Adkins on SSN this morning talking Saints and UCL/PL title

Saint-Armstrong

Quick summary of what was said by NA and the others on 'the Morning view'...

- Leicester, QPR and Sunderland to go down

- Burnley are battling, Leicester have too much to do, QPR are hit and miss, Sunderland are lacking

- Asked about his time at Saints, said he loves the club, the people there and the supporters

- Said to get used to seeing Saints challenging for Europe

- That's where Saints are going

- Everyone from Katharina to the kitman is ready for Saints to become a European club

- Players will continue to come and go

- But, Southampton are built on the firmest of firm foundations

- They will just march on

- City can still win the title

- It's all about desire

- They need to play their own game, control the controllables

- That will put the pressure back on Chelsea

- If Chelsea can handle it, then they win the title

- If not, then City need to take their opportunity

- Can Saints make top four this season? Yes.

- The teams around Southampton are all playing each other soon

- Saints need to hold their nerve, hopefully they do it

Good old nige. Hope he gets a good job soon.

Leicester could look at him in the summer, knows how to get a club with proper financial backing (e.g. not Reading) promoted and would wipe away some of this term's negativity. No offence to the other Nigel who I like from his time here in 2008 but Adkins' brand of attacking football would give their fans a lift and win games, he never had the squad to do it at Reading as McDermott was quite direct in style of play.

Would hate to see him go to a basket case club though.

I love Nigel Adkins - consequent promotions under some fairly incredible pressure, I'd imagine.

Gave us some absolutely fantastic moments.

Hope he finds himself a good job soon.

It'd be nice if Saints invited him back like they do with memorable figures from the club's past, as guest of the club, chit-chat pre-match pitch side and then have him watch with the directors.

Will it happen? No idea - he might be too humble for that.

Nigel was such a genuinely nice guy and we owe him a great debt of gratitude for what he did for us. It is typical of the man that he talks about us without rancour and with fondness. I do hope that he gets a decent next club. He should have waited until he got a better offer than Reading, as his stock was high when he left us.

Only manager I can remember of recent times who genuinely had the clubs best interests at heart, Poch clearly didn't and only time will tell with Ronald, if he has a good couple of seasons here, surely he couldn't resist Barcelona?

Can't really say I'd blame him. One of the biggest clubs on the planet, which he also has a personal connection too. If he was to honour his contract here, and in that time do well enough to attract Barca's attention, you'd imagine that would mean keeping us up fighting where we are now/maybe a Cup/Euro run, then left for them I'd wish him the best.

I wouldn't begrudge Ronald a move to Barca, I think he see's them as 'his' club, so it's a natural fit a few years down the line - not yet though, and he gets that. He's an honourable person and he will stick to what he said - he will finish his contract here, he's very bullish on that. And if he finishes his contract with us still pushing for top 4, then he deserves a crack at a huge club if it's available.

MP was never committed long-term, he was only here for the chairman as he repeatedly said. He never quashed speculation or committed his future, he was sniffing for a new club for a good 50% of last season.

Top, top bloke. Will always have a special place at Saints, and a special place in my heart. The only lasting negatives are we were never champions of either league 1 or the Championship (a bit of me thinks he (and the team) bottled the Reading game).

but WTFILN

It'd be nice if Saints invited him back like they do with memorable figures from the club's past, as guest of the club, chit-chat pre-match pitch side and then have him watch with the directors.

Will it happen? No idea - he might be too humble for that.

This^^

I remember WGS coming down to do TV work during Saints v Coventry in the Championship season. Got a standing ovation as he walked around the stadium Nigel would get an even better reception I reckon.

With hindsight L1 was my favourite time with Saints, despite the uncertainty and sometimes dodgy performances.

mine was the year in the championship.....sheer utter enjoyment from day one. Never thought we would hold our own like we are doing after two quick promotions.

Thanks Nige.

Absolutely love Nigel, always going to have a place in my heart for what he achieved with us. Would love to see him take over at a stable club and bring them up like he did with us - looking like Wigan will go down atm so they may bring him in if Mackay gets sacked/resigns.

Top man. First saw him when I was at Wembley for the St Johnstone Trophy , Luton v S****horpe. Brilliant game, won 3 -2 by Luton in extra time and Nigel could not have been better in defeat, was very complimentary about Luton and very upbeat about S****horpe's league campaign, despite the obvious disappointment. An absolute gent.

I have to say, it's a shame we can't find a role for him at the club. Such a great guy. Would do wonders with some of the youngsters.

I think Nige would be the natural replacement for Sammy Lee when he moves on.

I can see him in the Tracksuit jumping around excitedly hugging everyone whenever Saints score.

Yes absolutely, but I wonder how much that not 'winning' anything sealed his fate with our ex-chairman?

Not in the slightest I would suspect. Doubt Cortese was bothered about L1 and Championship Cups.

nigel was sacked because Cortese saw that his kind of football, in which we see Leicester playing, ain't going to cut it in the EPL, not to the ambition of Cortese anyway.

clearly it was a horrible decision that cut loose a genuinely great guy, but as a football thing, we are in a place now in respect of position, style and stature that we would never have been (probably) under Nige.

I think Nige would be the natural replacement for Sammy Lee when he moves on.

I can see him in the Tracksuit jumping around excitedly hugging everyone whenever Saints score.

There is no way Adkins would be here or any top flight club the size of saints as a coach. Not even assistant manager but coach. Not at this stage of his career. Why on earth would you think that

Sammy lee and Erwin Koeman have both managed big clubs before taking on assisting roles at Southampton. Sammy lee managed Bolton before returning as academy coach. It's not in conceivable.

That said, I would expect Nigel's next appointment to be Sheffield Wednesday manager where he can once again target premier league glory.

Sammy lee and Erwin Koeman have both managed big clubs before taking on assisting roles at Southampton. Sammy lee managed Bolton before returning as academy coach. It's not in conceivable.

That said, I would expect Nigel's next appointment to be Sheffield Wednesday manager where he can once again target premier league glory.

Lee managed Bolton in the same way Reed managed Charlton.

Adkins will not become a coach at Saints.

His worst managerial decision was taking the reading job. At that point he'd been harshly sacked, 2 promotions and had a saints side he'd turned around and looked like keeping up. He'd have got a better job.

Somewhere like Forest, Derby, even a west brom, palace perhaps. He'll probably have to drop down further now and start over.

At the time it didn't seem a bad shout though. He got to stay in the area, and although Reading were as good as down their financial situation appeared far better on the face of it (and even if not, they had the parachute payments to fall back on) as well as a half-decent Academy and a respected DoF in Nicky Hammond. Can certainly see why he took the job.

I love Nigel, but cannot let my affection for the man get in the way of a new word I've invented, precisely for this sort of thread.

nadkins

Talking soppy old nostalgic bóllócks about our former promotion winning manager.

Love the guy. Have a feeling he may replace another ex-Saints manager Nigel when he finally goes. I hope for his sake he does - think Leicester would be a good fit for him. A 'real club' (as opposed to plastic Reading), and a bit of money behind them.

Probably a nice bloke,if a little nauseating with the stuff he says.

Not a very good manager though......unless he has the pick of the best players in the league he's in.

But then he can still only manage second.

Tactically very poor.

Should've done better with what he had at his disposal.

Hence no one rushing out to employ him.

But that won't stop the sickly love in by saints fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk