane either regardless of the points they need, Dyche isnt stupid, if they open up too much they'll get murdered. Id play a 4231 or narrow 442 (like against chelsea). Im not saying Ill necessarily drop Davis, he is usually very good, but if Elia is available he may be a better option on the right

I actually think this could be the first convincing win in a long time for us...esp. last five/six games where its been low scoring. We're bound to have a high scoring game once in a while and against burnley at home could be the ticket, despite all this talk of 'banana skins' and slipping up. Give em a right old drubbing 3-1 or something

I actually think this could be the first convincing win in a long time for us...esp. last five/six games where its been low scoring. We're bound to have a high scoring game once in a while and against burnley at home could be the ticket, despite all this talk of 'banana skins' and slipping up. Give em a right old drubbing 3-1 or something

I thought that last time we played Burnley as well..now although I think we'll win I'm not venturing any further than that. They've had some good results against top sides so it remains to be seen.

I thought that last time we played Burnley as well..now although I think we'll win I'm not venturing any further than that. They've had some good results against top sides so it remains to be seen.

Did you watch the man city burnley game on saturday? Would be interested to know how burnley played

As an allegedly attacking player, I've certainly noticed that he hasn't scored now in 40 league appearances, and he only has two assists this season. For all the reasons you mention, work rate, tidiness on the ball (though he's definitely much sloppier in possession this season than he ever has been) etc, Davis is the player we should be bringing on with twenty minutes to go to close the game out, not the player we should be starting with when we want to dominate in attack at home.

Did you watch the man city burnley game on saturday? Would be interested to know how burnley played

I did not no, my daughter gets a bit narked when I turn up at her house and spend 2 consecutive afternoons watching English football instead of buying her stuff in boutiques...kids eh!!!!

Djuricic reminds me a lot of Ramirez. Good technical player, effective if used in the right way. But to be a success he will need to be braver and more consistent than Ramirez has been.

I agree and, from the little seen so far, I think he looks after the ball much better and won't give it away cheaply. I think he has looked v promising so far considering his arrival in a completely new country and his lack of playing time this season.

Djuricic clearly has ability, but is lightweight and has yet to deliver a goal or an assist. Although tbf he should have had a pen vs Liverpool.

As much as Ramirez was poor defensively and gave the ball away cheaply at times, at least he could usually produce that killer ball and assist and the odd goal (from distance too).

Better option to have on the bench IMO to chase a game, though an expensive one.

Think Djuricic is ok, but nothing more, FWIW I actually thought Ramirez was better, especially at the start of this season - but not an awful lot in it.

Against Burnley, i'd be tempted to go with Djuricic instead of Davis, but only if he is going to have a shot.

Could Mane, Elia and Long play in behind Pelle?

Djuricic's heart is not in it, especially it seems when he is on the bench and used as an impact player. He said recently his heart is still in Portugal so must be hoping to be recalled from his loan spell here. The only way to succeed in "the Southampton way" is 100% full commitment which clearly is not there if his brief appearance at The Bridge was anything to go by. If he wasn't prepared to give his 100% to Saints one wonders why he came here in the first place. It must be much warmer on the bench over there than here. Chances are he doesn't fancy it here at all and will move on to a different club probably in Italy next year.

Djuricic's heart is not in it, especially it seems when he is on the bench and used as an impact player. He said recently his heart is still in Portugal so must be hoping to be recalled from his loan spell here. The only way to succeed in "the Southampton way" is 100% full commitment which clearly is not there if his brief appearance at The Bridge was anything to go by. If he wasn't prepared to give his 100% to Saints one wonders why he came here in the first place. It must be much warmer on the bench over there than here. Chances are he doesn't fancy it here at all and will move on to a different club probably in Italy next year.

You continually post the biggest heap of sh ite on here, which, in view of the competition, is a great effort.

Surely you are joking?

Player has been here for 4 games, looked good for most of that (although you are writing him off after a total of 181 minutes for a young player in a new country!).

And some quotes from radio Solent...

"my goal to stay here if at all possible,"

"The atmosphere at the club is really great because they haven't been in this situation in a long time."

The Serbia international, whose side are currently fourth in the Premier League, continued: "I think we can reach the goals that we want at the end of the season.

"I didn't expect such a great club and that's a good feeling."

Saints host seventh-placed Liverpool on Sunday in a crucial game in the race to secure Champions League football, and Djuricic said it is the type of high-pressure match he relishes.

"I like to play games under pressure with full stadiums and lots of attention. Playing against Liverpool is one of those games," he said.

The match will have extra significance in Djuricic's homeland with two other Serbian players - Saints team-mate Dusan Tadic and Liverpool's Lazar Markovic - hoping to feature in Sunday's clash.

"We have a very good national team," Djuricic added. For Serbian football it's very important to have players in the Premier League as I believe it is the best league in the world at the moment.

"The quality is really high and I'm hoping more Serbian players will come over the next few years.

From Davis the underrated, this forum has gone to Davis the one dragging us back.

And guess what? His performances have been at exactly the same level as always, even though Koeman has used him in almost all the midfield positions, the one he's used him the least in being his normal one!

As for Djuricic, he'll say whatever suits him. Recently to a Portuguese newspaper he said his number one goal was to come back to Benfica.

From Davis the underrated, this forum has gone to Davis the one dragging us back.

And guess what? His performances have been at exactly the same level as always, even though Koeman has used him in almost all the midfield positions, the one he's used him the least in being his normal one!

As for Djuricic, he'll say whatever suits him. Recently to a Portuguese newspaper he said his number one goal was to come back to Benfica.

Yeah nobody is slagging off Davis fella, he had a poor gane against chelsea thats all, still in most peoples first 11

You continually post the biggest heap of sh ite on here, which, in view of the competition, is a great effort.

He managed to be completely wrong aswell, which was impressive considering there was a thread on Djuricic talking about his quotes regarding staying at saints.

Isnt he an Arsenal fan anyway ?

Yeah nobody is slagging off Davis fella, he had a poor gane against chelsea thats all, still in most peoples first 11

I just don't understand people that think we should have a first choice 11. The balance of your midfield should be different playing away at Chelsea compared to at home against Burnley. That's just common sense and is part of the reason for having big squads.

I just don't understand people that think we should have a first choice 11. The balance of your midfield should be different playing away at Chelsea compared to at home against Burnley. That's just common sense and is part of the reason for having big squads.

Its always horses for courses to a small extent but most teams will have a settled 11, and I include most of the top six in that, Im not a massive fan of major change and prefer consistancy. I can understand the thoughts of leaving out Davis for Elia perhaps, Burnley will be compact so a tad more pace and trickery may make sense.

But generally my first 11 will bemore or less the same dependant on form and fitness

I'd advocate hitting Burnley hard from the start and start with Mane, Long and Pelle. Mane and Pelle up front with Long playing as an attacking midfield with Davies (or tadic etc), in front of Morgan and Vic. I know Burnley play a physical game, but put them under pressure from the start, and playing essentially three up front could be the way to do it.

They are in the bottom three for a reason and we should be able to win this one if we play with the confidence that we showed in the first half at Chelsea.

I usually come with my oldest son (16) but he has had to cancel, so I am bringing my younger boy (13) who hasn't really got any real interest in football. He asked if it was going to be noisy (we have tickets in Northam stand) the older boy p**ed himself.

Anyway, last two times we have journeyed over from darkest Kent has been for Man City & Swansea. So change your son, change your luck I am hoping!

I guess the same side as started against Chelsea?

I would like Pelle to get on and get a goal, I would also like to see Harrison Reed get a runout. If big Vic gets suspended (which is fairly likely) then I would like him match sharp

Davis' scoring touch seems to have gone though.

You don't half spout some tripe.

I'd say that Davis has been one of our most consistent performers since returning to the PL. I've never seen him have an abysmal or horrific game, he's always steady to exceptional. Needs to have a bit more of a goal threat, but every manager seems to love him as he's such a perfect versatile, agile and clever midfield player.

Haven't seen mentioned. Burnley have sent block 44 back. Can't be bringing very many at all then. Shame as most of the ground seems to be almost sold out apart from a lot of block 43/44 which will have empty seats. Will look sh*t on TV.

Dragging us back with no league goals for over a year and only two assists this season? Come off it. Tidy player, but absolutely not the answer to our lack of goals.